*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 175 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5221 of 6928 Old 05-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Member
 
Lilmase1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7 View Post

Yea, but I bought them used, they are at least three months old.

Now that is a very different story altogether.

Also coming from the M80s (that I believe have dual aluminum tweeters) and going to those Aperions with silk dome, its kind of weird that your getting fatigue at all.

I am sure you already checked but are you getting more output with the Aperions vs the Axioms. Perhaps the Aperions are more efficient and those emotivas are running them a little hotter than the Axioms.
Lilmase1153 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5222 of 6928 Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Member
 
RCase7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you suggesting that the UPA-1's could be the 'Fatiguing Factor', if so I could try powering them with the Denon receiver and see if that makes a difference; if I am interpreting your post correctly. Thanks for the responses.
RCase7 is offline  
post #5223 of 6928 Old 05-23-2011, 08:16 PM
Member
 
Lilmase1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not exactly, those UPA-1s put out a lot of power and if you haven't recalibrated your system when you put in those Aperions, they may be playing louder than your Axioms even while using your normal listening levels.

I would try recalibrating your system and then sit down for another session of listening and see if that helps. When I switched from my Onkyo 805 powering my T65s to my Rotel 2 channel, I definitely had to recalibrate.

I dont know if this is the problem, but since you spent all this money and already have such a nice set up, it doesnt hurt to try..
Lilmase1153 is offline  
post #5224 of 6928 Old 05-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Member
 
RCase7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got ya, the output may be higher and hence fatiguing. I need to level match the new speakers with the old via a sound meter, then have another listening session. Thanks
RCase7 is offline  
post #5225 of 6928 Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Lilmase1153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No problem buddy, good luck and happy listening!
Lilmase1153 is offline  
post #5226 of 6928 Old 05-24-2011, 03:23 AM
Senior Member
 
dynaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NW Georgia USA
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCase7 View Post

Yea, but I bought them used, they are at least three months old.

I responded on the Aperion site boards.
dynaudio is online now  
post #5227 of 6928 Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Member
 
RCase7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, I have flattened out the EQ on the Denon and toed in the speakers a bit, but I will not be able to listen until this evening. Hopefully these modifications will help.
RCase7 is offline  
post #5228 of 6928 Old 05-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Member
 
waygorked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all. First post.
I just brought home a set of VGTs last night. My office is down the street from Aperion, and I have been waiting like everyone else for the next shipment. Matt called me about a set of A-stock returns they just received, and was cool enough to hang out after work until I could show up to take them home.

$1528 into the back of my car. I believe they have 2 more sets...

I am a former recording engineer, with a ton of big album credits back in the day, so my concept of good/bad is perhaps a bit more specific than most. My tastes tend toward flat and precise, rather than pretty. I'm the guy obsessing over counting the number of early reflections on a kickdrum, or the ability to hear the studio gate closing on a buzzing guitar track, rather than how big the bottom end is and such (for whatever that is worth).

I set them up in my big live living room next to a pair of B&W CM9s and a set of PSB Synchrony 2s that I have been auditioning, plugged into my Marantz 7005. No Audyssey engaged.

First impressions: these are an absolutely amazing set of speakers. They are very, very flat, and have remarkable detail and imaging. Despite the increased range of the B&W tweeters, the Aperions are far more precise, and have spectacular imaging. Their ability to localize a transient to a point in space, rather than just to a region, is something I have not heard outside a studio control room, at least not to anywhere near this level of precision.

I put them up against my trusted Meyer HD1s (industry standard powered reference monitors), and found that they held their own.

Unlike virtually every audiophile speakers I have tried, I feel like I may actually be able to mix on these.

Bottom line, these are the best purchase I have made in years.
waygorked is offline  
post #5229 of 6928 Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
spiritfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^^
Nice review--I have similar--but far more inexperienced--impressions of my VGTs. I did listen to the CM9s but not next to the VGTs--and the time between listens was quite long--but in my mind--I liked the VGTs better. Thanks for detailing your impressions.

Bob

spiritfox is offline  
post #5230 of 6928 Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waygorked View Post

Hey all. First post.
I just brought home a set of VGTs last night. My office is down the street from Aperion, and I have been waiting like everyone else for the next shipment. Matt called me about a set of A-stock returns they just received, and was cool enough to hang out after work until I could show up to take them home.

$1528 into the back of my car. I believe they have 2 more sets...

I am a former recording engineer, with a ton of big album credits back in the day, so my concept of good/bad is perhaps a bit more specific than most. My tastes tend toward flat and precise, rather than pretty. I'm the guy obsessing over counting the number of early reflections on a kickdrum, or the ability to hear the studio gate closing on a buzzing guitar track, rather than how big the bottom end is and such (for whatever that is worth).

I set them up in my big live living room next to a pair of B&W CM9s and a set of PSB Synchrony 2s that I have been auditioning, plugged into my Marantz 7005. No Audyssey engaged.

First impressions: these are an absolutely amazing set of speakers. They are very, very flat, and have remarkable detail and imaging. Despite the increased range of the B&W tweeters, the Aperions are far more precise, and have spectacular imaging. Their ability to localize a transient to a point in space, rather than just to a region, is something I have not heard outside a studio control room, at least not to anywhere near this level of precision.

I put them up against my trusted Meyer HD1s (industry standard powered reference monitors), and found that they held their own.

Unlike virtually every audiophile speakers I have tried, I feel like I may actually be able to mix on these.

Bottom line, these are the best purchase I have made in years.

Awesome, welcome and thanks for posting.

That is indeed pretty impressive that you feel that they are accurate enough to use as mixing reference speakers.

Enjoy!
Hicks is offline  
post #5231 of 6928 Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Member
 
waygorked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jason,

Thank Matt again for me for hanging out after hours. That was very cool.

I should also point out that the VGTs absolutely smoked the CM9s. Not just to my ears. Despite the extended high end on the B&Ws, which usually increases the image precision, the VGTs were way more accurate. The B&Ws had far more cabinet resonances as well.

And not just to my ears. Both my wife and daughter thought that the B&Ws, and I quote, "sound like poo next to the big black ones."
waygorked is offline  
post #5232 of 6928 Old 05-27-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waygorked View Post

Jason,

Thank Matt again for me for hanging out after hours. That was very cool.

I should also point out that the VGTs absolutely smoked the CM9s. Not just to my ears. Despite the extended high end on the B&Ws, which usually increases the image precision, the VGTs were way more accurate. The B&Ws had far more cabinet resonances as well.

And not just to my ears. Both my wife and daughter thought that the B&Ws, and I quote, "sound like poo next to the big black ones."

Your wife and daughter have a way with words!

Yeah I already thanked Matt for hanging out, we are always happy to help if we can.

If you want to post a review to the VGT page on our site that would be most appreciated, we will even send you a free hat for your troubles, thanks!
Hicks is offline  
post #5233 of 6928 Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Member
 
disarm78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After all the great comments here (and pretty much all over the 'net), I placed my order for a Verus Grand set a few days ago...pairs of the VGT and VGB, but had to go with the Forte center channel because I just don't have enough room for the massive Grand CC right now. Unfortunately, most of that stuff is out of stock until late June, but I get the impression it will be worth the wait. The next four weeks can't pass quickly enough though...
disarm78 is offline  
post #5234 of 6928 Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by disarm78 View Post

After all the great comments here (and pretty much all over the 'net), I placed my order for a Verus Grand set a few days ago...pairs of the VGT and VGB, but had to go with the Forte center channel because I just don't have enough room for the massive Grand CC right now. Unfortunately, most of that stuff is out of stock until late June, but I get the impression it will be worth the wait. The next four weeks can't pass quickly enough though...

Cool, thanks for the order and your patience!
Hicks is offline  
post #5235 of 6928 Old 05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Member
 
waygorked's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jason,

I don't wear hats. Howzabout a Bravus II 10D instead?

Cheers!!
waygorked is offline  
post #5236 of 6928 Old 05-31-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waygorked View Post

Jason,

I don't wear hats. Howzabout a Bravus II 10D instead?

Cheers!!


Some day I'll have an Oprah style talk show where EVERYONE GETS A BRAVUS II 10D.
Hicks is offline  
post #5237 of 6928 Old 05-31-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Out of curiosity... how well would the Verus Grand Bookshelves match up with the Intimus 6C?

I recently snagged a 6C off ebay for a really nice price, but the 5T (and 6T) are out of my price range.

The other Aperion speakers I'd be interested in are the 4T and VGB... but honestly the VGB interest me alot more than the 4T.


BTW, the 6C is a BIG center channel.
alphaiii is online now  
post #5238 of 6928 Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Out of curiosity... how well would the Verus Grand Bookshelves match up with the Intimus 6C?

I recently snagged a 6C off ebay for a really nice price, but the 5T (and 6T) are out of my price range.

The other Aperion speakers I'd be interested in are the 4T and VGB... but honestly the VGB interest me alot more than the 4T.


BTW, the 6C is a BIG center channel.


The Verus and Intimus lines use different tweeters and woofers, so they are definitely not timbre matched.

I think they would integrate better than speakers of completely different brands, but my recommendation would still be to stay with all Intimus or all Verus for your front array.
Hicks is offline  
post #5239 of 6928 Old 06-01-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

The Verus and Intimus lines use different tweeters and woofers, so they are definitely not timbre matched.

I think they would integrate better than speakers of completely different brands, but my recommendation would still be to stay with all Intimus or all Verus for your front array.

I assumed as much... but figured it was worth asking anyway.. Thanks.
alphaiii is online now  
post #5240 of 6928 Old 06-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Member
 
IZETECI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anybody is interested in a set of almost mint black Forte towers send me a message.
IZETECI is offline  
post #5241 of 6928 Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
Member
 
fcastle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
IZETECI- I just placed an order for Grand towers, but they are on backorder. Did you not like the Fortes?
fcastle is offline  
post #5242 of 6928 Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

IZETECI- I just placed an order for Grand towers, but they are on backorder. Did you not like the Fortes?

Heh, Z has a pair of Verus Grand Towers too. . .
Hicks is offline  
post #5243 of 6928 Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Member
 
IZETECI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Heh, Z has a pair of Verus Grand Towers too. . .

I really like both speakers, I'm just downsizing my apartment and need to make room.
IZETECI is offline  
post #5244 of 6928 Old 06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Member
 
jfeva0049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gilroy, CA
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just ordered a grand center channel, cant wait to try it out. now i only need 4 more speakers.....
jfeva0049 is offline  
post #5245 of 6928 Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Pelly_NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick question:

Is an Onkyo HT-RC180 (110W of "marketing amps") enough for the Verus Forte Towers given their lower sensitivity or would I be leaving a considerable amount of performance on the table by not having a meaty discrete amp.
Pelly_NV is online now  
post #5246 of 6928 Old 06-15-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post

Quick question:

Is an Onkyo HT-RC180 (110W of "marketing amps") enough for the Verus Forte Towers given their lower sensitivity or would I be leaving a considerable amount of performance on the table by not having a meaty discrete amp.

Hello there,

Yes I think in a small to medium sized room, say one 15X20 or smaller that you would get fairly good results with that receiver and the Verus Forte Towers.
Hicks is offline  
post #5247 of 6928 Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Pelly_NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 278
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Excellent, thx!
Pelly_NV is online now  
post #5248 of 6928 Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Member
 
IZETECI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If anybody is interested in a set of almost mint black Forte towers send me a message.
IZETECI is offline  
post #5249 of 6928 Old 06-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
USAFChief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heath, OH
Posts: 795
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
J. Hicks,

Upgrading my front 532 L/R to the Verus Grand’s. I have the 533VAC as well and I'm also exploring the upgrade to the Verus Forte Center vs Grand center due to size constraints. I'm more of a music lover than movie (75/25) so I'm assuming the combo will still be a major step up. More on the fence regarding the center. I do listen to MC DVD-A, Flac, and SACD a bit, but mostly 2 ch stuff. Room size is temporary (moving in a year), but end result is to have a medium size man-cave. Will the Forte center have plenty to satisfy or would you recommend making do with the timbre mismatch and keep the 533VAC till I can find room for the grand center?

Also, I currently power my system with Outlaw 7125 amp...125 watts of solid power into 8 ohms X 7. Considering the grand's sensitivity, I'm hoping this should be plenty of muscle to bring out the best in the Grand Towers/center...think the 125 into 8 ohms is more like 165 into 6 ohms. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

BTW, source player is the Oppo 95 using pure analogue path. Anybody else out there with the grand tower/Oppo 95 combo?

****************
Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

 

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

USAFChief is offline  
post #5250 of 6928 Old 06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
J. Hicks,

Upgrading my front 532 L/R to the Verus Grand's. I have the 533VAC as well and I'm also exploring the upgrade to the Verus Forte Center vs Grand center due to size constraints. I'm more of a music lover than movie (75/25) so I'm assuming the combo will still be a major step up. More on the fence regarding the center. I do listen to MC DVD-A, Flac, and SACD a bit, but mostly 2 ch stuff. Room size is temporary (moving in a year), but end result is to have a medium size man-cave. Will the Forte center have plenty to satisfy or would you recommend making do with the timbre mismatch and keep the 533VAC till I can find room for the grand center?

Also, I currently power my system with Outlaw 7125 amp...125 watts of solid power into 8 ohms X 7. Considering the grand's sensitivity, I'm hoping this should be plenty of muscle to bring out the best in the Grand Towers/center...think the 125 into 8 ohms is more like 165 into 6 ohms. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

BTW, source player is the Oppo 95 using pure analogue path. Anybody else out there with the grand tower/Oppo 95 combo?
Hello there,

The amount of overall output between the 533-VAC and the Forte Center will be about the same and I even think in terms of dialogue clarity they will be pretty similar too. But the Forte will be a better timbre match with the Grand Towers and personally I think the Verus tweeter provides for a more natural/smoother high frequency response. So those would be the upgrades in my opinion. On the other hand I don't think the 533-VAC will sound horrible or even bad with the VGTs, so if the ultimate plan is to go to the VGC I might just wait so you can save money on paying shipping for a trade up outside the 30 day trial.

Yes 125 watts from the Outlaw should be plenty of power to drive them well, we are using a Marantz 8003 in our sound room which is only 15 watts/channel more and I've heard them with a Marantz SR7005 AVR at 120 watts/channel in a medium sized room and they still sounded nice and detailed.

We use an Oppo 83 here with the VGTs and have been really happy with it.

I hope that helps but please let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!
Hicks is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off