post #91 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstand View Post

So, how would you rate the clarity of dialogue for TV & DVD's?

I have had my ORB speakers for about two weeks. The center channel from ORB replaced a fairly imposing center channel from Cambridge Soundworks. I am more than happy with the dialogue from the ORB's. The sound is crisp and clear. As with any speaker system make sure you have the right balance between the center and fronts to be certain the fronts don't overpower the center. Give the ORB's a try. I have the mod2 system and am knocked over with the quality of the sound. Given the 30 day trial you can't go wrong. Mine won't be going back!!

rstand

This is exactly the feedback I was looking for.

I was in contact with Ethan at Orb several times last night, he also confirmed the clarity issue should be a go.

I also asked about the clarity at low volumes, have you found that to be acceptable as well?

I left an email for my wife with pics and a review or 2 to check out when she wakes up. I am hoping for a big thumbs up.

Of course then it will be time to move on to receiver obsession.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

You get a 30 day in home trial, just get them. Do a search in this forum for Orb. There must be 500 posts in the last 6 months on these things. Everything your asking you will find there.

Russ
post #93 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

You get a 30 day in home trial, just get them. Do a search in this forum for Orb. There must be 500 posts in the last 6 months on these things. Everything your asking you will find there.

I have done all the reading.

I just wanted to get a first hand account of the clarity/dialogue issue.

I appreciate the comments.
post #94 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tase2,

I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but the center channel is THE issue that I am trying to resolve right now, and I am not pleased with the Mod2 side-by-side center speaker. I have the Mod2's front L&R mounted vertically, and the center Mod2 on their stainless stand that mounts horizontally, and Mod2's side surrounds, Mod1's rear surrounds for the 7.1 system. I like everything except the center...it sounds a little thin to me, a little boxy. I thought that it might have something to do with the cabinet resonance and so I lined that section with acoustic foam, and then I thought that it might be a dispersion issue with the horizontal configuration, and so I mounted them vertically, but I think that the truth is that the center channel needs a little more extension into the mid-base frequencies. My next step is to try something like the RBH MC-414C in that spot to see if that fixes my problem. Notice, I am saying "My" problem because not everyone hears the same thing that I do. My son hears it and agrees with me that something is lacking, and he is encouraging the next step as well. If you are comparing against TV speakers, depending on the set of course, the Orbs will be a hands-down winner. But I have the JVC-56FH97, and I have been using the TV as the center channel in our set-up instead of the Mod2, and it gives me a little more of what I am looking for. I know... that sounds very unlikely, but the TV speakers have a fuller sound than the Mod2...not as crisp, but more rounded.

Having the Mod2 system for four or five months now has been a real kick in the head...they put out way more sound than you think they will. As with anything, though, when you live with it for a while you begin to criticise it and find little flaws, and it makes you want to fine-tune and perfect it...I really think that this center channel issue is the only thing that I want to change about the Orbs, and I don't have a definitive answer yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to try something that looks promising, just to replace the CC for a little more bass extension, and that will tell me where I need to go from here. Sorry for the ramble, but I thought that you might want to hear my experiences as well. Good luck with your system!
post #95 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

Tase2,

I hate to be the lone dissenter here, but the center channel is THE issue that I am trying to resolve right now, and I am not pleased with the Mod2 side-by-side center speaker. I have the Mod2's front L&R mounted vertically, and the center Mod2 on their stainless stand that mounts horizontally, and Mod2's side surrounds, Mod1's rear surrounds for the 7.1 system. I like everything except the center...it sounds a little thin to me, a little boxy. I thought that it might have something to do with the cabinet resonance and so I lined that section with acoustic foam, and then I thought that it might be a dispersion issue with the horizontal configuration, and so I mounted them vertically, but I think that the truth is that the center channel needs a little more extension into the mid-base frequencies. My next step is to try something like the RBH MC-414C in that spot to see if that fixes my problem. Notice, I am saying "My" problem because not everyone hears the same thing that I do. My son hears it and agrees with me that something is lacking, and he is encouraging the next step as well. If you are comparing against TV speakers, depending on the set of course, the Orbs will be a hands-down winner. But I have the JVC-56FH97, and I have been using the TV as the center channel in our set-up instead of the Mod2, and it gives me a little more of what I am looking for. I know... that sounds very unlikely, but the TV speakers have a fuller sound than the Mod2...not as crisp, but more rounded.

Having the Mod2 system for four or five months now has been a real kick in the head...they put out way more sound than you think they will. As with anything, though, when you live with it for a while you begin to criticise it and find little flaws, and it makes you want to fine-tune and perfect it...I really think that this center channel issue is the only thing that I want to change about the Orbs, and I don't have a definitive answer yet. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to try something that looks promising, just to replace the CC for a little more bass extension, and that will tell me where I need to go from here. Sorry for the ramble, but I thought that you might want to hear my experiences as well. Good luck with your system!

I certainly want to hear all sides of the story. Sorry you are having CC trouble.
I am still waiting for WAF Yea or Nay!
post #96 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 AM

Thinking about the ORB's and I have some questions:

1) How would I get the Mod 2 above the plasma screen when the TV sits on a stand about 18" in front of the wall behind? I don't want to place it below the screen.

2) Would these mounts work? http://www.roundsound.com/speakers-junction-box.htm I have junction boxes installed and prewired for speakers. These are for Gallo but seem to have a 1/4-20 screw thread.

Here's my room. After going back and forth on placement, I think we will mount the center above the plasma and the l/r at the junction boxes. Placing them on either side of the TV would narrow the sound field too much. The sub will go at the end of the sofa, below the windows on the right and in front of the console table that the plasma sits on.

post #97 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

HookEm,

If I were you, and I was in exactly the same situation as you about five months ago, I would try the Mod2's left and right on either side of the plasma just on the stands that are provided with them, temporarily. Even the CC could be mounted on the same stand and placed in front center of the plasma (they make a stainless steel stand to mount them side-by-side, but I didn't like the sound, and you can have it if you want it). I know that you don't want to leave them there, but it will give you an idea about where the soundfield will be as you move them around. I cut lengths of wire to run from my outlets (juntcion boxes) so that I could experiment with surround locations L, R, and Rear...and I am still moving them around. As a matter of fact, it was my original idea to be able to easily remove them and put them away when my Precious and Wonderful is having company, and I have found that I like being able to relocate them on a whim...it does make a difference in the soundfield, and from movie to movie. The rear surrounds are Mod1's and are now permanently mounted on the back corners of the room, about the same height as your boxes appear to be...8'. I think that you will be surprised at the amount of sound that you will have to work with, and how easily you can aim them. You have a beautiful room and I think that your Orbs will just fit right in. Good luck!
post #98 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Liked: 13
I agree with TOMBOYTER. These speakers give you a lot of flexibility. Another suggestion is to send an e-mail to Orb with your pictures. Their customer service and response is second to none. Ethan is an excellent source for advice. The Gallo mount should work. If you check the Orb website, they also have a mount for a junction box.
post #99 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the input. Here's an quickie pano I took showing the entire room and the junction boxes in front and rear.

post #100 of 1404 Old 02-08-2007, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHookEm View Post

Thanks for the input. Here's an quickie pano I took showing the entire room and the junction boxes in front and rear.

You are a perfect candidate for an Orb Speaker purchase. I was trying to do a 5.1 setup in a 5th Wheel RV Trailer when I ran across the Orbs. I liked them so much I put another complete set in one of my bedrooms...

You can put these things anywhere

Russ
post #101 of 1404 Old 02-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Well I ordered an RBH MC-414C yesterday to use as the center channel in my 7.1 Orb system, and hopefully it will arrive early next week, and hopefully Orb will have shipped me a replacement sub-woofer by then. I'm really anxious to put the pieces together and see if it works.

Hookem, you have a lot of airspace to fill in that room, and it will be interesting to see if the Orbs can do the job when they are that spread out...Good Luck and keep us informed.
post #102 of 1404 Old 02-12-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomboyter View Post

Funny you should mention that cbesper, my sub died about two weeks ago, after three months or so of service. They are sending me a box so that I can return it for repair (charging me $40) or replacement since it is under warranty, but I don't think that "refund" is an option. If I were gonna replace mine I think it would be with an RBH 10"er, because they say that it is especially "musical". I think that RBH speakers are something special and their subs are highly regarded and glowingly reviewed.

I don't think that your SVS 12"er is necessarily overkill, it's just important that the frequencies up through 150 - 200 hz integrate nicely with the little Orbs. I thought that the 8" Orb did a good job of that, but wouldn't mind just a tad lower extension. I don't play my sub that loud, as I just want good coverage the low end to the high without emphasis on much more than the voice frequencies. Our room is 28" by 16" with 18' vaulted cieling, but the little Orbs fill it up remarkably well when we crank up a concert DVD or the movie gets loud. My only complaint is with the center channel...that's where I hear a little "hollowness" and miss the deeper resonance of, say something like Sean Connery's voice. I am about to try another CC speaker to see if that makes a difference, but don't have it yet, and want to wait till my sub is returned before making a definitive comparison.

This stuff is sometimes very frustrating, and it makes me a little nervous that the Orb subs seem to have an alarming failure rate...what happens when the warranty period is over?

I've been lurking here for some weeks now and am teetering on purchasing a Super8/Mod2 all-around 5.1 system. The WAF is a big concern and is driving the retirement of my old but loved Bose 601 IV's (Bose flamers: I know, I know... but I actually think these sound nice; these are the very old dual 8" midrange with quad tweeter setups is each speaker). There is also an M&K MX80 subwoofer (dual 12") that is just too big for its own good, and is also its downfall with the WAF.

I'm concerned that there are at least two recent mentions of failed Super 8 subs on the forum and was wondering if there is some known problem with these. I'm also a bit concerned that even with the superlative reviews of the Orbs, that I may be disappointed as compared to the existing setup I've described.

I don't expect an 8" subwoofer to compare to my existing dual 12" one, but my existing one is "boomy" and I don't care for that aspect. Any one here replaced big box speakers such as these with the People's Choice or Mod 2 HT and been satisfied? My main purpose is for a wide range of music including classic rock, blues, and Smooth Jazz, but no hip-hop or other genres with stereotypical deep boomy bass.

So, Keep the M&K MX80 and deal with the WAF, or go with the Super8 or one of the recent larger subwoofer "specials" at Orb?

Thanks in advance for your comments. I've gleaned much information from this forum and find it very helpful.
post #103 of 1404 Old 02-12-2007, 11:26 AM

I have not heard that the Super 8 failure rate is high. I spoke to the folks at ORB and they said there was not an issue with them. Give them a try, if your experience is anything like mine, you will be a very happy camper. I have a WAF issue and the ORBS are not a problem either visually or from a sound standpoint. Of course with certain movies, closing the door to the TV room helps. You will find them a giant step up from the Bose.
post #104 of 1404 Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstand View Post

I have not heard that the Super 8 failure rate is high. I spoke to the folks at ORB and they said there was not an issue with them. Give them a try, if your experience is anything like mine, you will be a very happy camper. I have a WAF issue and the ORBS are not a problem either visually or from a sound standpoint. Of course with certain movies, closing the door to the TV room helps. You will find them a giant step up from the Bose.

I suppose hearing is believing in this case. I just don't see how I'm getting "better" sound by ditching my Subwoofer and old floorstanders. Thats (2) 12" drivers in the sub, (2) 8" midrange in each L/R speaker, and (4) tweeters in each speaker being replaced by (1) 8" Subwoofer and a (2) full range drivers in each L/R Orb Mod2, when using the Orbs in stereo mode for music.

It it works, I'll be quite impressed and sorry I hadn't made the change sooner. What was your speaker set-up prior to implementation of the Orbs?
post #105 of 1404 Old 02-13-2007, 06:50 AM

[. What was your speaker set-up prior to implementation of the Orbs?[/quote]

Cambridge Soundworks Surround 2, with centerstage center channel and 10 inch sub. The Orbs were a major step up!!
post #106 of 1404 Old 02-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

I am officially nominating Orb Audio for the Customer Service Award of the Year....if there is such a thing, those guys deserve to win it. They upgraded the shipping on my replacement sub-woofer so that I would have it for the weekend, it got here, it worked perfectly, and we are back to enjoying the full effect of the speaker system. I am still amazed at how much sound can be cranked out of those little balls.

After playing a couple of movies I am still hearing a sort of "hollowness" that I can't get rid of. I'm thinking that it may be the result of resonance from the cubby holes in the bookcase, but I can't figure out a way of testing that. Everything is so wired into the bookcase that the speakers can't be moved around. My next step is to try some acoustical foam material on the backs and sides of the cubbyholes, to see if that reduces that "tin can" sound. Anybody out there have a better idea? I shure would like to hear it from someone who has already slain this dragon.

one more time...Thank You Ethan and Todd for going above and beyond the call of duty for a Very Grateful Customer.
post #107 of 1404 Old 02-19-2007, 09:21 AM

Well,

I am ready to buy a set of speakers for my home theater. I like the price and reviews the Orbs are getting, however, I have one requirement. I need to mount the speakers in the ceiling and not below. I know the Gallo round speakers have the setup to do this (And it looks really cool). Can the Orbs do the same? I did not see any in ceiling mounts listed on their site. Any third party mounts? Do the Gallo mounts work or are the speakers different sizes. If the Orbs cannot be mounted this way I will simply by the comparable Gallo speakers.

Thanks

Dirk
post #108 of 1404 Old 02-19-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Go with the Gallos.

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.

Hometown team
post #109 of 1404 Old 02-19-2007, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

I agree especially since the gallos have what you need in the UNCOMMON application and positioning
post #110 of 1404 Old 02-23-2007, 07:48 AM

Can anyone speak on a comparison of sound quality between the two? Just curious. I think I have it down to Gallo and Orb Audio finally. WAF on these were very high.
post #111 of 1404 Old 02-24-2007, 02:41 PM

I'm planning to buy a 5.1 system for my master bedroom 25x14 with a 10' vaulted ceiling. The display and mains will be facing the bed 14' from the headboard. I'm leaning towards the orbs over the onix x-cs beacuse of their size. The only negatives I've heard about the orbs is the mod2 as a cc. I'm thinking of the 5.1 peoples choice (black up front and white mod1's for the rear. I figure if I don't like the mod2 cc I can move them to the rear and have mod2 surrounds and find another cc speaker. If I do this I wonder if orb will allow me to send two black orbs back for whites? And also I wonder if anyone else has tried a different cc and what would be a good match? Also has anyone tried using a sub from HSU or another company specializing in subs with the orbs?
post #112 of 1404 Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalmon View Post

Can anyone speak on a comparison of sound quality between the two? Just curious. I think I have it down to Gallo and Orb Audio finally. WAF on these were very high.

Depends on which Gallos you are comparing. When I bought my Orbs 2 years ago I compared every sub/sat system I could, including comparable Gallos. I much preferred the Orbs for several reasons: 1 - the Orb sub seemed much better to me, 2 - the internet direct model seemed to bring me what I wanted for less, and 3 - the customer service from Orb was OUTSTANDING.

I do not have any experience with the higher end Gallo speakers, but 2 years ago the Gallos were, for me, more expensive and did not sound as good.
post #113 of 1404 Old 03-02-2007, 12:57 PM

Came home from work yesterday and noticed a hum coming from the stereo. Turns out the Super 8 was only outputting a hum...like maybe electrical interference or something.

I unplugged for a while hoping for a reset and disconnected the input but it still just would sit there humming when the power was on.

Tell me this isn't the sign of a dead/dying super 8. I have all my speaker wire, power cords, etc. bundled together so could it all of a sudden be getting some interference? It's been plugged in to a surge protector and i tried different outlets but nothing changed. It's been in this setup for a while now and i've had the system for at least a year probably.
post #114 of 1404 Old 03-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalmon View Post

Try comparing the orbs with the gallo micro/a'diva ti's and see which speakers you prefer.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #115 of 1404 Old 03-03-2007, 07:18 PM

I've listened to both the orbs and the adiva ti's. This is a little unfair comparison, as the orbs are 4" spheres and adivas are 5" spheres. The Adiva ti's are also titanium drivers whose freq range is broader than the orbs, and you can really tell the difference. They are also a lot more expensive. I was very very impressed by the adiva ti's. Smoother, fills in the missing midrange gap down to 80hz that the orbs are missing. Also airey high frequencies! Very smooth all over. The orbs are no slouch at all, and very impressive for their size, just not near as good as the Ti's. Now, I'd like to hear anyone who's compared the orbs to the micro ti's to see how much difference there is.
I am wondering if the micro ceiling mounts will work just fine for the orbs, since they are the same size.....
post #116 of 1404 Old 03-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Orbs are a beautiful little speaker.....and I have been looking at them with interest. But, the 3" driver size, though allowing for a larger subwoofer and lower crossover than a smaller driver, seems pretty inadequate for driving high frequencies without lots of beaming. Is that the case ? I haven't heard them myself, but I can see they would work better with an 8" sub crossed over higher than a bookshelf of more significant size...my only worry.
post #117 of 1404 Old 03-04-2007, 08:14 PM

According to the website, Orbs are 4 3/16" so I guess they are in between Micro and A'Diva in size. They also use a neodymium magnet which doesn't hog up all of the space insde the speaker. I think the Ti's use this smart trick as well. Does that make the Orbs comparable to "Micro'Diva Ti"????? Looking at this post, it's amazing how little I knew about speakers a few years ago and how much I've learned on this forum. I wonder if any of it is correct
post #118 of 1404 Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 AM

Sometimes, my super 8 subwoofer sounds funny. It is hard to explain. What does a blown subwoofer sound like?
post #119 of 1404 Old 03-07-2007, 08:34 AM

My friend apparenly blew his (non-super8) and just said it didn't have any sound coming out of it. When I emailed Orb about it, they just said I would need to send it in to have them look at it since their equipment never has problems.
post #120 of 1404 Old 03-07-2007, 08:57 AM

Hi,
I got a people's choice in december and love it with my HT. I now want to put a set of speakers in my Dining room, for when adults are eating and kids are watching a movie. I will run them off my AVR, the Marantz 7001, which has a second room feature.
My question is whether a pair of Orbs (Mod 1's preferably) without a sub will produce a decent sound. This is for music playing during a meal, so it's not likely to be that loud (although I can imagine having it a bit louder during a party).
Am I crazy to think about this, should I just wall mount some "real" bookshelfs?
Thanks for any thoughts, observations, etc.
Bryan
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page