*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 184 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5491 of 6937 Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PLS PLS do let us know of your experience. I haven't been able to find any user reviews on it. Did see a few reviews from Wired mag and other online sites.

I wish the Verus Grand had a wireless system too.

All the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 6937 Old 09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Doc View Post

Mount link is dead =(

(edit)link is not dead, just have to add an "x" to the end of the address

http://www.aperionaudio.com/communit...read/7994.aspx

Ah sorry about that, thanks for catching that and the correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcastle View Post

Jason - since you cannot post over at the Aperion forums, can you tell me what ceiling mount you recommend for the new BP surrounds? I have this one from Monoprice that I used on my last surrounds:

Ceiling mount

I just hate to drill into the top of the cabinet but I may not have a choice. I only have to do a ceiling mount for the left surround as that side opens to the kitchen while the right side can be wall mounted.

Yes you can use the Omni 20 ceiling mount that we sell here, you won't have to drill into the cabinet (which I do not recommend by the way) as it attaches to the inserts on the back of the speaker.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...59,40,165.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalkabout View Post

Damn, just typed a long message and not being logged on made me lose it all. Here's a quick recap:'

- I'm a newbie to this forum and home theaters
- So far have the Epson 8350, an Elite 120" manual screen, PS3, and AppleTV
- I just ordered the Aperion Intimus 4T Summit Wireless 5.1 System.
- I can't find any active thread on any forum about this system, hoping to connect with some other early adopters
- 5.1 system is $2500, but $250 rebate is still in effect as of a couple days ago

- Questions
1. Will I be able to upgrade the preamp transmitter if that ever gets upgraded? It's IR only right now, and I'd rather have bluetooth or wifi.
2. I know the speakers need to "see" each other, but is that also true of the transmitter?
3. Is there any updated info on the standby draw?
4. When will we know for sure the shipping date?

Thanks!

I'm not exactly sure how that will be handled to be honest. The one thing that is a little bit of a bummer is that the Home Theater One does not have an ethernet port, so if there were updates/upgrades we would have to send them out to you on a flash drive or potentially just swap out the entire box.

No, they don't need to be line of site with the transmitter box, they just need to be within 30 feet of the box.

I don't have the specs of the standby draw of the speakers, but let me see if I can get that for you.

We are still on target for them to ship out on Sept. 15th or within a couple days of that at least.
post #5493 of 6937 Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm tempted to upgrade my 4BP's with the new Verus Surrounds...how does the VS compare to the 4BP strictly in bipole mode?...same, better, much better or worse?
post #5494 of 6937 Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 PM

Finally have my 6T & 6C with 6IC going. Super happy. Loving the clarity of the center with movie dialog. I say go Aperion or go home!
post #5495 of 6937 Old 09-09-2011, 09:13 AM

Questions, I'm long winded.

Background: I've only owned one theater system before, an Optimus system from Radio Shack that I pieced together from recommendations at the time with two Optimus Pro LX5 for rears, an OPTIMUS PRO CS-1 for center, and two fronts that just looked like larger versions of the rear (forget the model #). I gave this system away in 2005 after years of great service and have since been speakerless (except a Logitech Z-5300 5.1 at the computer).

Since the beginning of the last summer (2010) I've been scouring the Internet for reviews on speakers, from what I've read and seen in tests from what I believe to be the most credible sources Aperion is the clear winner in sound in their price range and slightly above that range and the nicest finishes of all.

After deciding to purchase I sat down and in the last week reread this entire thread (exhausting) if, still I ask a question that was already answered my apologies, also thanks to everyone who posted such great questions and thanks more to HICKS for providing such swift and helpful answers...

System: Verus Forte 5.1

The grand is in my price range but current space has led me to decide on the Forte (originally I was going to purchase the 4T based on reivews, however when the Verus Forte came out and the size was so close to the 4T I figured I could squeeze it.

My Concerns/Questions:

1.) Clearance behind the tower, how important is it really. And if it is what is the minimum I can get away with without cheating myself out of better sound.

2.) Floor Surface - Should I put anything under the towers such as carpet or Acoustic pads? (the floor is a floating laminate floor)

3.) Glossy Finish - I REALLY love the look of the Glossy wood finish, but my towers will have to be close to the TV on either side, how much reflection occurs on the speaker cabinets when this happens? (is there much of a difference in reflection for the wood look vs the black cabinets?)

4.) Verus Surrounds vs. Forte Satellites, from what I gather it seems that 5.1 should have the rear speaks to the side of the listener, only 7.1 puts 2 additional in the rear, the way I always had my old system was the 2 rear speakers in the rear and it seems that many people have it that way from reading forums. Still, are the Surrounds better than the Satellites for a 5.1 setup? (I would be following correct 5.1 guidelines this time and having them at the sides this time, unless there is an argument to be made for having them in the rear)

So the question is: Should I get the Surrounds and use them in the place of the Satellites instead? OR is it worth it to get the Verus Grand for rears (see, my problem is the room they have to be for the next two years is only 8*12, plenty of space for larger rears, but none up at the front stage due to the back door of the house being right slightly right of center of the media wall (which is also why the towers have to be close to the TV)

5.) Receiver, Pretty much decided on a Denon but I'm still up in the air on whether to get the 2112ci, 2312ci, or 3312ci, I wouldn't be using the features of latter two for years (except maybe the zone two adjustments) but I'm definitively connecting zone two speakers within weeks of installation. Any thoughts on the differences between these or your experience with Denon would be appreciated, I'm going to post something in the Denon thread soon. I guess the real question is 90wts fine for the Verus setup? or would it really benefit from the 105 or 125 that much more (take into consideration the small room for the next couple of years, after that the system would probably go into a 12 or 15 * 18 foot room)

Thanks for everything, it's dedicated posters and repliers like you all who make understanding things a lot easier and do a lot of the research and grunt work and bring experience to complicated things helping lots of other people out. Cheers
post #5496 of 6937 Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I'm tempted to upgrade my 4BP's with the new Verus Surrounds...how does the VS compare to the 4BP strictly in bipole mode?...same, better, much better or worse?

The VSS still give you a more diffuse a less localized sound than the 4BP but that difference is more dramatic when they are in the dipole mode. Another thing to consider though is that the Verus tweeter does give you a more natural and detailed sound than the Intimus tweeter, at least to my ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL GUER0 View Post

Finally have my 6T & 6C with 6IC going. Super happy. Loving the clarity of the center with movie dialog. I say go Aperion or go home!

Awesome, glad to hear you are enjoying the system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethercept View Post

Questions, I'm long winded.

Background: I've only owned one theater system before, an Optimus system from Radio Shack that I pieced together from recommendations at the time with two Optimus Pro LX5 for rears, an OPTIMUS PRO CS-1 for center, and two fronts that just looked like larger versions of the rear (forget the model #). I gave this system away in 2005 after years of great service and have since been speakerless (except a Logitech Z-5300 5.1 at the computer).

Since the beginning of the last summer (2010) I've been scouring the Internet for reviews on speakers, from what I've read and seen in tests from what I believe to be the most credible sources Aperion is the clear winner in sound in their price range and slightly above that range and the nicest finishes of all.

After deciding to purchase I sat down and in the last week reread this entire thread (exhausting) if, still I ask a question that was already answered my apologies, also thanks to everyone who posted such great questions and thanks more to HICKS for providing such swift and helpful answers...

System: Verus Forte 5.1

The grand is in my price range but current space has led me to decide on the Forte (originally I was going to purchase the 4T based on reivews, however when the Verus Forte came out and the size was so close to the 4T I figured I could squeeze it.

My Concerns/Questions:

1.) Clearance behind the tower, how important is it really. And if it is what is the minimum I can get away with without cheating myself out of better sound.

2.) Floor Surface - Should I put anything under the towers such as carpet or Acoustic pads? (the floor is a floating laminate floor)

3.) Glossy Finish - I REALLY love the look of the Glossy wood finish, but my towers will have to be close to the TV on either side, how much reflection occurs on the speaker cabinets when this happens? (is there much of a difference in reflection for the wood look vs the black cabinets?)

4.) Verus Surrounds vs. Forte Satellites, from what I gather it seems that 5.1 should have the rear speaks to the side of the listener, only 7.1 puts 2 additional in the rear, the way I always had my old system was the 2 rear speakers in the rear and it seems that many people have it that way from reading forums. Still, are the Surrounds better than the Satellites for a 5.1 setup? (I would be following correct 5.1 guidelines this time and having them at the sides this time, unless there is an argument to be made for having them in the rear)

So the question is: Should I get the Surrounds and use them in the place of the Satellites instead? OR is it worth it to get the Verus Grand for rears (see, my problem is the room they have to be for the next two years is only 8*12, plenty of space for larger rears, but none up at the front stage due to the back door of the house being right slightly right of center of the media wall (which is also why the towers have to be close to the TV)

5.) Receiver, Pretty much decided on a Denon but I'm still up in the air on whether to get the 2112ci, 2312ci, or 3312ci, I wouldn't be using the features of latter two for years (except maybe the zone two adjustments) but I'm definitively connecting zone two speakers within weeks of installation. Any thoughts on the differences between these or your experience with Denon would be appreciated, I'm going to post something in the Denon thread soon. I guess the real question is 90wts fine for the Verus setup? or would it really benefit from the 105 or 125 that much more (take into consideration the small room for the next couple of years, after that the system would probably go into a 12 or 15 * 18 foot room)

Thanks for everything, it's dedicated posters and repliers like you all who make understanding things a lot easier and do a lot of the research and grunt work and bring experience to complicated things helping lots of other people out. Cheers

Hello and welcome to the forum!

1. The sound does begin to sound muddier/less defined for the low frequencies as the speaker gets closer to the wall. Personally I wouldn't put them any closer than a foot to the back wall or if they do need to be closer I would consider plugging the ports, but YMMV.

2. The speakers come with spikes and discs to raise them up off the floor, but if you don't want to use those an isolation pad is indeed an alternative or even simple felt pads on the bottom of the speaker will do the trick too. Do they sound horrible with the footers sitting right on the floor? Not in my opinion.

3. This is one that people worry about that I have to say I honestly don't really get. Is a little band of reflection really that distracting? In any event here is what it looks like when the speakers are right on top of the TV. Verus cherry on the left and high gloss black on the right. The picture is kind of dim because I turned the flash off so you can just see the reflection from the screen.

4. Personally I think if you can get the Verus Surrounds directly to your sides about 5-6 feet off the ground they really do offer the best surround experience of all of our speakers. With a traditional front firing speaker like the Forte Satellite or Grand Bookshelf you do perceive that sound as coming at you from the speaker to some degree. By contrast with the VSS the sound wraps around you and really places you inside the action, which ultimately is the goal of surround sound. Between the VFS and the VGB there really isn't a whole lot of difference between them for surround use for movies unless the speaker will be far away from you, say over 10 feet. It's really if you are doing a lot of multichannel music that the VGB becomes a bigger advantage since that's when you really hear it's fuller midrange.

5. In your current room the Denon 2112 should be plenty. The differences is in wattage alone aren't what makes it worth stepping up, but the components such as the power supply are higher quality as you move up the line. The 2312 in comparison with the 2112 is more of a modest step up, but when you get to the 3312 you really do have a superior amp section which is borne out by it having a lower THD rating of .05% vs. .08% for the 2112 and 2312. So I think you will be fine with the 2112, but if you want to upgrade I would think about going to the 3312 for a more significant bump in performance.

I hope that helps but just let me know if you have other questions, thanks!
post #5497 of 6937 Old 09-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Get the 3312, you won't regret it. Plus if you want to add a external amp the road, you going to need the preouts only present on the 3312.

post #5498 of 6937 Old 09-11-2011, 07:01 AM

I just ordered 5B surrounds to complete an Aperion 5.1 system (to go with 5T fronts and a 5C center). I'm wondering whether I'll get much of an improvement in sound quality by upgrading my receiver. I currently have an Onkyo HT-RC160, which was very affordable (about $300) and has worked great. It is relatively modest in terms of power (80W).

Would upgrading to a midrange receiver---like a Marantz 5006 or Onkyo 709---really make any difference in sound quality? They have more power, fancier Audyssey room correction features (MultiEQ XT vs. 2EQ), but I don't have a sense for the difference they would make in my actual listening experience. Any advice?

Also on my radar for down the road is to upgrade my subwoofer (I'm currently using a Polk PSW111).

Thanks!
post #5499 of 6937 Old 09-11-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaksauce5 View Post

I just ordered 5B surrounds to complete an Aperion 5.1 system (to go with 5T fronts and a 5C center). I'm wondering whether I'll get much of an improvement in sound quality by upgrading my receiver. I currently have an Onkyo HT-RC160, which was very affordable (about $300) and has worked great. It is relatively modest in terms of power (80W).

Would upgrading to a midrange receiver---like a Marantz 5006 or Onkyo 709---really make any difference in sound quality? They have more power, fancier Audyssey room correction features (MultiEQ XT vs. 2EQ), but I don't have a sense for the difference they would make in my actual listening experience. Any advice?

Also on my radar for down the road is to upgrade my subwoofer (I'm currently using a Polk PSW111).

Thanks!

You would get a much bigger improvement getting a better sub first. And I don't mean from Polk. Check out SVS, HSU, Outlaw, etc.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #5500 of 6937 Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Big THANK YOU to Aperion for sending me a replacement outdoor speaker that arrived Friday night in-time to enjoy music on our patio. THANK YOU!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #5501 of 6937 Old 09-12-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Soundstage also has great things to say about the Verus Grand Bookshelf:
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?...d=291&Itemid=3

Anechoic measurements looks pretty dang good too!
post #5502 of 6937 Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

You would get a much bigger improvement getting a better sub first. And I don't mean from Polk. Check out SVS, HSU, Outlaw, etc.

Absolutely--a better sub first will reap bigger rewards.

Bob

post #5503 of 6937 Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Big THANK YOU to Aperion for sending me a replacement outdoor speaker that arrived Friday night in-time to enjoy music on our patio. THANK YOU!

My pleasure, glad to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Soundstage also has great things to say about the Verus Grand Bookshelf:
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?...d=291&Itemid=3

Anechoic measurements looks pretty dang good too!

Thanks for posting, those graphs do indeed look great!
post #5504 of 6937 Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I'm interested in seeing some online reviews of the Verus Surrounds but that will probably take a few weeks/months as they were just released...hopefully some audio sites got some early review samples and wil be putting up some impressions soon
post #5505 of 6937 Old 09-14-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I'm interested in seeing some online reviews of the Verus Surrounds but that will probably take a few weeks/months as they were just released...hopefully some audio sites got some early review samples and wil be putting up some impressions soon

We only received a couple pre-production pairs that we needed to keep in house for testing, but we are working on lining up some reviews for them now.
post #5506 of 6937 Old 09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Summit Wireless systems began shipping today, thanks to everyone who waited so patiently I think you will be quite pleased!
post #5507 of 6937 Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Summit Wireless systems began shipping today, thanks to everyone who waited so patiently I think you will be quite pleased!

Any plans to launch the Verus line for Summit wireless? I doubt if the 4Ts
would cut it for a large room (1000 sqft +)

Thx
post #5508 of 6937 Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello y'all. I have a Klipsch synegry setup (F-2's) 7.1 running and svs pb12nsd sub. And now it is time for me to upgrade. I really love my svs sub. Which made me want to look at the svs mts speakers. That being said, i have now stumbbled acrossed the Aperion family of speakers. I am liking what i am seeing and reading here in this thread. I am looking into the verus grand setup 7.0. Would this be a lateral move or would I notice a great difference? Also, how would y'all compare the verus series to SVS's MTS series? I do plan on getting an emotiva XPA-5 amp at the same time I purcahse new speakers just to have engough POWAH! I mainly use the system 45/45 movies/games 10 music. Thanks for all of you guys input.

James
post #5509 of 6937 Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedarklord View Post

Hello y'all. I have a Klipsch synegry setup (F-2's) 7.1 running and svs pb12nsd sub. And now it is time for me to upgrade. I really love my svs sub. Which made me want to look at the svs mts speakers. That being said, i have now stumbbled acrossed the Aperion family of speakers. I am liking what i am seeing and reading here in this thread. I am looking into the verus grand setup 7.0. Would this be a lateral move or would I notice a great difference? Also, how would y'all compare the verus series to SVS's MTS series? I do plan on getting an emotiva XPA-5 amp at the same time I purcahse new speakers just to have engough POWAH! I mainly use the system 45/45 movies/games 10 music. Thanks for all of you guys input.

James

Room size? The Verus Grand is a lot of speaker for 90% movies/games.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5510 of 6937 Old 09-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:

James

Welcome! I can't speak to a direct comparison between the SVS MTS, however I can tell you the Verus Grand is an amazing speaker. I to have an SVS sub as well, the PC12 Plus. Buying the SVS sub was done on the same basis as buying the Verus Grands..that was seeking a speaker that provided excellence in sound and quality. The beauty of the Verus Grands is you have a speaker that will hold its own with speakers costing much much more.

Regardless of your listening style, I feel the Verus Grands will deliver. In my case my listening was about 60/40, the 60 being movies. Now I am spending much more time listening to music because the Verus Grands are such an amazing speaker, which bring the music truly to life.

I have had some good speakers in the past, including other Aperions, the Verus Grands are in a league of their own. You certainly can spend much more and get much less than the Verus Grand line offers.

The Verus Grands and the SVS sub are a very good compliment to each other, they both scream quality.
post #5511 of 6937 Old 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Does anyone have any opinions on the I29 stand? I have a pair of 5B's and I am curios if there is any particular reason to go with those stands. One of the reviews seems to imply that there is a screw terminal to attach the speaker, but I dont see any pictures or official description showing it.

At $94/pair they dont seem like that great a deal cost wise versus say Sanus stands I can get from Amazon for about $35/pair, but I am open to being convinced I guess.

Thanks.
post #5512 of 6937 Old 09-16-2011, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks guys for the quick replys. As far as my room goes its 14'x23'. I know it is a small room, I like big sound. It is just time for an upgrade and I have always liked my Klipsch's I know i can get more for my money by buying internet direct and I thought i had my mind made up until I discovered Aperion. I am at this point confused. I really want to get the best for my money.

Thanks again for Yall's help. And please bear with me as I am sure more questions will arise.
post #5513 of 6937 Old 09-16-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80 View Post

Any plans to launch the Verus line for Summit wireless? I doubt if the 4Ts
would cut it for a large room (1000 sqft +)

Thx

No plans to do that, never say never but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calincole View Post

Does anyone have any opinions on the I29 stand? I have a pair of 5B's and I am curios if there is any particular reason to go with those stands. One of the reviews seems to imply that there is a screw terminal to attach the speaker, but I dont see any pictures or official description showing it.

At $94/pair they dont seem like that great a deal cost wise versus say Sanus stands I can get from Amazon for about $35/pair, but I am open to being convinced I guess.

Thanks.

They aren't anything spectacular to look at but they get the job done well and are very sturdy. Yes they have a security screw to attach the speaker to the stand which is a nice feature.

They are a more solid stand than the Sanus stands that we sell for the 4Bs in my opinion.
post #5514 of 6937 Old 09-16-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:

No plans to do that, never say never but I wouldn't hold my breath.

They aren't anything spectacular to look at but they get the job done well and are very sturdy. Yes they have a security screw to attach the speaker to the stand which is a nice feature.

They are a more solid stand than the Sanus stands that we sell for the 4Bs in my opinion.

Jason,
Does the same security screws work with VGB as well? I am wondering if you have a pre-drilled hole on the base of the Verus bookshelf to utilize for this.

Thanks
post #5515 of 6937 Old 09-16-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Thanks guys for the quick replys. As far as my room goes its 14'x23'. I know it is a small room, I like big sound. It is just time for an upgrade and I have always liked my Klipsch's I know i can get more for my money by buying internet direct and I thought i had my mind made up until I discovered Aperion. I am at this point confused. I really want to get the best for my money.

Thanks again for Yall's help. And please bear with me as I am sure more questions will arise.

With such such a small portion of your listening going to music, it is hard not to recommend something geared more towards movies like something higher up the Klipsch line. BUT, I know when I finally bought some GOOD speakers(Aperions) my music percentage went up considerably.

I also use a XPA-5. With that amp you will have no issue driving any speaker you choose so you really can't go wrong. I would also have to recommend checking out Salk Sound and their Song Towers. They are local to me and are very highly praised.

I also use a SVS sub. A PC12-NSD. SVS makes exceptional stuff.

You have a tough choice but can't go wrong. Only thing is Aperions return policy. You pretty much have to try them out since you have nothing to lose.

Best thing to do is try them both/all. I know return shipping costs suck. I've paid my share. But considering the investment your making and the convenience, I think it's worth it.

Best of luck and congratulations on your new gear.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #5516 of 6937 Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lad578 View Post

Jason,
Does the same security screws work with VGB as well? I am wondering if you have a pre-drilled hole on the base of the Verus bookshelf to utilize for this.

Thanks

Yes, it's the same insert on the bottom of the VGBs, or Forte Satellites for that matter, and the Intimus bookshelf models.
post #5517 of 6937 Old 09-19-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Yes, it's the same insert on the bottom of the VGBs, or Forte Satellites for that matter, and the Intimus bookshelf models.

Thanks Jason, that's good to know, a lot of speakers don't have pre-drilled holes and make you do it at your own risk .
post #5518 of 6937 Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

That's actually a decent size room and the size of the Verus Grands is not overkill in my opinion. If you want bang for the buck, the grands fit the bill. Like another posted stated, your ratio of music to video/gaming may change!

I have the forte's in a 15' X 20' room and they don't have the room-filling output of the grands, but still sound amazing for both video/music and may be more bang for the buck than the grands at only $1K for the pair. Same tweeter, smaller cabinet, only one smaller mid-range and two smaller woofers...don't go as low as the grands, but if used with a sub (for movies a must), the low-end is still solid and won't disappoint. I plan to upgrade to the grands when I get back to the states...of course the reason I've invested in the tower speakers is primarily for the music.

For 90% movies/gaming, the Grand bookshelves paired with the Grand center channel would probably more than satisfy with a good sub.

Good luck!

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5519 of 6937 Old 09-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Liked: 12
Hey folks,

I'm helping out a friend pick out a new home theater setup. I have a couple of questions. We are looking at a couple of Aperion packages, the Intimus 4t SD Hybrid or the Versus Grand Bookshelf. They are around the same price range, but we're a bit stumped. I'd say almost 100 percent of this system will be used for movies.

Second, we're looking at getting the best bang for the buck in a receiver. What looks appealing, for now, is the Onkyo nr709 and POSSIBLY something like a two-channel Emotiva amp (the UPA-2 is on clearance). Do you think this would make a significant difference?

The room setup is about 15 feet wide and 28 feet long, but we would be sitting much closer than that 28 feet. I'd say the rears would be put in at around 20 feet for a 5.1 setup.

Also, how would something like an HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub compare to Bravus II 8D or 10D?

Thanks for your time!
post #5520 of 6937 Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post

Hey folks,

I'm helping out a friend pick out a new home theater setup. I have a couple of questions. We are looking at a couple of Aperion packages, the Intimus 4t SD Hybrid or the Versus Grand Bookshelf. They are around the same price range, but we're a bit stumped. I'd say almost 100 percent of this system will be used for movies.

Second, we're looking at getting the best bang for the buck in a receiver. What looks appealing, for now, is the Onkyo nr709 and POSSIBLY something like a two-channel Emotiva amp (the UPA-2 is on clearance). Do you think this would make a significant difference?

The room setup is about 15 feet wide and 28 feet long, but we would be sitting much closer than that 28 feet. I'd say the rears would be put in at around 20 feet for a 5.1 setup.

Also, how would something like an HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub compare to Bravus II 8D or 10D?

Thanks for your time!

Welcome to Aperion! I am a little confused about what you are trying to accomplish? Are you basing this proposed package on price or are you looking for best performance? If you have a budget you are working with it would help a great deal.

Looking at the size of the room you are working with, I would look at something more like a 5T and 5C or if budget permits the Verus Grands. Even though the 4T is a nice speaker , in a room that size I think it would not be a good match. The Verus Bookshelf is a great speaker, but again you need to look at the goal of achieving quality sound in a given environment. The better solution would be a tower such as the 5T or Verus Grand for the front stage with matching Center.

Regarding receiver and AMP, again I would make a suggestion of saving some money by foregoing the Emotiva. A good receiver will serve him well, you can add the Emotiva at a later time. Put your money into what he will appreciate most..the speaker system. As for a receiver, I personally would look at Denon or Marantz over the Onkyo.

As for a your sub, even though Aperion makes some decent units, there are better subs for a similar price. The 8D would be much too small, the 10D I question as well. You are on the right track with HSU. Other subs to consider would be SVS, Outlaw and Rythmic.

Forgive me for taking your recommendation apart, I think if you take a second look at the room and the budget you are working with, you can put a better setup together.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page