B&W Owner's Thread - Page 832 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 803Likes
post #24931 of 24942 Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
I'll just say in this instance I disagree with B&W. The largest signals are deep bass due primarily to the way we hear (we are much less sensitive to bass so need to turn it up for it to sound as loud as midrange signals -- Google Fletcher-Munson). That means a signal at say 50 Hz may need to be 100x or more louder than a signal at 1 kHz, and that means 100x the power. Setting the crossover lower means more power, more distortion, and all that jazz. I prefer to let the subwoofer do its thing and offload the mains (speakers and amplifiers). Other considerations are placement, since the best place for the mains in terms of imaging and such is rarely the best position for the sub(s) to reduce room modes/SBIR in the bass region, and for ported speakers (like the CM10) the drivers become "unloaded" and thus exhibit higher distortion below the tuning frequency. B&W's answer indicates a fairly low-Q system and/or port tune below their -3 dB spec (I do not know). Still, you have to dump more and more power into the speaker to get it to match volume as it rolls off; a 3 dB drop requires twice the power.

Given such a difference between B&W's opinion and that from an unknown internet poster (me), the temptation is to blow of the 'net guy, but I do encourage you to read about the subject a bit here and elsewhere before deciding. And you can always try both, though it is tricky since the added distortion in the bass often makes the speakers sound "fuller" even though it is distortion.
thyname likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24932 of 24942 Old 06-19-2017, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey avs,

Any tips for an amp to drive a pair 683 s2s? Or any other pertinent info about playing them. Thanks.
post #24933 of 24942 Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
I'll just say in this instance I disagree with B&W. The largest signals are deep bass due primarily to the way we hear (we are much less sensitive to bass so need to turn it up for it to sound as loud as midrange signals -- Google Fletcher-Munson). That means a signal at say 50 Hz may need to be 100x or more louder than a signal at 1 kHz, and that means 100x the power. Setting the crossover lower means more power, more distortion, and all that jazz. I prefer to let the subwoofer do its thing and offload the mains (speakers and amplifiers). Other considerations are placement, since the best place for the mains in terms of imaging and such is rarely the best position for the sub(s) to reduce room modes/SBIR in the bass region, and for ported speakers (like the CM10) the drivers become "unloaded" and thus exhibit higher distortion below the tuning frequency. B&W's answer indicates a fairly low-Q system and/or port tune below their -3 dB spec (I do not know). Still, you have to dump more and more power into the speaker to get it to match volume as it rolls off; a 3 dB drop requires twice the power.

Given such a difference between B&W's opinion and that from an unknown internet poster (me), the temptation is to blow of the 'net guy, but I do encourage you to read about the subject a bit here and elsewhere before deciding. And you can always try both, though it is tricky since the added distortion in the bass often makes the speakers sound "fuller" even though it is distortion.
You may be right on this and B&W wrong. I did quite a bit of reading.

Also, SVS tech support seems to agree with you, although they suggest 1/3 of an Octave higher than 45 Hz on CM10, not 1/2 or 1. So they suggested setting it at a minimum of 60 Hz, and then moving up (as in higher frequency crossover) from there.

Thanks again.

post #24934 of 24942 Old 06-19-2017, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 3467
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post

Also, SVS tech support seems to agree with you, although they suggest 1/3 of an Octave higher than 45 Hz on CM10, not 1/2 or 1. So they suggested setting it at a minimum of 60 Hz, and then moving up (as in higher frequency crossover) from there.

Thanks again.
80 Hz is a logical conservative starting point. When I had the CM10S2s I had the crossover set at 60 Hz and that seemed to work quite well (in my listening area).

Living Room: B&W 804D2, B&W ASW610, Yamaha RX-A2030, Rotel RC-1570, Rotel RB-1582 mkii, Oppo BDP-93, ATV.
Office: KEF LS50s, B&W ASW608, Parasound P5, Parasound A23, Marantz CD5004, Rega RP1, Bluesound Node 2.

Eastern Shore Audio Collective-E.S.A.C. Member, www.esac.club
post #24935 of 24942 Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

Thanks again.
That was definitely an odd answer from B&W. Having said that, it really depends on how you use the speakers. If 90% of your consumption is movies, tv or video games, an 80hz crossover is likely best. But, if you are more heavily into non aggressive music, running them full range without the subs could make you very happy.

I agree with the ideal crossover point for the CM10 when using subs to be somewhere around 80hz. Crossing to a sub at 40hz is wasting a sub and tasking your low freq drivers on the CM10 to do too much of the deep stuff, which will have a negative effect on midbass. Drivers can only change direction so fast.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - DefTech Mythos Ten - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21- Anthem MRX 720 - Samsung UN65JS8500

2CH: Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M - Parasound Halo A23 - Bluesound Node 2 - Iomega NAS

WAF is currently at DEFCON RED
post #24936 of 24942 Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
That was definitely an odd answer from B&W. Having said that, it really depends on how you use the speakers. If 90% of your consumption is movies, tv or video games, an 80hz crossover is likely best. But, if you are more heavily into non aggressive music, running them full range without the subs could make you very happy.

I agree with the ideal crossover point for the CM10 when using subs to be somewhere around 80hz. Crossing to a sub at 40hz is wasting a sub and tasking your low freq drivers on the CM10 to do too much of the deep stuff, which will have a negative effect on midbass. Drivers can only change direction so fast.
Just to clarify, this is for my stereo setup only. 100% music.
post #24937 of 24942 Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Just to clarify, this is for my stereo setup only. 100% music.
Seems like you'd want the crossover set so that the bass response is flat, which means higher than the -3dB point for the CM10s.
post #24938 of 24942 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post
Seems like you'd want the crossover set so that the bass response is flat, which means higher than the -3dB point for the CM10s.
Higher than the 45 HZ? I set the crossover on the subs at 60 Hz yesterday. That's what the sVS people suggested, as well as one of the posters here. I will keep experimenting with the crossover, but I certainly believe that should be higher than the 45 Hz.

Thanks!
post #24939 of 24942 Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Higher than the 45 HZ? I set the crossover on the subs at 60 Hz yesterday. That's what the sVS people suggested, as well as one of the posters here. I will keep experimenting with the crossover, but I certainly believe that should be higher than the 45 Hz.

Thanks!
That sounds about right. It may be even higher, say 80Hz. The difference may be subtle. Seems like you could plot the frequency responses on top of each other to see where the summation remains flat in the transition region.
post #24940 of 24942 Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Does anyone here own the old classic B&W 801 Matrix Series 2 or Series 3 speakers?

Audiophile fanboy beliefs are based on myth, superstition and ego.
post #24941 of 24942 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Ceiling mounted rears

Which B&W speakers can I ceiling mount that will perform well as surrounds with 804d3 towers and the HTM2D3 center? 80% movies / 20% music.

I have been looking for any information on ceiling mounting CM6S2 but I can't find anything.
I am trying to avoid in-ceiling speakers.

Thanks
post #24942 of 24942 Unread Today, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
Which B&W speakers can I ceiling mount that will perform well as surrounds with 804d3 towers and the HTM2D3 center? 80% movies / 20% music.

I have been looking for any information on ceiling mounting CM6S2 but I can't find anything.
I am trying to avoid in-ceiling speakers.

Thanks
I have been looking for the same for Atmos speakers, do not want to do in ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090