B&W Owner's Thread - Page 830 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 787Likes
post #24871 of 24876 Unread Yesterday, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 126
My advice- listen to them with a female vocalist without a lot of backing instruments, and a another track with bass. If you hear any buzzing or other unnatural sounds, then there may be an issue with the speakers. Regarding transportation, bubble wrap if fine to protect the finish, provided it is clean. Lay them on their side in your SUV, or on their backs.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by theozzfactor View Post
Can someone provide any input? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24872 of 24876 Unread Yesterday, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Hi Ken,

My exchange with Jon is a bit of an inside joke. I don't believe that cost per watt, or cost per pound is a way of judging the merits of an amp, and I don't believe Jon believes that I believe it either. Jon's belief (and I'm paraphrasing) is that two similarly powerful amplifiers that are competently designed should sound pretty much identical, and that the only reason to buy the more expensive one is for reasons other than sound quality (build quality, looks, etc.)

Me pointing out the weight of Classé's upcoming amp and engaging in this whole discussion is an attempt at humor. Apologies for the confusion.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I can't believe there's actually a discussion about the cost of amps as measured by weight or watts per dollar. To my mind, how affordable is it for how it SOUNDS is paramount, with how it looks a distant second. That sound and what is "affordable" for one person or another is so varied and subjective that all of it is an individual rationalization. Weight and cost per watt has never been on the radar for me.
post #24873 of 24876 Unread Yesterday, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by theozzfactor View Post
Can someone provide any input? Thanks
What about using shrink wrap first and then the bubble and a moving blanket over them? Shrink wrap I think would provide a layer of protection and keep the finish from scratching from the bubble if there is dust particles on the bubble wrap. Just a suggestion.

audiomanz

post #24874 of 24876 Unread Yesterday, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I can't believe there's actually a discussion about the cost of amps as measured by weight or watts per dollar. To my mind, how affordable is it for how it SOUNDS is paramount, with how it looks a distant second. That sound and what is "affordable" for one person or another is so varied and subjective that all of it is an individual rationalization. Weight and cost per watt has never been on the radar for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi Ken,

My exchange with Jon is a bit of an inside joke. I don't believe that cost per watt, or cost per pound is a way of judging the merits of an amp, and I don't believe Jon believes that I believe it either. Jon's belief (and I'm paraphrasing) is that two similarly powerful amplifiers that are competently designed should sound pretty much identical, and that the only reason to buy the more expensive one is for reasons other than sound quality (build quality, looks, etc.)

Me pointing out the weight of Classé's upcoming amp and engaging in this whole discussion is an attempt at humor. Apologies for the confusion.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America
Yep. Just good natured humor. Patrick is kind enough to indulge my objectivist viewpoint. The null hypothesis is that all good amps sound the same (even Emotiva). Demonstrating a difference in sound quality would require rigorous double blind testing, which, it turns out, is very difficult to do. I simply don't trust my own or anybody else's ear if the comparisons are sighted. So, taken to the rather silly extreme, one could indeed argue that buying amplifiers by the pound or watt is a reasonable approach. In practice, I think that Bryston builds an excellent amp at a somewhat reasonable price, and so see no need to use higher priced amps like Classe, Ayre, Levinson, etc, based on subjective reviews. Just having a bit of fun, and Patrick is a good sport.
post #24875 of 24876 Unread Yesterday, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSBMAN View Post
Russ, If you compare speakers based on price.....you are missing out on some real beauty's.

Just because a speaker costs a small fortune doesn't mean it sounds good or performs well. It may be well built......but leave a person wanting in the end.

I've read and been told by dealers ( non B&W dealers) that the CM10 S2's could be the best bang for your buck in the line-up.
With these B&W CM10 S2's your getting up there Deep into the Diminishing Returns

These speakers just might be one of best bargains your find on the market!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ker_Review.htm

Last edited by musicman777; Yesterday at 05:13 PM.
post #24876 of 24876 Unread Today, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have heard the CM10 s2 and the 804d3 with rotel and McIntosh amps in 2 different rooms and both times I could not hear the "superiority" of the 804 without having to imagine the better highs and mid ranges that are supposed to be present. The 803d3 was on another level as is it's price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090