post #1051 of 1401 Old 12-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocols View Post

It was extremely hard to go back to a mod1/mod2 set up. The only reason I am keeping it the way it is , is because I can't find one stupid cozy bracket to mount the speakers on a mod 4 configuration..lol...

I think the people's choice only came with three of the cozy brackets, but Orb sells them for $3.50.

I also have a People's Choice and was wondering if those of you who have tried comparing Mod 2 against Mod 4 could try to describe a little more fully what you think the differences are? I know that there have been some posts stating that they sound better, but the descriptions have been sort of brief.

I'm mainly curious as disassembling my current setup to do a demo would be pretty difficult. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1401 Old 12-05-2010, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

I think the people's choice only came with three of the cozy brackets, but Orb sells them for $3.50.

I also have a People's Choice and was wondering if those of you who have tried comparing Mod 2 against Mod 4 could try to describe a little more fully what you think the differences are? I know that there have been some posts stating that they sound better, but the descriptions have been sort of brief.

I'm mainly curious as disassembling my current setup to do a demo would be pretty difficult. Thanks.

Apparently, you haven't read the entire Thread.
In detail, I described what the differences are.
Perform a search of the Thread using the keyword Mod4.
Or, you can go advance and type in Mod4 along with my username Perpendicular.

Quote:

It was extremely hard to go back to a mod1/mod2 set up. The only reason I am keeping it the way it is , is because I can't find one stupid cozy bracket to mount the speakers on a mod 4 configuration..lol...

I had mine set up on wall with two mounts and one cozy bracket between them.
For the center channel, I had four mounts.
Are yours on wall or stands?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1053 of 1401 Old 12-06-2010, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have them on the wall with an aftermarket wall bracket.
LL
post #1054 of 1401 Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I purchased the brackets before I just lost one. I am not a audiophile but the difference I notice with the mod 4 was huge. I think it blended better with the subwoofer and it sounded like a whole different speaker.
post #1055 of 1401 Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I purchased the brackets before I just lost one. I am not a audiophile but the difference I notice with the mod 4 was huge. I think it blended better with the subwoofer and it sounded like a whole different speaker.

Thanks for the feedback.
post #1056 of 1401 Old 12-07-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback.

You welcome
post #1057 of 1401 Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

Was curious how your experience with repairs by Orb went. Is there anything to report yet?

Thanks for asking. Nothing yet, I have them boxed up and will be shipping out in the very near future. I will plan on reporting back how it goes as soon as I understand how ORB will handle it.

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Samsung Blue-ray BD-P3600

Logitech Harmony Smart Control

Panamax M5100-PM

post #1058 of 1401 Old 12-18-2010, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi All,

This might be of interest to some - the driver on one (OK, two!) of my Orb Satellites sort of just came apart from the actual sphere ball - it seems the speaker driver is moulded together with the speaker mesh so they are all one unit. It looks like the glue they used on the edge of the speaker grill to seal with the Orb has just given way so it is no problem to simply re-glue it thankfully!

I was kind of surprised at how small the driver actually is and what little there is inside the Orb Satellite - there really is very, very little - just some filling material & a couple of speaker wires connecting the driver to the speaker terminals on the Orb & that's it! I was expecting the driver to have fancy markings to it or be really heavy but it is very plain looking & quite light - it looks like something that could probably be made quite cheaply tbh!

No wonder Orb would not just simply send me replacement drivers for two of my speaker mesh's that have got dents on them - maybe they might think people would be disappointed or complain that there was very little inside the Orb for their money!!

Bazzy!

-

Hey Bazzy,

My roommate recently knocked over my mod2 stand. The grill came loose on one speaker. Right now, I am waiting to hear back from orb for repair options. However, I was wondering how you re-sealed your orbs. What type of glue did you use? If the speaker isn't sealed properly, would it affect the sound quality? I am debating whether I should try to fix the speaker myself. Thanks
post #1059 of 1401 Old 12-18-2010, 06:10 PM

I had that problem before and I called orb audio and they told me it was ok just to glue it back together. They told me the only diference is that they use a comercial grade adhesive. I used crazy glue and after 2 and a half years is still sounds good!!
post #1060 of 1401 Old 12-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmanyon View Post

Hey Bazzy,

My roommate recently knocked over my mod2 stand. The grill came loose on one speaker. Right now, I am waiting to hear back from orb for repair options. However, I was wondering how you re-sealed your orbs. What type of glue did you use? If the speaker isn't sealed properly, would it affect the sound quality? I am debating whether I should try to fix the speaker myself. Thanks

I had that problem before and I called orb audio and they told me it was ok just to glue it back together. They told me the only diference is that they use a comercial grade adhesive. I used crazy glue and after 2 and a half years is still sounds good!!
post #1061 of 1401 Old 01-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Liked: 14
Hi all, I just purchased the peoples choice package and will be installing the surrounds on the ceiling.

My question is: I have a gabled ceiling so one speaker will be maybe 2-3' higher than the other. Will this be a poor set up?

I'm already faced with pointing them downward toward the viewing area and I understand they should be pointing at each other about 3 feet overhead. I feel like I'm already pushing the boundaries here and could use some educated advice.
Thanks to all.
post #1062 of 1401 Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
A good receiver will have a calibration system allowing for distance and volume, but man I dunno!

I have been in PLENTY of homes with 5.1 and the placement of speakers for aesthetic reason significantly diminished results to a point it was useless.

I dunno man. Cant hurt to try.
post #1063 of 1401 Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

I recently discovered what the inside of these speakers look like too. I had my orb's down from the ceiling mount (as surround speakers) this weekend cause we were doing some work. Unfortunately, one of our friend's kids found them and thought they were a ball. The magnet has separated from the back of the speaker. Do you guys think this is a simple repair of just re-attaching it?
post #1064 of 1401 Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

As you may recall, my son abused my Orbs and blew them sky high. Shipped out the Orbs last week and received an email back from Todd today confirming that all four drivers were toast. The damage to repair will be $45.00 per driver for a total cost of $180.00.

This is quite a price break as the fee usually associated with Orb replacing the drivers would be $120 per driver or $480.00 total cost.

I would like to thank Todd and the folks at Orb for being customer focused and willing to partner with their customers to help in circumstances such as mine.

Way to go Orb and a big thank you!

Paul

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Panamax M5100-PM

post #1065 of 1401 Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWH1 View Post

As you may recall, my son abused my Orbs and blew them sky high. Shipped out the Orbs last week and received an email back from Todd today confirming that all four drivers were toast. The damage to repair will be $45.00 per driver for a total cost of $180.00.

This is quite a price break as the fee usually associated with Orb replacing the drivers would be $120 per driver or $480.00 total cost.

I would like to thank Todd and the folks at Orb for being customer focused and willing to partner with their customers to help in circumstances such as mine.

Way to go Orb and a big thank you!

Paul

Thanks for letting us know how it went and glad you're back in business. Always wondered, though, just how loud it was when they went south?
post #1066 of 1401 Old 01-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Well all I can say is that when I went to power on my amp that evening, I always have the volume set to 60 (basically off) However, I noticed that the volume was maxed out at 0. I immediately felt this gut reaction of 'Oh No....' And we know the rest of the story. I assume they blew some where in between the 20 and 0 range.

My neighbors told me they could hear music and the bass inside their homes... So I am sure it was ear shatteringly loud.

The wife and I listed to them last night for about 3 hours sharing a few bottles of vino. Sure was nice to have them back and being able to enjoy the quality sound they produce.

My son's savings account is $180 lighter and I hope he learned his lesson......

Denon AVR X1000

Klipsch RF-62 II 

Klipsch RC-62 II

Klipsch RB-61 II

SVS PB-2000

SVS PB-1000

LG 47LE5400

Panamax M5100-PM

post #1067 of 1401 Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 PM

I'm having issues.... My uber 10 is rattling when the sub volume is at 65%.... Is this supposed 2 happen or is there something wrong here

"They Use Kuro's in Apple TV Ads!"
post #1068 of 1401 Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayb2006 View Post

I'm having issues.... My uber 10 is rattling when the sub volume is at 65%.... Is this supposed 2 happen or is there something wrong here

Back in this thread around post 900 or so there's a discussion a few of us had about a phenomenon we were calling "port chuff". I believe one of the guys was using an Uber 10 as well, I have a Super 8.

At any rate, what we are experiencing is a fairly rough distortion (grating) as the frequency to the sub falls below a certain level. On my Super 8 this seems to be worst in the middle 30's hz range.

This isn't a problem with music, but can be with movie effects. It's pretty distracting.

I had intended to get with Orb about it, but with one thing or another haven't gotten around to it. May try in the future.

On the theory that this was mainly distortion due to the air being pushed out the reflex port (that's what it sounds like at lower testing volumes) I did try completely sealing the port with a plumbing pressure testing plug. To my surprise, it actually seemed to be worse. With the port plugged the noise seemed to come from the driver area but was hard to tell. At the time I didn't test to see if with the port plugged there was any leakage around the driver itself.
post #1069 of 1401 Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
No offense intended to anyone, but most of these little boxes, with 6", 8", or even 10" drivers in them, are not "Sub-Woofers". They are woofers in a separate enclosure. Asking them to recreate the LFE channel of a movie soundtrack, or concert-level bass-guitar and kick-drum, just isn't realistic. Those little separate woofer boxes should likely have signals below 30Hz filtered away from them, and sent to a more robust "Sub-Woofer" capable of handling what you folks are looking for.

So much media, so little time...

post #1070 of 1401 Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

No offense intended to anyone, but most of these little boxes, with 6", 8", or even 10" drivers in them, are not "Sub-Woofers". They are woofers in a separate enclosure. Asking them to recreate the LFE channel of a movie soundtrack, or concert-level bass-guitar and kick-drum, just isn't realistic. Those little separate woofer boxes should likely have signals below 30Hz filtered away from them, and sent to a more robust "Sub-Woofer" capable of handling what you folks are looking for.

Hi Barryecohen,

There are some exceptions - Companies like Sunfire, Velodyne, Paradigm, & even SVS now have been offering truly excellent subs with 10" drivers. I have a REL Q200E & while it is an older model with only a 10" driver, it performs extremely well for it's size & can out perform many larger subs at the comparable prices. I do agree with your general viewpoint though but I do also beleive the level & application of engineering, knowledge of acoustics, quality of materials & the price point the products are made to also play a larger role.

Bazzy!
post #1071 of 1401 Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi Barryecohen,

There are some exceptions - Companies like Sunfire, Velodyne, Paradigm, & even SVS now have been offering truly excellent subs with 10" drivers. I have a REL Q200E & while it is an older model with only a 10" driver, it performs extremely well for it's size & can out perform many larger subs at the comparable prices. I do agree with your general viewpoint though but I do also beleive the level & application of engineering, knowledge of acoustics, quality of materials & the price point the products are made to also play a larger role.

Bazzy!

Understood Bazzy, that's why I was sure to use the term 'most' and not 'all' in my post

So much media, so little time...

post #1072 of 1401 Old 02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryecohen View Post

Understood Bazzy, that's why I was sure to use the term 'most' and not 'all' in my post

Hi,

Apologies my friend!

Bazzy!
post #1073 of 1401 Old 02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 348
I'm fairly new to the "Orb world", but I did post a review of the Classic Two system I purchased recently. For anyone who might be interested in reading it you can click this link.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #1074 of 1401 Old 02-22-2011, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'm fairly new to the "Orb world", but I did post a review of the Classic Two system I purchased recently. For anyone who might be interested in reading it you can click this link.

A very good review!
If only Orb would produce a new model that would come down to at least 120hz, that "Hole" you mentioned would be reduced.
Right now, the current Orbs only cover down to 170hz and it takes a sub with a higher crossover frequency to try and fill that void.
When I had my satellites, I refused to use their so-called subwoofer and instead used my Sunfire.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1075 of 1401 Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

A very good review!
If only Orb would produce a new model that would come down to at least 120hz, that "Hole" you mentioned would be reduced.
Right now, the current Orbs only cover down to 170hz and it takes a sub with a higher crossover frequency to try and fill that void.
When I had my satellites, I refused to use their so-called subwoofer and instead used my Sunfire.

170hz??
post #1076 of 1401 Old 02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

170hz??

How much lower were you expecting a 3 inch sealed satellite to perform?
There isn't much energy below that frequency.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #1077 of 1401 Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

A very good review!

Thanks. It was my first attempt at reviewing something.

I hadn't read any of the posts in the Orb thread before I wrote that -- didn't even know it existed, to be honest -- but after having read maybe the first 30 pages I see a number of my sentiments echoed by others. Makes me think that perhaps I'm not crazy after all!

post #1078 of 1401 Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM

Hi Guys, new to the forum so firstly Hi .

I am currently looking at purchasing some Orb Audio MOD2 HT Quick Pack, I am not sure whether to go for Polished Black or Polished Steel so was hoping that some forum members with these finishes could give me a better idea of what they think.

JimWilson, I found your review very helpful and thought you painted a good picture as to the finished products good and bad points, so well done.

I will be importing these items into Australia so am very conscious as to the shipping side of things, which leads me to my next question, Stands what do you guys use? I was thinking of going for the Toss stands but they push the shipping rate up by quite a margin and can get Gallo stands locally for the same price.

Thanks for your time guys look forward to hearing your comments.

BB
post #1079 of 1401 Old 02-27-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks bulldog. I'm glad I was able to help.

Color is a very subjective thing, so I'm not sure if any of us can really help you decide. It's all about your room decor and personal preference, so I would suggest you go for whatever works best for you (or your wife, if that's part of the issue ).

I opted for the BOSS Horizontal stands myself, but that's only because I was building a 2.1 system and they were going to be placed directly on the TV stand. The TOSS stands are not as unreasonably priced as the HOSS stands are, but they're still a bit too expensive for my tastes.

The screws holes on the back of the speakers are 1/4", which the Gallo's use as well. Depending upon how much import duty is required on the stands you might consider looking local. Could end up saving you some money.

post #1080 of 1401 Old 02-27-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks Jim,

Maybe I should have said, how do you rate these two finishes, I have seen a great deal of Polished Steel Finishes and some dont look to good. Just wondering if they are worth the extra cash.

Cheers
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page