B&W Owner's Thread - Page 842 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 891Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #25231 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jeahrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Iowa, USA
Posts: 2,011
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
^^
Anyone opinions guys? Please need some input. Thank you so much!
As good as the Nautilus speakers are, I would have a hard time spending that much on 17 year old gear. Ultimately it's up to you as I'm sure they'll sound wonderful. If you can audition them and then go give some newer speakers a listen. I'll go out on a limb and say that the 17 year newer 700 series speaker with the decoupled tweeter will probably give them some stiff competition.
musicman777 likes this.

jeahrens is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25232 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I've spent my entire career in the Hollywood theatrical sound community: dubbing stages are calibrated to the X-Curve. If there *was* a BBC dip in their monitors, it would be EQd out when the stage is calibrated. And by far the most common speakers on Hollywood dubbing stages are JBL (although there is a lot of competition here - Meyer Sound is also popular, and others. B&W not so much, despite their prominence on the scoring stage at Abbey Road).

And speaking of marketing - how much do you suppose B&W has paid Abbey Road over the years to keep those 800s front and center?

I don't mean to be overly critical - I like B&W and am using a set of 600 S2 for my primary 5.1 system.
Skywalker Sound uses B&W 800. That's pretty much everything Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, John Williams, James Horner, and just about everyone else.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25233 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Skywalker Sound uses B&W 800. That's pretty much everything Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, John Williams, James Horner, and just about everyone else.
The control room for the *scoring* stage has B&W (among others), but the dubbing stage where the movies are mixed absolutely do not.

The Goldwyn Theater for the Academy? JBL. The Wolf Theater for the TV Academy? JBL and Meyer.

There is a stage at Park Road that uses 800s in a dub stage, but that is fairly rare.
dschulz is online now  
 
post #25234 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Lightbulb

[quote=NagysAudio;54782820]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post

After listening to and buying the 703 S2s, I no longer have the urge to get 804 D3s. Will be going straight to 803 D3s, once I'm done playing with 703s.

That's why I'm waiting for the bigger 700s2's to come on the market to see how they compare to the 803 D3 and 802 D3's!

To my ears I just like the sound of the 700 series better than the 800 series! You are already deep into the Diminishing Returns with both these great series so it will always come down to personal taste!
musicman777 is online now  
post #25235 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
Personally I think flat speakers sound boring compared to the B&W sound....thats specifically why we bought the B&W.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After having a truckload of experience with all types of speakers and rigs, both pro and consumer, I wholeheartedly agree.

Harmon has concluded that a broad range of people prefer flat speakers. Okay, so what? A broad range of people also preferred no doc loans, liberally biased newscasts, and Jefferson Starship. They also tend to believe anything written via "white paper" as if it were gospel.

Sophisticated, discerning people prefer a speaker to sound lovely, not cold. B&W speakers sound lovely.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB2000 - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is offline  
post #25236 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spincut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,041
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Most are wrong. It's not the power. 80 watts is plenty for all B&W speakers. But what one needs are quality amplifiers to get good sound. That excludes garbage like Denon or digital amps in Pioneer, etc. I always recommend Rotel as the best hidden secret in audio and priced right where B&W owners should be able to afford. And if you can't afford Rotel, then buy a Bose soundbar.
Wait, since when did Denon become "garbage", particularly among AVR brands? I recall posting on here last year sometime (as I continue to hover over grabbing some CM6 S2's) to be certain the AVR's I was eyeing would power them well, and I was told pretty uniformly that a mid to higher end Denon would do just fine (currently pondering the X4400 that recently got released, although looking at comparable models from Pioneer and even Sony...although yes, despite surprisingly good press as of late I am aware Sony is at least often thought of as kind of junky).

Also given many swear by the part/feature similarity between Denon and Marantz, does that make Marantz also garbage?
spincut is offline  
post #25237 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thumbs up

Someone else on the Steve Hoffman Forum liked these new 702s2's better than the 804 D3's too!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....694462/page-2
musicman777 is online now  
post #25238 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: US
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMO5007 View Post
Hi guys,
have a quick question and I hope you guys can help me out. I came across a used pair of B&W Nautilus 802's at a pretty decent price $4200.00. I was thinking of buying them knowing they are 17 years old. I know that these are great speakers. Prolly a lot better then the kef r700's I currently own now. But how much better? Would I be blown away? Would be driving them with an Anthem MCA 325 and Integra 70.4

Should I do it? anyone have an info advice on what I should do? Is that a fair price? condition 7/10. Plus i have to drive 3 hours to get them.

Any comments advice is greatly appreciated in advanced!

-Mike
Yes they are 17 years old but that is a decent price. I would not sell mine for that price. I have the 802's HTM1 and 805"s (4) and I LOVE them. Not as good as 802D3's of course but I don't want to spend $40K upgrading all the speakers.

I have gone to Magnolia and listened to the 700 series and they are real nice but for me I love the warm sound of the 802 Nautalis.

Hope mine last another 10 years. Driving mine with a Mackintosh amp and Marantz 8802a.

Home Theater: Optoma UHD65, B&W 802 Nautilus, HTM1, 4-B&W 805's for surround, 4-Martin Logan 22's ceiling speakers ATMOS, 2- 18" Velodyn Subs, Marantz 8802A, MacIntosh 8207 AMP and Proceed AMP 5, Oppo 203, XBox One
BondDonBond is offline  
post #25239 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post
Wait, since when did Denon become "garbage", particularly among AVR brands? I recall posting on here last year sometime (as I continue to hover over grabbing some CM6 S2's) to be certain the AVR's I was eyeing would power them well, and I was told pretty uniformly that a mid to higher end Denon would do just fine (currently pondering the X4400 that recently got released, although looking at comparable models from Pioneer and even Sony...although yes, despite surprisingly good press as of late I am aware Sony is at least often thought of as kind of junky).

Also given many swear by the part/feature similarity between Denon and Marantz, does that make Marantz also garbage?
Since inception.

Marantz is on a different level a better company. Having said that, some of the Marantz and Denon receivers are identical internally. They all suck. Except for a brief moment when Marantz used Analog Devices DSP, i.e. their first few generations of the slim line receivers were great.

When it comes to AVRs, I'm exclusively Yamaha these days. At least they resemble some sort of music.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25240 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
Someone else on the Steve Hoffman Forum liked these new 702s2's better than the 804 D3's too!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread....694462/page-2
Just had another hour long session comparing 704S2, 703S2, and 702S2. I will definitively state that 703S2s are the best current speakers in the world under $15K. Insane. Cannot wait until my pair is here. I wonder who voiced them? That's one great engineer.

Last edited by NagysAudio; 09-13-2017 at 03:50 PM.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25241 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post
Wait, since when did Denon become "garbage", particularly among AVR brands? I recall posting on here last year sometime (as I continue to hover over grabbing some CM6 S2's) to be certain the AVR's I was eyeing would power them well, and I was told pretty uniformly that a mid to higher end Denon would do just fine (currently pondering the X4400 that recently got released, although looking at comparable models from Pioneer and even Sony...although yes, despite surprisingly good press as of late I am aware Sony is at least often thought of as kind of junky).

Also given many swear by the part/feature similarity between Denon and Marantz, does that make Marantz also garbage?
For AVR's look at Rotel! For two channel stereo Integrated amp's look at Rotel RA-1592! Great Match with B&W speakers!

On B&W Facebook page they have some B&W 702s2's matched with a Rotel RA-1592 Integrated amp!

http://www.facebook.com/BowersWilkins

Last edited by musicman777; 09-13-2017 at 06:11 PM.
musicman777 is online now  
post #25242 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,186
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Just had another hour long session comparing 704S2, 703S2, and 702S2. I will definitively state that 703S2s are the best current speakers in the world under $15K. Insane. Cannot wait until my pair is here. I wonder who voiced them? That's one great engineer.
i am looking forward to reviewing/auditioning new speakers..how loud do these new bw's play spl wise? i heard a demo where they were magic at 85db but no idea if they could fill a very large room at reference??

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #25243 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Member
 
Kot B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Just had another hour long session comparing 704S2, 703S2, and 702S2. I will definitively state that 703S2s are the best current speakers in the world under $15K. Insane. Cannot wait until my pair is here. I wonder who voiced them? That's one great engineer.
Nagys, were speakers properly broken in? I remember your frustration with CM8s2 s during their break in period, I recall you even wanted to return them

Hows the new 703s compare to CM8s2? bass notwithstanding of course ... And what were the other components in the system?

Thanks so much!
Maintower likes this.
Kot B is offline  
post #25244 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Member
 
leeshanok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post
After having a truckload of experience with all types of speakers and rigs, both pro and consumer, I wholeheartedly agree.

Harmon has concluded that a broad range of people prefer flat speakers. Okay, so what? A broad range of people also preferred no doc loans, liberally biased newscasts, and Jefferson Starship. They also tend to believe anything written via "white paper" as if it were gospel.

Sophisticated, discerning people prefer a speaker to sound lovely, not cold. B&W speakers sound lovely.
Let's your ears do the listening... such the case with the Harmon Revel F208s... paper or not, brand loyalty, I don't care much when it comes to speakers...bottom line is as long as the sound puts a smile on your face, that's all that matters. After all, it's your hard earned money, not anyone else's, and you are the one living with the sound...No need to convince anyone, but yourself.
leeshanok is offline  
post #25245 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot B View Post
Nagys, were speakers properly broken in? I remember your frustration with CM8s2 s during their break in period, I recall you even wanted to return them

Hows the new 703s compare to CM8s2? bass notwithstanding of course ... And what were the other components in the system?

Thanks so much!
Under 100 hours, so not fully broken in yet IMO. I've heard it at three separate showrooms, Rotel integrated, Rotel separates, Yamaha AVR, new Levinson junk.

This is such a huge step up that everything is better over the CM S2. They are electrifying! A holographic presentation with incredibly fast transient response. I can only imagine what they can do with a Mimesis 3.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25246 of 25293 Old 09-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
i am looking forward to reviewing/auditioning new speakers..how loud do these new bw's play spl wise? i heard a demo where they were magic at 85db but no idea if they could fill a very large room at reference??
Very large room at reference is not an easy task. I don't even want to attempt to guess. Maybe Patrick can chime in.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25247 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Patrick Butler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Hi NagysAudio,

Define "very large room" or "reference." Our main listening room in Boston is 10' x 20' x 30', and I have no problem hitting peaks in the mid-90db range when playing music.

Best Regards,

Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Very large room at reference is not an easy task. I don't even want to attempt to guess. Maybe Patrick can chime in.
Patrick Butler is offline  
post #25248 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi NagysAudio,

Define "very large room" or "reference." Our main listening room in Boston is 10' x 20' x 30', and I have no problem hitting peaks in the mid-90db range when playing music.

Best Regards,

Patrick
In a home theater setup, with the speakers high passed at 80Hz, 85dB SPL at the listening position (pink noise C weighted) with 20dB headroom. As per THX standard. Again, no easy task. And it's not something I need. But Mr. Torii was asking... I say 10x20x30 qualifies as a very large room.
dschulz likes this.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25249 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Under 100 hours, so not fully broken in yet IMO. I've heard it at three separate showrooms, Rotel integrated, Rotel separates, Yamaha AVR, new Levinson junk.

This is such a huge step up that everything is better over the CM S2. They are electrifying! A holographic presentation with incredibly fast transient response. I can only imagine what they can do with a Mimesis 3.

I'm wondering if the raved Wells Audio Majestic Integrated Amp could give the Mimesis 3 a good run for the money?

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/wells...ated-amplifier
musicman777 is online now  
post #25250 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 09:22 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Matching 8.3D's with 7.3's in HT

Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to do a 9.2.4 system in a dedicated home theater. I'm interested in doing 3 CWM 8.3D's (in wall speakers) for my front left, center, right... and then question is what I should do for my surrounds (4 side surrounds plus 2 rear surrounds)? The 8.3D's are really expensive... is doing all 9 speakers as 8.3D's overkill? Would I be ok doing the 8.3D's up front and then matching with 7.3's for all the surrounds?

There might also be an opportunity to do regular 8.3 (non D's) instead of the 7.3... but 7.3 is still considerably cheaper than those.

I want really good SQ, but don't want to spend $$ for limited benefit if I don't need to.

Anyone have experience with or thoughts on that?

thanks-
Pirate_at_40 is offline  
post #25251 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
Dave-T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Arlington, Va.
Posts: 709
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate_at_40 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm getting ready to do a 9.2.4 system in a dedicated home theater. I'm interested in doing 3 CWM 8.3D's (in wall speakers) for my front left, center, right... and then question is what I should do for my surrounds (4 side surrounds plus 2 rear surrounds)? The 8.3D's are really expensive... is doing all 9 speakers as 8.3D's overkill? Would I be ok doing the 8.3D's up front and then matching with 7.3's for all the surrounds?

There might also be an opportunity to do regular 8.3 (non D's) instead of the 7.3... but 7.3 is still considerably cheaper than those.

I want really good SQ, but don't want to spend $$ for limited benefit if I don't need to.

Anyone have experience with or thoughts on that?

thanks-
The CWM8.3D's are nice speakers ,why not do 6 of the CWM8.5D for wides, surrounds and surround backs. I have CWM7.3's up front and use CWM7.4 in the backs with CCM682 for the ceiling for 5.1.4 and the CWM7.4 is more than enough for surround duty. Doing CWM8.3D all around would be overkill. I wanted to do CWm7.3 all around in my setup and I was told the same thing overkill. Spend you $ on your front three speakers and subs.
Dave-T is online now  
post #25252 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 10:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Thumbs up

I think B&W are making some of the best speakers on the world market right now!

The ROLLS ROYCE OF SPEAKERS!
musicman777 is online now  
post #25253 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
I think B&W are making some of the best speakers on the world market right now!

The ROLLS ROYCE OF SPEAKERS!
They sure are.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25254 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 01:56 PM
PCW
Member
 
PCW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi NagysAudio,

Define "very large room" or "reference." Our main listening room in Boston is 10' x 20' x 30', and I have no problem hitting peaks in the mid-90db range when playing music.

Best Regards,

Patrick
Patrick, Is the 700 series listening event going to take place at the Fairlakes Magnolia Design store on Saturday? If so please advise as to the times. I want to listen to all the 700 series as I only got to hear the 702S2, 705S2 and the two center speakers this week. Thanks.
PCW is offline  
post #25255 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Member
 
Kot B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Just had another hour long session comparing 704S2, 703S2, and 702S2. I will definitively state that 703S2s are the best current speakers in the world under $15K. Insane. Cannot wait until my pair is here. I wonder who voiced them? That's one great engineer.
Please do keep us informed when you get your 703s and of your impressions as well.. Which color did you buy? Rosenut? They probably will sound less bright than shiny black , as the reflecting surface is different ... Thanks!!!
Kot B is offline  
post #25256 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot B View Post
Please do keep us informed when you get your 703s and of your impressions as well.. Which color did you buy? Rosenut? They probably will sound less bright than shiny black , as the reflecting surface is different ... Thanks!!!
Black. Always synthetic finish. Wood and electronics is not my thing.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25257 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 2,477
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 311
I may pick up a set of rose nut CM6's for a good deal.

Sony 65" A1E
OPPO 83 &103
Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm 490cc B&W 685 S2's
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB13Ultra
Acurus 200A3 Paradigm studio 60 V5's
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #25258 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Gerardo2068's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
Not rubbish, and not nonsense. Their methodology is documented, published and scientifically rigorous.







Fair, I guess. I can't tell you what you like or don't like. I would question whether you have some sighted bias kicking in.







I'm not saying we want the *playback* to be flat, but unless the monitors are flat and the playback speakers are also flat, we're not accurately hearing what the the artist mixed! Live sound is, of course, EQd, well, live.


Most people don't prefer flat. That's definitely sounds like a made up test


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gerardo2068 is offline  
post #25259 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
Most people don't prefer flat. That's definitely sounds like a made up test


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, that's one approach to critiquing science I suppose. "I don't like the result. It's a made up test."
CruelInventions likes this.
dschulz is online now  
post #25260 of 25293 Old 09-14-2017, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CruelInventions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 5,577
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
Most people don't prefer flat. That's definitely sounds like a made up test


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In room response, true. Most don't (prefer flat). I suspect that's what your'e talking about. And Harman would agree with you there, as would most anyone who knows even a little bit about this subject. But we're specifically talking speaker measurements here. A reasonably flat on-axis, and very smooth off-axis roll-off is the repeating theme of speaker preference for most people when price, brand name/reputation, aesthetics, etc., are all stripped away from their listening comparisons.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
CruelInventions is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off