post #181 of 1404 Old 04-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

I decided to go with the SVS and the 12" sub for the family room/kitchen/dining room/breakfast area (all rooms are open to the area housing the speakers) as I felt after reading numerous posts that the SBS+ the 12" sub would be a better fit for the size space.

I almost feel guitly buying such good gear for the 'family room' and not upgrading my HT components...oh wait...no I don't =D

I switched back to the Orbs. After receiving the SVS, seeing the size (wifey was not happy) back they went and ordered the Orbs today (guess I will have to live with going upstairs for big sound).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1404 Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHookEm View Post

Thanks for the input. Here's an quickie pano I took showing the entire room and the junction boxes in front and rear.

Put the surrounds on the j-boxes in the rear, but for aesthetic reasons I would certainly flank the plasma with the Orbs and do something to make the plates up front less noticeable.

The First Clarke Law states, 'If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible he is almost certainly right, but if he says that it is impossible he is very probably wrong.'
post #183 of 1404 Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

I switched back to the Orbs. After receiving the SVS, seeing the size (wifey was not happy) back they went and ordered the Orbs today (guess I will have to live with going upstairs for big sound).

Don't make up your mind before you hear the Orbs. For a small sub/sat system, they will amaze you.
post #184 of 1404 Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM

I have to admit that every time I see the picture of that room I think to myself what a nice looking room that is.
post #185 of 1404 Old 04-15-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McIntosh View Post

Don't make up your mind before you hear the Orbs. For a small sub/sat system, they will amaze you.

The sub does have it's limits though. I found that for the most part, the Orbs are really nice. I have the People's Choice setup and most movies doe fine. The Starwars, Ep 1 pod racing scene was supprisingly enjoyable. Watching U-57, the sub didn't sound bad, but didn't really deliver....but I really didn't expect it too. It did good for it's size plus the room is not very well setup for the sub to really do well. I read a review that the sub showed its limits on the 'tap' scene of "Finding Nemo." (chapter 25, I think) I tried it. It wasn't too bad for me. There was some cone noise though. I pretty much just had to turn "The Incredibles" off . The sub was struggling too badly and sounded bad. If I were about to cut out everything below 25hz (pulled-out-my-butt figure), maybe the sub would have done better for that film. The sub is not bad, it just has limits that a 8" sub should have. There are some times when the sub is quite suprising though. The rest of the speakers sound great to me. I even put my reciever on All-Channel-Stereo and popped in some music and turned it up pretty loud. There was no strain, cracking, or any bad sound coming from the speakers.

I'm not disappointed with my purchase, I'm just having mental issue with having paid considerably more for it than the SVS 5.1 (with PB12-NSD sub) that I just bought. But, I bought the Orb system for the living room, where I didn't want any of the audio/video items to take up much space or stand-out visually, except the flat panel TV.
post #186 of 1404 Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95bcwh View Post

Dear fellow Orbs owners:

Hmmm... I have my Orbs for nearly two years, today my super8 subwoofer begin to "hum", even when I turn the volume all the way to zero, the "hum" is still on. I took the sub into my 2-channel room and plug it into a dedicated circuit, it still "hum". I guess the time is finally up with this unit. Even then, I consider myself a little unlucky, two years is considered a little "short" for a sub to develop any problem. So now, I'm faced with a few choices:

1) Should I send the sub back to Orb for repair (pay repair charges)?
or
2) Should I get a new Super8 sub?
or
3) Should I get a Hsu or SVS sub??

I'm really tempted by Hsu or SVS... but they're a little more expensive, and I'm not sure if they will match well with the Orb speakers.

What do y'all think?

barry

Well, unless you get a discount on a new the Super8, ad new silver SVS PB10-NSD cost less.
post #187 of 1404 Old 04-16-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasrc View Post

The sub does have it's limits though. I found that for the most part, the Orbs are really nice. I have the People's Choice setup and most movies doe fine. The Starwars, Ep 1 pod racing scene was supprisingly enjoyable. Watching U-57, the sub didn't sound bad, but didn't really deliver....but I really didn't expect it too. It did good for it's size plus the room is not very well setup for the sub to really do well. I read a review that the sub showed its limits on the 'tap' scene of "Finding Nemo." (chapter 25, I think) I tried it. It wasn't too bad for me. There was some cone noise though. I pretty much just had to turn "The Incredibles" off . The sub was struggling too badly and sounded bad. If I were about to cut out everything below 25hz (pulled-out-my-butt figure), maybe the sub would have done better for that film. The sub is not bad, it just has limits that a 8" sub should have. There are some times when the sub is quite suprising though. The rest of the speakers sound great to me. I even put my reciever on All-Channel-Stereo and popped in some music and turned it up pretty loud. There was no strain, cracking, or any bad sound coming from the speakers.

I'm not disappointed with my purchase, I'm just having mental issue with having paid considerably more for it than the SVS 5.1 (with PB12-NSD sub) that I just bought. But, I bought the Orb system for the living room, where I didn't want any of the audio/video items to take up much space or stand-out visually, except the flat panel TV.

I agree that the system has its limits, however I have the opposite view. I think that if the Orb system has a weakness, to me it's the speakers (although I'm pretty happy with the sound/size ratio here as well). I have not had any issues with the sub and I think it is the strongest part of the system. I have watched "The Incredibles" and "Finding Nemo" and didn't notice the sub having any problems. HOWEVER, I am not a basshead and I only turn my sub up to about 1/3. Even then I use the receiver to back it down a little. For music it sounds tighter to me (as an 8" should) than comparable larger subs. That's why this stuff is so fun - everybody's different!
post #188 of 1404 Old 04-19-2007, 08:49 AM

Hey folks... I'm running a Mod2 5.1 surround sound set up. I originally had the Super 8 sub but upgraded to an SVS PB12 NSD/2 sub woofer since my basement theater is on the large side and I like to watch movies loud (BTW... this sub is an absolute MONSTER). The super 8 wasn't giving me that theater-like boom that I was hoping for.

For those of you in a similar situation as me (switching from the super 8 to something else), have you noticed any loss of frequency response? My cross over is set at 120. I'm having trouble telling what I'm missing (if anything) but I will say this... for the first time I can tell that the audio on most DVDs really isn't that spectacular. Admittedly, I haven't purchased a sound meter yet for calibration with my Avia disk (it's on my list of to-dos).

Regardless... I'm VERY pleased with my current set up and I have no intention of changing anything other than the calibrations.
post #189 of 1404 Old 04-26-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Has anyone paired the HT Peoples Choice Quick Pack with the Acoustech H-100 sub and HK Receiver?
post #190 of 1404 Old 04-27-2007, 10:30 PM

I am thinking about getting an Orb set up. However, I am on a shoestring budget. I am wondering if I can start with just a 2.1 mod2 or a 2.1 mod1 and slowly build it up. How does it sound with just the mod2s without the sub woofer? I may add a sub woofer in a few months.
post #191 of 1404 Old 04-27-2007, 11:38 PM

Curiousj, you definitely want to have the sub, so start with 2xMod1+Sub, instead of just 2xMod2.
post #192 of 1404 Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousj View Post

How does it sound with just the mod2s without the sub woofer? I may add a sub woofer in a few months.

Like s**t.... I love these things I own two complete sets but your going to need a sub. No getting around it.

Russ
post #193 of 1404 Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

Like s**t.... I love these things I own two complete sets but your going to need a sub. No getting around it.

Russ and other Orb owners - how do you think four satellite orbs would sound with an Onkyo 505, HSU VTF-1 sub, PSB center channel and fronts? I am debating those 4 satellites versus other options - feedback is appreciated.

Thansk people!
post #194 of 1404 Old 04-28-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasherrr View Post

Russ and other Orb owners - how do you think four satellite orbs would sound with an Onkyo 505, HSU VTF-1 sub, PSB center channel and fronts? I am debating those 4 satellites versus other options - feedback is appreciated.

Thansk people!

Which PSB's?

Russ
post #195 of 1404 Old 04-28-2007, 09:56 PM

Has anybody compared Orb Mod1 against Energy Take TWR speakers ?
post #196 of 1404 Old 04-29-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:

Which PSB's?

Century 400i's and Alpha Mites and the CC I dont know. I hooked em up to my new Onkyo 505 and they sound serviceable
post #197 of 1404 Old 04-29-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Century 400i's and Alpha Mites and the CC I dont know. I hooked em up to my new Onkyo 505 and they sound serviceable

You might as well give it a try...There is no risk with Orbs 30 day trial. I will say this I got some pretty decent stuff in my HT room but everybody always talks about the Orbs in the back rooms when they come over. They can't believe those little things are making all that sound.

Russ
post #198 of 1404 Old 04-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Hello Orb Fans,

Can someone post a picture of their HT with Orb speakers on it. I really like to buy this but also want to see how it look like on the ceiling.

post #199 of 1404 Old 05-01-2007, 10:19 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamon72 View Post

Hello Orb Fans,

Can someone post a picture of their HT with Orb speakers on it. I really like to buy this but also want to see how it look like on the ceiling.

Go to the Orb web site...www.orbaudio.com. There are a host of photos on the site, showing various configurations and the selection of speaker finishes.
post #200 of 1404 Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:

You might as well give it a try...There is no risk with Orbs 30 day trial. I will say this I got some pretty decent stuff in my HT room but everybody always talks about the Orbs in the back rooms when they come over. They can't believe those little things are making all that sound.

4 orbs arrived and they look money! Cant wait to hook them up tomorrow and will report on how it all fits together with the pSB's up front and the 4 orbs bringing up the rear on the 7.1 system
post #201 of 1404 Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

4 orbs arrived and they look money! Cant wait to hook them up tomorrow and will report on how it all fits together with the pSB's up front and the 4 orbs bringing up the rear on the 7.1 system

That was fast

Russ
post #202 of 1404 Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM

post some pictures as well ....
post #203 of 1404 Old 05-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasrc View Post

You summed up my thoughts exactly!

I had the SVS 5.1 (with the PB12) but returned it for aesthetic reasons given the purpose of the room (Kids shows/non-HD viewing/some light TC) and went with the People choice (MOD2s all around). The price did hurt some as the SVS set is in a different class IMO.

It was hard losing that PB12, really hard but, given the junction boxes I had already and the ease of mounting the orbs w/the junction box mounts, their size and use it was a no brainer. I'm considering asking Orb to take back the sub and buying an SVS as a replacement (or possible a B-stock super 8 to add to the system).

That said, having the SVS in house (I own an SVS PC39+ for the main system upstairs) I can't wait for their mid-tower line as it will be perfect for my main system (if not a bit of overkill due to the room size =D

Customer service with Orb Audio was great as well, one of my Orbs was DOA and they swapped it out ASAP.

Just be sure to base your purchase on your needs and set expectations.
post #204 of 1404 Old 05-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Rears:

Finally got around to taking a shot of the Orbs in place.
post #205 of 1404 Old 05-06-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Those things look great in that room. Nice job Tim.

Russ
post #206 of 1404 Old 05-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Those things look great in that room. Nice job Tim.

Thanks, Russdawg! I swapped the shot out to one that was less grainy and added a few more =D.

I was sceptical about getting them and in white - but once I had the SVS set and in place, it really did look bad - but, this room is for a different use and these puppies totally work for the space.
post #207 of 1404 Old 05-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Tim - they look great in that room for sure. I'm wondering which Sub you use and where did you hide it? Thanks.

I'll post pics of my Orb and flat panel setup once it's complete.

Oh yeah, any noticable sound issues with the surrounds facing in different directions?
post #208 of 1404 Old 05-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen View Post

Tim - they look great in that room for sure. I'm wondering which Sub you use and where did you hide it? Thanks.

I'll post pics of my Orb and flat panel setup once it's complete.

Oh yeah, any noticable sound issues with the surrounds facing in different directions?

Thanks!

I'm using the Super Eight that Orb sells, it isn't hidden, well not on purpose, it's actually behind the open door on the left side of the stand (the Xbox 360 needed some fresh air). I've been tempted to hide it inside the stands right side but I just can't bring myself to do it :P.

I thought the surrounds would be off due to the direction (great job wiring guys) but we haven't noticed (and I'm pretty picky about surround placement having never been in an optimal space for HT) anything wrong.

I've been tempted to take down them down and give'em a bendy twist to get them facing the same general direction but for the amount of content that has 5.1 sound, they are fine where they are; anything major we watch upstairs on the main system.
post #209 of 1404 Old 05-08-2007, 01:14 PM

Tim,

My room is about the same as yours but mine was prewired for on/in ceiling installation. Would it be possible to put orbs on ceiling? What kind of bracket do i have to use?
post #210 of 1404 Old 05-08-2007, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

I think Orb has a ceiling mount. For sure they have something called a 'multi-mount' which can be positioned (even bent) in almost any direction. I have two of those to use for my surrounds going on the back wall. They are quite versatile.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page