post #541 of 1401 Old 08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhato View Post

When watching movies though, I am sitting still and focused. At this point the recommended settings sound wrong because the subwoofer becomes localized. I do not like being able to identify the location of LFE (Low Frequency Extension) as it detracts from the immersive experience of movies. For the majority of the movies I watch, the 120hz crossover is fantastic and rarely becomes localizable. 100hz or 80hz would be even better for LFE, but to my ears 120hz is the limit to my compromise.

If you can hear the localized bass frequencies, this normally means you have the volume control on the Subwoofer too high. In your case, it is mandatory to decrease the volume because your crossover is set to the upper limit to blend with the Orb's.

I hope that helps!

OPPO BETA GROUP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1401 Old 08-16-2008, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larain60 View Post

Hello

I purchased the Orb People's Choice 7.1 setup with a 8 Sub. Im driving the speakers with a Denon 1909 and hooked up the PS3 for Blue Ray, and have a wall mounted 46" Aquos LCD.

The speakers sound great, look good, and mounted easily with 30's mounts up front and ceiling mounts on the L/R and rear.

Believe it or not, the Sub was DOA, I plugged it in, it sounded like it powered, then heated up and the LED died. More likely than not the box was banged around in shipping. Even without the sub, the speakers still sound great haha... but this is coming from someone who didnt have a stereo until last week.

Orb's customer service is outstanding. I called them today, they already shipped me a replacement sub which will probably be here Thursday.

One thing I wanted to mention for those who dont yet own a receiver and are looking at the orbs. You may want to strongly consider the Denon 1909 receiver... it has the Audyssey Dynamic sound feature which includes a microphone and automatically programs the gain etc based on calculations. Whats nice is that for a HT system, it lets you get the most out of the side and rear speakers especially when running mod 2's up front and singles on the side and back, without the dramatic fluctuations in volume.

Ill post pics when I have a chance--- no furniture yet.

I purchased the same receiver and am thinking about the Orbs as well. I would like to hear how you have set up the receiver to work with People's Choice.
post #543 of 1401 Old 08-16-2008, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
On the wall, or stands away from the walls, or both. I'd like to hear how everyone is using their Orb system set-up and what they think of the sound in that particular orientation. Has anyone compared? Since, I purchased my set-up a year or so ago, they've been on the wall exclusively.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #544 of 1401 Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 PM

After reading a lot of posts and reviews I am leaning heavily toward purchasing the Orb's; however, despite my reading I am still new to all of this audio stuff.

One thing I like about the Orbs is their modular design. I was thinking about purchasing the People's Choice model and then eventually upgrading the center channel speaker to a different brand (higher quality), I would move the CC Orbs to the back, thereby converting them from mod1 to mod2.

Is it wrong to mix and match speakers, especially ones like Orb that were designed to work together. Am I crazy to think that a better CC will improve the overall sound quality? I think a CC is very important and wouldn't mind upgrading down the road IF it will improve my system. Specially I would want a CC that would have a better range than the Orbs.

Thoughts???

BTW if it matters I currently have a Denon 988 to drive the speakers.
post #545 of 1401 Old 08-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

I would think that a better right/left pair would be more important than a better center channel. For me, center channel is for voice and the Orbs do that very well.

Moving the Orbs to the rear as you upgrade is a good idea. Have you considered upgrading from 5.1 to 7.1?
post #546 of 1401 Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 PM

I am getting Orbs because of the small footprint (WAF); however, the center speaker can have a larger footprint due to its location under the TV (its less obtrusive).

If an upgraded CC won't boost performance much then I might just the people's choice now and upgrade to Mod2 in the future.
post #547 of 1401 Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I think it is ok to mix and match speakers. Speaker manufacturers always tell you that you shouldn't but why would they recommend it?

I have 18 year old Magnaplanars for my front L/R, a pair of Orbs for my center, single Orbs for the left and right surround, a pair of old Polk Audio bookshelf speakers for my rear surrounds and an Infinity sub.

I'll probably replace the Polks with Orbs once there is more 7.1 material although those old Polks are pretty good for what they have to carry as rear surrounds. But for aesthetics I'd rather have the Orbs. If I ever move out of my multi-unit building, I'll probably upgrade the sub as well. I'll never give up the Maggies until they give up on me. When they stop working I won't hesitate to replace them. But until then I will continue to love their sound for both stereo music listening and as part of my home theater.

PSN brakel

post #548 of 1401 Old 08-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Anyone pair Orb Audio Mod2 speakers to the Yamaha HTR6160 / RX-V663? How does it sound? Also, anyone using the Uber cable for the subwoofer? Any recommendations for good woofer cable (preferably monoprice). Thanks everyone.
post #549 of 1401 Old 08-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Good woofer cable = low resistance

Get heavy copper wire (small gage numbers such as 10 ga or 12 ga). 12 gage wire should be available in a wide range of insulation colors.

Buy some good quality banana plugs to install on each end.
post #550 of 1401 Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 AM

Has anyone tried matching the Orbs with other speakers? Stereo music is important to me, and I'd like to use a more conventional set of bookshelf speakers for L/R channel, while using the orbs for centre and the rears. I may not even get the sub, as I think my bookshelfs go deep enough.

Would this work?
post #551 of 1401 Old 08-18-2008, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post

Has anyone tried matching the Orbs with other speakers? Stereo music is important to me, and I'd like to use a more conventional set of bookshelf speakers for L/R channel, while using the orbs for centre and the rears. I may not even get the sub, as I think my bookshelfs go deep enough.

Would this work?

The Orbs might work well as surrounds, but I'd strongly suggest getting a center speaker from the same speaker line as your front L/R speakers. Mixing your bookshelf speakers with an Orb center will probably produce an unnatural front soundstage. In fact if it were between mixing your bookshelf speakers with an Orb center or only using the bookshelf speakers, I'd likely elect not to use a center speaker at all. It doesn't matter as much if the surrounds match your front speakers, so I'd assume Orbs would probably do fine as surround speakers.
post #552 of 1401 Old 08-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post

Would this work?

Been there, done that.

Yes, bookshelf speakers really helped (mine are Paradigm Studio monitors). The 8" subwoofer really, really helps. It is a dedicated low frequency driver and it's low frequency performance is improved ("cleaner") as a result. It is not essential but it is really nice to have.
post #553 of 1401 Old 08-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag View Post

Get heavy copper wire (small gage numbers such as 10 ga or 12 ga). 12 gage wire should be available in a wide range of insulation colors.

I put my lines in the wall.

For subs I use RG-6 coax cable. Then it converts to RCA plug at the wall plate.

For speaker wire I use inwall 14 or 16 guage wire rated for inwall. I never heard an advantage to 10 guage wire.
post #554 of 1401 Old 08-18-2008, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

The Orbs might work well as surrounds, but I'd strongly suggest getting a center speaker from the same speaker line as your front L/R speakers. Mixing your bookshelf speakers with an Orb center will probably produce an unnatural front soundstage. In fact if it were between mixing your bookshelf speakers with an Orb center or only using the bookshelf speakers, I'd likely elect not to use a center speaker at all. It doesn't matter as much if the surrounds match your front speakers, so I'd assume Orbs would probably do fine as surround speakers.

My experience has been that the Orbs work well as a center and L/R surrounds mixed with other speakers. I know the line that speaker sales people use is to have your L/R speakers match the center, but I don't think it is necessary. I'm using a pair of Orbs as my center speaker and as my L/R surrounds. My L/R fronts are a pair of 18 year old Magnaplanars. The important thing is to make sure that you balance how loud it is. If the speakers are of decent quality it should not produce an unnatural sound stage...or at least that has been my experience.

PSN brakel

post #555 of 1401 Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhato View Post

Anyone know if placing an RCA splitter on the LFE is a problem?

Curious if you are currently using boths subs? If so, what are your thoughts?

BTW....each time I read one of your posts I think "those poor fish!"
post #556 of 1401 Old 08-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Upon my return from Mexico I decided to send the Super 8 back. Just too lazy to grab a long bit, crawl through the attic and run another wire.

There are plenty of times the Uber 10s port gets in the way of some DEEP sub bass, but at least I can crank it louder before it happens. I am certain 2 Super 8s or one 12" sub would be perfect. But I am DONE spending money. Gotta pay down some debt.
post #557 of 1401 Old 08-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:

This is total nonsense, you must have stock in Monster
post #558 of 1401 Old 08-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaHawk View Post

This is total nonsense, you must have stock in Monster

What are you talking about? Why is that?

If you are powering your sub from your amplifier,... the lower the harness resistance, the more power gets transfered to the sub. It's simple DC harness design.

If your sub has it's own amplifier and you are only sending a signal,...

12 gage power cord is very inexpensive. I do not and would not own any high priced cables.
post #559 of 1401 Old 08-22-2008, 05:42 PM

How would the 5.1 Mod2 setup sound in comparison to the Energy Take Classic 5.1 system? Thanks in advance.
Using Yamaha HTR-6160
post #560 of 1401 Old 08-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoyce View Post

Anyone pair Orb Audio Mod2 speakers to the Yamaha HTR6160 / RX-V663? How does it sound? Also, anyone using the Uber cable for the subwoofer? Any recommendations for good woofer cable (preferably monoprice). Thanks everyone.

Quote:

What are you talking about? Why is that?

If you are powering your sub from your amplifier,... the lower the harness resistance, the more power gets transfered to the sub. It's simple DC harness design.

Am I missing something, where does it say he's powering his subwoofer from his amplifier? The "Uber cable" is not speaker wire
post #561 of 1401 Old 08-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaHawk View Post

Am I missing something, where does it say he's powering his subwoofer from his amplifier? The "Uber cable" is not speaker wire

I think we are not communicating here.
post #562 of 1401 Old 08-23-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajoyce View Post

I have the People's Choice 5.1 paired to a Yamaha RX-V661 (close to the above), and Orb's 'normal' subwoofer cable. That cable seems good enough to me, personally.

Almost a year into owning this setup at this point, and I love the Orbs/Yamaha combo more now than when I first fired it up. As with many others who selected Orb, space restrictions were a big driver for me when I first started looking at them, but all the same I remain as impressed today with the sound as I was with their customer service when I first contacted them.

Between the form factor and sound, the system hasn't failed to get kudos from everyone I've shown it to.

Only thing the 661 didn't do for me was deliver as many HDMI inputs as I needed, but a Monoprice switcher solved that for me beautifully
post #563 of 1401 Old 09-03-2008, 12:44 PM

Liked: 22
Orbs certainly look very cute and unobtrusive. HOSS stands are simply stunning in appearance and design. However, I am concerned that all speakers of this type (including Gallo Diva and Nucleus) may impose sub cross over frequency that is too high to accommodate center channel dialogue properly. Proper reproduction of human voice requires a frequency response of 80 Hz to 10 kHz. A center channel speaker that is crossed over at 120 Hz or 150 Hz may degrade some of the lowest notes for bass, baritone, and tenor voices, leading to voice smearing as well as sub localization. It would appear that satellite speakers in a sub/satellite combo should be capable of reproducing sounds down to approximately 80 Hz to accommodate speech properly.

Listed below are vocal range classifications used in classical music:

Soprano (240 - 1170 Hz)
Mezzo-soprano (220 - 900 Hz)
Contralto (130 - 700 Hz)
Tenor (130 - 440 Hz)
Baritone (110 - 350 Hz)
Bass (80 - 330 Hz)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templat...l_pitch_ranges

Also worth reading is the following excellent explanation from Meyer Sound speech intelligibility papers:

http://www.meyersound.com/support/pa...h/section2.htm

Frequency Response

One of the most obvious aspects of sound system performance that affect intelligibility is frequency response. Severely band-limited systems deliver speech poorly. For instance, telephones are generally limited to a 2 kHz bandwidth, and this makes it hard to distinguish between f and s or d and t sounds.

High-quality speech systems need to cover the frequency range of about 80 Hz (for especially deep male voices) to about 10 kHz (for best reproduction of consonants, which are crucial to intelligibility). Response below 80 Hz must be eliminated to the extent possible: not only do these frequencies fall below the range of the speech signal, but also they will cause particularly destructive masking at high sound levels.

It's important, also, for the system response to be reasonably flat throughout its range. The gradual high-frequency rolloff that many reinforcement professionals favor for music applications will tend to de-emphasize consonants, which are already as much as 27 dB less loud than vowels. Likewise, prominent peaks or dips in the response can cause either self-masking or loss of consonant articulation.

Finally, the coverage of the system must be consistent throughout the intended listener area, with minimal response cancellations or off-axis dropoff in the critical high frequencies. This requirement very often dictates either a distributed loudspeaker system or carefully aimed and delayed fill speakers. Using high-Q loudspeakers will help to elevate the S/N ratio between the speech and the reverberation levels.
post #564 of 1401 Old 09-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

That's a lot of techno babel that would be great in a class room but what really counts is what sounds good in my living room. The Orbs sound great. My Orb configuration is probably different than anyone's here and my living room setup certainly is different than everyone here. That's why what might sound good in my living might not work in another. You have to hear it.

Along the same lines, some people might be attuned to hear "voice smearing" or other such artifacts and I may not be. Technical facts aren't really going to tell you whether Orbs, or any other speaker for that matter, are going to sound good to you with your setup in your environment.

PSN brakel

post #565 of 1401 Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Enjoy your set-up, and rest assured that I don't doubt your assessment. I was merely pointing out that it's physically impossible for the Orbs to reproduce the entire frequency spectrum of human speech. This fact may be more relevant to lovers of classical music (especially opera) because sub localization and voice smearing will likely be apparent with such material. I suspect that you have no issues with your set-up because the majority of movie dialogue may not contain bass and baritone voices. On the upper end of the spectrum, Orbs should have no difficulty going above 10 kHz, which is important for speech intelligibility as Meyer Sounds paper explained.
post #566 of 1401 Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 PM

@ sdv5

I love sound snobs, "the attenuated tenor had a muddy hue reminiscent of a warmed summer Chiraz draped in madagascar cinnamon, its reverberation off my timpanic membrane ..." Whatever man! Don't like em, think they are too small, move on, most of us have not the time nor compulsion to read linked articles, and other useless drivel about a product and an industry that is completely subjective. When people are willing to pay absurd sums of money and reinforce the structural rigidity of their homes to accommodate wilson watt puppy's for what at its essence is a woofer, tweeter,and highs, just like every other speaker known to man from $1 and up, it just makes sound. Find what you like and be happy with it.

Dont argue with fools. people from a distance cant tell who is who.
post #567 of 1401 Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Sorry, biggstuu, you are in the wrong forum. This is the AV Science Forum. You need to go to a different forum, perhaps the all-speakers-sound-the-same forum, or sounds-good-to-me forum. No need to spend this kind of money on Orbs either because white van speakers will probably sound just as good to you. After all, they too have "woofer, tweeter, and highs, just like every other speaker known to man from $1 and up, it just makes sound".

I suspect that most people come to this forum to learn something new, and they actually have the time to read linked articles or at least posted excerpts from linked articles. Remember, this is a hobby you attend to in spare time, not your crowded e-mail Inbox from work. Also, this is the first time I've heard someone refer to Meyer's work as drivel. Perhaps you'll change your opinion after you learn what John Meyer has accomplished.
post #568 of 1401 Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 AM

Hey, in the relentless pursuit if perfection, audio perfection, why would you come into an orb thread babbling about the inability of the speaker or those like it in a sub/sat config to accurately reproduce speech across the full spectrum? Orb has never claimed that it's speakers even come close to attempting such a feat. So then there must have been an assumption that Orb owners or other sub/sat owners are ignorant of the compromises in audio recreation they made when choosing a sub/sat config? As you stated this is the AVS, but as is proven in countless forums, the majority of members are simply looking for basic troubleshooting, config and product recommendations. Recommendations that deal more with the performance of the product, not the color, and texture of sound of audio. There is probably a forum on this site that addresses your concerns, most of us though just prefer to share ideas with each other on how to enjoy our Orbs for what they are affordable speakers (a relative term, I know), that sound good just as they are.

Dont argue with fools. people from a distance cant tell who is who.
post #569 of 1401 Old 09-04-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggstuu View Post

why would you come into an orb thread babbling about the inability of the speaker or those like it in a sub/sat config to accurately reproduce speech across the full spectrum?

I never made such a sweeping statement that all speakers in the sub/sat configuration are incapable of reproducing speech across the full spectrum. Just the Orbs (and Gallo Diva/Nucleus, and quite likely other single driver designs from Bose, etc.). I posted to this thread because I was considering purchasing the Orbs but gave up precisely for this reason. There are MANY sub/sat configurations where satellites go down to 80 Hz comfortably and are quite small (e.g., Energy RC-Mini, new Mirage, Def Tech ProMonitor series, Monitor Audio Radius 90, Epos ELS-3, etc.). All these speakers are two-way designs, and will easily beat Mod2 in sound quality (for less money!). Of course, they are not as unobtrusive and visually appealing as the Orbs.

I understand that for many people, visual appeal will be more important than sound quality. That is perfectly fine. However, my recommendation to prospective Orb buyers is to evaluate small two-way satellites because the difference in sound quality (and speech intelligibility especially for center channel speaker) relative to Orbs may be important. I also wanted to provide some numbers and references regarding the frequency response of human voice, a topic that is often brought up in the context of sub/sat configurations. There is nothing subjective and voodoo about this; it's pure science.
post #570 of 1401 Old 09-04-2008, 04:30 PM

I think if you had taken the time to read some of the thread, you would see that it is stated over and over that if you have room for or don't mind larger speakers, then better sound quality is out there. You never state whether you have actually heard an Orb set-up, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you have because no self-respecting audiophile would ever comment on a speaker system he had never heard. If you had read through the thread, you would see that many Orb owners, like me, own other speakers in other rooms in their home and have no problem acknowledging the differences in sound between sub/sat configurations, like Orb and Gallo, versus the larger speakers. However, I personally don't think it is a matter of visual appeal being more important than sound quality. Each person has individual expectations and goals for their system, and the Orbs were the perfect balance of sound, size and aesthetics for me. I have never heard any sub localization and the voices sound just fine to me. People that come to my home are amazed at the sound that comes out of these tiny balls, so it isn't just Orb owners that seem to love them. However it seems the Orbs are not for you and I hope you are as happy with the speakers you decide to buy as many are with their Orb system.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page