*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 165 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4921 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
spiritfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

Ah! It's tough waiting for my Verus Grands!

When I ordered the tower and the center speakers last month, the delivery date was 2/15, but now it was pushed out to 3/25! Hey, Jason, can you check to see if my delivery date can be moved up? I have the same aperion user name. Thanks.

I have been busy upgrading my HT systems. My system will have
- APC H10BLK power conditioner
- Denon avr-4311ci (delivery: next week)
- Emotiva xpa-5 (delivery: 2/15)
- SVS PB-13 Ultra (delivery: today )
- Aperion Verus Grands and center (delivery: ??)
- Samsung 67A750 DLP (great PQ, will keep)
- PS3
- Apple TV 2

Down the road, a pair of Verus dipole (when they come out) or Verus bookshelf for the surround, and maybe 4 more bookshelfs for the wides and highs.

What speakers would be better for the surrounds: dipole or bookshelf? I know THX requires dipoles, but Audyseey seems to say monopoles. I think one is better for movies and the other is better for musics. Personally, I spend equal amount of time on TV, movie, and music.

I called them about that and they have a new date for new orders but the first shipment is still planned to arrive the beginning of March--so give them a call--I talked to Matt about my order and I should be getting mine from the first shipment.

Looks like we have both been busy. Still haven't decided on a sub yet, I have an Onkyo 808 and am also interested in the dipoles to go with VGTs and Center. I just added an Apple TV to my Samsung 6800 LCD and 6500 Blu Ray.

Bob

spiritfox is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4922 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've been auditioning tower speakers for a couple of weeks now and I really enjoyed the B&W 684. But I've been very impressed with all of the reviews and comments here about the Aperion line. I think I've decided to get the Verus Forte towers and center. The small footprint from the towers is a big deal for me right now. I think that that may change in the near future, but I love the upgrade program. I have to admit that I'm a little nervous because they are so new. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm excited!

Edit: I currently have a Onkyo 608, should I keep this or upgrade? Thanks.

hogues is offline  
post #4923 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay on the Verus shipments, believe me it is just as frustrating for you as it is for me.

So here's the deal:

If you ordered in the black finish before last week you are good for the first shipment. That has been pushed back slightly but should be here by 3/7 or a couple days earlier.

However in the cherry finish no matter when you placed your order the Verus Grand Towers will be shipping on 3/25.

Again I apologize for the delay but I think when they do show up it will be worth the wait.

In the meantime, thank you to everyone who has placed orders and for bearing with us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

I've been auditioning tower speakers for a couple of weeks now and I really enjoyed the B&W 684. But I've been very impressed with all of the reviews and comments here about the Aperion line. I think I've decided to get the Verus Forte towers and center. The small footprint from the towers is a big deal for me right now. I think that that may change in the near future, but I love the upgrade program. I have to admit that I'm a little nervous because they are so new. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm excited!

Indeed please let us know what you think of them and thanks for the order!
Hicks is offline  
post #4924 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
Edit: I currently have a Onkyo 608, should I keep this or upgrade? Thanks.
How big is the room you'll be putting them into?
Hicks is offline  
post #4925 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
How big is the room you'll be putting them into?
Well, right now it's about 15 by 17. I'm going to remodel soon and I expect it to grow to about 17 or 18 by 20.

hogues is offline  
post #4926 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post
Well, right now it's about 15 by 17. I'm going to remodel soon and I expect it to grow to about 17 or 18 by 20.
OK and what about your distance from the front and center speakers?
Hicks is offline  
post #4927 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Member
 
kinmanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SF Bayarea
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

I called them about that and they have a new date for new orders but the first shipment is still planned to arrive the beginning of March--so give them a call--I talked to Matt about my order and I should be getting mine from the first shipment.

Unfortunately, I ordered cherry, so I won't be getting them before 3/25. I'll just have to keep my current speaker a little longer.

Quote:


Looks like we have both been busy.

Yea, and my family/HT room is a mess.

Quote:


Still haven't decided on a sub yet, I have an Onkyo 808 and am also interested in the dipoles to go with VGTs and Center. I just added an Apple TV to my Samsung 6800 LCD and 6500 Blu Ray.

I didn't get my SVS sub today, after all. Apparently the bad weather in the mid-west completely screwed up the delivery.

I am now leaning to getting the bookshelf for my surrounds. Since I plan to eventually get the wides and the highs, per Audyssey DSX, I probably don't need the defused sound that dipoles would provide.

Glad that you'll get VGTs before i do. Enjoy!
kinmanc is offline  
post #4928 of 6983 Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

OK and what about your distance from the front and center speakers?

Right now it's about six feet from left to right, with the center in the middle. I don't think that it will be much different after the remodel. Thanks for your help.

BTW, just placed the order, can't wait!

hogues is offline  
post #4929 of 6983 Old 02-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Member
 
CombatChuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay on the Verus shipments, believe me it is just as frustrating for you as it is for me.

So here's the deal:

If you ordered in the black finish before last week you are good for the first shipment. That has been pushed back slightly but should be here by 3/7 or a couple days earlier.

However in the cherry finish no matter when you placed your order the Verus Grand Towers will be shipping on 3/25.

Again I apologize for the delay but I think when they do show up it will be worth the wait.

In the meantime, thank you to everyone who has placed orders and for bearing with us!



Indeed please let us know what you think of them and thanks for the order!

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

It's all good...
CombatChuk is offline  
post #4930 of 6983 Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
spiritfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

Unfortunately, I ordered cherry, so I won't be getting them before 3/25. I'll just have to keep my current speaker a little longer.



Yea, and my family/HT room is a mess.



I didn't get my SVS sub today, after all. Apparently the bad weather in the mid-west completely screwed up the delivery.

I am now leaning to getting the bookshelf for my surrounds. Since I plan to eventually get the wides and the highs, per Audyssey DSX, I probably don't need the defused sound that dipoles would provide.

Glad that you'll get VGTs before i do. Enjoy!

Thanks--I'm looking forward to them, that's for sure. Most of my stuff is black so that was a given--and probably why I am leaning to that finish on the SVS PB12-Ultra. I am going to keep my Def Tech 800 sats for the surrounds for now--so let me know how those bookshelfs work out if you get them--the new Forte line or the grands?

Bob

spiritfox is offline  
post #4931 of 6983 Old 02-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Member
 
CombatChuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

Unfortunately, I ordered cherry, so I won't be getting them before 3/25. I'll just have to keep my current speaker a little longer.



Yea, and my family/HT room is a mess.



I didn't get my SVS sub today, after all. Apparently the bad weather in the mid-west completely screwed up the delivery.

I am now leaning to getting the bookshelf for my surrounds. Since I plan to eventually get the wides and the highs, per Audyssey DSX, I probably don't need the defused sound that dipoles would provide.

Glad that you'll get VGTs before i do. Enjoy!

Sounds like we got a similar set up. I too ordered a Cherry Grand Verus set (2 towers, 1 center, 4 bookshelves)... The wait is worth it for the SVS sub. Last week my PB13-Ultra arrived and I have been all grins since then... Can't wait to hear the final result when the speakers show up.
CombatChuk is offline  
post #4932 of 6983 Old 02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Member
 
kinmanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SF Bayarea
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

--so let me know how those bookshelfs work out if you get them--the new Forte line or the grands?

I probably won't get the bookshelvs any time soon, WAF consideration, you know. I'll use the LR speakers that I have as the wides. I'll also keep the current dipoles as surrounds. But eventually, I want to get the following
- wides: 2 grand bookshelves
- surrounds: 2 grand bookshelves
- highs: 2 forte bookshelves
- back surrounds: 2 forte bookshelves

When I'm done, I'll have 11 Verus speakers!

Think I should invest in some Aperion stocks?
kinmanc is offline  
post #4933 of 6983 Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Senior Member
 
gpzbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
In case you missed it, here is a review of the Aperion Grand Verus Towers.
http://hometheaterreview.com/aperion...kers-reviewed/
gpzbc is offline  
post #4934 of 6983 Old 02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Right now it's about six feet from left to right, with the center in the middle. I don't think that it will be much different after the remodel. Thanks for your help.

BTW, just placed the order, can't wait!

What about your distance from the center speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

I probably won't get the bookshelvs any time soon, WAF consideration, you know. I'll use the LR speakers that I have as the wides. I'll also keep the current dipoles as surrounds. But eventually, I want to get the following
- wides: 2 grand bookshelves
- surrounds: 2 grand bookshelves
- highs: 2 forte bookshelves
- back surrounds: 2 forte bookshelves

When I'm done, I'll have 11 Verus speakers!

Think I should invest in some Aperion stocks?

Ha, that will indeed be quite the set up, keep us updated on how it is going, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post

In case you missed it, here is a review of the Aperion Grand Verus Towers.
http://hometheaterreview.com/aperion...kers-reviewed/

Thanks for posting!
Hicks is offline  
post #4935 of 6983 Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
jenkzy56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Am considering this line as my listening/viewing area is small.
the revues of the Versus grands sound quite encouraging.
Just wondering of anyone had any experience with the smaller Fortes'

jenkzy56 is offline  
post #4936 of 6983 Old 02-08-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkzy56 View Post

Am considering this line as my listening/viewing area is small.
the revues of the Versus grands sound quite encouraging.
Just wondering of anyone had any experience with the smaller Fortes'

Since they just started shipping last week the majority of people that ordered the Verus Forte Towers haven't even received them yet.

I would bet that as far as people who frequent this thread only myself and IZETECI have heard them so far.
Hicks is offline  
post #4937 of 6983 Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Senior Member
 
jwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Since they just started shipping last week the majority of people that ordered the Verus Forte Towers haven't even received them yet.

I would bet that as far as people who frequent this thread only myself and IZETECI have heard them so far.


Hicks,
I bought a 6T,6C,5BP system in June of 2010 and love it mated with my Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver.

I am now in the process of buying a JVC-RS40 projector which does 3D, but the Onkyo cant pass 3D through it's hdmi 1.3 output of course.

I was wondering if a Pioneer elite 35/37 with the ICE amps would be a good sonic match for my system? I love the sound of it now with the Onkyo and set up through the audyssey(sp?) in the receiver. Can you give me any advice on what AVR or AMP/Pro would be a sweet fit for my speakers.

And what kind of "upgrade" in sound could I expect if I took advantage of the trade up program in the next few months and went with the VGT VGC but kept my 5BP for surrounds? What do you guys use for amps or receivers when listening to the speakers when building or developing them?

Thanks,

Jeff
jwheels is offline  
post #4938 of 6983 Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

What about your distance from the center speaker?!

Right now it's about 2.5 feet, eventually to be 3 to 4 feet. I guess it could be more. Thanks for the help. BTW, just got the shipping notice. Very excited.

hogues is offline  
post #4939 of 6983 Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Senior Member
 
gpzbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Right now it's about 2.5 feet, eventually to be 3 to 4 feet. I guess it could be more. Thanks for the help. BTW, just got the shipping notice. Very excited.

Congrats.
If you are sitting 3-4 feet from your center speaker, you will be fine.
We'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on how they sound.
gpzbc is offline  
post #4940 of 6983 Old 02-08-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post

Congrats.
If you are sitting 3-4 feet from your center speaker, you will be fine.
We'll be anxious to hear your thoughts on how they sound.

Oh, man, it's been a really long day. I misread the original question. For some reason, I read it to be how far from the L and R speakers is the center. Sorry! Right now I'm about 7 feet away. I think that it will be more like ten soon.

gpzbc- Thanks. I will absolutely let everybody know what I think. One word of warning, I'm a rookie here so I'm not sure I will be able to answer everyone's questions adequately. It will be a pretty simplistic, uninformed review. The date of delivery is Saturday so I should have some unboxing impressions soon after that.

hogues is offline  
post #4941 of 6983 Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 AM
Member
 
shizam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So do you think I can run the Grand Verus speakers off a Denon 2310?

I'm aobut 6-8 feet away from the L/R/C speakers.

Thanks
shizam is offline  
post #4942 of 6983 Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizam View Post
So do you think I can run the Grand Verus speakers off a Denon 2310?

I'm aobut 6-8 feet away from the L/R/C speakers.

Thanks
The VGT's are a very efficient speaker, I am sure the 2310 can drive them. Until you listen to them with your receiver you won't know
if you are happy with how your receiver is performing.

I have the VGT's(two months now), they are an amazing speaker.
BESLC is offline  
post #4943 of 6983 Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member
 
spiritfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^
Always nice to hear comments from happy VGT owners as I anxiously await mine which should be in their next shipment. I think they will work great with my Onkyo 808.

Bob

spiritfox is offline  
post #4944 of 6983 Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Member
 
pearlbluevtx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

Haven't been on in a while but I've got an A/V bug that I'm trying to work out!

My bedroom HTIB bombed out and I'm thinking of upgrading my Samsung SlimFit TV to a 32" LCD and moving my existing "main home theater" speakers, receiver to my bedroom. (I was just going to go buy another HTIB for $400-500 and be done with it but then I started dreaming.... )

Existing speaker & receiver in living room/main home theater I bought in July 2002 from Aperion.
  • Onkyo TXDS797
  • 522D 5.1 system
  • Btech BT7 speaker mount (would these mounts work for newer intimus or verus rear speakers or should I move them with the 522s rear surrounds as well to the bedroom?)

This leads me to upgrading my living room receiver & speakers. Since I'm very pleased with my Aperions 522s, I'm happy with looking at Aperions again.

I guess I'd like some guidance on these new Aperions (VERUS) that I'm not familiar with now. I'd been trying to keep up with them over the last year but I see a new version that is being shipped soon and how those compare with the Intimus 5 or 6 series.

I don't believe the wife will allow me to have towers so I need to replace my current 522 series with something similar - or that's what I believe as of now.

Just looking at the aperion site, it looks like I'd try going with the following (without comparing the Verus & Intimus yet):
  • intimus 6c center
  • intimus 6b front L/R
  • intimus 5b rear L/R (or maybe even 4b)
  • bravus II 10D

and then a new receiver - which I don't know about yet because I haven't had time to research.

My room size is probably 18 X 20 (approximate) and it's not a "home theater setup" - it's a living room and that won't change.

My LCD is a 46" samsung 850 or something like that.

So, what does everyone think about this?
Good idea?
Yes, more expensive than a HTIB but I do get 2 great systems for 2 rooms.
Does the system setup I've proposed make any sense?

THANKS GUYS.
pearlbluevtx is offline  
post #4945 of 6983 Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Member
 
TheVillain9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Onkyo 808, currently have the 5C. I can't fit the 6C or the Versus center in my cabinet unit, i have 23.5". I wanted to get the Versus Grand, but would I be better off getting the 6T, since it will match my 5c better?
TheVillain9 is offline  
post #4946 of 6983 Old 02-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Member
 
kinmanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: SF Bayarea
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post

In case you missed it, here is a review of the Aperion Grand Verus Towers.
http://hometheaterreview.com/aperion...kers-reviewed/

There are a couple of interesting points in the review about the Grand Verus Towers.

The reviewer claims that "the Verus' midrange is already pretty pronounced and a touch warm". For those lucky few that posses GV towers, do you think the mid range is warm? I'd think it is better for a speaker to be a little warm than thin. Also, it is something that can be fixed easily by Audyssey, right?

The reviewer also claims that GV Towers sounds merely ok with "an affordable home theater receiver", but sounds really good with high end amplifiers, like his $10k+ Classe's. He didn't say which part of his expensive equipment brings out the best of GVT, but I imagine clean and easy power would certainly help. That is why I plan to get a XPA-5 to go with my 4311ci before I get my GV towers.
kinmanc is offline  
post #4947 of 6983 Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogues View Post

Oh, man, it's been a really long day. I misread the original question. For some reason, I read it to be how far from the L and R speakers is the center. Sorry! Right now I'm about 7 feet away. I think that it will be more like ten soon.

At 7-10 feet the Onkyo should do a decent job, I'd give it a shot. If they sound a bit thin or you think the dynamics are a little lacking then I would upgrade to an AVR in the 130 wpc range or get an amp, but unfortunately you won't be able to use the 608 as a pre-amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizam View Post

So do you think I can run the Grand Verus speakers off a Denon 2310?

I'm aobut 6-8 feet away from the L/R/C speakers.

Thanks

At that distance you should be fine with the 2310.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlbluevtx View Post

Hi all,

Haven't been on in a while but I've got an A/V bug that I'm trying to work out!

My bedroom HTIB bombed out and I'm thinking of upgrading my Samsung SlimFit TV to a 32" LCD and moving my existing "main home theater" speakers, receiver to my bedroom. (I was just going to go buy another HTIB for $400-500 and be done with it but then I started dreaming.... )

Existing speaker & receiver in living room/main home theater I bought in July 2002 from Aperion.
  • Onkyo TXDS797
  • 522D 5.1 system
  • Btech BT7 speaker mount (would these mounts work for newer intimus or verus rear speakers or should I move them with the 522s rear surrounds as well to the bedroom?)

This leads me to upgrading my living room receiver & speakers. Since I'm very pleased with my Aperions 522s, I'm happy with looking at Aperions again.

I guess I'd like some guidance on these new Aperions (VERUS) that I'm not familiar with now. I'd been trying to keep up with them over the last year but I see a new version that is being shipped soon and how those compare with the Intimus 5 or 6 series.

I don't believe the wife will allow me to have towers so I need to replace my current 522 series with something similar - or that's what I believe as of now.

Just looking at the aperion site, it looks like I'd try going with the following (without comparing the Verus & Intimus yet):
  • intimus 6c center
  • intimus 6b front L/R
  • intimus 5b rear L/R (or maybe even 4b)
  • bravus II 10D

and then a new receiver - which I don't know about yet because I haven't had time to research.

My room size is probably 18 X 20 (approximate) and it's not a "home theater setup" - it's a living room and that won't change.

My LCD is a 46" samsung 850 or something like that.

So, what does everyone think about this?
Good idea?
Yes, more expensive than a HTIB but I do get 2 great systems for 2 rooms.
Does the system setup I've proposed make any sense?

THANKS GUYS.

That looks like a great set up to me, I love the 6Bs myself. The main advantes that I would see in going to the VGB would be slightly smoother high frequencies and its also a more sensitive speaker so you don't need as much power behind them as you will with the 6Bs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillain9 View Post

I have an Onkyo 808, currently have the 5C. I can't fit the 6C or the Versus center in my cabinet unit, i have 23.5". I wanted to get the Versus Grand, but would I be better off getting the 6T, since it will match my 5c better?

I would recommend getting the 6Ts to keep things timbre matched with your 5C. Of course another option would be to try and sell the 5C on the secondary market and then get the Verus Forte center which is matched with the Verus Grand Towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinmanc View Post

There are a couple of interesting points in the review about the Grand Verus Towers.

The reviewer claims that "the Verus' midrange is already pretty pronounced and a touch warm". For those lucky few that posses GV towers, do you think the mid range is warm? I'd think it is better for a speaker to be a little warm than thin. Also, it is something that can be fixed easily by Audyssey, right?

The reviewer also claims that GV Towers sounds merely ok with "an affordable home theater receiver", but sounds really good with high end amplifiers, like his $10k+ Classe's. He didn't say which part of his expensive equipment brings out the best of GVT, but I imagine clean and easy power would certainly help. That is why I plan to get a XPA-5 to go with my 4311ci before I get my GV towers.

Keep in mind that is just his opinion. When we debuted the VGTs at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest earlier this year we had them hooked up to a Marantz SR7005 and people were very impressed with them.
Hicks is offline  
post #4948 of 6983 Old 02-10-2011, 06:47 AM
Member
 
shizam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post

The VGT's are a very efficient speaker, I am sure the 2310 can drive them. Until you listen to them with your receiver you won't know
if you are happy with how your receiver is performing.

I have the VGT's(two months now), they are an amazing speaker.

That is good to hear. I'm waffling between buying more photographic equipment and speakers, but think it's time for new speakers. And I figure, this set will be used for 20+ years, as my current set is around 14 years old, I wanted to get the best I could afford.

But, I doubt I could afford the Verus Grands AND a new receiver.

I'm actually probably only going to get the towers and center. I already have a nice Velodyne SPL15 I bought around 2-3 years ago that is fantastic, and I'm iffy on spending a lot of $$ on rear speakers.
shizam is offline  
post #4949 of 6983 Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
hogues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks for the advice, Hicks. I'm going to give the 608 a chance, but I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade the AVR while the 608 has decent resale value. I'll wait on the amp until I know for sure what my final layout will be. I plan to do the same thing with the one year speaker upgrade plan as well. In any event, the speakers arrive Saturday. I'll give an update after I get them.

hogues is offline  
post #4950 of 6983 Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizam View Post

That is good to hear. I'm waffling between buying more photographic equipment and speakers, but think it's time for new speakers. And I figure, this set will be used for 20+ years, as my current set is around 14 years old, I wanted to get the best I could afford.

But, I doubt I could afford the Verus Grands AND a new receiver.

I'm actually probably only going to get the towers and center. I already have a nice Velodyne SPL15 I bought around 2-3 years ago that is fantastic, and I'm iffy on spending a lot of $$ on rear speakers.

I think you will be very happy with the VGT and VGC as your front sound stage. The Verus Grands deliver, be it music or movies. The front sound stage is the most important fixture in your sound system, the Verus won't disappoint.I am sure they will happily serve you for years.

As for the rear channels, I think you can decide after you have the VGT's on what would compliment them and your listening style..

Just for info sake, I have owned or auditioned the entire Aperion line, the Verus truly sets a new standard in an already excellent speaker line.

You certainly could spend much more and in my opinion get much less than you can with the Aperion Verus Grands. Keep us posted on what you decide.
BESLC is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off