Forum Jump: 

post #5191 of 6983 Old 05-08-2011, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanator View Post

The ARC spec only allows (at most) 5.1 Dolby Digital or Dolby Pro Logic signals to be sent back to the receiver. None of the higher quality audio tracks present on the Blu-ray can be passed to the receiver.

I believe this is due to bandwidth limitations.

The OP has a Samsung TV-- unfortunately every TV Samsung ships has a minimal (gimped) ARC implementation, in that it will only return a stereo signal, regardless of the source-- including the on board tuner.

So for him, there is little difference between using ARC or the optical connection, in fact, the optical connection is preferable for OTA.

Interesting... so the optical would send 5.1 signal, then right? I was planning on using my BR player to stream Netflix anyway, but the Samsung looks like it had some cool menus (started the break in slides before messing around too much) and was thinking of using the TV instead... guess not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 6983 Old 05-08-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdivenut View Post

Interesting... so the optical would send 5.1 signal, then right?

You can only get 5.1 from the on-board tuner--stereo only from all external sources.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5193 of 6983 Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Pretty sweet review of the Verus Forte system dropped today at Big Picture Big Sound:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ap...m-Review.shtml
post #5194 of 6983 Old 05-10-2011, 12:26 PM

currently own the 4Ts, 4C, 4Bs and 8A. I'm interested in upgrading my towers to 5Ts. What improvements are these 5Ts from 4Ts? I've noticed the frequency ranges are the same for both speakers.

I've started listening to music more often because these 4Ts sound nice, but how well do 5Ts handle music? Would Ialso need to upgrade my center to a 5C if went with 5Ts? And Jason, how much do you think the shipping would be? I've saved my shipping boxes.
post #5195 of 6983 Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Pretty sweet review of the Verus Forte system dropped today at Big Picture Big Sound:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ap...m-Review.shtml

Congrats to Aperion for another positive review.

Any chance of a review from someone who does measurements as well? ... maybe Soundstage, Sound & Vision, Home Theater Mag, Stereophile, Ultimate AV Mag, Audioholics?... just to mention a few possible options

I'd probably most interested in seeing a review in Ultimate AV Mag, Sound & Vision, or Stereophile, since they address off axis performance as well...
post #5196 of 6983 Old 05-10-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post

currently own the 4Ts, 4C, 4Bs and 8A. I'm interested in upgrading my towers to 5Ts. What improvements are these 5Ts from 4Ts? I've noticed the frequency ranges are the same for both speakers.

I've started listening to music more often because these 4Ts sound nice, but how well do 5Ts handle music? Would Ialso need to upgrade my center to a 5C if went with 5Ts? And Jason, how much do you think the shipping would be? I've saved my shipping boxes.

The main difference between the 4T and the 5T is you get a nice bump in midrange fullness in the 5T and it's more sensitive by 1 dB so it doesn't require quite as much power to get the same output from it and it can fill a larger area, say up to a room around 20X20 or so. Having the fuller midrange is certainly a nice thing to have for music, so if you are going to continue to listen to more music then that may be an upgrade that is worth it for you.

You can use the 4C with the 5Ts, they are timbre matched, but the 5C is a pretty sizable bump in performance over the 4C since it's a three way as compared to the 4C which is a two way. You could always upgrade the towers now and then see if you want to do the center next after you've had them for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Congrats to Aperion for another positive review.

Any chance of a review from someone who does measurements as well? ... maybe Soundstage, Sound & Vision, Home Theater Mag, Stereophile, Ultimate AV Mag, Audioholics?... just to mention a few possible options

I'd probably most interested in seeing a review in Ultimate AV Mag, Sound & Vision, or Stereophile, since they address off axis performance as well...

Indeed! There is a Grand system out for review at Home Theater Mag now, as well as a Forte system at Sound + Vision. Of course Audioholics already did a review including measurements of the Grand speakers here:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ng/verus-grand
post #5197 of 6983 Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Indeed! There is a Grand system out for review at Home Theater Mag now, as well as a Forte system at Sound + Vision. Of course Audioholics already did a review including measurements of the Grand speakers here:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...ng/verus-grand

Nice! Looking forward to them both, but particularly the S&V review of the Forte line.

Yep I did check out that Audioholics review of the Grands.... definitely piqued my interested in the bookshelves...
post #5198 of 6983 Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM

6C center in medium cherry on Ebay if anyone wants to upgrade their center... 4T's also...

Eyes: Samsung UN55C8000
Brain: Integra DHC-80.2
Heart: Emotiva XPA-5
Ears: Klipsch RF-7 II
Mouth: Klipsch RC-64 II
post #5199 of 6983 Old 05-11-2011, 02:51 PM

I realize it would not be ideal, but I would only have 3" of room from the back of the VGB to the wall. Is this OK? It would be sitting in a shelf cubby.
post #5200 of 6983 Old 05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

We've recently had Jeff Meier (UMR @ AVS) calibrate our new 5T fronts and 6C center. It turned out that the main board of our sub's amp died before he arrived. As a result, the 5Ts are temporarily set to large in our Denon 3806 AVR.

Jeff was impressed with the base output the 5Ts are able to produce. What he said was, "That's pretty good for small speakers. The sub's amp has just returned from it's repair, and I'll probably get it set up tomorrow. Jeff will return on his next trip to finish the calibration (no charge).

I'm very happy with our new Aperion speakers. Jeff had recommended the 5C because we were having problems understanding some dialog. When I placed the order, the 6C was on sale, so I followed the "more is better" principle and switched the center to the 6C.

The 5Ts are doing a great job with classical, jazz, and blues. My wife and I are doing the "What did she say?" routine less often. As an extra bonus, the piano finish works a lot better than the old speaker's scruffy flat black finish.

My first impression of the Aperion speakers was good enough, especially the mid range, that I didn't bother to A/B them with the old speakers. Jeff had calibrated the old ones too. He commented that the Aperion speakers wound up calibrating to our room in a very similar way.

Now I need to get the sub back on line.

Calibration Resources:

post #5201 of 6983 Old 05-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
I've ordered two Grand Towers and a Grand Center, and will soon be ordering 4 Grand Bookshelfs for a 7.1 setup (sub to be determined). My question is what would a good receiver be to pair them to? I'm currently debating Denon 3311 or 3312, Yamaha Rx-a2000, or maybe an Onkyo tx-Nr709 (I'm open to other ideas). The room size is about 12x16 so it's a smallish room but I want to be able to move the setup to a larger room eventually so I was thinking pre-outs make sense.

Edit: Also, I'd like to keep it under $1k.
post #5202 of 6983 Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereToStart View Post

I've ordered two Grand Towers and a Grand Center, and will soon be ordering 4 Grand Bookshelfs for a 7.1 setup (sub to be determined). My question is what would a good receiver be to pair them to? I'm currently debating Denon 3311 or 3312, Yamaha Rx-a2000, or maybe an Onkyo tx-Nr709 (I'm open to other ideas). The room size is about 12x16 so it's a smallish room but I want to be able to move the setup to a larger room eventually so I was thinking pre-outs make sense.

You also could look at the Anthem MRX series. They sound pretty good.
post #5203 of 6983 Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz View Post

You also could look at the Anthem MRX series. They sound pretty good.

I think they are a little out of my budget, which I forgot to include.
post #5204 of 6983 Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
^^^
The 3311Ci can be found at a great price, and has pretty much all the useful features that the 3312Ci has (plenty of power, connections, Audyssey MultEQ XT), if AirPlay isn't that big a deal, it makes more sense. If you want to stream iTunes, an ATV is pretty cheap and more powerful anyway (ATV2 adds Netflix streaming, iTunes store, the ability to search, which is priceless if you have a large music collection, over AirTunes)

That said, the Yamaha has been getting great reviews and allows a second sub to be integrated a little more effectively. The Unit is built like a tank, has a very slick GUI, and offers a bit different of a visual aesthetic (at least Yamaha tried to make the unit look like more than an average black box). The initial set up process is a little simpler than that on Denon's, but you only have to deal with that, at most, a handful of times anyway.

Both units have plenty of power, very good reliability, are from respected companies that know how to make good equipment, and have solid video and audio credentials. Both would also benefit from a good universal remote (a la Harmony). There, I think that covers most of the disclaimers.

So here's my 1/50th of a buck. If you are thinking of a adding a second sub in the future, or really enjoy slick GUI's, get the Yamaha. If you are thinking about features v. price, get the 3311CI.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #5205 of 6983 Old 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

^^^
The 3311Ci can be found at a great price, and has pretty much all the useful features that the 3312Ci has (plenty of power, connections, Audyssey MultEQ XT), if AirPlay isn't that big a deal, it makes more sense. If you want to stream iTunes, an ATV is pretty cheap and more powerful anyway (ATV2 adds Netflix streaming, iTunes store, the ability to search, which is priceless if you have a large music collection, over AirTunes)

That said, the Yamaha has been getting great reviews and allows a second sub to be integrated a little more effectively. The Unit is built like a tank, has a very slick GUI, and offers a bit different of a visual aesthetic (at least Yamaha tried to make the unit look like more than an average black box). The initial set up process is a little simpler than that on Denon's, but you only have to deal with that, at most, a handful of times anyway.

Both units have plenty of power, very good reliability, are from respected companies that know how to make good equipment, and have solid video and audio credentials. Both would also benefit from a good universal remote (a la Harmony). There, I think that covers most of the disclaimers.

So here's my 1/50th of a buck. If you are thinking of a adding a second sub in the future, or really enjoy slick GUI's, get the Yamaha. If you are thinking about features v. price, get the 3311CI.

Thanks for the breakdown!
post #5206 of 6983 Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

Edit: Also, I'd like to keep it under $1k.

You should also consider something from the Marantz line. I have the 6005 with my 5.1 system in a 10x12 room and it sounds really nice--really fills the room--I usually watch movies around -8.

Also, Marantz is the line sold by Aperion.

A few pics of my room.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Bob

post #5207 of 6983 Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:

I think they are a little out of my budget, which I forgot to include.

The Anthems are similar in price to the others you listed. MRX300 has an MSRP of $1000. MRX is at $1500.
post #5208 of 6983 Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmlutz View Post

I realize it would not be ideal, but I would only have 3" of room from the back of the VGB to the wall. Is this OK? It would be sitting in a shelf cubby.

If you cross them over at 80 Hz you should be fine. If they still sound a little muddy you can always try plugging the ports.
post #5209 of 6983 Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

You should also consider something from the Marantz line. I have the 6005 with my 5.1 system in a 10x12 room and it sounds really nice--really fills the room--I usually watch movies around -8.

Also, Marantz is the line sold by Aperion.

A few pics of my room.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ries/538921246

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #5210 of 6983 Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a reminder that our Outdoor Speaker promo ends this weekend, so now is a great time to outfit your deck, patio or yard with Aperions:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...30,31,718.aspx
post #5211 of 6983 Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM

I've decided my next speakers will be the Grand Center and Grand Towers.....now to come up with $2500
post #5212 of 6983 Old 05-13-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failwhale314 View Post

I've decided my next speakers will be the Grand Center and Grand Towers.....now to come up with $2500

Excellent choice, maybe hold a bake sale?
post #5213 of 6983 Old 05-18-2011, 10:49 PM

When you use Aperion's SPL to calibrate the sound levels for all the speakers, does that include the sub also, or is sub volume personal preference? For music purposes, should the sub's db level be the same as the speakers? My SPL's needle jumps way to the right when my subwoofer emits my test sound. All the speakers are closely level though.
post #5214 of 6983 Old 05-19-2011, 03:55 AM

I used mine for the sub too. I like my sub a little louder. I found the meter to be accurate. You may want to dial your sub down a bit for more balanced sound stage, but if you really like it overpowering, that would be a personal preference.

Justin

Panasonic 50" Plasma TC-P50-GT30
Panasonic 58" Plasma TC-P58V10
Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMP-BDT 210 and 110
Marantz SR6006 (2)
Aperion Verus Grand Speakers

post #5215 of 6983 Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon_k_w View Post

When you use Aperion's SPL to calibrate the sound levels for all the speakers, does that include the sub also, or is sub volume personal preference? For music purposes, should the sub's db level be the same as the speakers? My SPL's needle jumps way to the right when my subwoofer emits my test sound. All the speakers are closely level though.

In my experience SPL meters aren't very accurate at low frequencies. I recommend dialing in the sub by ear.
post #5216 of 6983 Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:

Excellent choice, maybe hold a bake sale?

at least that way you'll know Oprah will show up. Sorry couldn't resist.

My first Home Theater is coming along nicely, i have two 5T's arriving tomorrow (so excited) already have the 5b's, and 5c. Now i'm just waiting for my Denon 4311 to ship and i can start installing. I do have one hangup however, I don't really have the budget to spend 800 dollars on a sub, I was wondering if it is an option to buy an off brand sub that will safice, but i'm worried about it meshing with the aperion speakers. Would this create a problem ? and i'm not an expert by any means, if 800 dollars or so is reasonable for something comaparable to the 10D 2 then i'll be more than happy to hold off until i can afford it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
post #5217 of 6983 Old 05-23-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtimelew View Post

I do have one hangup however, I don't really have the budget to spend 800 dollars on a sub, I was wondering if it is an option to buy an off brand sub that will safice ...

When UMR calibrated our home theater a short while ago, he thought the 5Ts had good base for their size. Our sub is now repaired and it does make a difference. You could just go with a 5.0 system until you can afford the right sub. Sloppy bass can be irritating.

Calibration Resources:

post #5218 of 6983 Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just got my Grand Verus towers, and they sound great, but my ears were very fatigued in less than half an hour of listening (70-85 dbs). I am sitting about 14 feet away, in a large room. I have them crossed over at 80 running through a Denon 989 and powered by Emotiva UPA-1's. Previously using Axiom M-80's with zero listener fatigue. Any suggestions?

Thanks
post #5219 of 6983 Old 05-23-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7 View Post

Just got my Grand Verus towers, and they sound great, but my ears were very fatigued in less than half an hour of listening (70-85 dbs). I am sitting about 14 feet away, in a large room. I have them crossed over at 80 running through a Denon 989 and powered by Emotiva UPA-1's. Previously using Axiom M-80's with zero listener fatigue. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Its very possible they just need to be broken in, I know when I got my PSB Image T65s I also got listening fatigue for the first 2 weeks or so. I came from a very warm set of speakers, in fact I almost sent them back, but am glad I waited as I love them now.

Hopefully thats just whats going on with you. Best of luck!
post #5220 of 6983 Old 05-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yea, but I bought them used, they are at least three months old.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page