Orb Speakers Official Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1404 Old 12-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Why not wall mount your speakers?

Saves money on stands and you can pick up wall mounts pretty cheap.

2 reasons. The first is that I don't want to hassle with trying to fish the wires down the wall. Second, we have mahogany paneling in the den that the original owners had shipped over from somewhere on a boat, so I'm not too keen on running screws into it.
Mark McIntosh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1404 Old 12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Teamhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I a getting ready to purchase the People's Choice Orb set, but I have been stuck in receiver hell. Has anyone had problems running the Orb's with the Onkyo SR606? I know it is a lower end receiver, just wondering if anyone has paired one up with the Orb's?
Teamhood is offline  
post #633 of 1404 Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Newbie
 
cbaker16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I paired the orbs with a low end Onkyo for the past couple of years and it sounded great. no issues at all. Just upgraded to a new Denon receiver for HDMI switching.
cbaker16 is offline  
post #634 of 1404 Old 12-09-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

2 reasons. The first is that I don't want to hassle with trying to fish the wires down the wall. Second, we have mahogany paneling in the den that the original owners had shipped over from somewhere on a boat, so I'm not too keen on running screws into it.

I see your point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeisa View Post

I have a few speaker questions for those theoretical types about the Mod2. Why do the Mod versions sound better than a single driver?

1. Does the addition of another speaker(s) increase the output by 3dB (theoretical) across the whole frequency range or are there certain frequencies that are affected more than others?

2. Is there any additional benefit at lower frequencies with more drivers due to room gain, etc. therefore giving a Mod2 a wider frequency response (+/- 3dB) than a single Orb?

3. Due to the 3dB increase, does the sound sound fuller because people are listening to louder volumes or does the lower power required for each individual speaker allow it to play with more headroom/less distortion while the combined output is the same?

TIA to anyone with good answers!

I guess, I'll take a gander at this. I'll apologize in advance for any statement errors.

Yes, the output volume is increased but so are the frequencies at either end of the spectrum by a small degree. Going from a Mod1 to a Mod2 raises the volume and increases the image/soundstage. Also, the sensitivity is raised by going from a Mod1 to a Mod2. I hear it's 89 & 92 respectively. Having a higher efficiency speaker means you won't have to play your system as loud reducing distortion from each speaker per channel. Of course, unless your speakers are bigger than 3 inches and can deal with having a lower sensitivity rating. The higher the efficency. All in all, you answered much of your own questions.

Hopefully, another Forum Member can add their two cents and correct me if I'm wrong. You could email your questions to Orb to see what they say.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #635 of 1404 Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
Big Lag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
But going to Mod2's, and especially to Mod4's, seems to defeat the whole purpose of buying Orb's in the first place - compact size, wife-pleasing design, etc.

If you can deal with Mod4's for right, left and center channel speakers, you should consider different speakers for your mains.
Big Lag is offline  
post #636 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
vhato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Prairieville, La
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag View Post

But going to Mod2's, and especially to Mod4's, seems to defeat the whole purpose of buying Orb's in the first place - compact size, wife-pleasing design, etc.

If you can deal with Mod4's for right, left and center channel speakers, you should consider different speakers for your mains.

I agree, a point with the Orbs can be reached where improved fidelity can be heard for the same price once you purchase the Mod4s. Especially if you add the Orb stands. I feel a full range speaker capable of accurately reproducing sounds only a tweeter and woofer can reproduce would have been better for my money. I am in to Orb for around $2,400.00 and really do think I would have been better off buying full range speakers and a sub and I am only Mod2. But now that I am here, transitioning to Mod4 is easy!
vhato is offline  
post #637 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhato View Post

I agree, a point with the Orbs can be reached where improved fidelity can be heard for the same price once you purchase the Mod4s. Especially if you add the Orb stands. I feel a full range speaker capable of accurately reproducing sounds only a tweeter and woofer can reproduce would have been better for my money. I am in to Orb for around $2,400.00 and really do think I would have been better off buying full range speakers and a sub and I am only Mod2. But now that I am here, transitioning to Mod4 is easy!

Total agreement with the above in respect to Mod4's, however the footprint for Mod2's is no larger than Mod1's. I just got some speaker stands at Best Buy for less than $50 and they are doing the job nicely. I totally agree that better sound can be had for the same dollar, but as has been stated MANY times and still holds true for me, Orbs represent an outstanding combination of sound, style, and aesthetics. I just got a Denon 988 and a Sony Blue ray player and the HT sound in Dolby True HD is fabulous! I am still tweaking the CD audio settings to tone down a little of the harshness, but I have no doubt that once I get the settings right audio will be back on par with the HT.

How are you into Orb for $2,400 for Mod2's?
Mark McIntosh is offline  
post #638 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
Big Lag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also did not nderstand that price. Did you mean $1400?

When you start thinking about upgrading to Mod4's, you should consider something else. Use the Orbs as side and rear channel speakers and buy good quality bookshelf or floor-standing speakers for the mains.
Big Lag is offline  
post #639 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
razel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeisa View Post

Why do the Mod versions sound better than a single driver?

It is mostly because you have two 3" drivers reinforcing each other instead of one tiny 3". Granted Orb (and Anthony Gallo) have pushed the 3" driver's envelope, but you just cannot overcome physics. You have to move air to create sound and you need to move quite a bit to fill larger rooms, which most relate to 'sounding full' since more area in the room is filled with sound. Again this isn't to say 3" is bad, in fact, I recommend the Orb and Athony Gallos to nearly every typical person looking for a discrete surround system in their typical sized living rooms.

Having two drivers does introduce comb filtering effects if pointed the same direction, however it seems as if the benefits outweigh that one negative.
razel is offline  
post #640 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Patdeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

It is mostly because you have two 3" drivers reinforcing each other instead of one tiny 3". Granted Orb (and Anthony Gallo) have pushed the 3" driver's envelope, but you just cannot overcome physics. You have to move air to create sound and you need to move quite a bit to fill larger rooms, which most relate to 'sounding full' since more area in the room is filled with sound.

I understand this, but my question is related to why does two drivers moving less air per speaker with a cumulative amount of air equal to a single driver being driven harder sound "better"? Distortion? Wall/room effects? I'm really trying to get an answer to whether a Mod2 has a wider frequency response, particularly on the low end, as a single, due to the two drivers. From what I know, the frequency response is likely to be the same, except increased 3dB across all frequencies, unless some other effect (room/wall/resistance difference/etc.) affects it.

Quote:


Again this isn't to say 3" is bad, in fact, I recommend the Orb and Athony Gallos to nearly every typical person looking for a discrete surround system in their typical sized living rooms.

I agree fully, especially as an owner of 14 Gallo satellites.

Thanks for the time to respond.
Patdeisa is offline  
post #641 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
razel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeisa View Post

I understand this, but my question is related to why does two drivers moving less air per speaker with a cumulative amount of air equal to a single driver being driven harder sound "better"? Distortion? Wall/room effects? I'm really trying to get an answer to whether a Mod2 has a wider frequency response, particularly on the low end, as a single, due to the two drivers. From what I know, the frequency response is likely to be the same, except increased 3dB across all frequencies, unless some other effect (room/wall/resistance difference/etc.) affects it.

Sounds better because drivers aren't working as hard to produce the same sound. They're not moving back and forth as much thus not reaching their limits as quickly. They're probably stating a wider frequency response due to it handling lower frequencies better at higher volumes because of the reinforcement. Yes the frequency response theoretically ought to be the same, but realistically, with the Orb's 3", it's the lower frequencies that benefit more from the reinforcement.
razel is offline  
post #642 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Big Lag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There may be another effect going on. The basic orb has essentially no baffle area. When you place two Orbs next to each other, each Orb is a baffle for the other. IIRC, the difference between zero baffle and an infinite baffle is +3 dB. I seem to recall the baffle effect is frequency dependant, too. The bigger the baffle the greater the boost at lower frequency, so the difference between one driver and two would be most prominant at lower frequencies (below about 2 kHz, as a guess).

I could be totally wrong in this. It has been a long, long time since I studied this.
Big Lag is offline  
post #643 of 1404 Old 12-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Teamhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I finally took the plunge! Purchases the People's Choice and a Denon 888! Denon will be here tomorrow and the Orb's on Friday! I'm pumped to put these to work!
Teamhood is offline  
post #644 of 1404 Old 12-11-2008, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Perpendicular's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 37
After over a year of listening to a Mod1, Mod2 & Mod4 setup, I, too, have reach the conclusion that if you are going to spend all that money on a Mod4, money should be spent elsewhere. Yes, it was a hard decision to make on the Mod4.

OPPO BETA GROUP
Perpendicular is offline  
post #645 of 1404 Old 12-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Member
 
mpyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would Mod1 make a good surround speaker?
I have PSB front & center pair with a Velodyne CHT-12R powered by RX-V861
current compact surround speakers (4 of them) are from my 10 years + Sony HTiB (90Hz - 20khz).
would changing the sony to orb improve my surround sound?

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
mpyw is offline  
post #646 of 1404 Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Newbie
 
amsav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased an Onkyo NR906 receiver. I want to install small satelite speakers for my two side and two rear speakers and thinking of getting the Mod1s. Is this enough speaker for the receiver (145 watts per channel) and what about the overall sound quality? I am trying to keep these speakers as small as poosible and still get a good sound. The room is rather large, so that is not the issue. Any thoughts?
amsav is offline  
post #647 of 1404 Old 12-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Big Lag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Orbs are just about the best sound you can get in such a small package. If you want "more", you are going to have to have a larger speaker (2 Orbs or a larger box-type speaker).

The 145 W/channel is great. It allows you to play a reasonable volume without clipping the signal.
Big Lag is offline  
post #648 of 1404 Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Newbie
 
thrillerbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tennessee Valley
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering a pair of mod1s as wife-friendly rear speakers for a 5.1 setup. Any reason this wouldn't be a good idea?

I would pair them with Primus P362s and a PC350 on my Onkyo 606. I'd buy the Orbs from a buddy - what's a fair price for the pair (about 6 months old)?
thrillerbee is offline  
post #649 of 1404 Old 12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Audio_Newbies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would it be overkill if I got an Onkyo TX SR706 reciever, and just the Orb Audio Quick Pack (2xMod1)? I plan to go 5.1 eventually but my budget isnt' there right now. Its a desktop setup for PC and PS3 use. I will literally be sitting right in front of the Orbs. I do not plan on getting a sub at the moment.
Audio_Newbies is offline  
post #650 of 1404 Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
razel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillerbee View Post

I'm considering a pair of mod1s as wife-friendly rear speakers for a 5.1 setup. Any reason this wouldn't be a good idea?

I would pair them with Primus P362s and a PC350 on my Onkyo 606. I'd buy the Orbs from a buddy - what's a fair price for the pair (about 6 months old)?

It's a great idea and perfect out of the way surrounds. 6 months... less than $175 for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Newbies View Post

Would it be overkill if I got an Onkyo TX SR706 reciever, and just the Orb Audio Quick Pack (2xMod1)? Its a desktop setup for PC and PS3 use. I will literally be sitting right in front of the Orbs. I do not plan on getting a sub at the moment.

Not overkill. In fact, since you'll barely be stressing the amp and speakers, at lower volumes, it'll sound better than at louder home theater volume.
razel is offline  
post #651 of 1404 Old 12-17-2008, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Russdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PV (So Cal)
Posts: 2,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio_Newbies View Post

Would it be overkill if I got an Onkyo TX SR706 reciever, and just the Orb Audio Quick Pack (2xMod1)? I plan to go 5.1 eventually but my budget isnt' there right now. Its a desktop setup for PC and PS3 use. I will literally be sitting right in front of the Orbs. I do not plan on getting a sub at the moment.

I say this as an owner of the Orbs, I would not run Orb speakers without a sub...period. If you have to go without a sub for awhile you might think about a small bookshelf type speaker instead. Orbs without a sub are extremely thin sounding but having said that they do have a money back plan so it's not like your going to be out anything if it don't work out for you.

Russ
Russdawg is offline  
post #652 of 1404 Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Member
 
Audio_Newbies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I say this as an owner of the Orbs, I would not run Orb speakers without a sub...period. If you have to go without a sub for awhile you might think about a small bookshelf type speaker instead. Orbs without a sub are extremely thin sounding but having said that they do have a money back plan so it's not like your going to be out anything if it don't work out for you.

Well, the thing is I also don't want sound that will blast the walls off my room. My neighbors don't need to hear it. My roomates don't need to hear it either. I just need enough to fill the room with sound, and its a small room 10'x15'. I don't need bass that will go off like a nuclear blast. With that said though, optimally I would like a 10" sub but I can't afford one at the moment. A couple months down the line that may become an option for me.
The reason I'm trying to stay away from booshelfs is the ones I have seen so far - are just slightly too big.
Audio_Newbies is offline  
post #653 of 1404 Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Big Lag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Ob sub is not cheap but it is a good product.

Get a small sub, perhaps the Orb, and keep the volume DOWN! The crossover frequency and the sub volume is up to you. You are in control.

In the situation you describe, have you considered getting a really, really good set of headphones?
Big Lag is offline  
post #654 of 1404 Old 12-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just an FYI for anyone considering receiver choices to go with the Orbs. I am amazed at how much better the Orbs sound since getting a receiver with Audyssey. The sound is much fuller and more balanced, especially in the lower midrange where sub/satellite systems are usually weak. Integration with the sub seems to be better too.
Mark McIntosh is offline  
post #655 of 1404 Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Member
 
smadadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
After reading all the great reviews from not only this site but other sites too, I finally bought People's choice package, front Mod2 and surround mod1's

I bought new receiver Onkyo Tx-SR606 from Amazon. Using HDMI cables for TV, Satellite receiver to the Onkyo. DVD is connected using component for video and RCA for audio.
I have set the crossover's at 150Hz and +1 DB's for all speakers. My room is about 15 X 13, but is open to breakfast area and kitchen. So overall the room size is 32 X 13. Surrounds are placed at the end of the living room.

so with that setup, when I turned on the system, the sound was okay, I was not completely blown away. The surround sound speakers are very weak. Even other speakers I have to set my volume too high like 40 and subwoofer volume between 1/2 and 3/4th to get some effect. Well with the receiver I spent about 1500, and I am not too happy with the sound experience. I am trying to breakin the speakers, I have been using it for a week. I will use for another week and send it back if it does not improve.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong in the setup.
smadadi is offline  
post #656 of 1404 Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
vhato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Prairieville, La
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The volume setting shouldn't be a concern. Most of my TV watching happens at 42-45. Blu-ray/DVD movies are 32-35. No where near max of the receiver. So don't bother your mind over this.

Assuming you have 9' ceilings, you have a approximately a 1755 cubic foot listening area for the Orbs which is great. Due to the open kitchen, the Super 8 subwoofer though has over 3700 cubic feet to fill. That is a stretch for an 8" woofer and still tough for a 10" depending on how strong you like your bass. If your floors aren't carpeted, the subwoofer has an even tougher time providing bass. In this room, with wood or tile floors, I would expect the sub volume to be at least 3/4 or more, giving that long throw sub a huge workout. The 8" sub is trying to "pressurize" the living room and kitchen and it is probably doing a pretty decent job.

You may want to consider cutting the crossover down to 120hz. The sub may be working real hard to fill your room with bass, drowning out the lower mid frequencies being sent to it.

Can you help us by giving more detail as to why you are not satisfied?
vhato is offline  
post #657 of 1404 Old 12-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Mark McIntosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smadadi View Post

Hi All,
After reading all the great reviews from not only this site but other sites too, I finally bought People's choice package, front Mod2 and surround mod1's

I bought new receiver Onkyo Tx-SR606 from Amazon. Using HDMI cables for TV, Satellite receiver to the Onkyo. DVD is connected using component for video and RCA for audio.
I have set the crossover's at 150Hz and +1 DB's for all speakers. My room is about 15 X 13, but is open to breakfast area and kitchen. So overall the room size is 32 X 13. Surrounds are placed at the end of the living room.

so with that setup, when I turned on the system, the sound was okay, I was not completely blown away. The surround sound speakers are very weak. Even other speakers I have to set my volume too high like 40 and subwoofer volume between 1/2 and 3/4th to get some effect. Well with the receiver I spent about 1500, and I am not too happy with the sound experience. I am trying to breakin the speakers, I have been using it for a week. I will use for another week and send it back if it does not improve.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong in the setup.

I had to go to Mod2's for the rears as well to get satisfactory volume from the surrounds. Even then one of my surrounds that is back in a corner is at +2.5 and the other is at -2.5. You might want to try using an optical cable from the DVD as sometimes the analog ouput can be weak. I have my sub turned up to just over 1/2 in a 3,000 cubic foot room with carpet and drapes. Is the sub setting on the receiver at 0? I'm not too familiar with this receiver, but does it have any type of calibration with it? I agree with the above that 120hz is the recommended crossover. Are speakers set to small and LFE set to sub? I'm not concerned about the volume level either as that is a pretty normal range. When I am watching a DVD and want a theater experience it gets up to around 15-20, still nowhere near the max for the receiver.
Mark McIntosh is offline  
post #658 of 1404 Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
vhato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Prairieville, La
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

I had to go to Mod2's for the rears as well to get satisfactory volume from the surrounds....

Mark,
I am using Mod2's for LCR, but Mod1 for Surround and Surround Back. Is there a noticeable improvement in sound quality from just movies if I upgrade my surround speakers (not surround back) to Mod2?
vhato is offline  
post #659 of 1404 Old 12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Member
 
smadadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Vhato and Mark,
Thanks for your reply. I will try setting the sub back to 120Hz.

But Mark, ORB recommends to stay below +2 DB for the speakers, they say setting more may blow up the speakers. Thats the reason I kept it at +1. I am not satisfied at all with the mod1 surround speakers. But if I had to upgrade to mod2 for the surrounds, I will spend an additional 300-400, putting me in 1900 range. I would rather buy Bose V20, I know Bose is hated all across the board but I liked the demo in Best buy.


Thanks again
smadadi is offline  
post #660 of 1404 Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
vhato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Prairieville, La
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
smadadi,
I run +4db on my surrounds and surround back speakers. I assume they do this so not to overdrive them beyond the reference specifications of ideal home theater. Can't see why that setting is more prone to blowing speakers than you running your receiver volume at 0db. My receiver has self calibration and it recommended that volume anyway.
vhato is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off