Why should I hate Bose again? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bose is a pretty hated brand among audiophiles... I am curious: what's the deal with Bose? Why should I hate them? How are they better/worse than systems matched at a same price?

When I am in a conversation on sound and someone brings up Bose... I would trash Bose, but I honestly don't know what's wrong with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

you dont have to hate bose, if you dig the sound, thats perfectly fine.

I see no wrong with anyone enjoying bose.
Audiophiles dont really attack them much, the only ones I see attacking them are the audio noobs.

bose doesnt even cater to audiophiles anyhow.
post #3 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starguard View Post

Bose is a pretty hated brand among audiophiles... I am curious: what's the deal with Bose? Why should I hate them? How are they better/worse than systems matched at a same price?

When I am in a conversation on sound and someone brings up Bose... I would trash Bose, but I honestly don't know what's wrong with them.

Essentially, they market their speakers as premium, premium, premium... when in reality they aren't any good. And they charge very high prices to pay for that marketing machine (and a ridiculous profit margin).

Compare a $2000 bose system to a $1000 internet direct system and the $1000 ID system will MURDER the bose system in all aspects.

the masses equate Bose qith quality... when in reality, they are junk speakers compared to many brands that charge less than half of what Bose charges.
post #4 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

well in terms of marketing, that goes for a lot of other companies, its just that bose has been more successful. Truth is there are other speaker companies with much higher profit margins. Calculate the costs of advertising, middle man and such I wouldnt think it was much higher than e tailers shipping factory direct with no ad budget or middle man to concern themselves with.

this would most likely give you a better value for the money from other companies, however there is nothing wrong with Bose imo.

if you are speaking of price and taking into consideration what a true top tier premium system costs, bose is a drop in the bucket in comparison, and I believe the top tier audiophile speaker companies have a substatially higher profit margin.

bose just has a wider consumer base and public awareness, which IMO is one of the major factors they have also garnered much more attention from the maliscous.

if no one knew whast bose was or if they were a much smaller company I doubt theyd get the same negative attention they do now.

If you were to go to any Bose rep, and ask them if Bose was the best speaker on the market, I highly doubt they would exclaim such nonsense, when I ran into the bose rep a while back, he didnt tell me they were the best, he also told me he was aware of the negative feedback from audiophiles and simply told me that they were never the target audience. He said basically if you dont like the bose sound than they arent for you and another company may be a better choice. Kudos to the rep for being honest. They only target a specific market, which is the WAF non audiophile crowd, and they seem to be doing something right since the people that buy the lifestyles and such, on the most part seem genuinely happy with it.

I see no point in seeing a non audiophile product being bashed in an audiophile forum.

cheers
post #5 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Why does everyone keep biting on these Bose threads? Isn't one enough?
post #6 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There's no reason to hate Bose the brand, but perhaps you can hate what it's done to the general publics understanding of audio. You can certainly find plenty of info on what makes the Bose products "not great" around here and on other forums, as well as at various websites such as this one: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I don't personally care one way or another about Bose. I own a Wave CD/Radio but I would have never bought it, I inherited it. It's one of the best sounding tabletop CD/Radio alarm clocks I've heard, but I haven't listened to the other items on the market which from what I've read sound better (such as the less expensive Cambridge unit and various others). In an absolute sense, it's a ripoff at $500 IMO.

As far as the rest of their speakers, or their cubes, they simply don't sound that good to me. Even in absolute measurements they tend to fall flat on their faces. Particularly the cube systems (as you'll see in the link I posted). So if you're looking for sound quality, while no doubt some people think they sound good, I'd wager they would change their mind if they listened to other products.

Some buy Bose because of the size or how they look (I think they're ugly and cheap looking but YMMV). They generally rate well with WAF for those concerned with such things.

What's bad? Well like I said audio quality is below that of much less expensive products, and they can cost as much as some serious audio gear. Does that lead me to hate them? No, they're quite successful at what they do. What I do hate is people who don't know anything about audio walking around like they know something because they have heard or owned Bose. It's equivalent to someone walking in to a room of photographers and telling them how their big SLRs are a waste when their little point and shoot does such a good job. It's on such a different level that many people simply can't comprehend or understand it until they've had some experience with it. That's what I hate about Bose, but again it's not directed at the products or the company, but the people that worship them I suppose. Fancy marketing and gadgets don't fix a flawed or incapable speaker system. Fancy sensor cleaning modes and gadgets don't fix a camera with a lousy lens system or flawed sensor either.

Would I buy Bose for myself or others? No I would not, and I will always gladly help and explain to someone who asks for information on them and wants to really know what is out there. I've helped several people I know shy away from Bose and buy things that cost them considerably less and they found that those products sounded much better. You can't deny the cheap materials and deficiencies in sound reproduction that Bose exhibits, however those may not concern some people, and others simply don't know.
froilan12 likes this.

my NADs are new
post #7 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's no reason to hate Bose the brand, but perhaps you can hate what it's done to the general publics understanding of audio.

In the industry , even amongst the uber-audiophiles, they are credited with two things:
Getting Joe Average into looking for inhancement to his tv sound (which may lead him to better things).
and
Getting all other speaker companies to realize the importance of astetics to most consumers. The "Monkey Coffin Speaker" is dead.

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #8 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

If Bose: drastically lowered their prices, be honest about their products, and didn't not-allow dealers to place them with other speakers, I wouldn't "hate" them.

But, since they don't, I do...

...especially when a $400 home-theater-in-a-box performs the same as a $4000 Lifestyle system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
post #9 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sm View Post

In the industry , even amongst the uber-audiophiles, they are credited with two things:
Getting Joe Average into looking for inhancement to his tv sound (which may lead him to better things).
and
Getting all other speaker companies to realize the importance of astetics to most consumers. The "Monkey Coffin Speaker" is dead.

I don't think Bose lead to other speakers looking better, there have been a variety of good looking speakers for a long time and the ability to build a nice cabinet for a reasonable amount of money has really brought about a lot of the change. Machining and design technology changed a lot during the 90s. Take camera bodies for example, they went from relatively boxy designs to largely curvy, and sleek designs. A combination of improved design capabilities and manufacturing capabilities went in to that. It's hard to do the right thing with the right materials than something similarly swanky looking with the wrong materials.

Bose may lead people away from the sound from their TV, but they're leading them down an unpleasant, thorny path. People would be just as well off to stick with their TV speakers than go and buy whatever Bose propose they replace them with.

You repeatedly defend Bose, which is fine. But you seem to have some amusingly lofty opinions on their great and glamorous impact on the audio business. It's had an effect, but not enough positive to really matter IMO.

my NADs are new
post #10 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 PM

Do you really need to create a thread about bose? Can't you use search function and read up a bit?
But anyway, bose isn't the worst thing in the audio world, there are makers and sellers of those overpriced "reference grade audiophile" cables and we probably should bash on them too, escpecially since they are targeting the audiophiles.
post #11 of 170 Old 12-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveSax View Post

Do you really need to create a thread about bose? Can't you use search function and read up a bit?
But anyway, bose isn't the worst thing in the audio world, there are makers and sellers of those overpriced "reference grade audiophile" cables and we should hate on them too.

I don't hate them any more than I hate Bose, just the people that rant on and on about them. Although the company responses to challenges to the validity of their claims can be pretty amusing.

my NADs are new
post #12 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I dont hate bose,

But I am saddened by uninformed consumers purchasing bose without realizing there are far better systems out there for much less.
Their marketing is amazing, to the detriment of the uninformed.

Cruzin

Martin Logan Speakers

Marantz Prepro

Aragon 4004, and Outlaw 7100 amps

Chase 18.1 Sub,and Velodyne DD15

LittleBear tube preamp

Pro-Ject debutte 3 turntable

post #13 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life View Post

... and didn't not-allow dealers to place them with other speakers, I wouldn't "hate" them.

I love that widely spouted load of BS. Bose doesn't allow dealers to place their products with other speakers ehh. I've seen more than a few setups in more than a few stores to know for fact that is an outright lie. My local Circuit City has a Bose system in the same sound room as a Polk RTi setup. The old Fry's I would go to had some Bose speakers in the same room with Infinity, Polk (LSi + RTi), JBL, and others. The Target I shop at has them side by side with the rest of the garbage they sell. The Best Buy I shop at has them side by side with Klipsch, Sony, Insignia, Yamaha, etc on the same selector. Am I the only one out of millions that seems to be able to find these stores where you can compare side by side the sound of Bose versus anything else?
post #14 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I hate them because they are succesful fooling people into thinking their voodooi magic piece of junk is the best thing under the Sun.... why didnt I think of that.... I admire their marketing skill though...to make people pay so much money for that crap, you gotta be good at marketing.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #15 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Bose doesn't allow dealers to place their products with other speakers ehh.

And General Mills, Keebler, and others pay for shelf space and location.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #16 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

music is the best.
post #17 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M View Post

Am I the only one out of millions that seems to be able to find these stores where you can compare side by side the sound of Bose versus anything else?

Count me as the 2nd in millions. Any CC or BB I've been in has Bose sitting out with everything else. Some setups you can just push a button to switch between sources to hear which speaker you prefer.
post #18 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 AM

Liked: 14
A lot of companies make bad products, and I don't hate them for it. I hate Bose for lying that their bad products are much better than other company's better products and charging accordingly. I also hate that members of the non-audio community frequently (unwittingly) insult good products by favorably comparing Bose's junk to them.
post #19 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just wondering...why would you bash something when you admit that you didn't know what was wrong with them?
post #20 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

I hate Bose for lying that their bad products are much better than other company's better products and charging accordingly.

How many companies do not act like their product is better than the competition?
post #21 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveSax View Post

Bose's target audience is incapable of research.
post #22 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yawn
post #23 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicAjax View Post

my cat's breath smells like cat food.

Haha .. and your dog's breath probably smells like a nutsack right?
post #24 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 10:44 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 View Post

How many companies do not act like their product is better than the competition?

How many actually get away with charging way more than companies that make much better stuff than they do? Bose is like Yugo selling at a Mercedes price.
post #25 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Count me as the 2nd in millions. Any CC or BB I've been in has Bose sitting out with everything else. Some setups you can just push a button to switch between sources to hear which speaker you prefer.

I've seen that with their computer speakers (where they generally lose to Klipsch, etc IMO) but I don't ever recall seeing them mixed in with the rest of the home audio products. they are always at the end of an aisle, or hooked up to a separate TV somewhere. Direct comparisons in pretty much every store I can remember being in are impossible.

my NADs are new
post #26 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien View Post

I've seen that with their computer speakers (where they generally lose to Klipsch, etc IMO) but I don't ever recall seeing them mixed in with the rest of the home audio products. they are always at the end of an aisle, or hooked up to a separate TV somewhere. Direct comparisons in pretty much every store I can remember being in are impossible.

Well, I've lived in Virginia, Maryland, and now Virginia. In the Best Buys I've visited that I've bothered to look, Bose has been mixed in with everything else. In the Best Buy I visited the other night, they had bookshelf speakers lined up in two rows, with subwoofers on a third bottom row. There was one selector switch where you could choose your combo of bookshelf and subwoofer. While this setup wasn't ideal for obvious reasons (and I didn't bother to listen to the Bose), I came away impressed by the Insignia speakers at least.
post #27 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Then why would you trash them? All you are doing is spewing an opinion of someone else as your own. I don't think that is very smart.

OK, so why *again* do we need a bigger one?
post #28 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dude, don't waste your time trying to reason with him.

post #29 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

How many actually get away with charging way more than companies that make much better stuff than they do? Bose is like Yugo selling at a Mercedes price.

You can list nearly every luxary company under the sun. LV makes a vinyl and leather trimed handbag that sells for over $1000. Prada does the same thing with nylon. Is someone going to tell me Faragamo shoes are 3 times better than Cole Haan? Are those Nike Air whatevers really worth $180 vs $60 converse? Is a Patek watch really worth 20K when I can get a Tag for about $1000? How about a bottle a Remy's Louie cognac. Definetly it is worth $30 a shot.

post #30 of 170 Old 12-18-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano-M View Post

I love that widely spouted load of BS. Bose doesn't allow dealers to place their products with other speakers ehh. I've seen more than a few setups in more than a few stores to know for fact that is an outright lie. My local Circuit City has a Bose system in the same sound room as a Polk RTi setup. The old Fry's I would go to had some Bose speakers in the same room with Infinity, Polk (LSi + RTi), JBL, and others. The Target I shop at has them side by side with the rest of the garbage they sell. The Best Buy I shop at has them side by side with Klipsch, Sony, Insignia, Yamaha, etc on the same selector. Am I the only one out of millions that seems to be able to find these stores where you can compare side by side the sound of Bose versus anything else?

I can't comment on every BB or CC in this land...

...but, everytime I've seen Bose, the display has been by itself.

Hell, even Sam's Club sells Bose...

...in a display by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink
Mr. Cialella is, without question, the AVS honorary MOST ADMIRED PERSON OF THE YEAR.:D
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page