Orb Speakers Official Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1401 Old 11-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No not yet. As soon as my wife leaves I can do it. Don't really feel like hearing mindless whining from sub volumes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1401 Old 11-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Anyone has done the test yet??

It would be really appreciated if some people could confirm if it is indeed a design flaw.

Here is again the audio file link:Click here It's in FLAC so make sure you have proper codec.

Again We are looking for abnormal driver chuff at the begining of the audio file. When it's really a low frequency.

Thanks for your help guys.
post #903 of 1401 Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Do you know if the PS3 or 360 can play this back?
post #904 of 1401 Old 11-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhato View Post

Do you know if the PS3 or 360 can play this back?

try this link instead, this one is an MP3 version of the same file:
click here
post #905 of 1401 Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[quote=birz;17503869]Anyone has done the test yet??

QUOTE]

Birz, as I said in my PM, I'll be doing some testing on Thursday AM. The site with the flac file has some other files as well and I'll try them to see if I can get a consistent problem. If I can consistently get a specific frequency (rather than a transient group of frequencies such as in a movie track) to produce the problem I'll also try to characterize the db level at which it seems to appear.
post #906 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Birz, Vhato

I spent some time this morning testing for the "port chuff" effect and had some very reproducable results. I've attached several files:

Port Test.doc - description of the testing and subjective results
Pic1.jpg - pic of how I set the SW for testing
Pic2.jpg - pic of SW with port taped over

The file

(Tones.zip - all of the discreet frequency WAV files I used for the test)

is too large to send as an attachment. I'll send you a PM with my email address and if you email me, I'll reply with this file.

I intend to try to get a spectrum analyzer to see if I can plot frequency response curves of the port emissions, but haven't the time this morning to do this.

Let me know what you find.
LL
LL

Port Test.doc 28.5k . file
post #907 of 1401 Old 11-12-2009, 12:52 PM

Thanks for this effort davelr,

I will have time this weekend to test out. I have written you an email to your address. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,
post #908 of 1401 Old 11-26-2009, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 27
There is a new product on orb's website. It is a small amplifier for computer/iPod applications. You can connect a pair of Mod1's or Mod2's and a sub. If anyone picks this up, let us know how it is.
post #909 of 1401 Old 11-26-2009, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

Birz, Vhato

I spent some time this morning testing for the "port chuff" effect and had some very reproducable results. I've attached several files:

Port Test.doc - description of the testing and subjective results
Pic1.jpg - pic of how I set the SW for testing
Pic2.jpg - pic of SW with port taped over

The file

(Tones.zip - all of the discreet frequency WAV files I used for the test)

is too large to send as an attachment. I'll send you a PM with my email address and if you email me, I'll reply with this file.

I intend to try to get a spectrum analyzer to see if I can plot frequency response curves of the port emissions, but haven't the time this morning to do this.

Let me know what you find.

Outstanding work!!!!!!!!
Now that you have established appears to be a very convincing and effective test. I will definitely try.
post #910 of 1401 Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi All,

I have a G9 Pioneer Plasma that allows for direct connection of external speakers & has a built in 18 watt + 18 watt amplifier @ 6 Ohms. I want to be able to connect a set of very small & discreet full range speakers to the TV instead of the bigger Pioneer (or other mainstream) ones and the Orbs seem ideal.

Orb suggests on the website that the Mod 1's can be used quite satisfactorily as TV speakers on their own (without a subwoofer) & I would like to ask if anyone has any experience of what the spheres sound like on their own. Being so small, I just get the feeling that they will only produce mainly just treble with limited mid range & I cannot see how they can produce any bass at all given their size & driver!

Having said that, it does seem that there are folks that may be using just the spheres themselves as main speakers as Orb market them for TV speakers as well so I guess I thought I would try & get some real user opinions! I know it is a very expensive way to do things but I can find no other speakers that are as small & unobtrusive than the Orbs & that would be easy to integrate into other furniture to make as as to make them as invisible as possible.

If anyone is using just the spheres only as main speakers, ideally connected to a TV, I would really welcome any views/comments on the sound quality and how well you rate it. I am overseas so it will be very costly for me given the international shipping charges and all the taxes & duties I will have to pay so I am at your expertees & mercy!

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!
post #911 of 1401 Old 11-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi All,

I have a G9 Pioneer Plasma that allows for direct connection of external speakers & has a built in 18 watt + 18 watt amplifier @ 6 Ohms. I want to be able to connect a set of very small & discreet full range speakers to the TV instead of the bigger Pioneer (or other mainstream) ones and the Orbs seem ideal.

Orb suggests on the website that the Mod 1's can be used quite satisfactorily as TV speakers on their own (without a subwoofer) & I would like to ask if anyone has any experience of what the spheres sound like on their own. Being so small, I just get the feeling that they will only produce mainly just treble with limited mid range & I cannot see how they can produce any bass at all given their size & driver!

Having said that, it does seem that there are folks that may be using just the spheres themselves as main speakers as Orb market them for TV speakers as well so I guess I thought I would try & get some real user opinions! I know it is a very expensive way to do things but I can find no other speakers that are as small & unobtrusive than the Orbs & that would be easy to integrate into other furniture to make as as to make them as invisible as possible.

If anyone is using just the spheres only as main speakers, ideally connected to a TV, I would really welcome any views/comments on the sound quality and how well you rate it. I am overseas so it will be very costly for me given the international shipping charges and all the taxes & duties I will have to pay so I am at your expertees & mercy!

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=73

This might be your ticket. It would allow you to try a set of Mod1 speakers with enough juice to run them nicely. You would also have the option to updgrade to a Mod2 and/or add a subwoofer. Now, I know you probably don't want to waste the option your tv offers, but I think this would be a safer and higher performing option.
post #912 of 1401 Old 11-28-2009, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?Pa...PROD&ProdID=73

This might be your ticket. It would allow you to try a set of Mod1 speakers with enough juice to run them nicely. You would also have the option to updgrade to a Mod2 and/or add a subwoofer. Now, I know you probably don't want to waste the option your tv offers, but I think this would be a safer and higher performing option.

Hi,

Thanks for the input! I did indeed see that page which sparked my interest with the Orb Spheres as stand alone TV speakers. Do you think the two single Mod 1's by themselves & without a subwoofer (as shown) will give a reasonable full enough sound for TV use? (I have a 50" G9 Pioneer Plasma and plan on placing each Mod 1 on either side of the screen). In your opinion, do you think there will be more than enough bass & midrange or will it just sound all very thin & trebly?

Thanks,

Bazzy!
post #913 of 1401 Old 11-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks for the input! I did indeed see that page which sparked my interest with the Orb Spheres as stand alone TV speakers. Do you think the two single Mod 1's by themselves & without a subwoofer (as shown) will give a reasonable full enough sound for TV use? (I have a 50" G9 Pioneer Plasma and plan on placing each Mod 1 on either side of the screen). In your opinion, do you think there will be more than enough bass & midrange or will it just sound all very thin & trebly?

Thanks,

Bazzy!

"more than enough bass & mid-range" is very subjective. It will likely offer better sound than the speakers built into your TV, but I think you'd be happier if you were to add a sub...

Think about the speakers built into TVs, they are likely no bigger than the orb speakers, and they don't have the solid metal spherical enclosure to help reinforce their sound.

YMMV

So much media, so little time...

post #914 of 1401 Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

"more than enough bass & mid-range" is very subjective. It will likely offer better sound than the speakers built into your TV, but I think you'd be happier if you were to add a sub...

Think about the speakers built into TVs, they are likely no bigger than the orb speakers, and they don't have the solid metal spherical enclosure to help reinforce their sound.

YMMV

I agree; your sound will be greatly improved. However, if you are expecting to get deep lows from just the orbs themselves, that won't happen. The orbs are constructed with polypropylene cones in solid steel cylindrical spheres. This will give better bass support than your tv speakers. You will really notice improvements in sound detail, especially the highs. If you are not happy with it, orb does offer a pretty good return policy. Also, I believe you could connect any powered subwoofer to that amp. I know yamaha has some very slim and small subwoofers if you are concerned about space. By the way, don't forget that the orbs take several hours of listening to get to their peak performance. It is a huge difference. I was actually kind of disappointed with my MOD2 set-up when I got it. After about a week of listening, it was like a new system.
post #915 of 1401 Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks,

Bazzy!

I say this as an owner of the Orbs, I would not run Orb speakers without a sub...period.

If you have to go without a sub for awhile you might think about a small bookshelf type speaker instead. Orbs without a sub are extremely thin sounding and that's putting it mildly.

Russ
post #916 of 1401 Old 11-29-2009, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

I say this as an owner of the Orbs, I would not run Orb speakers without a sub...period.

I do!!

I recently pulled my sub and are enjoying the little Orbs by themselves. Of course, they are Mod4s and are on wall (with MCACC in use because without it...), which reinforces the bass quite a bit. Depending on how the discs are mastered, some music does sound better (not yearning for the sub) than others (kinda yearning for the sub - but acceptable).

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #917 of 1401 Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 AM

I was wondering, with the higher crossover used for the orbs, is it better to have the sub up front, close to the l/c/r? Will sounds that should have been produced in the fronts be redirected to the sub?

Thanks
post #918 of 1401 Old 12-09-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post

I was wondering, with the higher crossover used for the orbs, is it better to have the sub up front, close to the l/c/r? Will sounds that should have been produced in the fronts be redirected to the sub?

Thanks

I'm not sure what others do, but I believe it's a lot safer to have the sub up front. I haven't ever tried it somewhere else in the room, but with the somewhat higher frequency content that the sub might see, it might be too easy to localize if placed off to the side under a table or the like. I've been quite happy with it up front under the TV.
post #919 of 1401 Old 12-27-2009, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi All,

Regarding mounting Orb speakers partly in the ceiling & being able to adjust to the required angle (as in the Anthony Gallo Ceiling Mounts) - do any here have experience of or feel that using recessed ceiling light ring fixtures could be used instead with a little modification if need be? it would just allow a much cleaner look & be more aesthetically appealing imo! I have attached a pic of the kind of ceiling light I mean - hopefully you will see what I mean!!

I noticed that for many, many years, the Orbs have pretty much stayed the same - no upgraded materials with the times, no MKII or MKIII improved versions & no range of increasingly better models as with Gallo - why would this be may I ask - I am just very curious as to why especially when most other speaker brands always tweak or improve theirs most every year or so!

Finally, is there a reason there is no "Mod 3" system - it seems strange again considering there is a Mod 4 is it not?

Bazzy!
LL
post #920 of 1401 Old 12-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi All,

Regarding mounting Orb speakers partly in the ceiling & being able to adjust to the required angle (as in the Anthony Gallo Ceiling Mounts) - do any here have experience of or feel that using recessed ceiling light ring fixtures could be used instead with a little modification if need be? it would just allow a much cleaner look & be more aesthetically appealing imo! I have attached a pic of the kind of ceiling light I mean - hopefully you will see what I mean!!

I noticed that for many, many years, the Orbs have pretty much stayed the same - no upgraded materials with the times, no MKII or MKIII improved versions & no range of increasingly better models as with Gallo - why would this be may I ask - I am just very curious as to why especially when most other speaker brands always tweak or improve theirs most every year or so!

Finally, is there a reason there is no "Mod 3" system - it seems strange again considering there is a Mod 4 is it not?

Bazzy!

I think that the Gallo Micro ceiling mount may work. Aren't the Micros and the Orbs the same size?

Regarding the lack of new and improved Orb speakers. I don't think that Orb is after the "High-End", "New Improved Version" buyer. I think they feel they have a good product for a decent price, and they're not interested in making a better version and raising the price. Isn't that what usually happens with "New and Improved" versions?

I guess they feel that Single, Mod2, and Mod4, are enough price/value-points, and that selling a Mod3 isn't necessary.

So much media, so little time...

post #921 of 1401 Old 12-27-2009, 01:16 PM

Liked: 14
Bazzy, I'm looking at purchasing a quick pack of the mod 1's for surrounds mounted on a wall. I looked at the picture and really like this idea. It looks very custom and low profile enough that I won't have to worry about people bumping into it when they walk by it. I don't know how it would work out on a vertical surface though. Let us know what you wind up doing. Very interesting stuff!

Ben
post #922 of 1401 Old 12-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

birz,

Welcome to the Orb Club.

I inherited a digital camera so I could finally take a half-way decent picture of my L&R Mod4s.

Dude, two words, FIRE HAZARD

Dont argue with fools. people from a distance cant tell who is who.
post #923 of 1401 Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

birz,

Welcome to the Orb Club.

I inherited a digital camera so I could finally take a half-way decent picture of my L&R Mod4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggstuu View Post

Dude, two words, FIRE HAZARD

I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.
Since, I have my electronics on the ground, there are a lot of cords (cable, power, etc) showing.
Plus, a bunch of my passive power conditioning equipment (wall warts) and Quantum Symphony units.
I've removed my PS Audio Quintet and replaced it with an APC H10 unit and cleaned things up a bit.
LL
LL

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #924 of 1401 Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to report that, while watching a movie the other night, I accidently hit the stereo mode on my AVR and went from listening to the dialog in my Center Channel Def Tech Mythos 10 to my L&R Orb Mod4's.
I didn't realize how much clearer the dialog was with the Orbs.
My goal was to replace the Orbs with the Mythos 10 but now, I'm not so sure.
More testing will be done to confirm.
The purity of the midrange with the Orbs is surprising over the Mythos 10 because I really like the 10.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #925 of 1401 Old 01-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

I think that the Gallo Micro ceiling mount may work. Aren't the Micros and the Orbs the same size?

Regarding the lack of new and improved Orb speakers. I don't think that Orb is after the "High-End", "New Improved Version" buyer. I think they feel they have a good product for a decent price, and they're not interested in making a better version and raising the price. Isn't that what usually happens with "New and Improved" versions?

I guess they feel that Single, Mod2, and Mod4, are enough price/value-points, and that selling a Mod3 isn't necessary.

Regarding a Mod 3, depending upon how you wired it, this would result in either a 24 ohm speaker (3 in series), a 1.3 ohm speaker (3 in parallel) a 5.3 ohm speaker (2 in series wired in parallel with a single speaker). All of these are rather strange. That's why there's no Mod 3.
post #926 of 1401 Old 01-16-2010, 12:18 PM

I'm building a 5.1 system and looking at the People's Choice. It's going in a 3000 cf great room that's partially open to an entry and kitchen (total area is about 4500 cf). Couple of questions:

1. Use is mostly movies, moderate volume (don't need to rattle the windows). Do you think the Uber 10 sub would suffice? Have you paired the Orbs with other subs? If so, which would you recommend? The one restriction I have is size; can't be over 15x15x15.

2. Looking at running the system with a Denon AVR-590 or 1610. Do you think 75w/ch is enough to drive the Orbs? Or should I look at something with more power (Denon 1910 with 90w/ch)? Which AVRs do others use with the Orbs?

Thanks for your input.
post #927 of 1401 Old 01-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

My needs were exactly like yours.

The issue at hand mainly is movies. With 3000-4500 cf to "pressurize" with the sub woofer, the Super 8 will do a decent job, the Uber 10 will do a good job. Non carpeted floors dont help either.

Orb actually recommended for my room, to pair the Uber 10 with a 15" sub woofer to handle everything from 40hz on down. I am planning for asthetic reasons to add a second Uber 10 instead. Plenty of movies drive the low end of bass and trying to experience that in a large room like yours requires plenty of volume. Movies like Batman The Dark Night and Ironman will really bring out your systems weaknesses in the low frequencies if your sub woofer can't fill the room.

Saying that, the Uber 10 sounds EXACTLY like the Super 8. It just allows more volume. Buying it now will save you the hastle of returning the Super 8 after 3 weeks when you realize it wasn't as perfect as you thought the night you hooked it up.

For question number two, A 75wpc receiver is absolutely fine for the Peoples Choice. Going to a 90wpc amplifier will yield no audible differences. Since your not driving a large speaker with the receiver, you don't need the additional power.

The Peoples Choice plus Uber 10 for your room will provide a GREAT starting point giving you EXACTLY the sound you want for the money you plan to spend. After a year, you'll be thinking of a Mod4 center channel and maybe Mod2 Surrounds. At about 3 years you'll be contemplating a second Uber 10 and planning Mod4 L/R speakers pumped by a new receiver with all the latest Audessy features.

The Orbs are great.
post #928 of 1401 Old 01-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if my orbs would benifit from going to a receiver with the HD audio feature sets. My current receiver is a H/K 635...that is doing alright still, but hey..if it could be better, then why not .
post #929 of 1401 Old 01-18-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainers View Post

Hello,

I was wondering if my orbs would benifit from going to a receiver with the HD audio feature sets. My current receiver is a H/K 635...that is doing alright still, but hey..if it could be better, then why not .

You just answered your own question then.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #930 of 1401 Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:

You just answered your own question then.

True... Ignorance is bliss.... but curiousity killed the cat :P

So while I am happy...I still wonder everyday...would I be happier!!!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page