Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Take a look at this site: http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/

They seem to be selling a lot of speakers branded "Acoustic Audio" if you browse through the site. All the prices were shockingly low, so I did some research and found that "Acoustic Audio" doesn't manufacture speakers for home use (they are a car audio company http://www.acousticaudio.co.za/ ).

Look at this speaker: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/the...oor%20(Black)?

$2,598 retail...yeah right....
There are NO OTHER REFERENCES to this speaker besides on this site and it's ebay store.

I am absolutely certian that this company does one of the following: rebrands speakers (why?), makes their own and sells them with this brand name, or is just a scam artist trying to get people's money. Here is the very strange part: its ebay store gets very good reviews by reputable buyers! They have a 96.6% ((edit: 99.6%) positive rating by a variety of buyers, all with good ratings themselves.

http://feedback.*********/ws/eBayISA...item=-1&de=off
Links to ebay don't seem to work, but you can find this seller yourself.

What's going on?! Has anyone here ever heard of Acoustic Audio speakers?

Health insurance inevitably leads to poor quality, inefficiency, inflated costs for health care, and rationing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

96.6% seems like a pretty lousy rating to me.

music is the best.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
A subwoofer with " a Poly Zirconium 4†midrange, and an 18†X 8†optimized compression horn driver." Junk and scam.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #4 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I typed two "6"s instead of two "9"s. This seller has a 99.6% rating. Almost everyone said that the speakers they bought from them were great, which makes me wonder. Even with only a 96.6% rating, how could a scammer get so many good ratings?

Health insurance inevitably leads to poor quality, inefficiency, inflated costs for health care, and rationing.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniguana00
Sorry, I typed two "6"s instead of two "9"s. This seller has a 99.6% rating. Almost everyone said that the speakers they bought from them were great, which makes me wonder. Even with only a 96.6% rating, how could a scammer get so many good ratings?
How do you qualify the raters? What do you know of them?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #6 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You can qualify raters by looking at the ratings they themselves receive. Sellers can also rate buyers. These were mostly buyers who had bought lots of other products from lots of other sellers before, all with good ratings themselves. I would be suspicious if all the buyers only had 1 or 2 buys under their belts, but many have 50 or more. If this is a scam, it would be one of the largest scams in history. This is what confuses me so much!

post #7 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Aren't most of those ratings for the efficiency and honesty of the deal? Do they really reflect any useful information about the quality of the speaker? The one linked to looks like low level stuff and the misinformation is disturbing.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #8 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These speakers (if they even exist) are targeted towards people who have no idea what they are buying. They look like party speakers, and no one in their right mind would buy them looking for a "studio quality monitor." With that said, wouldn't you think more than 0.4% of people buying would leave negative feedback if they got what seems to be car speakers in a carpet covered box? 0.3% of the worlds population is enslaved...I can't believe that only a slightly higher percentage of these buyers would give negative feedback. Look at the sheer numbers of people buying from this seller (> 100 a day).

While the ratings may be officially only for the efficiency and honesty of the deal, if some average people bought these speakers (which we are assuming are about as low quality as one can get) why would they leave a positive rating? When a product is terrible, people tend to leave the seller a bad review, regardless of how speedy the delivery was. Unless many of these buyers happen to be deaf, I don't see how this buyer would get such good ratings, even with the demographic that would buy these.

This can really only be explained by the speakers actually being relatively good quality for the price, or this being a scam on a colossal scale. Even Bose can't get reviews this good with speakers so low quality, even with its extensive advertising campaign.

post #9 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Those are "White Van" speakers i have seen them before when i was going to BB and some kid tried to sell me a pair of those turkeys...
post #10 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is connected to the White Van scam?! So... this means that this is actually part of one of the biggest (if not the biggest) scams in existance.

For those of you who don't know, this is the white van scam: http://www.scamshield.com/feature.asp?id=1

I think I have figured out this scam:

People gain access to people's eBay accounts using a scam similar to this: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1402431,00.asp
Once they have access to these people's accounts, they can hold fake auctions. The "buyer" never actually pays and the seller never actually sends the speaker. The owner of the account never knows what happened since they have no charges on their credit cards or any other clues their account is hijacked. The "buyer" leaves positive feedback to the seller, and according to all records, the sale is legitimate. Then when real buyers who haven't had their accounts hijacked go looking for speakers, they see what looks to them to be a good brand and an excellent seller. So they buy... and end up with a crappy pair of speakers. Some leave positive ratings (due to either ignorance or to go with the crowd), many leave negative ratings, but since most of the sales are fake, the rating stays extremely high. If too many real people start leaving negative ratings, the seller blackmails them by saying they will give the buyer a bad rating.

To the people at ebay, they see a bunch of completely legitimate sales and ratings. Since there are no charges on the credit card of the owners of the accounts, there is no reason to suspect anything is wrong.

Edit: I reported this to ebay and they are investigating it.

post #11 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Theater research, Divinci, and others, all junk. Period.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 07:43 PM

Oh man, I bet these would be awesome with my Optic Video projector.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is connected to the White Van scam?! So... this means that this is actually part of one of the biggest (if not the biggest) scams in existance.
Ahhhhh the Nigerians have scammed US citizens out of Billions of dollars. I think the White Van Speaker co has a lot of catching up to do to. Actually, a lot of catching up to a lot of famous scams. Besides, as discussed, White Van is not so much a scam as consumers thinking they are getting a deal because of some unfortunate circumstance put upon someone else. They are just buying junk when they think they are getting a quality product. Hey! Sounds like another company I know ;)
post #14 of 17 Old 12-16-2006, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even Bose can't get reviews this good with speakers so low quality, even with its extensive advertising campaign.
Too late, I already made a Bose joke. :)

post #15 of 17 Old 12-16-2006, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just found out that someone I know almost fell victim to a White Van scam. It wasn't for speakers, but it's the same general story.

He was walking on the sidewalk when this white van pulled up beside him. The driver got out claiming he had meat which he was supposed to deliver to a mansion across town, but found out that other people had already came and delivered it. He was now stuck with pounds and pounds of meat (imported from Italy) which was just going to go bad. The driver told this person that while this meat usually cost over $100 a pound, he was willing to sell for only $20 a pound out of fear that it will go bad soon. This person (who is not the type to buy meat above $5 a pound) thought about it briefly and then refused the offer.

Anyway, I'd say this White Van scam IS one of the biggest scams because of the sheer numbers of people involved in it, scammed by it, and the wide geographic area over which it takes place. While in this scam people end up losing only a couple hundred dollars at most, (the Nigerian scam involves thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars lost per person) I think this could still be considered one of the largest scams, at least geographically.

post #16 of 17 Old 12-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Some guy tried to sell me some white van speakers at Lowe's last evening. Needless to say I blew him off.
post #17 of 17 Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM

I bought a set of Theater Research surround speakers. I had heard that their one of the scam companies that says thier speakers are worth $2k but are everywhere for 1/5 the price. The 5.1 set I got was one of the larger ones. I waited on ebay for a week or so and stagged a set for $125 with $50 in shipping (was over 80lbs). I have to say they are some of the clearest speakers I have ever heard. The sub that I got was a 10" powered with power for the rears. I am still using them now 3 years later. They are great sounding but...... I do not believe they are shielded or at least the sub is not shielded. I had to move it all the way across the room. When heavy bass would hit I would get some black waves in my tv. I am not sure if it was a power thing cause the sub and all my componets were on the same circuit (old house). I have a nice yamaha 6.1 surround with 800 watts. I have cranked them and they never top out. My next door neighbors could hear my surround from 30 feet away. My sub's power supply started having a problem and had to go to another one. All in all I would say they have been a fantastic speaker espically for the money. I couldn't get a set of crappy jvc's for the money I paid. They are increadably clear sounding with a great range of sound. I woudn't pay more than $250 for a set of bigger surround sets. They have blown away everyone I has heard them. Ohhh yeah I have heard that thier "warranty" is non existant. You can't get ahold of anyone through thier website. I would buy another set but only for the right price.
Closed Thread Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page