Ridiculously good deal alert......... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 12-14-2006, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do yourself a favor and check out the Acoustic Research AVRP24, bookshelf speakers that are on clearance at J&R. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3986016
I just happened to be in the area and stopped in to look around and got a chance to listen to these and they are very, very nice. I compared them to other speakers in the listening room including the Polk Monitor 30, Polk R15, the new JBL (replaced the E20) a small klipsch and an NHT. While they are smaller than the rest and only have a 4.5 inch woofer they sounded better than anything in the room except maybe the NHT's. When I asked the sales guy how much (the price wasn't marked) I was shocked when he said $49.99 for the pair. They come complete with heavy duty wall mounts that also act as stands. There's even a matching center channel for a ridiculous $39.99. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3986019
I ended up getting a pair of bookshelves and the center and walked out for $97.00. DId I need any more speakers? No, but, I can't pass up a good deal.

Don't let the price fool you. In this case you get way more than you paid for. Enjoy.

PS. The description mentions that they have a blue face mounted led. That is a misprint (There is no blue led) and they are not slot loaded. I believe they are using part of a description from AR's subwoofers which are slot loaded and do have a blue led.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 12-14-2006, 09:41 PM

Liked: 11
I wonder how they compare to the Acoustic Research ARXP62, which are also on sale on the site. If I didn't get in on the Advent deal I would have probably bought either of these.
post #3 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Pat View Post

I wonder how they compare to the Acoustic Research ARXP62, which are also on sale on the site. If I didn't get in on the Advent deal I would have probably bought either of these.

I wonder if they justify the original msrp price. anyone have any experience with these?
post #4 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 03:54 AM

Im very interested. How do these compare to the Velodyne CHT's and the Advent H200's?
post #5 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 05:37 AM

What do you think about the ARVP25? I am new are they better then the 24 I assume. But how are they compaired to the H200's? Thanks for any input.
post #6 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdtroup View Post

What do you think about the ARVP25? I am new are they better then the 24 I assume. But how are they compaired to the H200's? Thanks for any input.

If the 25 is the 6.5 inch version then the 24 is much better. The larger woofer sounded boomy to me and when I picked it up it felt lite and hollow sounding when I knocked on the cabinet. I think they used the same thickness (1/2" I think) on the 4.5" and the 6.5" version. While 1/2 inch cabinet material works for a smaller driver and cabinet, a larger woofer such as 5.25 and above needs a cabinet made with 3/4 inch material.
post #7 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 06:07 AM

They have a review on them on Amazon. I dont have enough post to post a link. But I can get them for $50 a set.
post #8 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Audiovox owns the Advent and Acoustic Research speaker lines. Probably bought out both companies when they were in financial trouble. The prices are fairly similiar between the Advent Heritage and AR VP series from what I've seen over the last year or so.

I doubt if anyone owns both sets to compare them for us. Earlier in the year J&R had the AR speakers with free shipping for a short period, including the towers. But this was around the time AC4less had the Advents with free shipping and everyone scooped those up instead.

All it probably takes is someone to buy a set and do a decent review and they'll be the next hot bargain product. Unfortunately I'm overloaded with extra speakers and need to figure out what I'm doing with the ones I have.

I'm sure somebody on this forum will eventually take the plunge.

http://www.audiovox.com/webapp/wcs/s...ductId=&brand=

Afro GT
post #9 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 06:30 AM

Would I be better in getting Bookself or Satellite Speakers? I do plan on putting them on the wall. I have a very open floor plan for the room I plan on putting them into. I think I want to go 7.1. But might just go with 5.1. Any thoughts?
post #10 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:

They have a review on them on Amazon. I dont have enough post to post a link. But I can get them for $50 a set.

You dont have to post a link , just give us a word to search buy and we can find it.

which model are you referring to . the 24 are on Jr.com. Can you get 25 , which are the 5.25 inch woofer by the way ?
post #11 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 AM

Sorry, they are the Acoustic Research ARVP25 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers, Black Ash (Pair).
post #12 of 68 Old 12-15-2006, 08:21 AM

here is the link;

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Resea...563166-5530046

I am thinking about getting 3 pair for a 7.1 system. Would that work? or should I be going a different route?
post #13 of 68 Old 12-19-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweekie View Post

I wonder if they justify the original msrp price. anyone have any experience with these?

RE the ARXP62's, I started a hot deal thread over at FatWallet:
http://www.**************/forums/mess...hreadid=685860

It includes my initial impressions so I will not bother to repeat them here.

Deep Space - the free, all natural wire insulator, cabinet damper and transducer equalizer.
* Patented by Quietspeaker Industries, a division of Almighty Group.
post #14 of 68 Old 12-19-2006, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Would I be better in getting Bookself or Satellite Speakers? I do plan on putting them on the wall. I have a very open floor plan for the room I plan on putting them into. I think I want to go 7.1. But might just go with 5.1. Any thoughts?

The larger speakers will sound much better, and even better than that with music .

The dirty little secret is that size is very important, including the volume of the cabinet.
post #15 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

The dirty little secret is that size is very important, including the volume of the cabinet.

There is no REplacement for DISplacement.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #16 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 07:42 AM

So, for $300 delivered you can get a 7.0 setup with:

Center: ARVP42C
L/F: ARXP62
4 surrounds: AVRP24

Does anyone have any experience with these? That sounds like a heck of a deal given their original list price, but that can be so deceiving. There's usually a reason things are clearanced, and it isn't always good.
post #17 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Stupid question of the day.

What is the difference betweeen a bookshelf speaker and a bookshelf loudspeaker? I am talking about the $100 speakers on the J&R site.
post #18 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 10:27 AM

I'm thinking about this setup myself. They seem like a great deal, I just dont know how these speakers will do with my Denon 3806 and SVS pb-12...

Any thoughts?
post #19 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Are the prices for these speakers for a PAIR or per Speaker? I only ask because some of the towers say (Sold Individually) and show a picture of only one speaker, and the bookshelf speakers show a picture of two speakers, but when you add to Cart, it lists as 1 Item. Is 1 Item a Pair, or one speaker?

I've been on hold with J&R for a while now.

Tony
post #20 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlefoot View Post

Stupid question of the day.

What is the difference betweeen a bookshelf speaker and a bookshelf loudspeaker? I am talking about the $100 speakers on the J&R site.

Speaker/Loudspeaker is the same in my book, at least until I come across a Quitespeaker.

Deep Space - the free, all natural wire insulator, cabinet damper and transducer equalizer.
post #21 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

Are the prices for these speakers for a PAIR or per Speaker? I only ask because some of the towers say (Sold Individually) and show a picture of only one speaker, and the bookshelf speakers show a picture of two speakers, but when you add to Cart, it lists as 1 Item. Is 1 Item a Pair, or one speaker?

I've been on hold with J&R for a while now.

The XP62's are definitely sold in pairs. That's probably true of the VP bookshelf varieties as well. Generally, the product descriptions warn you of a need to buy two for a pair since this question is so common.

post #22 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avr5700 View Post

RE the ARXP62's, I started a hot deal thread over at FatWallet:
http://www.**************/forums/mess...hreadid=685860

It includes my initial impressions so I will not bother to repeat them here.

So you believe they are honestly that good? I have some AR's from the 80's. But I've avoided newer ones because I hear the quality isn't as good.

I need another pair of speaker like I need a hole in the head. But I always like a worthwhile deal. I don't want Insignia good. (Fun while it lasted.) But I'll drop $100 if they are truly that good.
post #23 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

So you believe they are honestly that good? I have some AR's from the 80's. But I've avoided newer ones because I hear the quality isn't as good.

I need another pair of speaker like I need a hole in the head. But I always like a worthwhile deal. I don't want Insignia good. (Fun while it lasted.) But I'll drop $100 if they are truly that good.

I'm running them in so they have at least 20+ hours at volume before I commit. I remain impressed and am intending to A/B the DM601s on several tracks as well. I figure that will be Saturday.

I think many here can relate to the allure of a great deal even when it's not exactly needed. I was in surplus before I bought these on specs and price alone.

I've not heard the Insignia's, but can hardly believe they would compete with these. No need to rush a decision, maybe a few more owners will notice the threads and post useful observations. I guess the primary risk in waiting is stock and shipping costs.

So the Insignia set to which you refer would be the NS-B2111 as popularly sold through BestBuy? I think I might spin down there to at least be able to say I've heard them...maybe bring them back for a few days even. Not fair, reversing the tables like that.

post #24 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, the Insignia NS-B2111. I paid $35 for them. They were a "good for the price" speaker. Now I would like a good speaker at a good price.
post #25 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I had the AR bookshelves (6.5" version) and the matching center (two 4" woofer). They were the VP series, not the XP series. I ended up returning them back. I prefer the Insignias better. The center channels was the deal breaker for me. It had a very narrow sweet spot. They are great steals though. However, I do think Insignias represent better sound/dollar.

Currently I am using Onix X-LS and much happier.
post #26 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post

I had the AR bookshelves (6.5" version) and the matching center (two 4" woofer). They were the VP series, not the XP series. I ended up returning them back. I prefer the Insignias better. The center channels was the deal breaker for me. It had a very narrow sweet spot. They are great steals though. However, I do think Insignias represent better sound/dollar.

Currently I am using Onix X-LS and much happier.

Really? What about the Insignia's did you like better?
post #27 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 03:51 PM

are these speakers actually any good? better or worse than some $200 infinity speakers?
post #28 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I too had the ARVP26 & ARVP42C. I sold the ARs in favor of an Athena AS B2/C.5/S.5 setup. Athenas sounded better all around and the highs were much clearer. While listening to Norah Jones, I remember one portion of the song 'Don't know why' where the ARs would begin to start distorting/crackling around 1:10-1:15 when she starts singing high....though it could have been my source/equipment/combination of many factors. Even so, it did not happen with my Athenas.

IMO, the VP 26s sounded better than your basic introductory Polks R15s and JBL Northridge E20 series, but were really outclassed by my Athena AS-B2. I can't comment on the XP62, they look to use a different material 6.5 driver, and maybe a higher quality tweeter.
post #29 of 68 Old 12-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipnYouOff View Post

are these speakers actually any good? better or worse than some $200 infinity speakers?

An answer to such a general question is risky at best. Maybe one of the members knows Infinity well enough to compare...but not me.

-----

I visited the local BestBuy to hear the NS-B2111's. I expect the display set was not spanking new so I figured rather than buy/demo/return, I would 'wing it' and just listen in-store. I didn't realize how large they were until reading up just before I made the trip. I must agree that such a sizeable, well finished and shaped cabinet w/nice binding posts and an already proven sound for so little is indeed a bargain.

The setup allowed me to A/B them with a set of Yamaha's with 6.5" mid-bass drivers (sorry, I didn't note the model). The NS-B2111's were indeed the better looking/sounding of the two sets on display.

Now the real question is how did I subjectively think they sounded compared to the XP62's. Simply put, I'm not racing to buy them. Maybe it was the A/B or placement, but while the Yamaha set sounded bright, the NS-B2111's sounded laid back, possibly due to emphasized bass. I say that a bit reluctantly since I had also read that some folks thought that was an issue with these. At the same time I had the impression that there was less bass impact/transmission coming from them (vs the XP62s). That quality is the opposite of what I expected. The XP62's thus far have exhibited a much better balance of bass/mid/treble, though I'm sure some would say they deliver too much bass. That doesn't bother me at all so long as it doesn't squelch the clarity of the remaining signal.

-----

Thanks for noting the bit about the VPs and Norah Jones' possible treble distortion. I had already planned to use that CD as part of my A/B with the DM601s so I will be alert for this.

Update - I listened to the questioned section of the noted track several times over and did not hear any distortion with the XP62s.

-----

So far, those mentioning replaced VPs upgraded with 2x and up more expensive offerings. I take that to be a good sign.

FYI - those X-LS bookshelves have been awarded product of the year in their class by Audioholics:
http://www.audioholics.com/productre...uct-awards.php
Nice!, and a safer bet for someone willing to double the XP62's price.

post #30 of 68 Old 12-21-2006, 12:23 PM

J&R is out of stock on the ARVP24C Center channel but you can still get them at MCM.

Since I am new I can't post the link but you can find them at

MCM Inone

MCM# 58-10800 ARVP42C - $49.95
MCM# 58-10995 ARVP25 (Pair) - $49.95

So ARVP42C Center Channel = $49.95
3 X 2 ARVP25 = $149.85
$10.99 for shipping

7.1 System for $210.00 sounds like a great deal !
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page