post #4111 of 6966 Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGuySansTV View Post

Thanks for the link; wasn't sure if those mounts were compatible with the mounting hardware on the 5DB. Ceiling mount is idea for me, since I don't even have 7 foot ceilings in my wee little basement theater room!

Cool, just mount them directly to the sides of your listening area if you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4112 of 6966 Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

doesnt look like that will work, seems like the speaker is sitting on the tv stand. is your speaker sitting on the tv stand orsome sort of separate platform?

But he could cut out a riser with the same footprint as the TV base, leaving room hopefully in the front for the speaker. I am about to face the same problem I think. but with ~6inches of rise needed.
post #4113 of 6966 Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:

But he could cut out a riser with the same footprint as the TV base, leaving room hopefully in the front for the speaker. I am about to face the same problem I think. but with ~6inches of rise needed.

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The TV is on a speaker stand, so raising the TV without the stand is not an option. The extra 3" of depth on the 6C would exclude placement in front of the TV since my cabinet isn't deep enough for both the speaker and the TV stand. This also rules out placing the TV stand on a riser. Hicks ruled out placing it above the TV, as then all center channel sound would come from above. Probably great for watching religious programming, but not good for much else Ultimately, it sounds like the speaker's got to stay where it is, so the TV has to move. I'll just have to get my upgrade-itis under control for now, and stick with the 5C (which has been a perfectly great speaker) and reevaluate if I find a good TV stand.
post #4114 of 6966 Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NChmiel View Post

Thanks everyone for all the advice. The TV is on a speaker stand, so raising the TV without the stand is not an option. The extra 3" of depth on the 6C would exclude placement in front of the TV since my cabinet isn't deep enough for both the speaker and the TV stand. This also rules out placing the TV stand on a riser. Hicks ruled out placing it above the TV, as then all center channel sound would come from above. Probably great for watching religious programming, but not good for much else Ultimately, it sounds like the speaker's got to stay where it is, so the TV has to move. I'll just have to get my upgrade-itis under control for now, and stick with the 5C (which has been a perfectly great speaker) and reevaluate if I find a good TV stand.

OK, what about a hollow riser (upside-down U) which allows the rear of the speaker to rest under the TV. Google just found me exactly what I was thinking of:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/t...ey69/Riser.jpg
post #4115 of 6966 Old 05-15-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:

OK, what about a hollow riser (upside-down U) which allows the rear of the speaker to rest under the TV. Google just found me exactly what I was thinking of:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/t...ey69/Riser.jpg

Only other solution I can think of is one of those stands with the shelves and the tv mount built onto to it. something Like http://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/Bodie..._Mount.jpg=600 That would work well with what you have pictured, if budget allows. That kind of set up should give youenough room for everything and allow youto position it all properly. Just 2 more cents I found in the sofa cushions.
post #4116 of 6966 Old 05-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm about 90% sure I'm placing an order with a weeks time. With my room size of 23x13.5 are the 6 series the right choice?and most importantly, will my onkyo 805 be able to power these beasts at a good volume? I really like to crank it up during blu Ray watching.

Thanks again,
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Wow you guys had a party in here last night!

We don't use it here at Aperion HQ, but some people like the way it makes our speakers sound.

Since their ideal height is 5-7 feet off the ground in most rooms wall mounting will be ideal, but if you have to ceiling mount them you can use this Omni ceiling mount:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...59,40,165.aspx

I like PGSTV's idea of raising the TV up a bit with a small platform of some sort. But since you can't angle the 6C down (at least I'm not aware of a pivot mount that will hold it) I wouldn't advise you to mount it above the TV, most of the sound would go over your head.

I've never heard those particular Bostons, but I can tell you that the 6T/6C/5DB combo is one of the best that we offer and makes for an outstanding set up.

Just looking at the Bostons on paper, I can tell you that you probably won't get as much bass out of our 6Ts since the VR 960s have powered 8"s, but that shouldn't really matter since you have the SVS sub. Also, the mids from the 6Ts should be quite a bit fuller since it's two 6.5"s as compared with one 4.5". I don't see what material they were using for their woofers back then, but the tweeters are aluminum in your Bostons which tend to sound brighter than the silk dome tweeters that we use.

But the bottom line is that we give you the 30 day trial and even cover return shipping should you decide to send anything back, so there's really no risk for you to give them a shot and see how they stack up against your current speakers.

Hope that helps!

post #4117 of 6966 Old 05-15-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
I evened out my speakers with the Aperion SPL meter after I ran Audyssey. I usually set the meter at the 70 range and ran speakers with the white noise from the 3808ci @ 75db. For a change this time I set @ the 80 range and @ 85db,... I have to admit the 6Ts across the front really like this setting.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #4118 of 6966 Old 05-16-2010, 09:11 AM

Liked: 11
Does Aperions website no longer offer discounts on scratch and dent or b-stock speakers? I see they have a warehouse sale, but I don't live OR so can't take advantage of this. I swear at one time there was a area on their website for this. Thanks.
post #4119 of 6966 Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Give them a call and ask what B stock they have

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #4120 of 6966 Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Does Aperions website no longer offer discounts on scratch and dent or b-stock speakers? I see they have a warehouse sale, but I don't live OR so can't take advantage of this. I swear at one time there was a area on their website for this. Thanks.

You have to call and ask.... most if not all my Aperion set up is b-stock. (although they look brand new). Great way to save a few $$
post #4121 of 6966 Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Hicks and all my fellow HT lovers! I have stumbled apon the Aperion systems while browsing through lots of google searches for some well sounding HT systems and alot of ppl seem to love their Aperions. My problem is that I just don't know how large of a setup I should get.

I would hate to buy something where I'm just urking for a little more umph, a little louder/more powerfull. I don't intend to crank it up to the max, I just want my movies to sound breathtaking, the way a movie was meant to sound. I want to feel submerged in movie, not overpowered by it.

Anyway, my HT spot will be a 14' x 10.5' x 6.5' dedicated movie room in the basement. I plan on doing some acoustic enhancements to the room (carpeted walls, etc.) to make the speakers sound the way they were intended to sound. I just don't know what will be enough.

I don't really have a budget per say, but it's either going to be a 4, 4/5 setup or a straight 5 setup, all with the 10D. I plan on using these for watching DVD's and the occasional Blu-Ray, so buying these for music listening is not a concern of mine.

So in the end, I just want my system to be stronger and more intense than your local movie theater but not overwhelming by the volume.

Sorry for the long post, but better to lay down all my thoughts now :-)

Thanks in advance
post #4122 of 6966 Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Chris View Post

Hi Hicks and all my fellow HT lovers! I have stumbled apon the Aperion systems while browsing through lots of google searches for some well sounding HT systems and alot of ppl seem to love their Aperions. My problem is that I just don't know how large of a setup I should get.

I would hate to buy something where I'm just urking for a little more umph, a little louder/more powerfull. I don't intend to crank it up to the max, I just want my movies to sound breathtaking, the way a movie was meant to sound. I want to feel submerged in movie, not overpowered by it.

Anyway, my HT spot will be a 14' x 10.5' x 6.5' dedicated movie room in the basement. I plan on doing some acoustic enhancements to the room (carpeted walls, etc.) to make the speakers sound the way they were intended to sound. I just don't know what will be enough.

I don't really have a budget per say, but it's either going to be a 4, 4/5 setup or a straight 5 setup, all with the 10D. I plan on using these for watching DVD's and the occasional Blu-Ray, so buying these for music listening is not a concern of mine.

So in the end, I just want my system to be stronger and more intense than your local movie theater but not overwhelming by the volume.

Thanks in advance

Go all 5s, Do it once, do it right you won't regret it. Of course all of their speakers sound incredible so it's up to you in the end.

I have a pretty small room and went for all 6s

Xbox LIVE Tag: D O N K E R

Playstation Network Tag: DONKER

Wii number 1548 - 0387 - 3348 - 3546

Proud Aperion owner!!

post #4123 of 6966 Old 05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankir View Post

Go all 5s, Do it once, do it right you won't regret it. Of course all of their speakers sound incredible so it's up to you in the end.

I have a pretty small room and went for all 6s

I just was checking out your home theater pics. It looks like you are ready for an apocalypse with all those snacks. Do you have a generator? That whole room will be useless without electricity.

I can envision you in the basement with no electricity grunting and yelling while ripping open the snack bags with your teeth.

oopps sorry those aren't snacks, they are toys............. still can't get the picture of someone ripping open bags of snacks in a dark basement out of my mind!!!
post #4124 of 6966 Old 05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwheels View Post

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm about 90% sure I'm placing an order with a weeks time. With my room size of 23x13.5 are the 6 series the right choice?and most importantly, will my onkyo 805 be able to power these beasts at a good volume? I really like to crank it up during blu Ray watching.

Thanks again,
Jeff

The 805 is a fairly legendary receiver with regards to it's build quality and bang for the buck factor, and our 6 series speakers are actually the easiest to drive since they are the most sensitive speakers we make, so that should be a great combo. If it were me I'd stick with the 6C and 5DBs for your set up, but you could probably get away with the 5Ts for your fronts without sacrificing too much in the way of sound if you are looking to save some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorz View Post

Unfortunately that section of the site was not working properly. We hope to have it up again soon, but for now please give us a call at 888-880-8992 and we will be happy to tell you what we have on hand, thanks!

Quote:

Thanks in advance

If it were me I'd probably go 5B/5C/4BP/10D, the 5Bs as fronts integrate with the sub a bit better since they have more bass and the 4BP will give you a better surround effect than either the 4B or 5B, especially if you can place them at their ideal height of five to seven feet off the ground.

Hope that helps!
post #4125 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply's! Now, the one thing I forgot to mention was that I was leaning toward the Towers for the front L/R's because I love the look of a full speaker. If you recommended the 5B, would the 4T do just as well with the mid bass even with it's smaller woofers? Or should I just stick with the 5B?

Also, out of curiosity, why do the centers run in 8 ohms but the rest run in 6 ohms?

Thanks alot
post #4126 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 06:47 AM

I am using 5T fronts, a 5C center and a 10D subwoofer. Recently upgraded my AVR to the Onkyo 5007. I am considering adding some height speakers to my setup and am looking for recommendations. Thanks

Lee Mathre

THX Certified Professional
ISF Certified Calibrator
Las Vegas, NV

post #4127 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemathre View Post

I am using 5T fronts, a 5C center and a 10D subwoofer. Recently upgraded my AVR to the Onkyo 5007. I am considering adding some height speakers to my setup and am looking for recommendations. Thanks

Is there any source material that includes height effects ? I suspect, like 7.1, that source material with height effect will be quite rare.

Sean
post #4128 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:

You would probably do fine with 4Bs, or maybe go with a couple of 4Cs!

Cheers
post #4129 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply's! Now, the one thing I forgot to mention was that I was leaning toward the Towers for the front L/R's because I love the look of a full speaker. If you recommended the 5B, would the 4T do just as well with the mid bass even with it's smaller woofers? Or should I just stick with the 5B?

Also, out of curiosity, why do the centers run in 8 ohms but the rest run in 6 ohms?

Thanks alot

The 4T blows the 5B away in terms of midrange fullness and bass extension, so if you like the way it looks better then go for it.

As for the impedance, the short answer is that we design them to sound the way we want and then take an impedance reading toward the end of the process. As long as they don't come out below 6 ohms then we roll with it.

Keep in mind that nominal impedance is just an average value and in reality the impedance of the speaker is not even close to static and will widely vary across the frequency spectrum.

In any case both the 5C and 6C are both rated at 6 ohms.

Quote:

I'd recommend the 4BPs, I think the broader soundfield that they provide would lend themselves to the height channel effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post

Is there any source material that includes height effects ? I suspect, like 7.1, that source material with height effect will be quite rare.

The height channel is not encoded on the disc, it is matrixed out by receivers that have the ProLogic IIz feature.
post #4130 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The height channel is not encoded on the disc, it is matrixed out by receivers that have the ProLogic IIz feature.

If that be the case and there are no plans to include height channel data on the disc, it would not be worthwhile to me. I think you would be giving up too much... sacrificing/degrading the original HD soundtrack just for the height effect.

Sean
post #4131 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 12:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I will take a look at the 4Bs, Cs and BPs.

Lee Mathre

ISF Certified Calibrator
Las Vegas, NV

post #4132 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:

If that be the case and there are no plans to include height channel data on the disc, it would not be worthwhile to me. I think you would be giving up too much... sacrificing/degrading the original HD soundtrack just for the height effect.

As Hicks pointed out it is not encoded in the soundtrack but derived and tends to be rather subtle from what I have read. It is not common in most movies but when it is rendered (The hurt Locker, Ratatouille) it is very impressive.

Cheers
post #4133 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaudio View Post

As Hicks pointed out it is not encoded in the soundtrack but derived and tends to be rather subtle from what I have read. It is not common in most movies but when it is rendered (The hurt Locker, Ratatouille) it is very impressive.

Cheers

Again, when you use the word "rendered" or "derived" it sounds gimmicky and I would expect that you have to give up something to get the height channels. If the soundtrack is DTS HD (which the majority of BD's seem to be) for instance, will this derived Dolby effect leave the original 5.1 audio track intact and untouched ?

Sean
post #4134 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 4T blows the 5B away in terms of midrange fullness and bass extension, so if you like the way it looks better then go for it.

As for the impedance, the short answer is that we design them to sound the way we want and then take an impedance reading toward the end of the process. As long as they don't come out below 6 ohms then we roll with it.

Keep in mind that nominal impedance is just an average value and in reality the impedance of the speaker is not even close to static and will widely vary across the frequency spectrum.

In any case both the 5C and 6C are both rated at 6 ohms.

Sorry, I mis-typed that. I meant why are the surrounds rated at 8 ohms? Either way I understand what you mean

Thanks!!
post #4135 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 09:30 PM

ooooh! my Aperions arrive on Saturday. 5B/5C/5DB to go head-to-head with an Axiom M22/VP150/QS8 set, due to arrive tomorrow.

Very excited to do some listening.
post #4136 of 6966 Old 05-18-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:

ooooh! my Aperions arrive on Saturday. 5B/5C/5DB to go head-to-head with an Axiom M22/VP150/QS8 set, due to arrive tomorrow.

Keep us posted on the head-to-head.
post #4137 of 6966 Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:

Having once decided between a set of Aperions and Axioms myself and deciding to get the Aperions first and ultimately keeping them because I really liked what I heard, I would be very interested to hear your comparisons of one set to the other.
post #4138 of 6966 Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Again, when you use the word "rendered" or "derived" it sounds gimmicky and I would expect that you have to give up something to get the height channels. If the soundtrack is DTS HD (which the majority of BD's seem to be) for instance, will this derived Dolby effect leave the original 5.1 audio track intact and untouched ?

First I have to say that I have not heard the height channels myself. I have however read several reviews about it because I find it to be very interesting and I think it has potential to add much to the experience. I personally believe I would go with 5.1 with height instead of 7.1 if I was ready to grow my system (i.e. had more money).

It is my understanding that this height effect does not take anything away from the original sound channels. What it does is monitor the sound going to all the channels and if a sound is going to all, except sub, it will also route it to the height speakers if it passes other proprietary criteria.

Like I said before, it is pretty subtle but as a example one reviewer mentioned that in a movie it was raining and with the height speakers it made the rain on the roof in the movie sound like it was actually falling on his roof. Pretty immersive that.

Cheers
post #4139 of 6966 Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I took Jason's suggestion and ordered a pair of 4BPs. Looking forward to adding them to my setup. Thanks

Lee Mathre

ISF Certified Calibrator
Las Vegas, NV

post #4140 of 6966 Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I took Jason's suggestion and ordered a pair of 4BPs. Looking forward to adding them to my setup. Thanks

Cool, let us know how they work out if you get a chance, thanks!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page