*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Speakers > *** The Official APERION Thread ***
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs 07:21 PM 10-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymart View Post

I put together the following on the Aperion site...

632 Mains
533 VAC Center

Now here's the question...

422 Surrounds or 534 Surrounds...

This is for my HT which is going in the basement. The HT section of the basement is 23X15 with 7'6" ceilings but one entire side of the room is open to the rest of the basement. Surrounds will have to be ceiling mounted. System will be used for 50% Movies 50% Music (mainly Concert DVD's). What would you change? Also, if I choose the 534's do I need a certain receiver to drive them (12 ohms)? Any recommendations?

PS..Don't know enough about the Aperion subs so I am going with an HSU

I haven't heard the 632s but I do have the 633Ts and I must say the 533VAC didn't quite match. The 634VAC is MUCH better.

If you have an open room and have to ceiling mount your surrounds my suggestion (from personal experience) is to order both a set of 534SS and 532LR and put them on a pair of 6' ladders near where you think you'll mount them and figure out which sound best and then send back the ones that don't (remember, that's free ).

Mike

JosephD05's Avatar JosephD05 12:44 PM 10-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdunnit View Post

lol that's funny, I have the JBL Northridge also. Guess we will have to compare our experiences! What receiver do you have? Are you using BluRay/HD-DVD? I've got the Yamaha rxv1700 with a PS3 and a HD-Addon for the 360.

I just received Beside You in Time Nine inch nails BD, can't wait for these speakers to get here for that.

I thought more shipped also but the only thing that shipped is the surrounds, the rest is on backorder like yours. Would be nice if they get stock a little earlier instead of later.

I also currently have JBL Northridge series all the way around, plus two Paradigm Cinema 90 sats for surround backs. All being powered by a new Onkyo 805. NOW, I just pulled the trigger on a 532 LR pair and 533VAC. My question is, will I be able to tell the difference in sound quaility, and if so, will it be somewhat obvious?
ApolloCreed's Avatar ApolloCreed 06:39 PM 10-22-2007
I went from JBL Studio Series all around to Aperion and I have never looked back. Not even close in sound quality. The JBLs might have a slight edge in loud reproduction of hard rock music, but the overall smoothness of the Aperions made them sound much better to me. I listen to solely hip hop/r&b and it is unreal the subtle nuances that I can hear now that I never heard before.
tcwatkins's Avatar tcwatkins 09:16 AM 10-23-2007
Aperion is having a small sale till the end of the month. I bought the a pair of Intimus 533-PT and saved $200.
nymart's Avatar nymart 09:19 AM 10-23-2007
Unfortunately though, the sale is only on specific packages...Good deals if those are the speakers you are looking for...Would be nice however, if they put a discount on any package that you customize yourself IMHO.
tcwatkins's Avatar tcwatkins 11:14 AM 10-23-2007
I thought any sale for Aperion was news. Just curious, how often do they have sales?

Funny how life works. I'm putting a new HT package together, including funiture. I've been almost psychotic trying to get the best price on the TV, DVD player, and A/V receiver I want. The furniture I wanted, Stickley, doesn't permit it's dealers to play with their prices and I decided to go with Aperion in part because I didn't want to try to get the best price but just assume that the price is the best price because it's direct to consumer. So what happens? Both Stickley and Aperion put the exact things I want on sale! Go figure.

Just ordered the 533-PT. Waiting for my back-ordered reciver to ship before I order 533-SS and 533-VAC, just to preserve the 30 day return ability.
nymart's Avatar nymart 09:16 AM 10-24-2007
Just curious as to what brand receiver you guys are using to run your Aperions? Has anyone tried multiple brands and can you comment on your likes and dislikes of each? I am really torn between Harman and Yamaha right now....TIA
JosephD05's Avatar JosephD05 09:28 AM 10-24-2007
I ordered the 533VAC and 533 towers. When it arrives, I will be powering them up with a new Onkyo 805.
chmee's Avatar chmee 11:42 AM 10-26-2007
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of 633Ts, a 634VAC, and a pair of 532LRs for surrounds. I'm waiting on the subwoofer until I can hear the system, which I'll be matching up with Pioneer VSX-94TXH.

Expecting everything to arrive by next Friday, hopefully. That would give me the weekend to play with it. Can't wait to hear it.
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs 01:08 PM 10-26-2007
Cool! Don't forget to let them break in for at least 50 hours before any critical listening.

Let us know what you think

Mike
agbrander's Avatar agbrander 07:48 PM 10-28-2007
Evening all

I am setting up my HT in my rec room and have decided on the following components:

1) Sharp XVZ-12000 MK2 (got it last week, I love it), projected on a 106" Greywolf screen
2) Onkyo SR-705
3) Aperion Intimus 532 Harmony speakers
4) Will be buying the new Samsung BD/HDDVD when it comes down in price a little, until then will be upscaling my old DVDs through HDMI on my current Samsung DVD player

The question I have relates to the shape of the room and the setup and power of the speakers.

The room is a rec room, the shape is approx 25 x 17 with one of the 17' side walls opening into a 15 foot extension that is approx 8 foot wide. The only reasonable way I can see to set up the HT area is in the far end of the room, with the screen along the last 10' of one of the 25' walls, and the couch in the opposite 10'. (This is because the ceiling drops by 1' when you come 10' in from the end wall, which makes it too low for the screen, and other ceiling irregularities make other configurations impossible, or at least very difficult)

This means my HT space will be competely bounded by a wall on the right hand side (which has windows and a door in it) as I sit on the couch, and completely open to the rest of the rec room on the left hand side.

I am planning to have the 532-C sitting dead under the screen (top of the 532-C is then 29" off the floor).. there isn't really another option for it.

Question 1 - is there anything I can do to make the sound feel balanced in a space like this which is open on one side and closed on the other? What would you recommend? can i baffle the sound bouncing off the wall with fabric or something?

Question 2 - Because my screen takes up most of the wall that we are looking at, I am not sure where to put the 532 LR. I can put them in either (i) under the screen, but then the top of the speaker is at 29" high... or (ii) on either side of the screen, which will (a) have the LR higher than the C and (b)

Question 3 - with the open space on the LHS of the viewing area, do you think the S8APR sub will be enough??

Thanks in advance for your advice....

Alex

The shape of th
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs 08:15 PM 10-28-2007
I'll post what I can but I think you'll get extra advice (if you want it ) at the dedicated diy theater forum if you post there as well. I'm a regular there so I probably can cover most of the questions you've asked.
  • Having the center below the screen is fine (that's how mine is). If you have money to do something different a common solution is to use an acoustically transparent (AT) screen and put all the speakers behind it. You build a 2-3' false wall covered in AT fabric (there are lots) and you've got the best sound/setup combo.
  • Acoustical treatment panels are what you'll need on the right side of the room for first order reflections (there's a massive thread that's a sticky on the DIY forum -- but it is huge so good luck getting through it, I think you get a PhD when you're done ).
  • Don't forget acoustical treatment on the screen wall especially behind where the speakers are -- it'll really clarify vocals, details and imaging for you -- something you'll want given your tough setup.
  • An equal problem and not just for bass will be the open area on the left. You'll probably end up with a lot of echo and reverb in that space and you'll want to tame it somehow. I would definitely look into some bass traps for the corners in that space and you may even want some extra panels as well. This is a tough thing to fix -- you might want to draw up your space and your initial plan of where the theater will go and post it on the DIY forum and see what people think. You're not the only one to solve this problem is the good thing
  • An 8" sub in that amount of space will probably be completely swallowed up. You'll probably need at least the 10" and probably the 12".

Hope that gets you started. It can be done and done well. And some of this stuff can be done on a decent budget too if you can do the work yourself.

Good luck and hollar if you have other questions.

Mike
agbrander's Avatar agbrander 09:33 PM 10-28-2007
Thanks a lot for your advice.... one quick follow-up question...

If I have the center below the screen, the tweeter will be max 24" inches off the ground, as against an ear height of ~39". Would you recommend having the LR speakers at the same tweeter height as the center, or higher? Should they be at ear height or somewhere in between? Finally, should the center be pivoted so the face of the speaker is angled up towards the listener, or is facing forward just fine?

Really appreciate the advice - most of the setup info I read is more concerned with horizontal than vertical placement,

Also, as far as acoustically transparent screens are concerned, I will take a look at the DIY forum, but my first guess is that with only 9 months left on my lease and $1000 worth of speakers I would be better off spending extra money on a better center...

Finally, I think I have worked out a way that I could do the room symmetrically and not have to deal with the wall asymmetry... I think will require a lot of rearranging but still seems more worthwhile than all the extras you were suggesting.

Thanks again

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

I'll post what I can but I think you'll get extra advice (if you want it ) at the dedicated diy theater forum if you post there as well. I'm a regular there so I probably can cover most of the questions you've asked.
  • Having the center below the screen is fine (that's how mine is). If you have money to do something different a common solution is to use an acoustically transparent (AT) screen and put all the speakers behind it. You build a 2-3' false wall covered in AT fabric (there are lots) and you've got the best sound/setup combo.
  • Acoustical treatment panels are what you'll need on the right side of the room for first order reflections (there's a massive thread that's a sticky on the DIY forum -- but it is huge so good luck getting through it, I think you get a PhD when you're done ).
  • Don't forget acoustical treatment on the screen wall especially behind where the speakers are -- it'll really clarify vocals, details and imaging for you -- something you'll want given your tough setup.
  • An equal problem and not just for bass will be the open area on the left. You'll probably end up with a lot of echo and reverb in that space and you'll want to tame it somehow. I would definitely look into some bass traps for the corners in that space and you may even want some extra panels as well. This is a tough thing to fix -- you might want to draw up your space and your initial plan of where the theater will go and post it on the DIY forum and see what people think. You're not the only one to solve this problem is the good thing
  • An 8" sub in that amount of space will probably be completely swallowed up. You'll probably need at least the 10" and probably the 12".

Hope that gets you started. It can be done and done well. And some of this stuff can be done on a decent budget too if you can do the work yourself.

Good luck and hollar if you have other questions.

Mike

ZMAG's Avatar ZMAG 09:31 AM 10-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymart View Post

Just curious as to what brand receiver you guys are using to run your Aperions? Has anyone tried multiple brands and can you comment on your likes and dislikes of each? I am really torn between Harman and Yamaha right now....TIA

I'm using a HK347 for my new 532's and it works great. I don't have another receiver to compare with though. I really like the HDMI upconvert and on-screen display on the HK.
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs 09:32 AM 10-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by agbrander View Post

Thanks a lot for your advice.... one quick follow-up question...

Glad to help

I would mount the LRs at ear height (mine are towers so no choice there and everything sounds great) and definitely tilt the center up towards your ear. Measure the distance from the floor to the tweeter and from the tweeter to your listening position and from the floor to your ear when seated, do a little math and you'll have your angle to tilt the speaker up (more or less).

Are you going with the 532C or the 533-VAC? If you've got a little extra cash I agree to upgrade the speakers and I'd definitely throw in the 533-VAC.

Mike
JosephD05's Avatar JosephD05 09:40 AM 10-29-2007
I just took delivery of a 533vac center and matching towers. I left my JBL northridge series for surrounds, and Paradigm Cinema 90 for surround backs. The Aperions sound great. I have them crossed over at 70hz, but I have my lFE crossover at 100MHZ. The detail is amazing. I can't say much about the bass, since I haven't tested them out for low frequency yet, but I'm sure they can handle the mid bass just fine. The fit and finish are superb. I was also impressed by the packaging. The velvet bag is a nice touch.
agbrander's Avatar agbrander 08:05 PM 10-30-2007
Thanks, I had an epiphany on the phone with aperion today and managed to find al the components of an entire 5.1 system of "a-grade" open-box (i.e. returned but in good condition) at 15% off their already great prices...

I ended up with 2 533-T towers, the 533-VAC, and the 10" sub, stayed with the 422s as surrounds... think I am going to be *much* happier The towers were reduced from 375 to 319, and given that i don't need stands either I ended up paying only 100 each more than I would for the bookshelves

Will let y'all know how it works out

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

Glad to help

I would mount the LRs at ear height (mine are towers so no choice there and everything sounds great) and definitely tilt the center up towards your ear. Measure the distance from the floor to the tweeter and from the tweeter to your listening position and from the floor to your ear when seated, do a little math and you'll have your angle to tilt the speaker up (more or less).

Are you going with the 532C or the 533-VAC? If you've got a little extra cash I agree to upgrade the speakers and I'd definitely throw in the 533-VAC.

Mike

accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs 03:10 PM 10-31-2007
OHHH SWEET!

Yeah, that's a hummer of a deal you got there. Nice job

I think you're going to be SUPER happy. Once you get that all setup and tuned in it'll be time to start working on those sound treatment panels

Enjoy!!

Mike
JosephD05's Avatar JosephD05 07:16 AM 11-02-2007
Has anyone compared the 533 towers to the 633 towers? Obviosly the 633 towers are better, but how MUCH better for HT and music?
Aminopterin's Avatar Aminopterin 09:11 AM 11-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephD05 View Post

Has anyone compared the 533 towers to the 633 towers? Obviosly the 633 towers are better, but how MUCH better for HT and music?

I have not directly compared the two models yet. I do not think the 633T's are better simply on the basis that they are larger and more expensive. It is a matter of what is better for your specific application.

Choosing between these towers should be on the basis of room size if they will be used in a home theater application. If they will be mostly used for music, the 633T's will probably be better for 2 channel listening. Being a larger speaker they will have better bass extention. Depending on the type of music, the 533T's may need the help of a sub if the room size is average or bigger.

Budget is also a consderation. Not only are the 633T's more expensive, you will also have to fork out for the 6 series center channel to match if using them with a home theater. The 5 series centers can't keep up with the 633 (but it sounds great). These costs tend to add up, and going with the 533T with the 533-VAC center may be less stressfull on the budget... and you still would have a great set of speakers.

Again, in this case I don't want to say one speaker is better than the other. Tell us a little about the room these will be going into; maybe we can make a recommendation.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you more to think about.

** UPDATE: I just read a little further up the thread and noticed that you already have the 533T's with the matching center. I'm wondering why you are asking about the 633T's; were you expecting more from the 533T's? Don't forget to give them ample break-in time....

-James
JosephD05's Avatar JosephD05 09:27 AM 11-02-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminopterin View Post

I have not directly compared the two models yet. I do not think the 633T's are better simply on the basis that they are larger and more expensive. It is a matter of what is better for your specific application.

Choosing between these towers should be on the basis of room size if they will be used in a home theater application. If they will be mostly used for music, the 633T's will probably be better for 2 channel listening. Being a larger speaker they will have better bass extention. Depending on the type of music, the 533T's may need the help of a sub if the room size is average or bigger.

Budget is also a consderation. Not only are the 633T's more expensive, you will also have to fork out for the 6 series center channel to match if using them with a home theater. The 5 series centers can't keep up with the 633 (but it sounds great). These costs tend to add up, and going with the 533T with the 533-VAC center may be less stressfull on the budget... and you still would have a great set of speakers.

Again, in this case I don't want to say one speaker is better than the other. Tell us a little about the room these will be going into; maybe we can make a recommendation.

Hope that helps, or at least gives you more to think about.

** UPDATE: I just read a little further up the thread and noticed that you already have the 533T's with the matching center. I'm wondering why you are asking about the 633T's; were you expecting more from the 533T's? Don't forget to give them ample break-in time....

-James

I'm actually extremely happy with them. I'm hearing things I've never heard before. I use them for 95-99% home theater as a rarely listen to music downstairs. I just have "the bug" I guess. I'm always looking to waste money an HT equipment I don't NEED, but somes I crave. My wife isn't happy...lol. I was just asking because I will probably take advantage of the upgrade program before it's up, but that's 11 months away. I think my next step is to upgrade my surrounds. I have JBL northridge series, they do the job but I'm sure the 532 LR would sound better. I also have Paradigm cinema 90s for surround backs which I purchased a couple of months ago, no complaints there.
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs 03:05 PM 11-02-2007
Quote:

I just have "the bug" I guess. I'm always looking to waste money an HT equipment I don't NEED, but somes I crave.

Excellent...welcome to the club then!!

So, I believe the next step you should take (and James will probably back me up on this as we talk about this constantly) is to invest in some sound treatment panels. You can build your own which is the best economically or you can purchase fairly inexpensively from a site like:
www.atsacoustics.com

If you're new to the concept of sound treatment you can read up on it from Ethan Winer's excellent website (he also sells high end treatment products at www.realtraps.com) -- the info can be found at www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html.

The basic premise is that you're either missing detail because of first order reflections (and other orders but that's the big one) causing the sound to be muddied or from standing waves that cause frequencies to be nullified or to be amplified.

James purchased a first set of raw materials and hung them bachelor style in his living room and HOLY COW what a difference they made. Not only in 2 channel stereo but also in surround performance. It was AMAZING! So I'm in the process of finishing my wife's coffee table I promised her 2.5 years ago (long story) and then I'm off to buy supplies and we'll start building our panels.

Anyway, like I said -- welcome to "the club", it's a slippery slope we're on but I prefer to be the guy who slides down waving his arms in the air screaming in joy instead of frantically gripping the side trying to stop the ride

Mike
Mikeb53's Avatar Mikeb53 10:37 AM 11-05-2007
I have had the speakers (Intimus 532 Cimema) for a few months now. When I first got the system I would tweak this and adjust that and use the sound meter that came with the speakers, still never satisfied with the sound. Well my receiver came with an automatic setup mic (Onkyo 605). I ran the setup again to start from scratch, I turned up the center channel about 2 db and the surrounds about 3 db, other that that I left the settings right where the computer in the receiver set them. WOW this system sounds GREAT. The lesson learned is don't try to outthink the computer in the receiver, you can't.
shogunprophet's Avatar shogunprophet 10:45 AM 11-05-2007
Quote:

I ordered the 533VAC and 533 towers. When it arrives, I will be powering them up with a new Onkyo 805.

Can't wait to hear what you think of these. I'm considering the 633T's and 634VAC to pair with an onkyo 805.

- Jon
JosephD05's Avatar JosephD05 11:15 AM 11-05-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunprophet View Post

Can't wait to hear what you think of these. I'm considering the 633T's and 634VAC to pair with an onkyo 805.

- Jon

They sound fantastic. The clarity is unreal. If I were to use the towers without a sub for music, I would have gone with the 633Ts, but for my room size and 90% home theater use, the 533T sound amazing. I also love the 2.5 way design. Apparently they do need 50+ hours to break in a bit, but to me they sound great right from the get go. The fit and finish are also superb for this price range. I look at other ID competitors which I will not mention, and they just look so gaudy to me. These speaker are have a great Wife Approval Factor as well. I think you will be very happy with your 633Ts. These speakers are power hungry BTW, but the 805 can do the job with no problem.
pameredith's Avatar pameredith 12:36 AM 11-07-2007
What is the deal with Aperion's Subs? They are hardly ever talked about. They are not on Craigsubs list anywhere. Are they just plain old OKAY, or have they slipped through the cracks? Anyone compare them to SVS or HSU? Not sweatin' them or anything but they seem to be the standard around here.

Andy
hummer28's Avatar hummer28 07:54 AM 11-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameredith View Post

What is the deal with Aperion's Subs? They are hardly ever talked about. They are not on Craigsubs list anywhere. Are they just plain old OKAY, or have they slipped through the cracks? Anyone compare them to SVS or HSU? Not sweatin' them or anything but they seem to be the standard around here.

Andy

Pamaredith,

I can't speak to why the Aperion subs aren't mentioned that often on avs or Craigsubs list, but I've owned the S-10 and currently own an HSU VT-2 MK-3. I can tell you that the S-10 performed admirably for me for a little over two years. However, the HSU sub that I received a few weeks ago is a stellar performer. I would give a more detailed comparison if I owned the S-12 as I think it more closely matches the specs of the VT2 MK3. The Aperion subs are no slouches, but from everything I've read for over a year they would be outmatched by the HSU. As far as their other lines of speakers ..... that's a whole other argument/story
jdskycaster's Avatar jdskycaster 02:09 PM 11-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameredith View Post

Andy

My experience over the years boils down to the fact that a company specializing in subwoofer design and manufacture will "almost" always deliver a superior product at lower cost than a company that builds fine loudspeakers and offers a matching subwoofer. I cannot comment on Aperion specifically since I have not personally auditioned their subs.

Of course this is not the rule but few companies are the exception. Where this is the case is almost always exclusive to the high-end where a company is designing a subwoofer to work in a specific application with their loudspeakers.

Now, if you are the type that is looking for good performance, good price and a matching finish then I am sure the Aperion lineup offers great value. I currently have my 633T's mated to a Velodyne.

JD
pameredith's Avatar pameredith 01:17 PM 11-08-2007
can others please comment on Aperion Subs vs others. Generally speaking

Thanks

Andy
Mikeb53's Avatar Mikeb53 01:32 PM 11-08-2007
I have an Aperion sub the 10 inch model. I don't have experence with other subs but this one kicks out some serious wind !!! I have a complete Aperion system, Intimus 532 Cinema 7.1 and it really works great.
Tags: Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop