Orb Speakers Official Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1404 Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks everyone for the great thread - after I get back from my vacation (~ two weeks) I'm think I'm set to order the People's Choice, and a Onkyo TX SR605 to power it. Can't wait...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1404 Old 09-10-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traylorc View Post

The Mod 4 system consists of 3 Mod 4 speakers for the front, 2 Mod 2 speakers for the rears, and the Super 8 Woofer.

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?Pa...TS&Category=18

Interesting about the Mod4. The one area I find a little lacking is the center channel. I wonder how converting just the CC to a Mod3 or Mod4 would work.
donnoj likes this.
post #273 of 1404 Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 PM

Hi.

Something I hadn't noticed before with the Super Eight Subwoofer. Today when I put my finger to flick the POWER to the ON position. I felt that the back of the sub is warm. It isn't hot... It's something I hadn't known before. hmmmm is this even normal?
post #274 of 1404 Old 09-19-2007, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Originally Posted by grizmul
How is the 3.3 working with the orbs and at what crossover? I also own this sub and am looking for possible speakers ie. orb but I am not sure how that nice low sub would work the the orbs. Anyone else have any ideas if the vtf3 MK3 would work with the orbs and what would be a good crossover? The sub is not centered up front but in the back of the listening area sandwiched between the couch and wall of a 11x12 room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKYRO1 View Post

it works great. i use the super eight as a mid bass. bought a low pass cutoff for it. only goes down to about 60 Hz, and up to Hz. 3.3 goes from 70 Hz down to teens. sounds great. only problem is the walls constantly crumbling.

Thanks for the feedback CKYRO1. I'm thinking about getting the MOD4 7.1 setup and wanted to use a SVS 20-29pci but was worried about the loss of mid bass. Sounds like I need to order the super8 to use as mid bass in addition to the SVS.

My listening area is not too large so I wonder if this is over-kill, but from reading various threads it seems the consensus is that the Orbs sound best when mated to the Super8 (maybe lacking in real extension below ~60Hz, hence desire for SVS), and to use them with the SVS alone would give me a hole in the freq. response.

I like your idea of the low pass cutoff. Where did you get something like that and was it difficult to install? Lastly, how do you have the two subs connected to your Amp?

Quote:

Just pulled the trigger on the Mod 4 system. After hearing all the positive comments about these speakers I am looking forward to auditioning them.

Traylorc, looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Mod4.

Regards

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #275 of 1404 Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have had the Mod 4 system up and running for a few days. While I do not claim to be an audiophile, I have to say I am very impressed with these speakers. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the system handled dialogue, I could hear every word clearly and distinctly. Additionally I was pleased how these speakers handled big action movies such as the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan, the space battles in the Star Wars prequels, or the alien invasions of War of the Worlds. Lastly, these speakers look really nice. I received several compliments from friends who came over to check out my new system.

While I will always have a soft spot for my Klipsch RF 3s, I am enjoying the Orbs.

Time to go order a couple additional speakers to complete a 7.1 set up.
post #276 of 1404 Old 09-22-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear you are impressed. I really need the small footprint the Orbs have, but I was hoping they wouldn't sound like little "tin cans".

There were a couple posts where some were not happy with the CC, but I figured the Mod4 setup might alleviate those issues. Nice to hear positive comments on the dialog.

Appreciate the feedback. Go complete that 7.1 set up .

post #277 of 1404 Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 PM
cmf

Been browsing the AVS speakers forum for a while trying to figure out what I should audition to replace our mismatched and aging Yamaha/JBL 5.1 speaker setup in the basement (primarily HT, but some music).

I'm close to contacting Orb to see what they recommend, but I thought I'd ask you owners here what you think first.

First, I'd prefer not to replace the sub -- the Yamaha seems to have plenty of range and fills up the small space (12' x 12' w/ semi-open rear wall and low ceiling) quite well -- so I'm considering two satellite-only setups (Mod1 HT Quick Pack and People's Choice HT Quick Pack). My uncertainty revolves around one seemingly simple question: is there any richness/range/resolution advantage to Mod2's in a small space, or does going with 2 of the same speaker simply get you more volume (loudness)?

Also, due to the space layout, all three front channels need to be positioned near the 7' ceiling (above the TV) and relatively close together (each main is about 28" off the centerline) and we sit about 8' straight line from them. Is that room geometry going to pose significant issues with these?

Alternately, and I know this is a loaded question given the thread I'm posting this in, if anyone can recommend any other small (less than 7" deep, 7" wide, and 12" high) speakers that sound great and won't break the bank, that'd be appreciated as well (post or PM...your choice).

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I just noticed this is the first post to this thread in almost two weeks. Is that a bad sign (no interest) or a good sign (everyone's too busy listening to their systems to post)? :-)
post #278 of 1404 Old 10-05-2007, 08:26 AM

I think the Mod1 system w/ a Mod2 center channel would work great for you. If your Yamaha sub is cheap and/or boomy, definitely consider replacing it, though.
post #279 of 1404 Old 10-06-2007, 12:42 AM
cmf

Thanks for the reply.

Not a whole lot of enthusiasm here anymore, eh? :-/
post #280 of 1404 Old 10-06-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKYRO1 View Post

any body using anything else for floorstands for mod2's other than what orb sells. the stands are nice, but 300 bucks is more than the price of the speakers.

I have the Orbs Mod2 with Four HOSS stands. yes they are Pricey, but they compliment the speakers so perfectly.

I have never looked backed after having to get rid of my Beloved Paradigms because of space constraints. Almost a year into my orb ownership and they sound better than ever.

The stands just make it all look right!

VIZIO M801d-A3 
Panny TH58PZ800U (still kicking)
Denon AVR-4810CI
Oppo BDP-105
Orb Audio Speakers
PS4 & HTPC all connected through 300mb Fios
post #281 of 1404 Old 10-06-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf View Post

Thanks for the reply.

Not a whole lot of enthusiasm here anymore, eh? :-/

I couldn't be more enthusiastic or happier with my Mod2 setup. Having moved to NYC meant giving up the nice 14 foot ceilings and open space of our place in Bonita Springs FL.

But once having understood that my paradigms just weren't going to cut it inour apt in the city, I started to looking for something that would.

The WAF of course played a huge role, she wanted the cute little Bose speakers she saw at the mall, uh yeah like that was going to happen. After about 3 months of non stop research, hearing everything I could find in stores, reading all types of reviews these littles Orbs came into our lives.

30 day trial yep, hard to imagine that I would ever buy something unseen, but the reviews were there, the forums all spoke of their price to performance. I pulled the trigger. Mod2 setup with 4 HOSS stands, Denon 2807 amp, PS3 and a Panasonic Th-58PX600U.

The Sub is amazing for my setup, after playing with it for about two days, I finally got it dialed in right for my application. You can't tell where the bass is coming from, even though it is in plain sight. The imaging and soundstage that these little polished aluminum orbs produce has to heard to be believed. I was floored after they broke in (about 3 weeks) when my music started sounding spectacular. Dark Side of the Moon felt there, present. the nuances and mellifluous undertones made their way to me in a manner that my Paradigms never did. Of course, now I have a tiny living room and am a captive audience, but I truly believe that these speakers hold their own against much higher priced competition.

Last week we had a friend over for drinks and then all sat down to watch a movie. She stated, wow your TV sounds great. What kind of TV is that, the sound is incredible, even sounds like you have surround! (we were watching the Matrix Revolutions). I laughed and pointed to the speakers which in the dim lighting did not stand out other than in the way they sounded. Her response was.... All of that is coming out of those little speakers? well of course that screwed it up for the rest of the night. We eventually started to show off the capabilities and after about half an hour my laptop was out and she was ordering her own Mod2's !

Enthusiasm? Try to take these away from me. For me at this time these speakers are perfect!

VIZIO M801d-A3 
Panny TH58PZ800U (still kicking)
Denon AVR-4810CI
Oppo BDP-105
Orb Audio Speakers
PS4 & HTPC all connected through 300mb Fios
post #282 of 1404 Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I have had the Mod 4 system up and running for a few days. While I do not claim to be an audiophile, I have to say I am very impressed with these speakers. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the system handled dialogue, I could hear every word clearly and distinctly. Additionally I was pleased how these speakers handled big action movies such as the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan, the space battles in the Star Wars prequels, or the alien invasions of War of the Worlds. Lastly, these speakers look really nice. I received several compliments from friends who came over to check out my new system.

While I will always have a soft spot for my Klipsch RF 3s, I am enjoying the Orbs.

Time to go order a couple additional speakers to complete a 7.1 set up.

Can you post some photos of your Orb Mod 4 setup? I am on the fence with these speakers. I have a family room that is wide open to the kitchen, breakfast nook, living room, and dining room. How does the Mod 4 system sound? I will be using the Denon 2808ci receiver and the Velodyne SPL-1200R subwoofer.
post #283 of 1404 Old 10-07-2007, 09:16 PM
cmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huhexxer View Post

Enthusiasm? Try to take these away from me. For me at this time these speakers are perfect!

Thanks...that's reassuring. I mean, if people in an owner's thread can't get pumped up and do a little promoting, that's a very bad sign. I'm still doing research (yet another spreadsheet, as my wife would say); my there are a ton of options out there to choose from!
post #284 of 1404 Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 AM

I've just installed a 3.1 setup using the LRC Mod 2 speakers and the Super 8 sub. I have a pair of Mod 1's for the surrounds but have not installed them yet.

The installation is in a Family Room/Kitchen that is about 20x20 with hard wood floors. The basic acoustics of room are not favorable due to the floors but there is not much I can do about that.

I love the high end.
The Sub is fine for the very low end.
The mids are Missing in Action - just nothing there.

I'm driving the sub and the three MOD 2s with a Kenwood VRS-N8100 (which may be the problem).

The speakers are all sitting on the floor while I wait for the wifey to make a final decision on the cabinet stain so we can finish the install. When we get the cabinet, LCR speakers will be about 22 inches off the ground with L to R separation of about 5 feet.

I have played around with all the Super 8 sub settings and am still not a happy camper. Volume on the sub cannot be turned up past about 10% without turning the system into a boombox. There doesn't seem to be any setting that will help fill in the mid-range in the system.

So I have a couple of questions:

1. Will moving the speakers off the floor help the mids?
2. Any other suggestions for improving the mid-range performance.
3. Would wall or ceiling speakers be a better choice?

Any help would be appreciated.
post #285 of 1404 Old 10-21-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptPoint View Post

1. Will moving the speakers off the floor help the mids?

It will most definitely improve the mids and highs. Satellite speakers need to be at least a couple feet off the ground (preferably at ear level where you'll sit -- so that's probably 33-45 inches). Whether it will improve to your satisfaction is another question.

Quote:

3. Would wall or ceiling speakers be a better choice?

Larger on-wall speakers that can go down to 80 Hz or below would probably be better. Forget the ceiling speakers unless it's for the surrounds.
post #286 of 1404 Old 10-21-2007, 02:50 PM

Some are satisfied (as am I) with the sound from the satellite speakers some are not - you will have to decide that for yourself. I don't understand your sub problem though. That is something I haven't heard in my 2 1/2 years of following the Orb threads. In fact, if anybody has an issue with the sub it is usually that there isn't enough thump to it. I do not like much bass and have mine turned up to about 1/3, but it is far from boomy - actually nice and tight. Have you called Orb customer service to ask them about this problem? It could be your receiver, as you stated.
post #287 of 1404 Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterceptPoint View Post

I have played around with all the Super 8 sub settings and am still not a happy camper. Volume on the sub cannot be turned up past about 10% without turning the system into a boombox.

Try placing it in a different location. You probably have it very close to a corner, which can make a subwoofer sound too boomy.
post #288 of 1404 Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

... I don't understand your sub problem though. That is something I haven't heard in my 2 1/2 years of following the Orb threads. In fact, if anybody has an issue with the sub it is usually that there isn't enough thump to it. I do not like much bass and have mine turned up to about 1/3, but it is far from boomy - actually nice and tight. Have you called Orb customer service to ask them about this problem? It could be your receiver, as you stated.

Thanks for the inputs guys but the problem was not with the Orbs or the sub. It was all about the operator. I have three lessons learned.

1. Always have lots of light when you are hooking up speakers to the receiver.
2. Always clean your glasses before you start to work.
3. And most important: DON'T HOOK UP THE SUB TO A SURROUND OUTPUT.

So when I finally got the sub hooked up to the sub output, added the surrounds, tweaked the levels a bit on the receiver I find I have quite a nice system. Not as nice as my B&W 703s upstairs but just right for the wifey.
post #289 of 1404 Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Glad to hear you "cleared" that up. Enjoy both your systems!
post #290 of 1404 Old 10-27-2007, 07:46 AM

Out of the box ,brand new today. I can't get the sub to work. I have power to it lights are on, read the manuals several times on the Orb and my Yamaha 661 (new too). Other channels are working (6.1). Am using the sub out on the Yamaha. Any suggestions appreciated. I don't have another sub I could plug in to see if it's the Yammie . Amber
post #291 of 1404 Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neppert View Post

Out of the box ,brand new today. I can't get the sub to work. I have power to it lights are on, read the manuals several times on the Orb and my Yamaha 661 (new too). Other channels are working (6.1). Am using the sub out on the Yamaha. Any suggestions appreciated. I don't have another sub I could plug in to see if it's the Yammie . Amber

Try putting the Super 8 switch to ON not Auto if you haven't done that already and turn your crossover all the way to the right.

Russ
post #292 of 1404 Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 AM

Thanks Russ, I had tried that, no luck.
post #293 of 1404 Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Make sure you have configured the Yamaha (and your DVD or CD player, if they do bass management) to let it know you have a subwoofer.
post #294 of 1404 Old 10-27-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Have you set the speakers to small and LFE to sub only? Don't be offended by this, but is the volume turned up? It's easy to confuse the crossover control with the volume control. I must confess I've done it before. Also, my Yamaha receiver allows me to control the sub volume from the receiver, so you might want to check that setting.
post #295 of 1404 Old 10-27-2007, 09:14 PM

Thanks everyone, I returned the receiver and it was a bad sub preout port.
post #296 of 1404 Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks everyone, I returned the receiver and it was a bad sub preout port.

Sorry you had to return the receiver, but that's good news that you got your problem solved. What do you think about your setup now?
post #297 of 1404 Old 10-30-2007, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilent1 View Post

Originally Posted by grizmul
How is the 3.3 working with the orbs and at what crossover? I also own this sub and am looking for possible speakers ie. orb but I am not sure how that nice low sub would work the the orbs. Anyone else have any ideas if the vtf3 MK3 would work with the orbs and what would be a good crossover? The sub is not centered up front but in the back of the listening area sandwiched between the couch and wall of a 11x12 room.

Thanks for the feedback CKYRO1. I'm thinking about getting the MOD4 7.1 setup and wanted to use a SVS 20-29pci but was worried about the loss of mid bass. Sounds like I need to order the super8 to use as mid bass in addition to the SVS.

My listening area is not too large so I wonder if this is over-kill, but from reading various threads it seems the consensus is that the Orbs sound best when mated to the Super8 (maybe lacking in real extension below ~60Hz, hence desire for SVS), and to use them with the SVS alone would give me a hole in the freq. response.

I like your idea of the low pass cutoff. Where did you get something like that and was it difficult to install? Lastly, how do you have the two subs connected to your Amp?

Traylorc, looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Mod4.

Regards

Filter:
http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=27

Have the preout sub cable split. one end goes to the 3.3, and the other goes to the filter(which in-turn feeds the super 8).
post #298 of 1404 Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link CKYRO1, I got the adjustable high pass crossover along with a pair of the 70hz high pass FMODS.

Are you using the 50hz or 70hz (or something else) setting on the crossover? If 70hz I may just use the FMOD's I bought (any thoughts).

I'm still wiring everything up right now so I can't comment on sound quality just yet, but the Orb's sure do look nice on the Hoss stands and center channel bracket .

post #299 of 1404 Old 11-04-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huhexxer View Post

I'm well on my way to giving a similar response on these - just unpacked and set up my "People's Choice" system (three Mod2s for the front, two Mod1s for the rear, and the Super8).

This is the first surround system I've set up, but the Orb manuals and components at least made the speaker side of things very simple. I still have a whole lot to figure out in terms of how to get the best sound of my various sources, but here's what I can share so far:
  • Everything was packed superbly for safe shipping. Especially nice given that shipping was only $9.
  • Setting up the Mod2s horizontally (which I needed to do for space considerations) was simple.
  • The BOSS stand I'm using for my center Mod2 looks and works fantastic, but I have no regret using the 'standard' stands for the other Mod2s that are tucked onto shelves.
  • The HOSS stands I'm using at the rear are expensive, yes, but I found nothing else with a footprint that small, that solid. And like others here, I love the way the setup looks.
  • As others have also noted, customer support from Orb is fantastic. I've never had anyone spend this much time providing free pre-sale advice before, and it helped me make the leap.
  • As for sound (which should probably matter than all the above )... Keep in mind that I'm likely easily impressed as this is my first foray into the surround-sound space, but so far, so (very very) good. Right now I am occasionally feeling like I'm losing dialog if there's a lot of sweeping orchestral sound coinciding with it, but I suspect that has more to do with me still needing to move past the amp's auto setup (which I everyone's already told me will likely not give the best results) and tweak some things manually instead.
post #300 of 1404 Old 11-06-2007, 08:01 AM

I am looking at making some changes to my home theater setup. Originally I was thinking of the Mirage Omnisat or Nanosat system, but the Orb products seem to get rave reviews, and they are a little cheaper than the Omnisat setup as well.

My current speaker setup is:

- Bose 301 Series II Mains
- Energy AC-300 Center
- Energy Take 2 Rears
- Energy XL-S10 Sub

They are being driven by a Yamaha RX-V1500. I may upgrade to the RX-V1800 in the near future.

I've got a picture of the room posted here.

I've sent these questions to Orb as well, but was hoping to get opinions from customers.

In addition to these questions, if anyone has any general feedback on the Orbs over the Mirage Omnisats I would appreciate that as well.

1. Would I be able to use my existing sub and get good results?

2. What package would you recommend to replace my existing system? The People's Choice HT Quick Pack looks like a good option, but wasn't sure if maybe the Mod2 HT Quick Pack would be a better choice. Both options assume the answer to the first question is yes.

3. Will my existing receiver (or the one I'm considering) have any issues? I saw one post about 4 Ohm vs. 2 Ohm and be sure the receiver will handle it. To be frank, I didn't understand it.

4. What you can't see in the picture is that the wall behind the couch is almost entirely windows. In a 5.1 I would be mounting the rears high up on the wall or the ceiling. Would I benefit at all going to a 6.1 or 7.1 system from my current 5.1?

5. Given my room and current speakers, would I gain anything with a Mod4 as a center channel over the Mod2?

Thanks for reading.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page