B&W Owner's Thread - Page 851 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 955Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #25501 of 25518 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Daniel Schar is an absolute genius! Micromega is the only digital that I could ever listen to. Micromega also makes the best phono preamp in the world without competition.

In general, they probably make the best electronics today. M-One sounds great, even if it's no vintage Goldmund Mimesis.

Been a fan of Micromega and B&W for nearly 20 years. They are a match made in heaven.
Now the M-One comes with room correction and they say this takes this amp to a whole new level now!
musicman777 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25502 of 25518 Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Whats the general opinion on the b&w and rotel combo?
NagysAudio and Newbie789 like this.
Harry Critchley is offline  
post #25503 of 25518 Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Critchley View Post
Whats the general opinion on the b&w and rotel combo?
Rotel is overall not as good as Micromega, but it too is an excellent choice and match to B&W. I've owned many Rotel components and they all ranked very good to exceptional.
NagysAudio is offline  
 
post #25504 of 25518 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post
Rotel is overall not as good as Micromega, but it too is an excellent choice and match to B&W. I've owned many Rotel components and they all ranked very good to exceptional.
Never heard about Micromega... and Rotel I never owned. But I'm anyway happy with my Arcam avr550 as pre amp and my NAD m27 power amp. And I'm looking forward to my NAD m17v2 pre amp when it finally arrives (ordered it already this may). So I can recommend Arcam and Nad. Compared to the Denons (x7200wa, avr4810), yamaha and sony i had so far the Arcam and Nad devices are by far supperior. God I hate Denon... terrible built quality... but thats another topic.

Cheers

Arcam PreAmp: AVR550, NAD Amp: m27, 5.1.2 setup B&W LCR: 2x 804 D3 + CM centre 2 S2, Sub: DB1 Nubert Sur: 2x nuVero 50, Atmos/ Ceiling: 2x WS 14, isotek mains conditioner: EVO 3 Aquarius, Samsung 65JU7080, Microsoft Xbox One S + Surface Pro 4
RMR1der is offline  
post #25505 of 25518 Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR1der View Post
Never heard about Micromega... and Rotel I never owned. But I'm anyway happy with my Arcam avr550 as pre amp and my NAD m27 power amp. And I'm looking forward to my NAD m17v2 pre amp when it finally arrives (ordered it already this may). So I can recommend Arcam and Nad. Compared to the Denons (x7200wa, avr4810), yamaha and sony i had so far the Arcam and Nad devices are by far supperior. God I hate Denon... terrible built quality... but thats another topic.

Cheers
One Dealer liked the $4500 Micromega M-One 100 Integrated amp (without room correction) a lot better than the Devialet Integrated amps that many rave about!

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...and-experience
musicman777 is online now  
post #25506 of 25518 Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This month's TAS calls the 800 D3's one of the greatest bargains in High-End Audio, category Ultra High-End!

This makes the 702 s2's and 703 s2's bargains of a lifetime!
RMR1der likes this.
musicman777 is online now  
post #25507 of 25518 Old Today, 01:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman777 View Post
One Dealer liked the $4500 Micromega M-One 100 Integrated amp (without room correction) a lot better than the Devialet Integrated amps that many rave about!

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...and-experience
Well I didn't check the link you posted yet. But ONE DEALER is not what I call representative... Since its only one and a dealer.
Anyway thats a B&W owners threat. So lets Keep the Focus on this excellent Speakers.


Cheers

Arcam PreAmp: AVR550, NAD Amp: m27, 5.1.2 setup B&W LCR: 2x 804 D3 + CM centre 2 S2, Sub: DB1 Nubert Sur: 2x nuVero 50, Atmos/ Ceiling: 2x WS 14, isotek mains conditioner: EVO 3 Aquarius, Samsung 65JU7080, Microsoft Xbox One S + Surface Pro 4
RMR1der is offline  
post #25508 of 25518 Old Today, 04:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everybody,

I've been auditioning speakers for a while and recently was offered 20% off a brand new pair of 705s2 monitors. I'm going to pick them up. I was just wondering about amplification. I mostly use my speakers to watch films and TV in 2.1 with an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. As such I'd like to have bass management and perhaps room correction. I'm not sure what my best option is. There aren't many 2.1 stereo amps with bass management in my price range (around 2k). I'm aware of the Parasound Halo A21 integrated and A23 + P5 or Halo Integrated. I was looking at the NAD C388 until I discovered the poorly implemented bass management. I'm wondering if something like the Anthem MRX 520 would work? I'm unsure if it would be compatible with the 3.7ohm minimum impedance of the 705s2s.

Any help with amplifier suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stepping up from a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors mated to a Sony STR-DN1040 avr so I'm pretty excited and would really like to get the amp selection right.

Regards, Adam.
dogdoghowl is online now  
post #25509 of 25518 Old Today, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 852
You really should be looking at the AVR's such as the Anthem MRX, NAD T7xx or similar for movies, or if budget allows go with a pre-processor and amps. A simpler integrated just won't be outputting a true LFE signal, as it can't decode it.

You're getting a fantastic bargain on those speakers! They're really good, and in high demand so getting a discount like that is no small thing.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #25510 of 25518 Old Today, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
JediFonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
rotel's owned by B&W corp.... so it's been the same company for awhile and explains why there is a 'match' that folks often prefer to have.

in the past... rotel used to mfr for others like adcom then rebranded and resold

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
JediFonger is online now  
post #25511 of 25518 Old Today, 08:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Newbie789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
rotel's owned by B&W corp.... so it's been the same company for awhile and explains why there is a 'match' that folks often prefer to have.



in the past... rotel used to mfr for others like adcom then rebranded and resold


Rotel is only distributed by B&W.

I'm using and anthem avm60, rotel rmb1585, and b&w 804d3 towers.

The whole setups sounds great.

Rotel does have a tendency for a very low volume hum when the speakers don't have any audio coming through. I've tried power conditioners, dedicated outlets, etc. The magnolia showroom had the same hum.

I can crank these speakers to the point it hurts without stressing the speakers or to the rotel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newbie789 is online now  
post #25512 of 25518 Old Today, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
JediFonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i did write b&w corp .

re: hum, is that a good thing or a bad thing in your opinion?

i dont have any separates

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
JediFonger is online now  
post #25513 of 25518 Old Today, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
NagysAudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
Rotel is only distributed by B&W.

I'm using and anthem avm60, rotel rmb1585, and b&w 804d3 towers.

The whole setups sounds great.

Rotel does have a tendency for a very low volume hum when the speakers don't have any audio coming through. I've tried power conditioners, dedicated outlets, etc. The magnolia showroom had the same hum.

I can crank these speakers to the point it hurts without stressing the speakers or to the rotel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Between 2001 and 2006, I've sold and installed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of Rotel and not one single time did I hear a hum. In the past 15 years I've also personally owned 10+ Rotel components and not once did I experience hum.

Something else is wrong in your system. And who cares what goes down at Magnolia. Do you have a Comcast box in that room? Try disconnecting it, by not unplugging AC from the wall, but rather by unscrewing the RG6 coax cable from the back of the unit. Let us know if that works.

There's a ground loop somewhere...
jazzrock likes this.
NagysAudio is offline  
post #25514 of 25518 Old Today, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
adrummingdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 450
As far as I know, Rotel's claim to fame is that they make their own transformers. I don't know exactly what that's worth, but at least nowadays they don't blow up anymore.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who thinks Rotel gear is BAD but there is a reason, discussing corporate families of products, B&W often demo's their speakers on Rotel right before moving over to Classe. There is a difference.

HT: B&W 802 D2 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra - Parasound Halo A21 and A31 - Anthem AVM 60 - Samsung UN65JS8500

Office 2CH: Martin Logan Motion 60Xt - Crown XLI 800 - Bluesound Node 2
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
adrummingdude is online now  
post #25515 of 25518 Old Today, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoghowl View Post
Hello everybody,

I've been auditioning speakers for a while and recently was offered 20% off a brand new pair of 705s2 monitors. I'm going to pick them up. I was just wondering about amplification. I mostly use my speakers to watch films and TV in 2.1 with an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. As such I'd like to have bass management and perhaps room correction. I'm not sure what my best option is. There aren't many 2.1 stereo amps with bass management in my price range (around 2k). I'm aware of the Parasound Halo A21 integrated and A23 + P5 or Halo Integrated. I was looking at the NAD C388 until I discovered the poorly implemented bass management. I'm wondering if something like the Anthem MRX 520 would work? I'm unsure if it would be compatible with the 3.7ohm minimum impedance of the 705s2s.

Any help with amplifier suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stepping up from a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors mated to a Sony STR-DN1040 avr so I'm pretty excited and would really like to get the amp selection right.

Regards, Adam.
I have the NAD C388 and it sounds fatantasic on my cm9 s2
Harry Critchley is offline  
post #25516 of 25518 Old Today, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR1der View Post
Well I didn't check the link you posted yet. But ONE DEALER is not what I call representative... Since its only one and a dealer.
Anyway thats a B&W owners threat. So lets Keep the Focus on this excellent Speakers.


Cheers
I put that link here so you can see how good Micromega gear is compared to all other gear on the market. Many believe Devialet makes one of the best sounding Integrated amps on the market at any price! Here's a reviewer who thinks they are on the same level as the Gryphon Audio Diablo 300, said to be one of the best.. period !

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index...-amplifier-dac

The Micromega M-One's sound jaw dropping good with B&W speakers and more people should hear these two together!

Now back to the amazing B&W speakers!
musicman777 is online now  
post #25517 of 25518 Old Today, 04:13 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello again,

my post kind of got hijacked so i'll repost

Hello everybody,

I've been auditioning speakers for a while and recently was offered 20% off a brand new pair of 705s2 monitors. I'm going to pick them up. I was just wondering about amplification. I mostly use my speakers to watch films and TV in 2.1 with an SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. As such I'd like to have bass management and perhaps room correction. I'm not sure what my best option is. There aren't many 2.1 stereo amps with bass management in my price range (around 2k). I'm aware of the Parasound Halo A23 + P5 or Halo Integrated. I was looking at the NAD C388 until I discovered the poorly implemented bass management. I'm wondering if something like the Anthem MRX 520 would work? I'm unsure if it would be compatible with the 3.7ohm minimum impedance of the 705s2s.

Any help with amplifier suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm stepping up from a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors mated to a Sony STR-DN1040 avr so I'm pretty excited and would really like to get the amp selection right.

Regards, Adam.
dogdoghowl is online now  
post #25518 of 25518 Old Today, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Go ahead and get the Anthem MRX520 and try it because the ARCII room correction and bass management is terrific. If it doesn't get the speakers rockin', use the unit's pre-outs to got to a separate power amp later. I'm betting you won't have to.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758 receiver, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, Sony BDP-S480 BlueRay player, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer.
KenM10759 is online now  
post #25519 of 25518 Old Today, 05:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Go ahead and get the Anthem MRX520 and try it because the ARCII room correction and bass management is terrific. If it doesn't get the speakers rockin', use the unit's pre-outs to got to a separate power amp later. I'm betting you won't have to.
Will the Anthem MRX 520 be ok with driving the 705s2s down to the 3.7ohm minimum impedance?
dogdoghowl is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off