Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1404 Old 01-05-2008, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEANMASXX View Post

I used "Flat Pin Connectors fro Radio Shack for 14 - 16 gauge wires"- Item # 278-317.
They cost $3.99 for a package of 4. It takes a little time to attach them to the wires, but it then becomes very easy to attach and re-attach whenever necessary. I had to cut the pins down so that thet wouldn't protrude too far. If you try them, you'll see what I mean.
Dean

Those are the same flat pin connectors I used.

Most B&M Radio Shacks usually have a few of these in stock so you can see what you're getting before you buy.

IMO, They're impossible to beat for the convenience, function and price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1404 Old 01-08-2008, 05:00 PM

For sound with the Orb speakers what is preferred over these 2 models:

Yamaha 3800

or Denon 3808

I know Orbaudio sells the Yamahaa 3800 but they do not yet sell the Denon 3808.

Thoughts?
post #363 of 1404 Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 AM

Liked: 13
Orb Audio is in the speaker business, not the receiver business. I would not base my choice of receiver on whether or not they are sold by Orb Audio.

Do your research and purchase a receiver that fits your needs and budget.
post #364 of 1404 Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstand View Post

Orb Audio is in the speaker business, not the receiver business. I would not base my choice of receiver on whether or not they are sold by Orb Audio.

Do your research and purchase a receiver that fits your needs and budget.

The point of my question is I am looking reports on users who have used either AVR with Orb speakers and want their thoughts, looking to get some comparison.
post #365 of 1404 Old 01-11-2008, 06:18 AM

kp....I agree with rstand in terms of doing your research on finding the right receiver for you. There are several great threads here that helped me with the decision. However, I’ll admit my bias towards Yamaha and have not heard the Denon; so take this for what it’s worth.

The RX-V1800 was the right choice for me with its features. I just installed the People's Choice HT Quick Pack (already had a sub) and the combination sounds good to me (5.1). Only “good” because I’m not overly pleased with my subs’ performance with this combination and will be updating to the Super Eight or the Polk PSW-404 soon. Both subs are offered by Orb Audio, so I take it both subs are a good blend with these speakers. That said; if anyone has first hand experience with the Orb / Polk sub combination, I like your thoughts.

This is the second People’s choice system I have set up and the previous system used the Super 8 sub. This system is also 7.1. The original receiver was the Yamaha HTR-5860 and the combination sounded very good. My daughter’s fiancé recently purchased the RX-V661 to replace the HTR-5860 primarily for HDMI purposes, as upconversion was not required. We completed the install of the new receiver last weekend and this combination sounds extremely good. The main reason for SQ improvement is he also updated his DVD player to take advantage of digital audio vs. L/R analog.

All in all I’m happy with both Orb systems. I hope to borrow the Super 8 sub to try in my setup to ensure the difference is with the sub and not sub placement, etc. In terms of the Yamaha receivers all three have met the need, although none are the 3800 you are considering. The 1800 will be the most similar. My guess is Denon or Onkyo receivers (others?) could have also met the need.

I hope this helps.

Scott
post #366 of 1404 Old 01-11-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdillon View Post

For sound with the Orb speakers what is preferred over these 2 models:

Yamaha 3800

or Denon 3808

I know Orbaudio sells the Yamahaa 3800 but they do not yet sell the Denon 3808.

Thoughts?

I have owned Yamaha receivers for a long time. I don't have much experience in comparing the Yamaha and Denon receivers side-by-side, but my general impression in hearing them in seperate Orb set-ups is that the Yamaha is a little brighter and the Denon is a little warmer sounding. With the Orbs, I tend to like the brighter sound because the speakers don't have a dedicated tweeter and I feel like I hear better treble response with the Yamaha receiver. The Denon has a little richer mid-range. Both companies build great receivers, so either will sound good, but which one sounds best to you is what is important.
post #367 of 1404 Old 01-11-2008, 09:49 AM

Thank you, this is the kind of feedback I am looking for! This is helpful!
post #368 of 1404 Old 01-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

I have owned Yamaha receivers for a long time. I don't have much experience in comparing the Yamaha and Denon receivers side-by-side, but my general impression in hearing them in seperate Orb set-ups is that the Yamaha is a little brighter and the Denon is a little warmer sounding. With the Orbs, I tend to like the brighter sound because the speakers don't have a dedicated tweeter and I feel like I hear better treble response with the Yamaha receiver. The Denon has a little richer mid-range. Both companies build great receivers, so either will sound good, but which one sounds best to you is what is important.

Of course, my friend who owns the Orb-Denon combination thinks my Orb-Yamaha system is too bright and harsh. That's why they make different brands and why it is so important for you to listen and decide for yourself.
post #369 of 1404 Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

Of course, my friend who owns the Orb-Denon combination thinks my Orb-Yamaha system is too bright and harsh. That's why they make different brands and why it is so important for you to listen and decide for yourself.

I ended up trying both receivers with the Orb's. Both ended up sounding really good combined with the Orbs. I would highly recommend either receiver. It seems it was easier to get better base out of the Yamaha without much tweaking and it seems it was easier to hear more detail with the Denon without much tweaking. I used the respective YPAO and Audyssey setup.

Thanks for the comments! Still interested in hearing other's experiences.
post #370 of 1404 Old 01-14-2008, 07:47 PM

I just bought the 5.1 mod4 system with the uber 10 sub. Hopefully this was a good purchase. I will come back and let everyone know once I get them set up.
post #371 of 1404 Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinMan_x2000 View Post

I just bought the 5.1 mod4 system with the uber 10 sub. Hopefully this was a good purchase. I will come back and let everyone know once I get them set up.

Post some pictures too if you can. I'm still curious about how this Mod4 looks and sounds. Thanks!
post #372 of 1404 Old 01-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Some FYI....

I had been in love with my Orbs since I purchased them. I have been running them with my trusty Denon 3300. the only upgrade i made was adding a Hsu VTF 3.3. This made the experience incredible. I never thought I would get better sound without getting new/larger speakers. That was until yesterday when my reconditioned Onkyo 805 arrived. What a change. The 805 really made me start listening to stuff over. And that was only the beginning....Once I setup with Audyssey it just got better. I'm not sure how to put in words how the system now sounds...It's just enveloping. Now i have listened to other systems, so it's not like i wouldn't have brought another receiver before if i thought the sound would be so dramatically better. The only reason i purchased the onkyo was for hdmi switching (had to get rid of all the extra cables, especially the 6 analogs from my hd dvd.) not sure if anyone was looking to upgrade their receiver, but i would highly recommend this one...as an aside, when Audyssey ran specs for the orbs, it used 150hz as the cutoff......i thought they went as low as 90 hz comfortably. if i feel a need to upgrade again i think i'll go mod 4's l/c/r, and mod 2's in rear. (currently mod 2's l/c/r, and mod 1's in rear). anyone have experience going from mod 2's to mod 4's?
post #373 of 1404 Old 01-20-2008, 07:29 PM

Greetings Everyone:

After lurking for far too long, I've decide to join the fun. I've already learned quite a bit, and find all of the information very helpful, if a bit overwhelming.

I'm looking to set up a HT in my family room. I have all the usually issues (odd shape, open layout, etc, etc). Oh yeah, the wife doesn't want big speakers anymore . . . I think she defines "big speakers" as anything she can actually see, but that's another story

I've looked into Bose, Kef, Gallo, Mirgae Nanostas, Morduant Short Genies, HSU, and SVS. I've also been looking very hard at the Orbs. I really like the modular set up possibilities and the various finishes. Even my wife likes the bronze!! As everyone else has said, their customer service alone makes me want to buy the darn things. Every e-mail has been answered in minutes, and with very good, detailed information. These guys know their product and their competition.

If I go with the Orbs, I'm thinking a of six speaker set up, since it just seems to flow better in the room that a five or seven. The Left, Center and Right would be Mod 2's and the three rear would be Mod 1's. The ability to get a "pre-packaged" six-speaker system also has me leaning towards Orb Audio.

Firstly, any thoughts on the other brands, most specifically the KEF KHT3005?

Secondly, I'm torn between the "new and improved" Super 8 that they now offer with 200 watts or the newly introduced Uber Ten. Both have the small footprint that I need.

I'm a little concerned with some of the limitations of the Super 8. Sure, it gets great reviews, but at only eight inches, will it really be sufficient with hardcore bass? On the other hand, is the Uber Ten "worth" the $299 upgrade? I realize that in the end, only I can make that call, but it all comes down to price vs. performance in the end.

This will be my first Sub /Sat system and I know that they all have limitaions compared to tower speakers. I'm just looking for some opinions to help sway my decision.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
post #374 of 1404 Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 PM

Shawnee29, welcome to the fun. You did well to lurk and learn before your first post.

I have no opinion on the KEF's as I haven't heard them. I'm sure they're great speakers and you should audition them if you can. I *can* comment on the Orbs, however: I like them. A lot. For many reasons - sound, price, WAF, form factor, service and support. Audition them too, it's a no risk proposition.

I ended up with a 5.1 Mod 2 / Uber 10 system that I've really been enjoying. The Uber 10 is very nice and rattles the windows and hanging pictures in my ~14x20x8 den (with adjoining kitchen). If you're price sensitive you may be able to find a better sub for the money: I'd check the sub-woofer forum for details, but I will say I've downloaded the DVD demo LFE disks and the Uber 10 goes down into the mid 20 Hz range just fine.

I'm certainly no audiophile but I feel my Orb system is a great compromise along all the dimensions I mentioned above. Of course it's not perfect : I'd like more midrange presence and a little more center channel punch. But it's not too bad and I may be able to correct these minor shortcomings with a bit of room treatment.

I decided to start my auditioning with the Orbs and they were good enough that I just stuck with them. YMMV.
post #375 of 1404 Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM

I'm interested in upgrading my Polk RM6600's with PSW350 sub with the People's Choice set. I just got a new TV and an Onkyo SR-705. Has anyone compaired these with the Polk's?
post #376 of 1404 Old 01-23-2008, 07:13 PM

Wiley1st:

Thanks for the response and the warm welcome. I'm happy to finally be a part of this forum and hope that I can eventually contribute in a positive way. I'm glad that you are enjoying your setup.

You kind of confirmed my thinking with the Uber Ten . . . I was pleased to hear your enthusiastic and vivid description!! The upgrade cost is not insigificant. I don't doubt that the Super 8 is excellent for its size, but I think I'd be happier with some "plate and window rattling"

I also agree that there may be better subwoofers out there, as well as those that are less expensive or almost as small. I'm leery about a "mix-n-match" with this system due to the high crossover that is apparently . Also, small size is important, and the footprint of the Uber Ten is pushing the envelope for the anticiapated location of the sub.

One of the many things I like about Orb Audio is the "modular design" aspect. I considered the Mod2's all the way around, but I'm over budget as is. I figure that I can always add three extra spheres later on if I feel the need, but I really can't just swap out the subwoofer so easily.

This will be my first Sub /Sat system and I'm a little nervous as to how it will compare to tower speakers or even bookshlef speakers. I'm no audiophile either, but I know what I like. Are there better speakers out there? No doubt. Are there less expensive speakers? Certainly. Smaller ones? Maybe. Ones that integrate better? Debateable. Ones that "look" better? That is really a matter of opinion. I tend to agree with you that based only on what I've seen and read that the combination of price, performance, size WAF and form is hard to pass up. Coupled with the 30 day trial and Ethan's supurlative customer service, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Thanks again!!
post #377 of 1404 Old 01-25-2008, 10:39 AM

Does anyone here have any opinions on using the Onkyo 605 receiver with Orb speakers?
post #378 of 1404 Old 01-31-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Touch View Post

Does anyone here have any opinions on using the Onkyo 605 receiver with Orb speakers?

also very interested in someone answering, who has this setup...

HD-A30 & PS3
HD-DVD: ~27
Blu-Ray: ~22
post #379 of 1404 Old 02-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Touch View Post

Now that you mention it, I am also very interested in this topic. I would imagine there are quite a few folks using this set up. Come on, share some info please!
post #380 of 1404 Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 PM

OK guys, I am still getting everything set up. I just got all of my Mod4's mounted up and the uber 10 is now placed. I have some more angle adjustments to make before I run the audessy setup on the onkyo 705. But so far, geez, these things sound great. I am still building the cabinate for all the audio equipment to rest in so it will be a few more weeks until everything is tweaked. My initial impressions are great though!
post #381 of 1404 Old 02-01-2008, 09:03 PM

I need to get a good center channel and saw a polk csi3 on sale for $100. It has some very good reviews and a $200 savings over getting two more Orbs. Am I going to get better performance using the Orbs or can I mix in the Polk with my Classic Two's?
post #382 of 1404 Old 02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellerite View Post

I need to get a good center channel and saw a polk csi3 on sale for $100. It has some very good reviews and a $200 savings over getting two more Orbs. Am I going to get better performance using the Orbs or can I mix in the Polk with my Classic Two's?

I don't know about how the Polk would match with the Orbs ... I used to own a CSi3 (along with RTi6 for the fronts) and it's a decent center for the price, but you don't want to mix in a center that doesn't match well with the Orbs.

Another user found the Infinity Beta C-250 center was a good match:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10179762
post #383 of 1404 Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM

After 2 years of lusting over the Orbs, I finally pulled the trigger today!!
got me the stainless steel Mod2 HT quik pack, I'll be retiring my very sexy Celestion AVP305 &
pairing the Orbs with a Panny Xr55 & BIC H-100.
hope it's totally worth it - still bleeding here.........
post #384 of 1404 Old 02-07-2008, 04:31 AM

I am very interested to hear your feelings about the Orb/Panny combo. I need a new receiver and that is one I am considering. Congrats on your purchase and please report back.
post #385 of 1404 Old 02-12-2008, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wonder if any of you would mind giving me a few pointers in regards to the Orb speakers and the Onkyo 605.In the set up menu of the Onkyo, 2.2 to be precise,"speaker configuration", I have my Mod2 's set to 100Hz and the LPf as well ,is this accurate or completely wrong ?
In the 2.4 mode "level calibration" i have all the speakers at +10db ,is this good ? Should i put the "equalizer " on ? What should I put the crossover at ?
thanks very much.
post #386 of 1404 Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Im thinking about getting orb mod 2 for the rear. Should I get there matching center with it ? I already have mains. need a sub, center, rears. any advice. thanks chris
post #387 of 1404 Old 02-15-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

Im thinking about getting orb mod 2 for the rear. Should I get there matching center with it ? I already have mains. need a sub, center, rears. any advice. thanks chris

I think you'd be much better off getting something to match your front L/R for the center, unless you want to convert everything to Orb.
post #388 of 1404 Old 02-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have a old pair of ads L810 speakers for my mains. Im going hang onto them for now. They still sound sweet. I will try to bring them into a local dealer and match them up that way.

The orbs for rears interested me. I can always send them back if they dont match well. thanks chris
post #389 of 1404 Old 02-16-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
How much would I benefit sound wise from adding another Mod 2 to my setup? I bought the classic two a few months ago from a seller on ebay. I got an amazing deal on it because it had a few nicks/marks on a couple of the orbs (worth it for saving over $200 dollars plus it's black so it is hard to see unless you are up close). I currently have them converted so the left and right speakers are Mod1 and the center channel is a Mod2 . I honestly like the sound a lot and can see why everyone recommends a center channel now. Would I get a big increase sound wise if I purchased a mod2 from orbaudio to make it a complete mod 2 setup? I don't mind spending the extra money if I will see a big difference. Thanks in advance!
post #390 of 1404 Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
Have been thinking about the Mod4 setup myself. A few in this thread said they placed orders, anyone have pictures or details yet? thanks
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page