B&W Owner's Thread - Page 825 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 755Likes

post #24721 of 24735 Old 03-06-2017, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I am new to this forum and put up an earlier post asking opinions on various speaker options, one of them being the B&W 685 S2. I have definitely noticed there seems to be a strong dislike from people on here and even in general in the audio world towards B&W. I personally believe that they are good speakers, not necessarily better or worse then other brands such as Monitor Audio, KEF, Focal, etc... I think they all have their own unique sound and design. I am curious as to what B&W owners feel is the reason behind the knock on them.

I have recently been out looking at and comparing speakers for my front set-up and am looking at either the B&W 685 S2 and matching center or a pair of Monitor Audio Silver One and matching center. I can honestly say I was impressed at how both sounded. Both sounded great, just a little different in their sound. What I would like to know from the B&W owners is, what type of music do you mostly play on them. Are they a speaker which excels at one type of music over the other?

On a side note, when I was going around to various stores auditing different speakers, one of the sales associates who sold B&W was nice enough to let me hear a pair of 805 D3's connected to a Belcanto amplification system. Wow, these blew me away. I couldn't believe the detail, depth and power of these speakers. And they looked stunning as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24722 of 24735 Old 03-06-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
I am new to this forum and put up an earlier post asking opinions on various speaker options, one of them being the B&W 685 S2. I have definitely noticed there seems to be a strong dislike from people on here and even in general in the audio world towards B&W. I personally believe that they are good speakers, not necessarily better or worse then other brands such as Monitor Audio, KEF, Focal, etc... I think they all have their own unique sound and design. I am curious as to what B&W owners feel is the reason behind the knock on them.

I have recently been out looking at and comparing speakers for my front set-up and am looking at either the B&W 685 S2 and matching center or a pair of Monitor Audio Silver One and matching center. I can honestly say I was impressed at how both sounded. Both sounded great, just a little different in their sound. What I would like to know from the B&W owners is, what type of music do you mostly play on them. Are they a speaker which excels at one type of music over the other?

On a side note, when I was going around to various stores auditing different speakers, one of the sales associates who sold B&W was nice enough to let me hear a pair of 805 D3's connected to a Belcanto amplification system. Wow, these blew me away. I couldn't believe the detail, depth and power of these speakers. And they looked stunning as well.
I use 684 S1s for fronts, CM Center S2 for center, and 685 S1 for surrounds. They are great speakers. The knock most have on B&W, if any, is their price to value proposition. There are many here at AVS who will say there are other options for lower price and equal sound. I think these sentiments are normally more for the 600 series and mayyyybe the CM series. I got my S1s as open box for a great deal and love their sound. The 800 series are expensive, but there are much fewer people who will argue in regards to their price/value proposition. My own opinion is that speakers operate on a exponential curve of diminishing returns. An 800 series speaker absolutely sounds miles better than a 600 series speaker. However, the difference in Sound Quality from a $100 pair of Polks and $700 pair of 685 S2s is much larger than between a pair of 685 S2s and $3,000 805 D3s. That's just my opinion having A/B tested them. I'm not saying the Diamonds don't sound better, they definitely do. But the $600 more from the Polks to the 685 S2 is a larger overall jump in sound quality than the $2,300 jump from the 685 S2 to the 805 D3. This is just my opinion.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
Plasma 50" TV: Samsung PN50C8000 — DLP Projector: Optoma GT1080
Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
Center: B&W CM Center S2 — Surrounds: B&W 685 S1 — Subwoofer: Rythmik FV15HP
Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15 — Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
post #24723 of 24735 Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I use 684 S1s for fronts, CM Center S2 for center, and 685 S1 for surrounds. They are great speakers. The knock most have on B&W, if any, is their price to value proposition. There are many here at AVS who will say there are other options for lower price and equal sound. I think these sentiments are normally more for the 600 series and mayyyybe the CM series. I got my S1s as open box for a great deal and love their sound. The 800 series are expensive, but there are much fewer people who will argue in regards to their price/value proposition. My own opinion is that speakers operate on a exponential curve of diminishing returns. An 800 series speaker absolutely sounds miles better than a 600 series speaker. However, the difference in Sound Quality from a $100 pair of Polks and $700 pair of 685 S2s is much larger than between a pair of 685 S2s and $3,000 805 D3s. That's just my opinion having A/B tested them. I'm not saying the Diamonds don't sound better, they definitely do. But the $600 more from the Polks to the 685 S2 is a larger overall jump in sound quality than the $2,300 jump from the 685 S2 to the 805 D3. This is just my opinion.
I could swear the 805 D3 that the guy showed me were around $9000 for the pair, never-the-less, they were stunning.

You mentioned that you are using the 684 for the fronts and 685 for the surrounds. Does the 685 not put out a more full sound and deeper bass than the 684 do to it's larger driver 6.5 inch compared to 5.5 inch for the 684?

post #24724 of 24735 Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I could swear the 805 D3 that the guy showed me were around $9000 for the pair, never-the-less, they were stunning.

You mentioned that you are using the 684 for the fronts and 685 for the surrounds. Does the 685 not put out a more full sound and deeper bass than the 684 do to it's larger driver 6.5 inch compared to 5.5 inch for the 684?

Actually, since I have the older 684 S1s, they have two 6.5" drivers on each. The top one is for mid/bass, the bottom is for just bass. Even so, I crossover all my speakers at 80hz so the fronts are only pulling LFE from ~80hz-120Hz. The 685s I got for super cheap, I think $300 for the pair. Although they're the S1s, they still sound great and are more than competent as surround speakers. I never tried them as fronts, but I am sure they would hold their weight just fine.

Projector Screen: Elite VMAX2 Electric — Receiver:Pioneer Elite VSX-44 — Fronts: B&W 684 S1
post #24725 of 24735 Old 03-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Actually, since I have the older 684 S1s, they have two 6.5" drivers on each. The top one is for mid/bass, the bottom is for just bass. Even so, I crossover all my speakers at 80hz so the fronts are only pulling LFE from ~80hz-120Hz. The 685s I got for super cheap, I think $300 for the pair. Although they're the S1s, they still sound great and are more than competent as surround speakers. I never tried them as fronts, but I am sure they would hold their weight just fine.
I know that THX recommends setting your speakers to 80Hz but I actually prefer going lower if I can. I have my surrounds set to 60Hz and they sound great. They are B&W CCM665 in ceiling speakers. The installer actually set them like that as he said they are capable of going down to 50Hz. Unfortunately my fronts are set at 120Hz as that is as low as they can go being little satellites. This is why I am looking to replace them. Ideally what I am looking to do is have a left, right and center that I can set to 50Hz for home theater and be able to listen to music with only the left and right speaker in true 2 channel stereo. I find with a good set of speakers music actually sounds better without the sub kicking in. For most music 50Hz is ok for LF unless you really like heavy bass. The B&W 685 S2 I believe can go down to 50Hz.
post #24726 of 24735 Old 03-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joao_fr1 View Post
Hello, my name is Filipe and I'm from Portugal. Currently I have a pair of 684s1 speakers and a lcr60s3. I used to see mainly movies but right now I'm listening much more music.

I have a good deal to buy a pair of silver signature 25 speakers.

Do you think I will improve the sound quality in my stereo listenings? And what about in movies, will I notice a lot of differences to lcr60?

I have a denon x3200 receiver and I don't plan on changing or have two separate sets.

Thanks

Anybody?

I would appreciate some feedback about B&w silver signature 25.

Thanks in advance
post #24727 of 24735 Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I know that THX recommends setting your speakers to 80Hz but I actually prefer going lower if I can. I have my surrounds set to 60Hz and they sound great. They are B&W CCM665 in ceiling speakers. The installer actually set them like that as he said they are capable of going down to 50Hz. Unfortunately my fronts are set at 120Hz as that is as low as they can go being little satellites. This is why I am looking to replace them. Ideally what I am looking to do is have a left, right and center that I can set to 50Hz for home theater and be able to listen to music with only the left and right speaker in true 2 channel stereo. I find with a good set of speakers music actually sounds better without the sub kicking in. For most music 50Hz is ok for LF unless you really like heavy bass. The B&W 685 S2 I believe can go down to 50Hz.
My AVR can only set a universal crossover for all speakers - planning on upgrading that at the end of this year. That being said, I've played quite a bit with different crossovers. One of the principals I learned was that a very capable subwoofer "has more business" taking care of your LFE need's than a full range speaker, even if that speaker is spec'd to go into the low bass frequencies. I believe this is where THX's recommendation comes from. The foundational thought is that 5hz-80hz will (should) sound better coming from a good sub than a good full range speaker. So, relegate the duties in that range to them.

As always, it's personal preference and I always recommend A/B/C/etc. testing crossovers with same content back to back to see what sounds the best. I found 80hz sounded best between my B&Ws and my Rythmik FV15HP sub.

post #24728 of 24735 Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
My AVR can only set a universal crossover for all speakers - planning on upgrading that at the end of this year. That being said, I've played quite a bit with different crossovers. One of the principals I learned was that a very capable subwoofer "has more business" taking care of your LFE need's than a full range speaker, even if that speaker is spec'd to go into the low bass frequencies. I believe this is where THX's recommendation comes from. The foundational thought is that 5hz-80hz will (should) sound better coming from a good sub than a good full range speaker. So, relegate the duties in that range to them.

As always, it's personal preference and I always recommend A/B/C/etc. testing crossovers with same content back to back to see what sounds the best. I found 80hz sounded best between my B&Ws and my Rythmik FV15HP sub.
I remember my Previous Pioneer AVR couldn't do individual crossover either. If your planning on upgrading, look into the Marantz. They are very musical receivers and I have been very happy with mine so far. I know for Home Theater you definitely need a sub regardless of what kind of sub you have. But for music two channel music I believe it is actually better to have two good full range or close to full range speakers. That's why most of the really good two channel high end systems with 2 channel Amps don't use a sub. This is always been the challenge of mixing a home theater with a good two channel music system. At the end of the day you usually have to compromise and going with a good sub and have a crossover set somewhere. And your right, a good sub will make up the difference in Bass.
post #24729 of 24735 Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I remember my Previous Pioneer AVR couldn't do individual crossover either. If your planning on upgrading, look into the Marantz. They are very musical receivers and I have been very happy with mine so far. I know for Home Theater you definitely need a sub regardless of what kind of sub you have. But for music two channel music I believe it is actually better to have two good full range or close to full range speakers. That's why most of the really good two channel high end systems with 2 channel Amps don't use a sub. This is always been the challenge of mixing a home theater with a good two channel music system. At the end of the day you usually have to compromise and going with a good sub and have a crossover set somewhere. And your right, a good sub will make up the difference in Bass.

Definitely agree. I don't listen to music too often but I do enjoy listening to music in Stereo. Looking at the Marantz SR-7010 since I do have 9.2 plugged in now and can currently only power 7 at a time. So I constantly have to choose between front heights or rear surrounds. I'll be changing the speaker setup to 5.1.4 once I get the SR-7010

post #24730 of 24735 Old 03-14-2017, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfla View Post
Quote:

Berland...
Can you elaborate on what you don't like about the Classe Amp with Fan? I am considering a CT-5300 but others have said the fan runs quiet and if listening to music or TV you won't hear it. I presume that is not the case with yours?

thanks..
You don't hear much of the fan(s), but sometimes you can hear them a bit (during real quiet segments of a movie for example). Fans are mechanical and they are due to fail (or start making a lot of noise) eventually. Because of the construction of the cooling system of Classe amplifiers you also have a filter that needs cleaning. My Bryston is completely maintenance-free, which is a big plus. The sound in them are very similar. don't think you would ever pick on from the others in a "blind-test". Bryston does not have a 5 * 300W @ 8ohm option - that is of course the main reason I went for the Classe amplifier. I bought the Bryston first.

Happy with performance from both.

But Bryston's contruction is bullet-prof; and will last forver.

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - Marantz AV8802A - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - Samsung UE78JS9505 - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit
HP: 2*MOON Neo 430HA D - 2*Schiit Yggdrasil - 2*Audiobyte Hydra Z/ZPM - 2*iFi micro iUSB 3.0 - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846

Last edited by Berland; 03-14-2017 at 05:18 PM.
post #24731 of 24735 Old 03-14-2017, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
You don't hear much of the fan(s), but sometimes you can hear them a bit (during real quiet segments of a movie for example). Fans are mechanical and they are due to fail (or start making a lot of noise) eventually. Because of the construction of the cooling system of Classe amplifiers you also have a filter that needs cleaning. My Bryston is completely maintenance-free, which is a big plus. The sound in them are very similar. don't think you would ever pick on from the others in a "blind-test". Bryston does not have a 5 * 300W @ 8ohm option - that is of course the main reason I went for the Classe amplifier. I bought the Bryston first.

Happy with performance from both.

But Bryston's contruction is bullet-prof; and will last forver.
Thanks Berland,
Wanted to PM you with this question but sadly I am not active enough on the board to qualify for PM rights...
Subsequently I have already purchased the Classe amp, interesting thing that I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a CT-5300 when I procrastinated just long enough to find a CA-5300 for less then the CT.
I must admit that I was a bit concerned whether I would see a significant impact in performance in changing from my Outlaw Audio amp to the Classe. I have read so many differing opinions on the impact of amplification , but after installing the beast I can confidently say that I am very happy I made the change and I don't hear the fan at all.
best regards,
Patrick Butler likes this.

Marantz AV8802A - B&W 803D2 - HTM2D3 - Classe CA-5300 - Martin Logan Balanced Force 212 - Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT60
post #24732 of 24735 Old 03-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Well I finally got tired of looking at those non B&W midbass units in my pair of CDM1 speakers. Since they quit making the original drivers, I ordered CDM1NT Kevlar bass units to bring them back up to yellow status. The crossovers cost $70 ea. They only have an inductor, capacitor and a resistor. I'll just order the parts and build my own for a lot less.
post #24733 of 24735 Old 03-19-2017, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfla View Post
Thanks Berland,
Wanted to PM you with this question but sadly I am not active enough on the board to qualify for PM rights...
Subsequently I have already purchased the Classe amp, interesting thing that I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a CT-5300 when I procrastinated just long enough to find a CA-5300 for less then the CT.
I must admit that I was a bit concerned whether I would see a significant impact in performance in changing from my Outlaw Audio amp to the Classe. I have read so many differing opinions on the impact of amplification , but after installing the beast I can confidently say that I am very happy I made the change and I don't hear the fan at all.
best regards,
Amplifier does matter, Classe gives very high quality for the price. Yes, you can find better, but Classe (and Bryston) matches really well with B&W speakers.

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - Marantz AV8802A - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - Samsung UE78JS9505 - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit
HP: 2*MOON Neo 430HA D - 2*Schiit Yggdrasil - 2*Audiobyte Hydra Z/ZPM - 2*iFi micro iUSB 3.0 - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846
post #24734 of 24735 Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2083 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
Amplifier does matter, Classe gives very high quality for the price. Yes, you can find better, but Classe (and Bryston) matches really well with B&W speakers.
I would seriously look at the Monolith
post #24735 of 24735 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Moving into a new place soon and decided to change things up. Going straight 2 channel as I realized I value music the most. Sold all the speakers, subs, processor, and amp. Probably look into HT down the road once I can have a dedicated room and do it right.

For now, looking at just a pair of 804D3s with no subs with a high quality integrated amp. For source I will get the Oppo 205 once released. LG OLED stays but that's the extent of the system.

I had a chance to hear the 804D3s and they sounded amazing with a McIntosh integrated. I am also considering the Marantz PM-10 or the older PM-11S3. What are some other quality integrated amps that people like?

LG OLED65E6 | Marantz AV8802A | Marantz MM8077 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | PS Audio PerfectWave P3 | B&W CM9 | B&W CM5 | Dual JL Audio Fathom f112
Maingear Drift Z170 GTX 1080 HTPC | BDI Mirage 8227 | Logitech Harmony Elite | Synology DS916+ | TEAC UD-503 | Focal Solo6 Be | Vizio P50-C1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090