B&W Owner's Thread - Page 829 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 784Likes
post #24841 of 24852 Unread 05-17-2017, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ive decided to go with the CM10 s2 for my listening room. Any recommendations on dealers near the NYC area who will give me a good deal on the speakers. No one I call wants to deal. I don't want to buy from Magnolia but at least I can go to a 3.5% tax store in NJ, and get 10% reward zone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24842 of 24852 Unread 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I'd like to hear some well thought out opinions, not "X is best", on using:

Rotel RB-1590 - 2ch http://www.rotel.com/product/rb-1590
Rotel RMB-1585 - 5ch http://www.rotel.com/product/rmb-1585

vs

Parasound Halo JC1 - Mono x2 http://www.parasound.com/jc1.php
Parasound Halo A51 - 5ch http://www.parasound.com/a51.php

vs

Classé CA-M600 - Mono x3 https://classeaudio.com/ca-m600/
Classé CA-2300 - 2ch https://classeaudio.com/ca-5300/

For a 802 D2 7.2 Home Theater:

Fronts: 802 D2
Center: HTM2
Surround Side: 804 D2
Surround Rear: 804 D2

I can get Rotel for nearly 1/3 of the price of Parasound, and I can get Parasound for 1/2 the price of Classé. (Classe 6x price of Rotel)

Patrick, do you have any unbiased thoughts x)?

I know it's said Rotel & Classé is supposed to be a good match with B&W in general, but what about Parasound?

I was told by a local dealer that Classé CA-M600 was going to be discontinued. Is that true? @Patrick Butler

-Dan

Last edited by Mephobia; 05-17-2017 at 10:27 AM.
post #24843 of 24852 Unread 05-17-2017, 01:28 PM

I have heard overall good things about Classe. Personally I won't buy it because at those price points they shouldn't be making the product in China. I understand Rotel being made in China since the price is much more reasonable. What's next...800 series made in China?

post #24844 of 24852 Unread 05-17-2017, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Hi Mephobia,

All three brands make products that I'd be happy to listen to with the speakers that you are using/considering.

When I demonstrate Rotel versus Classé for dealers who attend our trainings in Boston, the audible differences are quite clear. The noise floor is lower, the soundstage is larger and more three dimensional, images are better rendered, and dynamics (large and small) are more apparent. At the point at which my dealers hear Classé, they've been listening to various Rotel products in a step-up style demonstration for around 40 minutes, and I don't think anyone walks away thinking Rotel isn't an outstanding level. But if you want to get to the next level- it will cost you.

Regarding Parasound versus Rotel, I'd say it depends on what kind of listener you are. Parasound is a little cooler sounding, while Rotel is a little warmer sounding. Difference of degrees.

Classé has discontinued the CA-M600 and CP-800, with the new Delta 3 range of products shipping in the Fall. Completely new designs input through output.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephobia View Post
I'd like to hear some well thought out opinions, not "X is best", on using:

Rotel RB-1590 - 2ch http://www.rotel.com/product/rb-1590
Rotel RMB-1585 - 5ch http://www.rotel.com/product/rmb-1585

vs

Parasound Halo JC1 - Mono x2 http://www.parasound.com/jc1.php
Parasound Halo A51 - 5ch http://www.parasound.com/a51.php

vs

Classé CA-M600 - Mono x3 https://classeaudio.com/ca-m600/
Classé CA-2300 - 2ch https://classeaudio.com/ca-5300/

For a 802 D2 7.2 Home Theater:

Fronts: 802 D2
Center: HTM2
Surround Side: 804 D2
Surround Rear: 804 D2

I can get Rotel for nearly 1/3 of the price of Parasound, and I can get Parasound for 1/2 the price of Classé. (Classe 6x price of Rotel)

Patrick, do you have any unbiased thoughts x)?

I know it's said Rotel & Classé is supposed to be a good match with B&W in general, but what about Parasound?

I was told by a local dealer that Classé CA-M600 was going to be discontinued. Is that true? @Patrick Butler
post #24845 of 24852 Unread 05-17-2017, 07:40 PM

Looks like the new Classe gear is going to be a lot more expensive than the current units. From what I am reading the pre/pro will be $9000 and the 2 channel amp $10000.
post #24846 of 24852 Unread 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thank you for your valuable input Patrick. It has certainly helped me make up my mind.

I'll start off with a Rotel combo and see when the new Delta 3 series is out if I'm a next level kind of guy or not.

-Dan
post #24847 of 24852 Unread 05-18-2017, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Early news had prices headed in that direction. More recent news has the prices significantly lower than first anticipated. We will see what things look like once Classé is closer to production. As an aside, I heard a prototype of the upcoming Delta Pre (CP-800 replacement) and let's say-it's a worthy successor.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatel1080 View Post
Looks like the new Classe gear is going to be a lot more expensive than the current units. From what I am reading the pre/pro will be $9000 and the 2 channel amp $10000.
post #24848 of 24852 Unread 05-19-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I need some center speaker advice please...

I just purchased a pair of the B&W 804 D3. I will be using them for playing music as well as for my home theater.
Due to my configuration of TV, projection screen, etc. I do not have too much space for a center speaker.
I was planning to buy the B&W CM Centre 2 S2, because it would fit exactly in the space I have. However I was told that this center speaker would not be timbre matching the main speakers. The recommendation was to go with the HTM2 D3.

Does anyone have experience if the HTM2 D3 would be far superior than the CM series center speaker?
Would the 804 D3 and the CM center speaker have strong noticeable tonal differences?

Any advice is welcome!
(Sorry for the double post...)

Thanks, Dan
post #24849 of 24852 Unread 05-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesselmarder View Post
Hi all,

I just purchased a pair of the B&W 804 D3. I will be using them for playing music as well as for my home theater.
Due to my configuration of TV, projection screen, etc. I do not have too much space for a center speaker.
I was planning to buy the B&W CM Centre 2 S2, because it would fit exactly in the space I have. However I was told that this center speaker would not be timbre matching the main speakers. The recommendation was to go with the HTM2 D3.

Does anyone have experience if the HTM2 D3 would be far superior than the CM series center speaker?
Would the 804 D3 and the CM center speaker have strong noticeable tonal differences?

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks, Dan
Look at the frequency range and response of the 804 D3 speakers then look at the range and frequency response of The HTM2 D3 followed by the frequency range and response of the CM centre 2 S2 and you will see that they are not even close. Then you are comparing diamond tweeters ,Continuum cones and Aerofoil cones to Aluminum, Kevlar and paper. Totally different sound, you spent the money on the 800 series for your mains complement them with the correctly matched timbre center. Your system will end up being nice. Why not put the HTM2 on stand on the floor in front of the screen? What does your room look like and how are the speakers placed? maybe some pics will help?
post #24850 of 24852 Unread 05-20-2017, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Hi all,

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks, Dan
I have a pair of B&W 804 D3 as front L/R and an HTM2 D3 as the center. The HTM2 D3 is a perfect match for the 804s. The CM Centre 2 S2 is a nice speaker; I have it in another room with other CM speakers. But you really should get the HTM2 to go with your 804s. My setup didn't have room for it at first, so I mounted the TV higher on the wall. It was worth it. I love the HTM2.

Bill Julyan
post #24851 of 24852 Unread Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Hi all,

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks, Dan
I previously had the 804 D2 matched up with the CM Centre 2 S2 and while it seemed to have worked well, I noticed a very large improvement when I went to the matching Diamond series Center.

Fast Forward a couple of years and I now have the 804D3 and have the HTM2 D3 matching center and did not even consider the CM Center 2. I highly recommend you do a back to back comparison but I think you will wind up with the HTMD3 as it matches the 804d3 perfectly.

Mcintosh C2500, MC302, MC8207
B&W 804D3, HTM2D3
Marantz 7702 mkII
Oppo 203, Sony UBP-X800
Sony XBR75X850C, Sony XBR55X800B (Bedroom) Sunbrite 46 (outside)
post #24852 of 24852 Unread Today, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone!

I currently have B&W 803 Nautilus speakers. I'm running them in an analog only setup with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP tube integrated amp. It sounds great! I've been thinking about upgrading my speakers, and have seen a set of 804D3 at a reasonable price.

Do you think this is a step up? Or, because of the smaller cabinet, will I miss the bass? My room is pretty large. I"m thinking the new D3s will have better imaging and a better overall presentation. But, I'm worried that they will be low on bass, compared to the larger 803s. Am I crazy for considering it? Going to the 803D3 is not in the budget.

Also, the Primaluna runs about 90 WPC, but with great power supplies. Plenty of power for the 803s. Will I need more power to run the 804D3?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090