AVS Forum banner
975K views 8K replies 994 participants last post by  Brian2109 
#1 ·
I've been hanging out here for couple of months and I did not see an official thread for Aperion. I have heard so much about them, and they are all positive. I currently own Athena Point5 and Mirage S12, but thinking to upgrade to Aperions.

I find very few Aperion threads scattered here and thought will start an official one.

I am planning to get 633T/634VAC and 534 SS next year and working on my budget. Any info's on Aperions would be great

#378 ·
What I picked up is that if you are listening to music as well as movies you are probably better off with the 5 Series since they will give a fuller sound. I'm sure the 4 Series is really good too though. I had the money and the space so I went with the 5 series. I'd rather err on the side of too much than not enough. I'm single too, so I need to take advantage of it now...no WAF for me...yet.

#379 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddddd55555 /forum/post/12457986

Where do you put your surround speakers in this setup- in the corners of the back wall facing towards the tv, on the side walls facing the sides of the couch or somewhere else?

Found this in the FAQ on Aperion:

Quote:
Here is a list of the most common problems when it comes to surround sound. Also be sure to check Aperion University course, "Multi-Channel Speaker Placement" - The ideal placement of your left and right surrounds in a 5.1 configuration is:

1. Along the side walls

2. About 1 - 3 foot behind the listening position

3. About 3.5 - 6 feet above the floor (somewhere between ear level and 3 feet above ear level)

4. Symmetrically placed (equidistant), in relation to the listener(s)

If this isn't a possibility, you want to try and re-create that scenario as best you can. Ideally you want the tweeter of each surround speaker to be hitting just behind and above the listening position. There are a few ways to accomplish this -

1. Placement - Purchase wall mounts that allow you to tilt and aim the surround speakers toward the ideal position. If you don't have sidewalls, you can place the speakers behind you, via the back wall or ceiling. Wall or ceiling mounts can help you position them so that they "feel" like the sound is coming from the ideal location. Most importantly, you're looking for symmetry in your placement. If you can't wall or ceiling mount, then try a pair of speaker stands.

2. Level - Generally you'll want the volume of each surround speaker to be the same as the rest of your speakers. Use an SPL meter (or just your own ear) and your receiver settings to adjust the level of each speaker to make sure they're all at the same volume.

3. Distance - Make sure to go through your receiver's speaker distance settings. If you don't enter the correct distance of each speaker (in relation to the listener) into your receiver, you'll get an unbalanced sound.

4. Speaker type - If you're forced to be very close to the surround speaker, i.e. if the speaker is mounted to the back wall and your couch is up against the same back wall), you''ll probably be better off with an in-wall or in-ceiling speaker. Or for a more dispersed, natural sound, try a dipole-bipole speaker.

In some cases you may need to try a different type of surround speaker. Every ear is different so we encourage you to experiment until it sounds right to you.

#380 ·
Wondering if anyone can give me some help I don't quite know what my budget is right now (It'll depend heavily on...Christmas gifts, bonuses, etc.) I'm thinking three tiers either $700-800, $1000-1200, or $1500 to spend on some Aperion 5.1 Speakers. Using an Onkyo 605..I'm trying to stay away from Sattellite and bookshelf speakers as 1) I'm trying to get the best sound possible and 2) my girlfriend thinks Bookshelf front speakers are ugly yet doesn't mindfloor standing ones as long as they "look nice". Anyway wanted to see what people would recommend. Primarily watch movies, cable, and play video games. Thank You.

~G

#381 ·
For $1,500 you can get 533 tower fronts and the matching center, an S8 sub and 422 surrounds. That will make you very happy and look nice for the GF, too. If you want to trim the budget to around $1000, get three 532 bookshelf speakers up front and just deal with the decor objections, which will probably diminish once she hears how good they sound.

Either system should work well in any normal-sized room. There's a useful system builder on Aperion's web site that lets you play around with your various options.

#390 ·
So I got my receiver (Onkyo 705) and speakers setup last night (3.1 for now...surrounds arrive today). I have to say they sound just as good as they look. Definitely money well spent.

I have the S-10 sub. Gain on the back is set to about 1/3 as per Aperion manual. When I run Onkyo's calibration tool it sets my sub at -15dB. I bumped it up to -12dB. But I can't help but wonder if this means the S-10 was too much sub for my space. Are these normal settings?

#392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspin2k1 /forum/post/12468576

I was planning to do something similar, as I really wanted floor standing speakers in front, but i wasn't sure if you got the 422s in the back if it would throw off the speaker matching..but no problems?

~G

You should really try out Aperion's live chat. They are extremely helpful. I've been on there several times. Not saying someone here can't or shouldn't help you, but just offering another resource.

#393 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswigginton /forum/post/12468374

I have the S-10 sub. Gain on the back is set to about 1/3 as per Aperion manual. When I run Onkyo's calibration tool it sets my sub at -15dB. I bumped it up to -12dB. But I can't help but wonder if this means the S-10 was too much sub for my space. Are these normal settings?

The Onkyo sets the trim on my little S-8 too low for my taste, too. I think the Audessey software is just excessively polite.

Rule of thumb is you don't want more than about 10dB relative variance between your sub and your fronts, I believe.

#394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch /forum/post/12469236

The Onkyo sets the trim on my smaller S-8 too low for my taste, too. I think the Audessey software is just excessively polite.

Rule of thumb is you don't want more than about 10dB relative variance between your sub and your fronts, I believe.

I spoke with Jason Hicks at Aperion. Apparently Audessey is known for setting the sub levels too low. He suggested I set it to like -7dB or -3dB. I'll try that tonight when I get home. Ultimately though it comes down to what sounds best to you in your space.

I guess I was just wondering if I could have gotten away with the S-8.

#395 ·
Ok - after much searching i ordered and delivered today are 2 533-T's, the S-10 and 634VAC to hook up to my Denon 2808. It'll be replacing my Bose AM-15's but the 534SS' are on backorder until February

Looking forward to hooking them up to see how it works w/the receiver and my 73" Mitzy.

#397 ·
Well, I thought I'd wave hello as the newest member of the Aperion family. My venerable, 20-year old JBL's finally died (the speaker cones literally came off), and the el-cheapo freebie surrounds and center I had for 10 years just weren't doing it anymore. And I never even had a sub. So my darling wife suggested that we get something of good quality, built to last, for Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

These speakers sure fit that bill! I got the 532 Cinema package: 532-LR mains, 533-VAC center, 422 surrounds, and the S-10 sub. I never knew what I was missing! I've had them about a week, and they sounded great out of the box. I'm not sure what improvement I would honestly be able to tell after the break-in period. Honestly, it's a night-and-day experience. MY wife was shocked by the difference in sound quality. She asked me why I hadn't bought these before!

Thanks to the folks here! I found out about the Aperion brand from these forums, and decided to go with them based on the positive comments I heard here. So, thanks everyone! Once again, AVS has given me more than I can give back, but I will continue to try.

Thanks again!

BW

#399 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm2005GT /forum/post/12501695

Well, I thought I'd wave hello as the newest member of the Aperion family. My venerable, 20-year old JBL's finally died (the speaker cones literally came off), and the el-cheapo freebie surrounds and center I had for 10 years just weren't doing it anymore. And I never even had a sub. So my darling wife suggested that we get something of good quality, built to last, for Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

These speakers sure fit that bill! I got the 532 Cinema package: 532-LR mains, 533-VAC center, 422 surrounds, and the S-10 sub. I never knew what I was missing! I've had them about a week, and they sounded great out of the box. I'm not sure what improvement I would honestly be able to tell after the break-in period. Honestly, it's a night-and-day experience. MY wife was shocked by the difference in sound quality. She asked me why I hadn't bought these before!

Thanks to the folks here! I found out about the Aperion brand from these forums, and decided to go with them based on the positive comments I heard here. So, thanks everyone! Once again, AVS has given me more than I can give back, but I will continue to try.

Thanks again!

BW

Any chance you got to test how they sound with video games?

~G

#401 ·
and could not be happier. Movies and Music sound excellent. I have 2 633 T's, 1 634 Center, 2 634's surrounds and 2 532's for the back surrounds to finish my 7.1 set-up. Have a Klipsch 12" sub. (Kept the sub from my previous 5.1 set-up). All is running through a Denon 3808ci A/V receiver and I just hooked up a Toshiba A35 HD player. All I can say is wow. Watched HD movies yesterday King Kong in Dolby Digital + Dolby II and it sounded like the Ape was coming through our back walls. Have listened at Klipsch 5.1 at a friends house he had reference series like twice as much of a set-up and the dialogue was not as crisp as the Aperions. I have not missed a word or sound with this setup. Would recommend Aperions to anyone wanting to try a great speaker for home theatre and if you do not like you can send back on their charge.