Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

I like the 422's. They are mounted on the ceiling with adjustable mounts, works out very well. I thought about the 532's as surrounds but surround sound is mainly incidental so they are not always working. Depends on the movie I guess. If you have the bucks and the space the 532's will work really well, but I like the 422's. I have a room thats about 14 by 17 open on one side to the kitchen. If you have a larger room you might want the 532's, I don't know, it's a personal choice. But again I like the 422's.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...ireCeiling.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...trightside.jpg

Those look nice Mike. I have the space and the money, but I'm just worried about how these big honkin' speakers are going to look mounted up on the ceiling like that. My room is 13' deep by 15' wide. The left side opens to a 10x10 dining area and my ceilings angle from 8' on the right to 11' on the left. I'm going to do another live chat with Aperion today and see what they say.

Oh, and I would only being doing a 5.1 setup because from what I have read, and Aperion confirmed, with my setup (couch against the back wall) I don't really gain anything going with a 7.1 setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

13 X 15 the 422's will work fine.
post #363 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

13 X 15 the 422's will work fine.

Spoke with Aperion. Since I plan on listening to music as well as movies they suggested the 532's would be better for music listening.
post #364 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswigginton View Post

Spoke with Aperion. Since I plan on listening to music as well as movies they suggested the 532's would be better for music listening.

WELL...... have you placed the order yet?
post #365 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM

I'm copying this from a thread I started (but got few replies):

I need advice for a home theater sound system. I recently got a Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD, and just ordered an HD-A35 HD-DVD player. So visuals, check. Now, I need advice on sound, which I know next to nothing about.

My room is about 14" wide, and my plasma set will go right in the middle of the wall. It is about 12" deep, so my couch will be about 11" far from the display. The ceiling is about 8" or 9" tall.

The receiver I've got my eyes on is the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. Too bad I really am only looking at it because it's aesthetically pleasing and people seem to agree that it's a great receiver. In fact, I've never even connected anything to a receiver before (plan to have friends help out with this). On a tangent, I can connect a theater system directly to the television or disc player, right?

Anyhow, let's say that I don't want to spend much more than $2000 on the speakers, unless there's a really compelling reason why an extra few hundreds bucks or so would really make such a difference.

Does anyone have any advice? Broad notes such as where to focus my attention, brands, how speaker setups work in general etc. and narrow notes (specific models) would both be appreciated.

I've looked at Aperion Audio systems, and they seem quite affordable. But almost too affordable. Since this is an Aperion thread, I was wondering if people could give a brief list of models to note from this brand...I'm looking at two towers in the front, smaller speakers in the back.
post #366 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatefodder View Post

I'm copying this from a thread I started (but got few replies):

I need advice for a home theater sound system. I recently got a Pioneer Elite PRO-150FD, and just ordered an HD-A35 HD-DVD player. So visuals, check. Now, I need advice on sound, which I know next to nothing about.

My room is about 14" wide, and my plasma set will go right in the middle of the wall. It is about 12" deep, so my couch will be about 11" far from the display. The ceiling is about 8" or 9" tall.

The receiver I've got my eyes on is the Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH. Too bad I really am only looking at it because it's aesthetically pleasing and people seem to agree that it's a great receiver. In fact, I've never even connected anything to a receiver before (plan to have friends help out with this). On a tangent, I can connect a theater system directly to the television or disc player, right?

Anyhow, let's say that I don't want to spend much more than $2000 on the speakers, unless there's a really compelling reason why an extra few hundreds bucks or so would really make such a difference.

Does anyone have any advice? Broad notes such as where to focus my attention, brands, how speaker setups work in general etc. and narrow notes (specific models) would both be appreciated.

I've looked at Aperion Audio systems, and they seem quite affordable. But almost too affordable. Since this is an Aperion thread, I was wondering if people could give a brief list of models to note from this brand...I'm looking at two towers in the front, smaller speakers in the back.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...,29,36,73.aspx
post #367 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I agree,
You should be impressed with the 533T system in your space. The center is killer for the money. If you don't like it send it back - but I doubt you will

JD
post #368 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 PM

I like what I see from that link (thanks, MikeB53!). I was wondering if investing a little more in the center or the subwoofer (some friends are emphasizing those two parts) would be worth it, or if the pieces included in that link are up to snuff.
post #369 of 6970 Old 12-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I have the S10 and the 533AV and the 532's. My room is about the size of yours 14X17 and they seem to fill the room with with a great smooth sound. Perfect for movies. More than once I've jumped while watching a DVD on the TV, and it's not just the sub it's the surround speakers too.
post #370 of 6970 Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM

I've been considering a 5.1 setup (5-series bookshelves), but because of their (much) higher WAF, I'm now considering a 5.1 setup made of 5 632-IW in-walls along with the 10" sub. Room size is 15x20x9.

Has anybody compared the 532-LR with the 632-IW?
post #371 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Oh, and I would only being doing a 5.1 setup because from what I have read, and Aperion confirmed, with my setup (couch against the back wall) I don't really gain anything going with a 7.1 setup.

Where do you put your surround speakers in this setup- in the corners of the back wall facing towards the tv, on the side walls facing the sides of the couch or somewhere else?
post #372 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd55555 View Post

Where do you put your surround speakers in this setup- in the corners of the back wall facing towards the tv, on the side walls facing the sides of the couch or somewhere else?

I'm new to all of this so please take that into consideration. I have done a fair bit of research though. I ultimately decided to mount mine at the sides where they are intended. Unfortunately for me that means ceiling mounting them since I have no wall on the left side. I was told my Aperion that it should be fine as long as I angle them down into the listening area. They also said the rear wall would work as well. I think ultimately it comes down to what you can get away with and what sounds best to you.

My receiver arrives today, and my surrounds tomorrow. So I'll post my opinions after I get everything hooked up and get to listen to them.
post #373 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Chris, if you decide to set up the Onkyo 705 using the Audessey auto EQ, be aware that it will automatically set your speakers to "full range" -- which you don't want since you have the S-10 for bass duty. After you save the auto setup, though, you can go back into the speaker setup menu and manually change the crossovers to 80Hz without screwing up any of the other calibration factors. Also turn Double Bass off.

Caleb at Aperion walked me through this with my own 3.1 setup, and the difference is night and day. I haven't got my surrounds (422s) up yet, as I need to do some wall surgery, but even without them the receiver does a pretty good job of faking 5.1 in "Theater-Dimensional" listening mode.
post #374 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

Chris, if you decide to set up the Onkyo 705 using the Audessey auto EQ, be aware that it will automatically set your speakers to "full range" -- which you don't want since you have the S-10 for bass duty. After you save the auto setup, though, you can go back into the speaker setup menu and manually change the crossovers to 80Hz without screwing up any of the other calibration factors. Also turn Double Bass off.

Caleb at Aperion walked me through this with my own 3.1 setup, and the difference is night and day.

Great! Thanks for the heads up. I can use all the help I can get. This home theatre stuff is more than I bargained for. I just wanted to get myself a nice TV for my birthday. That went from a 40" LCD to a 60" SXRD. Then I needed furniture for it, an HD source (OTA and PS3), and audio components. When you tally it all up I have spent almost $7,000! Wow, I didn't realize it was that much.

Anyway, sorry, I went off on a tangent there.
post #375 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah. One thing does tend to lead to another! My wife thinks I'm insane, toeing the speakers in and out a quarter inch at a time while arseing around with the SPL meter Aperion kindly packed in with the manuals.

If you have any questions while setting up, definitely call their toll-free number or use the live chat on the Web site. Everyone there seems very keen to help you get the most out of your new gear.
post #376 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

Yeah. One thing does tend to lead to another! My wife thinks I'm insane, toeing the speakers in and out a quarter inch at a time while arseing around with the SPL meter Aperion kindly packed in with the manuals.

If you have any questions while setting up, definitely call their toll-free number or use the live chat on the Web site. Everyone there seems very keen to help you get the most out of your new gear.

Haha...yeah I think my friends get upset with me because I will adjust the settings on the TV a few times through the course of a movie, trying to get the settings just right.

I've used the live chat a few times now. It has been a tremendous help. I'm sure I'll be back on there a few more times before this is all over.
post #377 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 AM

[quote=chriswigginton;12458300]I'm new to all of this so please take that into consideration. QUOTE]

I'm probably where you were a few weeks ago so any advice from what you picked up along the way would be great.

I guess one of the first things I am looking at is figuring out if there is any one area of the basic 422 system that is a must-upgrade. I'd like to keep cost down as much as possible but would still like to hear opinions. Room size is average, with the couch against the back wall setup, music not really important. I haven't really had anything beyond a basic htib, so I'm guessing that I will see a good improvement no matter what package I end up with.
post #378 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 09:31 AM

What I picked up is that if you are listening to music as well as movies you are probably better off with the 5 Series since they will give a fuller sound. I'm sure the 4 Series is really good too though. I had the money and the space so I went with the 5 series. I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I'm single too, so I need to take advantage of it now...no WAF for me...yet.
post #379 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd55555 View Post

Found this in the FAQ on Aperion:

Quote:
Here is a list of the most common problems when it comes to surround sound. Also be sure to check Aperion University course, "Multi-Channel Speaker Placement" - The ideal placement of your left and right surrounds in a 5.1 configuration is:

1. Along the side walls
2. About 1 - 3 foot behind the listening position
3. About 3.5 - 6 feet above the floor (somewhere between ear level and 3 feet above ear level)
4. Symmetrically placed (equidistant), in relation to the listener(s)

If this isn't a possibility, you want to try and re-create that scenario as best you can. Ideally you want the tweeter of each surround speaker to be hitting just behind and above the listening position. There are a few ways to accomplish this -

1. Placement - Purchase wall mounts that allow you to tilt and aim the surround speakers toward the ideal position. If you don't have sidewalls, you can place the speakers behind you, via the back wall or ceiling. Wall or ceiling mounts can help you position them so that they "feel" like the sound is coming from the ideal location. Most importantly, you're looking for symmetry in your placement. If you can't wall or ceiling mount, then try a pair of speaker stands.

2. Level - Generally you'll want the volume of each surround speaker to be the same as the rest of your speakers. Use an SPL meter (or just your own ear) and your receiver settings to adjust the level of each speaker to make sure they're all at the same volume.

3. Distance - Make sure to go through your receiver's speaker distance settings. If you don't enter the correct distance of each speaker (in relation to the listener) into your receiver, you'll get an unbalanced sound.

4. Speaker type - If you're forced to be very close to the surround speaker, i.e. if the speaker is mounted to the back wall and your couch is up against the same back wall), you''ll probably be better off with an in-wall or in-ceiling speaker. Or for a more dispersed, natural sound, try a dipole-bipole speaker.

In some cases you may need to try a different type of surround speaker. Every ear is different so we encourage you to experiment until it sounds right to you.

post #380 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 01:37 PM

Wondering if anyone can give me some help I don't quite know what my budget is right now (It'll depend heavily on...Christmas gifts, bonuses, etc.) I'm thinking three tiers either $700-800, $1000-1200, or $1500 to spend on some Aperion 5.1 Speakers. Using an Onkyo 605..I'm trying to stay away from Sattellite and bookshelf speakers as 1) I'm trying to get the best sound possible and 2) my girlfriend thinks Bookshelf front speakers are ugly yet doesn't mindfloor standing ones as long as they "look nice". Anyway wanted to see what people would recommend. Primarily watch movies, cable, and play video games. Thank You.

~G
post #381 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

For $1,500 you can get 533 tower fronts and the matching center, an S8 sub and 422 surrounds. That will make you very happy and look nice for the GF, too. If you want to trim the budget to around $1000, get three 532 bookshelf speakers up front and just deal with the decor objections, which will probably diminish once she hears how good they sound.

Either system should work well in any normal-sized room. There's a useful system builder on Aperion's web site that lets you play around with your various options.
post #382 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM

I wanted to go with towers originally, but they just didn't work with my setup. They ended up being too high.
post #383 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 02:52 PM

My aperion speakers finally arrived. They are beautiful. A full, rich sound with clear and crisp reproduction. But still need some time to break them in.
LL
LL
LL
post #384 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Very nice! Sub sounds ok over there in the corner? I keep reading that the corners are a bad place to put subs.
post #385 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan15 View Post

My aperion speakers finally arrived. They are beautiful. A full, rich sound with clear and crisp reproduction. But still need some time to break them in.

Looks nice to me. Which type are these?
~G
post #386 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 04:55 PM

They are 533T, 532VAC, S10 and 422LR.
post #387 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Are those IKEA Besta units?
post #388 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

They are 533T, 532VAC, S10 and 422LR.

How big is your room? I'm toying with the idea of going from an S8 to an S10. Upgrade-itis is a terrible affliction.
post #389 of 6970 Old 12-11-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Are those IKEA Besta units?

yes, they are ikea besta unit.
post #390 of 6970 Old 12-12-2007, 07:39 AM

So I got my receiver (Onkyo 705) and speakers setup last night (3.1 for now...surrounds arrive today). I have to say they sound just as good as they look. Definitely money well spent.

I have the S-10 sub. Gain on the back is set to about 1/3 as per Aperion manual. When I run Onkyo's calibration tool it sets my sub at -15dB. I bumped it up to -12dB. But I can't help but wonder if this means the S-10 was too much sub for my space. Are these normal settings?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page