*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 185 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #5521 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Member
 
HTNUT1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey no need to forgive! This is the exact type input I'm looking for. We are totally open to suggestions on multiple levels. Budget, max, I would say, for everything, is right at $2500.

The thought process on the amp was basically this: getting the nr709 at around 560 plus another 300 dollars gets us $860, total, for a solid receiver with some formidable power.

Thanks for your suggestions with the speaker set-up. Any extra thoughts are deeply appreciated. The attraction towards Aperion isn't based on personal experience, but from reading reviews, the general look, and the no-risk purchasing. The Versus Grand Towers are impressive, but the overall price may be out of range. From what I understand, the center channel is the primary speaker for a good HT setup?
HTNUT1975 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #5522 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post

Hey no need to forgive! This is the exact type input I'm looking for. We are totally open to suggestions on multiple levels. Budget, max, I would say, for everything, is right at $2500.

The thought process on the amp was basically this: getting the nr709 at around 560 plus another 300 dollars gets us $860, total, for a solid receiver with some formidable power.

Thanks for your suggestions with the speaker set-up. Any extra thoughts are deeply appreciated. The attraction towards Aperion isn't based on personal experience, but from reading reviews, the general look, and the no-risk purchasing. The Versus Grand Towers are impressive, but the overall price may be out of range. From what I understand, the center channel is the primary speaker for a good HT setup?


Aperion makes an excellent speaker both in terms of performance, finish and value. You could spend much more and get much less than what you get with Aperion. You're right the 30 day in home trial is hard to beat,you need to listen to a speaker to decide if it is what you want.

On the receiver side, it is not so much about having mondo power to drive the speakers, than it is to have a good speakers which can be driven. The most important aspect of HT are the speakers foremost. In the 400 to 600 dollar range there are very capable receivers which will give you the power and feature sets to fully appreciate your speakers. An example is the Denon 2112 which can be had for about 435.00. Speakers first..power second.

The Center is very important, especially for dialog, but it should be matched with an equally good timbre matched left and right speaker. Your surrounds are not nearly as important as the front stage. In your room size I still think a 5T would be a much better choice looking at your budget. Give Aperion a call, they are great to work with and will help you get the right setup at the right price.
BESLC is offline  
post #5523 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One other thing to consider about the UPA2 AMP..it is a two channel AMP, so I am not sure what you are going to gain.

Once again, focus on the speakers as the primary investment and power secondary.
BESLC is offline  
post #5524 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Member
 
HTNUT1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post

One other thing to consider about the UPA2 AMP..it is a two channel AMP, so I am not sure what you are going to gain.

Once again, focus on the speakers as the primary investment and power secondary.

Hey BESLC,

You gain more headroom with the amp within the AV Receiver. So, take the Onkyo 709--it is now only responsible for 3 speakers to power in a 5 speaker system, so there is less stress on the receiver, and the speakers sound better. That combination is only going to be just a little bit more money than the 809. I know of no AV Receiver, in that price range, which could compete with what it would have to offer (with the clean amp power, MultiEQ XT, THX, etc.).
HTNUT1975 is offline  
post #5525 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HTNUT1975

I think you missed my point. I don't think you will find any argument on where the majority of your investment should be ..that being your speakers. With your proposed setup, a big chink of your budget is going to an AMP and receiver,which may very well short change you on the speakers and sub.

I agree a dedicated AMP is a nice addition, but I think you fail to recognize that receivers today are fully capable of delivering constant reliable power to all channels. As an example, my receiver is a Denon 3312CI which has 125W per channel(all channels) at .05 THD. I am driving Aperion Verus Grands, 5T surrounds and an SVS sub and I can honestly say I don't come close to stressing the receiver. If you have a good speaker with a high sensitivity, it takes much less power to drive the speaker.

Onkyo does make a nice receiver with some very good features, but there are some issues that are common with Onkyo. Onkyo receivers run very hot, they must be well ventilated. Onkyo also has a higher failure rate than other receivers. I personally feel the sound quality of Onkyo is inferior to Denon, Marantz and Pioneer. I have either owned or demo'd each side by side.

Lastly, in the range of speakers you have mentioned, each will perform at a level of excellence with much less power than you are considering. It is the speaker that makes the system. I am just suggesting that you reevaluate where you are putting your priorities when you are just building the system. With a 2500 budget, you should be able to have some very nice speakers,sub and a good receiver to drive the speakers and provide the quality video features for a good HT setup. When budget allows , add an AMP at a later date, don't short change yourself in the beginning, it is the speakers that will impress you the most..trust me.
BESLC is offline  
post #5526 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Member
 
HTNUT1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey BESLC,

I didn't miss your point. My last post was just in response to your statement that you didn't understand the point of having a two-channel amp. I do understand the basic premise of going for better speakers, first, and am definitely taking that into consideration. Do you think the outlaw LFM-1 ex might pair well with something like Verus Bookshelfs, a Forte Center, and Verus Satellites?
HTNUT1975 is offline  
post #5527 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post

Hey BESLC,

I didn't miss your point. My last post was just in response to your statement that you didn't understand the point of having a two-channel amp. I do understand the basic premise of going for better speakers, first, and am definitely taking that into consideration. Do you think the outlaw LFM-1 ex might pair well with something like Verus Bookshelfs, a Forte Center, and Verus Satellites?

Outlaw makes a very nice sub, it would work well with the speakers.Outlaw comes from the same heritage as Ryrhmic. Sub placement is important One thing that would be helpful is to know more about the room where you are looking to setup. The things which would be helpful are room dimensions, is it a closed or open room,windows,doorways ,and where you intend to put the listening area.
BESLC is offline  
post #5528 of 6928 Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alphaiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post

Outlaw comes from the same heritage as Ryrhmic...

Same heritage as HSU, not Rythmik.
alphaiii is offline  
post #5529 of 6928 Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

Same heritage as HSU, not Rythmik.

You are correct..sorry typo.
BESLC is offline  
post #5530 of 6928 Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
Member
 
rcoyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: new jersey
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK all you gurus with an SVS subwoofer mated to Aperion speakers--I need your advice

I currently have two VGTs and the VGC with old SVS 01 bookshelves serving as the surrounds, and an old SVS ported subwoofer (part of the original SVS 01 5.1 bundle).

Having contracted "upgraditis" after getting the Aperions, I am thinking of upgrading the subwoofer owing to some distortion with LFE. The SVS gurus have suggested the PB13 ultra--do you think this is overkill based on the basement room schematics below: (1) the 110" screen is mounted in a 9' wide x 2' deep alcove along one of the basement walls (44' long in total); (2) "side walls" run about 15' total (3) a large opening as diagrammed leads to the rest of the basement? Granted, the room is large, but the effective listening area so to speak is in the middle third, centered about the couch and armchairs. Distance to screen from there is about 11'. VGT and VGC placed about where indicated (ignore the VFT), VGTs toed in slightly. Ceilings are 8' tall, giving a dimension for the listening area of about 9 x 15 x 8 =1080 cu ft, but for the "main room" (excluding the large open space beyond the large opening in the wall) a dimension of 44 x 15 x 8 = 5280 cu ft. The current surrounds are on top of the "entertainment center" (a 6' tall Thomasville product) and may be upgraded to the new Aperion verus dipole/bipoles; the sub is to the right of the entertainment center when looking at the screen (behind the seating area). There is just enough room to fit a new sub / PB13 ultra under the lower edge of the screen in the alcove if needed. Ceiling is a drop ceiling, no acoustical treatments. Walls are sheetrock over aluminum frames. Dormer windows are located high up along the far left wall, when facing the screen. Typically now 50% movies / 30% games / 20 % music (mostly classic rock, some classical). By the way, the wife is tolerating the Aperions so far; the guests love them.

Any comments welcome
LL
rcoyne is offline  
post #5531 of 6928 Old 09-21-2011, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
That is a huge space. Something like the ultra is definitely in order. Maybe even two. I would also look at a Rythmik FV15 or one of Elemental Designs big ported beasts.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is offline  
post #5532 of 6928 Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Member
 
rcoyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: new jersey
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

That is a huge space. Something like the ultra is definitely in order. Maybe even two. I would also look at a Rythmik FV15 or one of Elemental Designs big ported beasts.

Oh, I can just feel my aching back already
rcoyne is offline  
post #5533 of 6928 Old 09-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rcoyne,

Have you given any consideration to the new SVS Dual Legato package? The advantage being two excellent subs for 300 more than the PB13Ultra.

The cylinder sub is unique and powerful,offering placement advantages a box sub can't. In terms of performance, there is virtually no difference between the cylinder and a ported box sub.

I have an SVS PC12 Plus, it is am amazing sub. I honestly had not considered a cylinder until I spoke with SVS about my wants and concerns about a sub.

I think if you read the specs on the Dual Legato, it has much to offer. You have a large area, dual subs would fit nicely in your plans.
BESLC is offline  
post #5534 of 6928 Old 09-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Member
 
rcoyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: new jersey
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BESLC View Post

rcoyne,

Have you given any consideration to the new SVS Dual Legato package? The advantage being two excellent subs for 300 more than the PB13Ultra.

The cylinder sub is unique and powerful,offering placement advantages a box sub can't. In terms of performance, there is virtually no difference between the cylinder and a ported box sub.

I have an SVS PC12 Plus, it is am amazing sub. I honestly had not considered a cylinder until I spoke with SVS about my wants and concerns about a sub.

I think if you read the specs on the Dual Legato, it has much to offer. You have a large area, dual subs would fit nicely in your plans.


I actually hadn't until you brought it up. They are fairly big beasts! But the main issue is that I was hoping to get something at least relatively close to the Aperion cherry finish--WAF requirements again. The SVS guys were kind enough to send me a sample of their cherry finish, and while not perfect, it is fairly close (or at least closer than a black cylinder).

If you are over 45, I'm sure you understand these sorts of inevitable WAF compromises. . .
rcoyne is offline  
post #5535 of 6928 Old 09-22-2011, 02:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Blueste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Took advantage of Aperion's one year Full Price Trade-Up Program and have Verus Grand Towers, Center and Verus Surrounds heading my way! Is it Tuesday, yet?

I almost hate to send back the 6T, 6C, and 5DB, I've enjoyed them so much.

As usual, Aperion's customer service is second to none. Thanks for all your help Jason!

Blue
Blueste is offline  
post #5536 of 6928 Old 09-22-2011, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brian6751's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canton, MI
Posts: 3,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoyne View Post


I actually hadn't until you brought it up. They are fairly big beasts! But the main issue is that I was hoping to get something at least relatively close to the Aperion cherry finish--WAF requirements again. The SVS guys were kind enough to send me a sample of their cherry finish, and while not perfect, it is fairly close (or at least closer than a black cylinder).

If you are over 45, I'm sure you understand these sorts of inevitable WAF compromises. . .

That's another good thing about the cylinders. I think the black fabric actually matches with other speakers much better than a black box. It goes from being the wrong color to just being different. The legato is nice if you have room for the external amp.

Elemental designs will do different finishes as well for only a few hundred more. I would tall to them. Someone had mentioned a stain color that is nearly a match for the Aperions before.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
brian6751 is offline  
post #5537 of 6928 Old 09-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Blueste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedarklord View Post

Hello y'all. I have a Klipsch synegry setup (F-2's) 7.1 running and svs pb12nsd sub. And now it is time for me to upgrade. I really love my svs sub. Which made me want to look at the svs mts speakers. That being said, i have now stumbbled acrossed the Aperion family of speakers. I am liking what i am seeing and reading here in this thread. I am looking into the verus grand setup 7.0. Would this be a lateral move or would I notice a great difference? Also, how would y'all compare the verus series to SVS's MTS series? I do plan on getting an emotiva XPA-5 amp at the same time I purcahse new speakers just to have engough POWAH! I mainly use the system 45/45 movies/games 10 music. Thanks for all of you guys input.


James

Odie,

A year ago I bought the Intimus 6T, 6C, 5DB, Bravus 12D to replace my Klipsch Synergy F1 5.1 system. I absolutely loved the Aperion speakers compared to the Klipsch. I found the horn tweeters to be very bright and fatiguing especially with music. The Aperions had a much more natural sound to them. I can remember a family member saying it hurt her ears when watching a movie with the Klipsch.

Now that the Verus line is out, I've heard people state it makes the Intimus sound bright. I think you will see a big difference/improvement in sound with the Aperion speakers vs. the Klipsch,

Good luck and have fun with your decision.

Blue
Blueste is offline  
post #5538 of 6928 Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Browninggold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Depends on who's looking for me
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoyne View Post

OK all you gurus with an SVS subwoofer mated to Aperion speakers--I need your advice

I currently have two VGTs and the VGC with old SVS 01 bookshelves serving as the surrounds, and an old SVS ported subwoofer (part of the original SVS 01 5.1 bundle).

Having contracted "upgraditis" after getting the Aperions, I am thinking of upgrading the subwoofer owing to some distortion with LFE. The SVS gurus have suggested the PB13 ultra--do you think this is overkill based on the basement room schematics below: (1) the 110" screen is mounted in a 9' wide x 2' deep alcove along one of the basement walls (44' long in total); (2) "side walls" run about 15' total (3) a large opening as diagrammed leads to the rest of the basement? Granted, the room is large, but the effective listening area so to speak is in the middle third, centered about the couch and armchairs. Distance to screen from there is about 11'. VGT and VGC placed about where indicated (ignore the VFT), VGTs toed in slightly. Ceilings are 8' tall, giving a dimension for the listening area of about 9 x 15 x 8 =1080 cu ft, but for the "main room" (excluding the large open space beyond the large opening in the wall) a dimension of 44 x 15 x 8 = 5280 cu ft. The current surrounds are on top of the "entertainment center" (a 6' tall Thomasville product) and may be upgraded to the new Aperion verus dipole/bipoles; the sub is to the right of the entertainment center when looking at the screen (behind the seating area). There is just enough room to fit a new sub / PB13 ultra under the lower edge of the screen in the alcove if needed. Ceiling is a drop ceiling, no acoustical treatments. Walls are sheetrock over aluminum frames. Dormer windows are located high up along the far left wall, when facing the screen. Typically now 50% movies / 30% games / 20 % music (mostly classic rock, some classical). By the way, the wife is tolerating the Aperions so far; the guests love them.

Any comments welcome

You will like the PB13 Ultra My room is 13'x22' and works great

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Browninggold is offline  
post #5539 of 6928 Old 09-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Member
 
mreggena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well after a year (yes I said a year!!) of purchasing my Aperion speakers I have finally got them setup! Finishing my basement took WAY longer than I had expected. Well as expected the speakers look absolutely amazing and sound great! However I have only done a few things to calibrate them and I am really not sure what other steps I should take. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is my setup – 6C for the center, two 4T’s in front sides, two 5DB’s for the surrounds, and a 10D sub. All connected to an Onkyo NX-808 receiver.

This is what I have done –
- Ran the Audyssey auto calibration setup
- For some reason it set the sub at being 21.5ft away and the center and front sides at being 18ft so I changed this to 18 to match the others because they are basically sitting right next to each other
- The Audyssey set the volume for the sub at 7db on the receiver. According to the Aperion Sub documentation it said to set the volume to 0 and then adjust it on the sub itself. Which is what I have done. The current volume on the sub is +12 and on the Movie setting.

So that’s it so far. I am sure I can tweek things more. What are your suggestions? For the most part everything sounds great, just sometimes I think I should feel more bass out of the sub but it could always be the content I am watching.

One thing is for sure is I quickly notice when content, especially movies on Netflix, are only 2.1…and it sucks! Its just not the same as 5.1! haha

Thanks,
Matt

JVC RS15
120" Elite Sable Screen
Onkyo NR-808 Receiver
Aperion 6C Center Channel, 4T Towers, 5DB Surrounds, and Bravus 10 sub
mreggena is offline  
post #5540 of 6928 Old 09-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Newbie
 
d.raucci's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

Does anyone live in the Greenville, SC area that owns some Aperion Verus speakers and perhaps a Bravia Sub? Would you be willing to allow for a demo of the speakers?

I have been looking for a long time for new speakers and recently the Aperion Verus have sifted to the top of my list based on all the reviews. I am not in a position to take advantage of the 30 trial, but still want to hear them to know if they are worth pursuing.

I appreciate all of the insight on this forum and am glad to have discovered it.

Best Regards,

D
d.raucci is offline  
post #5541 of 6928 Old 09-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Member
 
BESLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreggena View Post

Well after a year (yes I said a year!!) of purchasing my Aperion speakers I have finally got them setup! Finishing my basement took WAY longer than I had expected. Well as expected the speakers look absolutely amazing and sound great! However I have only done a few things to calibrate them and I am really not sure what other steps I should take. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is my setup - 6C for the center, two 4T's in front sides, two 5DB's for the surrounds, and a 10D sub. All connected to an Onkyo NX-808 receiver.

This is what I have done -
- Ran the Audyssey auto calibration setup
- For some reason it set the sub at being 21.5ft away and the center and front sides at being 18ft so I changed this to 18 to match the others because they are basically sitting right next to each other
- The Audyssey set the volume for the sub at 7db on the receiver. According to the Aperion Sub documentation it said to set the volume to 0 and then adjust it on the sub itself. Which is what I have done. The current volume on the sub is +12 and on the Movie setting.

So that's it so far. I am sure I can tweek things more. What are your suggestions? For the most part everything sounds great, just sometimes I think I should feel more bass out of the sub but it could always be the content I am watching.

One thing is for sure is I quickly notice when content, especially movies on Netflix, are only 2.1and it sucks! Its just not the same as 5.1! haha

Thanks,
Matt

First off welcome!
A couple of questions then a couple of suggestions which may help. Do you know what version of Audyssey you are running? When you did your calibration did you use the Audyssey Auto Setup and all of the recommended positions?

ON the sub settings are you at +12db on the sub or on the receiver?

Audyssey does a pretty decent job of calibration and setting filters, with the exception of the sub unless you are running Audyssey MultiEQXT32. If you are not running MultiEQXT32 the sub settings are marginal and may require some tweaking.

Having the sub distance greater than the speakers is very common. Generally speaking it is recommenced to leave the distance where the Auto Setup places it, since it is setting the distance based on what Audyssey is reading. Changing the distance could effect the filter settings on sub. You can adjust channel levels without effecting filter settings, but distance may change filter settings.

If your sub level is at +12db on either the receiver or the sub, that seems very high. You do not want a +12 on the receiver.

I would suggest you set your sub to By-Pass set the sub volume to zero(0) and rerun Audysssey. The thing you do not want is having the receiver sub level setting reach a max of -12db or +12db after calibration. If you are at -12db you adjust the sub volume on the sub up a couple of db and recalibrate. If you are at or near +12db on the sub level on the receiver, your sub volume is too high and you need to turn it down and recalibrate.

Ideally you you want a setting at or close to zero, but that is based on how it ultimately sounds to you.

I have Audyssey MultiEQXT,however in the end I set the sub using an SPL meter.

.
BESLC is offline  
post #5542 of 6928 Old 09-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Member
 
trilobyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ordered a 5.1 Verus Forte set over the weekend Should be here Friday. I'll try my best to give an impression.

My previous setup was just a pair of Klipsch Synergy B2s which were damaged in my cross-country move; so I only have that to compare. I had a C3 as a center channel but I'm selling it as the darn thing is too big to even fit in my new cabinet :-/
trilobyte is offline  
post #5543 of 6928 Old 09-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Blueste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post

Ordered a 5.1 Verus Forte set over the weekend Should be here Friday. I'll try my best to give an impression.

My previous setup was just a pair of Klipsch Synergy B2s which were damaged in my cross-country move; so I only have that to compare. I had a C3 as a center channel but I'm selling it as the darn thing is too big to even fit in my new cabinet :-/

Sweet! I think you'll love it over the Klipsch. Have fun!

Blue
Blueste is offline  
post #5544 of 6928 Old 09-28-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Audioholics preview of the Verus Surround's states that it is designed to be paired with the Verus Forte line more than the Verus Grand as it shares the same coaxial driver as the Verus Forte Satellite speaker...any comments on this Jason?
TitusTroy is offline  
post #5545 of 6928 Old 09-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Blueste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

Audioholics preview of the Verus Surround's states that it is designed to be paired with the Verus Forte line more than the Verus Grand as it shares the same coaxial driver as the Verus Forte Satellite speaker...any comments on this Jason?

I just hung mine today, and thought the woofer looked a little small to match with the Grand. Although, I know they are timbre matched.

I liked Tom Andry's Conclusion...

"...there is no denying it is a welcome addition to the line. Meant (from the driver choice) to be paired with the Verus Forte line rather than the Verus Grand, we look forward to the Verus Surround's bigger brother. Right, Aperion?"

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...s-surround-pre

Thanks,

Blue
Blueste is offline  
post #5546 of 6928 Old 09-29-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
losservatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,945
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Verus Grand tower or energy rc-70 tower?
which one have better sound for stereo set up..

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
losservatore is offline  
post #5547 of 6928 Old 09-29-2011, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreggena View Post

Well after a year (yes I said a year!!) of purchasing my Aperion speakers I have finally got them setup! Finishing my basement took WAY longer than I had expected. Well as expected the speakers look absolutely amazing and sound great! However I have only done a few things to calibrate them and I am really not sure what other steps I should take. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is my setup - 6C for the center, two 4T's in front sides, two 5DB's for the surrounds, and a 10D sub. All connected to an Onkyo NX-808 receiver.

This is what I have done -
- Ran the Audyssey auto calibration setup
- For some reason it set the sub at being 21.5ft away and the center and front sides at being 18ft so I changed this to 18 to match the others because they are basically sitting right next to each other
- The Audyssey set the volume for the sub at 7db on the receiver. According to the Aperion Sub documentation it said to set the volume to 0 and then adjust it on the sub itself. Which is what I have done. The current volume on the sub is +12 and on the Movie setting.

So that's it so far. I am sure I can tweek things more. What are your suggestions? For the most part everything sounds great, just sometimes I think I should feel more bass out of the sub but it could always be the content I am watching.

One thing is for sure is I quickly notice when content, especially movies on Netflix, are only 2.1and it sucks! Its just not the same as 5.1! haha

Thanks,
Matt

If you think the bass isn't hitting hard enough here a couple things you can try:

First if you aren't using a y adapter I recommend using one as it will increase the sub's output by about 3 dB.

Second if you have the older version of the 12D you might experiment with the low bass adjust and parametric EQ settings. For the parametric EQ setting I would try boosting the 30 Hz band by three or four dB.

Finally you can try lowering all of your other channel levels except for the sub. If you lower them all by the same amount you won't throw off your calibration and then you'll be forced to turn up your master volume which will send more signal to the sub.

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

Audioholics preview of the Verus Surround's states that it is designed to be paired with the Verus Forte line more than the Verus Grand as it shares the same coaxial driver as the Verus Forte Satellite speaker...any comments on this Jason?

The coaxial Verus Forte driver is timbre matched with the Verus Grand drivers. I have listened to the Forte Center, which also uses the coaxial driver, with the Grand Towers quite a bit and even in that context I thought they blended quite nicely. So I would respectfully disagree with the Audioholics assessment. The Forte and Grand speakers are most definitely intended to be used together from a design stand point as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

Verus Grand tower or energy rc-70 tower?
which one have better sound for stereo set up..

I don't know what kind of return policy your local Energy dealer has, but we give you a 30 day trial during which time you can return them for a full refund for any reason. We even cover return shipping so there's really no risk to check them out, thanks!
Hicks is offline  
post #5548 of 6928 Old 09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Blueste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

The coaxial Verus Forte driver is timbre matched with the Verus Grand drivers. I have listened to the Forte Center, which also uses the coaxial driver, with the Grand Towers quite a bit and even in that context I thought they blended quite nicely. So I would respectfully disagree with the Audioholics assessment. The Forte and Grand speakers are most definitely intended to be used together from a design stand point as well.

The other thing to mention, that write up wasn't a review it was a preview. If I am reading it right, they never listened to the Verus Surround. They just mentioned it was out and were going off written specs and pictures.

If I can add my $.02... I think the Verus Surround sounds awesome and I don't think anyone should hesitate to put it in their Verus system for surround duty. I think the port helps tremendously (the 5DB is sealed) for that small woofer to get "down there." On the flip side, I really liked the vertical array design of the Intimus 5DB.

Blue
Blueste is offline  
post #5549 of 6928 Old 09-29-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueste View Post

The other thing to mention, that write up wasn't a review it was a preview. If I am reading it right, they never listened to the Verus Surround. They just mentioned it was out and were going off written specs and pictures.

If I can add my $.02... I think the Verus Surround sounds awesome and I don't think anyone should hesitate to put it in their Verus system for surround duty. I think the port helps tremendously (the 5DB is sealed) for that small woofer to get "down there." On the flip side, I really liked the vertical array design of the Intimus 5DB.

Blue

Cool, thanks for the mini-review Blue!
Hicks is offline  
post #5550 of 6928 Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Member
 
dcg44s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I off my rocker or are the 4B.4BP,and 4C slightly cheaper now?
And the pictures of the medium cherry finish look darker.Did the finish change or is it just the pictures?
dcg44s is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off