Orb Speakers Official Thread - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1405 Old 02-04-2009, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FYI:

Orb sent me a revised Uber 10 and it arrived yesterday. The finish is slightly different, the cover fits more snug and the 10" driver is different.

At typical volumes, the old and new Uber 10 sounded exactly the same as the Super 8. I could watch movies like Iron Man and Transformers with my receiver set to -43db without issue. If I hit -42db the Super 8 would begin to distort out, just sound weird. My original Uber 10 allowed for a 7 to 8 db increase in volume from the receiver (-36db) before I would hear a form of distortion. This new Uber 10 allows a full 17 db (-26db) increase over the Super 8.

Kudos to Orb for WONDERFUL customer service and improvements to their product. I am now wondering if Orb has upgraded the Super 8 for 2009. They may have made BASH amplifier improvements as well, who knows.

I upgraded to the Uber 10 as the Super 8 was impressive, but unable to "pressurize" my living room. At Higher volumes, I could hear what sounded like air from inside the box was pushing against the driver. The Uber 10 for double the price only allowed for an approximate of a 15% increase in volume before the same thing occured, so I figured it was a design flaw...maybe. With the new Uber 10 giving nearly a 40% boost in usable volume I am truely satisfied with the difference in price. I am certain Orb will tell me nothing is different, but the "visual" changes I noted above are infact VERY noticeable.

Thank you Orb!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1405 Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 AM

just ordered Mod2 after reading great reviews here. I will be pairing it with 706 in my family room that is 12*15 but opens to dining area. it also has a fireplace in one corner.

any guidance on the speaker set up and tuning would be much appreciated?
post #723 of 1405 Old 02-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have always found it very useful. Over the last few months I've gone through the house and upgraded my A/V set-up. At the cornerstone of my set-up are orbs. I've been extremely happy with them. I started small and have slowly added to them - I now have 12 orbs in two rooms (living and bedroom). Like most I did drop the extra dollar for mod-2s on the left, right and center... I have mod 1's as the left and right surround... these two I felt I didn't need the extra. These are plugged into a RX-V663. I also replaced my Yamaha woofer with the super-8. I have been very impressed and happy with the decisions and love the sound....

I have also bought another two mod-2s for the bedroom and LOVE the sound...

Value for money, WAF and the good reviews were the reason and I've been happy with the performance and aesthetics.

I'm now in the final phase; the Yamaha RX-663 is a good amplifier but I always planned to put that in the bedroom and go with Emotiva (the UMC-1 and the UPA-7). However I'm now starting to have second thoughts and am wondering if anyone has paired Emotiva with orbs??? I know Emotiva does great amps and processors but am wondering if the power of the UPA-7 is overkill.... I own a UPA-2 and have been happy with it but am starting to worry if I should just stick with what I have... Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!
post #724 of 1405 Old 02-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Steviet, DO IT!!!

I have been droling over the UPA-7 and the upcoming UMC-1. Play some tests with the RX-663 (it has unbalanced outs?) and switch in the UPA-7. I am thinking no discerenable difference, but how cool Emotiva gear looks.

I don't need to upgrade my receiver, but when the UMC-1 is released it will kill me not too.
post #725 of 1405 Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviet1000 View Post

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have always found it very useful. Over the last few months I've gone through the house and upgraded my A/V set-up. At the cornerstone of my set-up are orbs. I've been extremely happy with them. I started small and have slowly added to them - I now have 12 orbs in two rooms (living and bedroom). Like most I did drop the extra dollar for mod-2s on the left, right and center... I have mod 1's as the left and right surround... these two I felt I didn't need the extra. These are plugged into a RX-V663. I also replaced my Yamaha woofer with the super-8. I have been very impressed and happy with the decisions and love the sound....

I have also bought another two mod-2s for the bedroom and LOVE the sound...

Value for money, WAF and the good reviews were the reason and I've been happy with the performance and aesthetics.

I'm now in the final phase; the Yamaha RX-663 is a good amplifier but I always planned to put that in the bedroom and go with Emotiva (the UMC-1 and the UPA-7). However I'm now starting to have second thoughts and am wondering if anyone has paired Emotiva with orbs??? I know Emotiva does great amps and processors but am wondering if the power of the UPA-7 is overkill.... I own a UPA-2 and have been happy with it but am starting to worry if I should just stick with what I have... Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!

Steviet, I have my Mod2's in a 7.1 configuration hooked up to a Pioneer Elite VSX-01TXH AVR and the set-up sounds AWESOME. There are others on this board that are using the same AVR and love the sound they are getting with this set-up as well.
post #726 of 1405 Old 02-23-2009, 11:00 AM

I just bought a new Marantz sr-5003 and the orb mod1s that I have sound so much better than they did on my old jvc receiver, however I am finding the super 8 lacking. My sub distorts badly at medium levels.

I have to have the SUB volume below 1/4 for it to no distort at around -30db on the marantz. I thought it was just the crappy JVC receiver I used to have, but apparently not.

ORB said they would look at it if I shipped it to them and upgrade the amp if it was defective to the 200w BASH, but for a price of about $150. Should I try to fix the sub when I upgrade to mod2s for the front or should I just try to find another brand?

The Audyssey on the Marantz sets it to the max of -18 when i set the sub to the ORB recommended set of half volume. BTW.
post #727 of 1405 Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This doesn't jive with my experience. What I would want to know is what is the source of the distortion, the receiver or the subwoofer. An oscilloscope would tell if it was the receiver. If you look at teh waveform going into the sub and find it clipped, you know to tweak the receiver settings. If you getting a clean inoput signal, it's the subwoofer, either the amp or the driver.

What cross-over frequency do you have set in the receiver? In the subwoofer?

Do you have a subwoofer attenuator on/off?

Do you have the sub in "on" or "auto"?

In the absence of a scope, play with all the settings available to you to try and eliminate the distortion.
post #728 of 1405 Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM

I talked to ORB about this with my old JVC 412B reciever. I know it can't be the Marantz because I am getting the same problem with both receivers. There is no LFE ATT turned on. I have tried the crossover from 120hz all the way up to 180hz and the same result. Would it be possible to have a bad amp in the SW? I have the pre 200w BASH amp in mine.

I distorts like it is being overdriven, especially during lower freq. scenes (beginning of live free or die hard) and any explosions pretty much. what is the gain on your SW set at? Or anyone else for that matter?
post #729 of 1405 Old 02-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

I wrote about the changes Orb made to my Uber 10 and maybe there were improvements made to the Amplifier. All I know is the Uber 10 sounded horrible after a while and got worse. Shipped it back and they sent a new Uber 10 with a slightly different texture, new 10" driver and possibly a new Amp. Now I can crank the receiver a full 17db higher (26db more than the Super 8) than my original Uber 10. Before it sounded heavily distorted.

My recommendation, send the Super 8 back and pay the price.
post #730 of 1405 Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I just sold a laptop today for 1,100 so I will be getting three more orbs for the front to make them mod2s and sending the woofer back. I had to end up turning down the sub to a 1/4 for the marantz to set it at 0db after running the audyssey setup. Thats still rediculous that I have a "nice" sub that can't even be used at anything past 1/4 volume. Its all clean now but the bass seems lacking now. We'll see.

Thanks for the response by the way, i'm hoping the upgrade to mod2s in the front will make a good difference.
post #731 of 1405 Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Wow! Thanks for the response guys.... I have an update to share....

I'm very interested in the Emotiva gear and have hear good things but from people that have some meatier speakers that the orbs. My reluctance is really whether I'm likely to hear any improvement.... As much as I like the look of the Emotiva's looks alone aren't going to cut it...

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the RX-v663 but I do think it's a little too electronic sounding. It's perfect for movies and wii etc but I'm looking for something that I'm not going to need to upgrade for the next 5 years (that's what I keep telling myself) and time after time I keep coming back to the Emotiva.

So.... I've decided to purchase the UPA-2 and hook them up to my mod-2s to get a sense for left and right. I'm going to use my RX-V663 as a pre-proc only and see if I notice a difference. For $269 at the moment I thought it was worth it, I can always use the amp somewhere else But in the mean time if anyone has a UPA-7 hooked up to orbs please tell!!!!
post #732 of 1405 Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 AM

Hey guys,

seriously looking into these orbs as a bedroom 5.1 system. Problem is, I'm still not sure whether a 3" driver can push enough air to make me happy when I crank it in a large room.
post #733 of 1405 Old 02-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotVIBE View Post

Hey guys,

seriously looking into these orbs as a bedroom 5.1 system. Problem is, I'm still not sure whether a 3" driver can push enough air to make me happy when I crank it in a large room.

They can. Even though these little guys can playback some low sounds, I consider 120hz as low as they go. You will be MORE than satisfied as it appears to Orb shape and material forces sound to be reflected from the back, through the speaker making them sound larger than you can imagine.
post #734 of 1405 Old 02-25-2009, 11:19 AM

Has anyone compared the Orb Mod1 or Mod2 to the KEF KHT-3005SE setup? I've been moving towards purchasing the Orbs but then this used KEF setup came along for about the same price. I'd be using it mostly for movies and my room is approximately 10' x 15'. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Adam
post #735 of 1405 Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM

I have decided to get the super 8 that I have repair and have the new BASH 200w amp put in it.

I am upgrading my system to a mod2 at the end of the week and was thinking of getting the mod1 home theater system and adding it to my current setup. That would give me mod2s at 5 channels and 2 super 8s.

Does this sound like a good idea or not? I am just applying the same logic behind the better sound when upgrading the mod1s to the mod2s, same levels with less work on the individual drivers.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #736 of 1405 Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 AM

Ok ORB just told me that instead of getting my one super 8 fixed and buying another one that orb will give me a $150 credit for an Uber 10 upgrade instead of the 2nd super 8.

I also have these subs in mind as replacements:

SVS PB10-NSD
HSU VTF-2 MK3
tSc T300
eD A2-300

The Uber 10 upgrade would still be the most expensive and the prices are decending in the sub list.

Which one would sound the best with the system? The Uber 10 or one the the ones listed above? I have about $500 I just want to make sure I get a seamless blend in the mids and I don't have to worry about distortion on low freqs at a good amount of volume.

Thanks all!!
post #737 of 1405 Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had my Mod2s for a couple of weeks now and they are as good as everyone has said they were.

Have one question for all of you more experienced guys: Have you found any banana plugs anywhere which would make for a "neater" "cleaner" connection?

I've looked around but the only thing I've found that would even be close is flat-pin speaker wire connections at Radio Shack.

If nothing else, I will probably just extend my speaker wire through one orb with 1/4" of bare wire and connect to the other orb with a 1/4" bare at the end.

I'm using 16ga. wire.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim
post #738 of 1405 Old 02-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyelobes View Post

Ok ORB just told me that instead of getting my one super 8 fixed and buying another one that orb will give me a $150 credit for an Uber 10 upgrade instead of the 2nd super 8.

I also have these subs in mind as replacements:

SVS PB10-NSD
HSU VTF-2 MK3
tSc T300
eD A2-300

The Uber 10 upgrade would still be the most expensive and the prices are decending in the sub list.

Which one would sound the best with the system? The Uber 10 or one the the ones listed above? I have about $500 I just want to make sure I get a seamless blend in the mids and I don't have to worry about distortion on low freqs at a good amount of volume.

Thanks all!!

If your room is more than 220 sq ft grab the Uber 10. IMO it maxes out attempting to pressurize 300 sq ft. Keep in mind a subwoofer needs the entire room to create usuable bass, where as the other speakers are directional and are fine pointing at you. The advantage to the Super 8 and Uber 10 is these Subs can effectively reproduce sounds up to 180hz so they easily make up for sounds like human voices that other "better" subwoofers can't. For instance the eD A5-300 which costs the same as the Uber 10 can produce bass as low as 18hz but no more than 100hz. These higher frequencies are important since the Orbs essentially are useless below 120-130hz. Orb Audio designed their subwoofers well to compliment the Orb satellites. You almost have to use one if you use Orb for LCR (Left-Center-Right). I would say the Uber 10 falls off in the 36-38hz range. So if you have more than 300 sq ft to fill with bass, you will need a subwoofer capable of 18-80hz to accompany the Uber 10. The Orb Audio system is also designed so the Sub should be located as close to the TV as possible since it is assisting the Orb Center Channel Satellite with voice. If you place the Orb sub in a spot where you get dramatic bass like the corner of the room, it sounds like the actors voices are coming from the corner and not the TV against the wall.

This is the situation I am in. The revised Uber 10 is fantastic, but I can't see how my system can exist without it and I need a second sub for the low stuff since my room is so large. The eD A5-300/500 is in my future when its re-released.
post #739 of 1405 Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 PM

Yeah my room is 2,300 cubic feet at 12x24. I have been reading up on the svs 12, and it is rated flat from 18hz to 200hz. With a 12' wide room my sub is in the corner but it still only at most 5 feet from the center channel. I have to voice displacement issues right now, so the same location with a bigger sub shouldn't be a problem right? I will still have my original super eight but sounds like a blown speaker at medium volumes during explosions, higher freqs are perfect. if i could just manage the super eight from 50 to 150hz I would be elated.

What are your thoughts on this?
post #740 of 1405 Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Make no mistake that Super 8 has to go. OR you could make a cable that is RCA on both sides and place a bass blocker on the positive wire that cuts frequencies below 80 hz so the damaged BASH amp on the Super 8 doesn't have to work hard and distort out. Place the Super 8 near the TV for voice. Then buy an RCA 2-way splitter and the SVS 12, stick it in the corner and set its internal crossover to 80hz. So 120hz+ go to the Orbs, 120-80hz go to the Super 8 and 80hz or less go the the SVS. This should allow you to keep your Super 8 and upgrade for essentially the same money you gotta spend anyway.
post #741 of 1405 Old 02-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Banana Plugs

I've had my Mod2s for a couple of weeks now and they are as good as everyone has said they were.

Have one question for all of you more experienced guys: Have you found any banana plugs anywhere which would make for a "neater" "cleaner" connection?

I've looked around but the only thing I've found that would even be close is flat-pin speaker wire connections at Radio Shack.

If nothing else, I will probably just extend my speaker wire through one orb with 1/4" of bare wire and connect to the other orb with a 1/4" bare at the end.

I'm using 16ga. wire.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Jim

I followed a suggestion made earlier in this forum by another member. I have white mod2s. I stripped off enough bare wire to go from my wall mount, through one connector and into the other connector. I fed 1/8" white heat shrink tubing on the bare wire from the wall mount to the first connector.

Then after feeding through the first connector I fed on more heat shrink before feeding the end of the bare wire through the second connector. A heat gun shrunk it nicely and it looks very neat.

Also, to make it easier to feed the speaker wire through the small connector openings, I taped the end of the bare wire with a small piece of scotch tape. Be sure to make the wire long enough to go through the last connector and then cut off the excess with the tape on it.

By the way, I love my Orbs.
Max
post #742 of 1405 Old 02-28-2009, 08:22 AM

That's a great idea Vhato!!!

Unfortunately everywhere I have looked everywhere for bass blockers, I can''t find anything lower than 150Hz. I could deal with 100hz but ideally i would like the 80hz.

I will keep looking and just go with the 12 that is rated flat up to 200hz, It is going to be right under my front right speaker anyways, it should be pretty seamless. The super 8 will be located at the same distance on the left side if i decided to go that route.

I could just run both subs at the same XO and let the stereo effect center it as well, just use the bass blocker on the super 8. I would just have to make sure to get the same SPL on both of the subs at high volumes.

I don't know, trial and error is going to be my best bet. Bass blockers are cheap enough, what do i have to loose.
post #743 of 1405 Old 02-28-2009, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Has anyone here used a multiple Orb configuration (mod2 or Mod4) and feel that a Mod1 is better?
post #744 of 1405 Old 03-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Has anyone here used a multiple Orb configuration (mod2 or Mod4) and feel that a Mod1 is better?

Maybe in a close configuration like at a computer. From the couch, the more the better.
post #745 of 1405 Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Thought I'd contribute to this thread rather than ask questions all the time.

In answer to the banana plugs I use monoprice ones, they're excellent, solid product and always a good connection. From what I've read an experienced, they don't add anything to the SQ just make it easier for you... and if you're like me and constantly tweaking and looking to improve things they are good to have.

So my weekend project involved testing out the UPA-2 from Emotiva with my mod-2s. I'm a big fan of Sonos so instead of using the zp100 direct to the orbs I purchase a upa-2 to test things out... I'm thinking of replacing out my yammy rx-v663 with the new emotiva umc-1 when it comes out so wanted to get a look at emotiva. Their entry level 2-channel amp seems a good way to do it for $269. All I can say is WOW... The orbs certainly came alive and were much improved... I now have a spare room orb set-up to match my living room space. If anyone is looking for a good, capable two channel amp to power their orbs for relatively short money the UPA-2 is a great choice and can power 2 x mod-2s (4 ohms) easily....
post #746 of 1405 Old 03-02-2009, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Mod1's might be better if your receiver has an issue with overheating or running hot, but that's all I can think of.
post #747 of 1405 Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 AM

Anyone out there that has run this set-up as part of a 5.1 system? I have the Salk products on the front and center, and a JL Audio sub. I wanted to try and get the single orb for both the left and right rears, given their price (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/smile.gif) and low profile. I would probably like to run them via a remote (RF?) set-up. Most of the music (50% of the time) will run off of the fronts and subs, so the Orbs would only contribute to the HT experience. Anyone running a similar set-up or have an opinion on how it would work/sound? Thanks
post #748 of 1405 Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As of today my mod2 system with a mod4 center and Uber 10 Sub with mod2 7.1 surrounds is on the way. These will be used with a Pioneer SC-07 receiver, Pioneer BDP-09fd bluray player and Pioneer 60 inch 6020fd. The room is part of an L-shaped combination with breakfast area and kitchen, so the configuration is necessarily odd. In the area of the listening area, there is about 320 square feet.

Due to an odd room shape, I will need to put the sub in a corner about 6 feet left and slightly behind the TV. After reading on this thread that there is a directional issue with the sub handling mid range frequencies, I am concerned about being plagued by this problem. I would place the sub up front but the whole reason I started looking at Orbs is that they passed the wife approval test for inconspicuous appearance. Putting the sub up front would not pass the WAT.

So...is it less likely that one would have less of a problem with directionality of speech and other midranges if the crossover is set at 120hz vs the recommended 150hz? That would just seem logical. I was thinking of using a different sub, but most of the better 10-12 inch subs that I have seen are not designed for frequencies above 100-120Hz. I would hate to find a mid-range gap in performance. On the other hand, I don't want to overwork the orbs by demanding the handling of the 120-150hz range since the recommended crossover is 150. Perhaps I am just borrowing trouble here and this is a non-issue having not hooked up my system yet with the speakers and sub.

Also, I have not seen anything on the Orb Audio website about changing the build of the Uber 10 recently. Is this cosmetic or real? Anything at all official on this?
post #749 of 1405 Old 03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

IMO 150hz to the Sub is way to localizable and distracting. I prefer 120hz. Try it and see, but when I moved my sub away from my TV it only sounded correct when I cut the Sub to 80hz.

Reflections in your environment may allow for this. What sounds good today, will probably sound wrong a few months down the road as you get used to the sound and the newness wears off.

I am sure you will get the Uber 10 I have. The surround of the 10" driver is different, and I can crank it louder (probably had a bad BASH amp on my original).

Congrats on your purchase. I have been pondering an upgrade to Mod2 on my SL and SR speakers as well as Mod4 with the Center Channel.
post #750 of 1405 Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Vhato,
I ust received my Mod 2 as described in my previous post. I don't even have the surrounds in yet, but with the mod 4 center, Mod 2 sides and Uber 10, it is amazing already. What a difference after listening to the stock TV speaker for a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page