*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 19 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > *** The Official APERION Thread ***

Speakers

caeguy's Avatar caeguy
10:00 AM Liked: 17
post #541 of 7015
01-26-2008 | Posts: 1,247
Joined: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koy View Post

I tried the 634Vac and 533Vac with the 533T's. The 634Vac worked great with the 533T's. The 634Vac did not overpower the 533T's and blended just right. Although the 533Vac sounded good the 634Vac sounded better and is worth the upgrade if you have the space and money. Either way you can't go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the insight. Accroding to Aperion, the 634 just has more presence and more bass to it. Since most audio in HT goes through the center channel, it sounds like it's worth the upgrade. As you mentioned, it is fairly large.
Koy's Avatar Koy
10:05 AM Liked: 10
post #542 of 7015
01-26-2008 | Posts: 148
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

I have a very similar setup and suspect you'll like yours! My only advice would be to also look at some of the specialist companies for your sub. Nothing against Aperion's offerings, but Hsu (VTF-2), SVSound (PB10), Epik (Valor) etc. have products in the same price range that can give you more boom for your buck. Of course, they won't match your speakers' finish as nicely and there's extra hassle involved, but if you're into bass the AVS subwoofer forum has all the info you need.

You may want to also consider Outlaw LFM-1 EX which is on sale for $549. The specs are similar to the HSU VTF-3 MK3 which sells for $699.

The outlaw sub sounds awesome with my set up (634Vac & 633T's).
Koy's Avatar Koy
10:07 AM Liked: 10
post #543 of 7015
01-26-2008 | Posts: 148
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by caeguy View Post

Thanks for the insight. Accroding to Aperion, the 634 just has more presence and more bass to it. Since most audio in HT goes through the center channel, it sounds like it's worth the upgrade. As you mentioned, it is fairly large.

Spot on! When I had the 533Vac it felt like it was missing something. With the 634Vac it sounded deeper and warmer and gives you that Wow factor.
jephdood's Avatar jephdood
01:31 PM Liked: 49
post #544 of 7015
01-26-2008 | Posts: 1,124
Joined: Feb 2004
I'd like to see them design a true 3-way version of the 633-T with the same mid that's in the 634-VAC. They could cross the tweet over a little higher and would be a perfect match to the VAC.
gspin2k1's Avatar gspin2k1
09:46 AM Liked: 10
post #545 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 291
Joined: Dec 2006
I finally received all the speakers for my Intimus 533-PT Cinema HD. I wonder though...if I theoretically changed out the 533-PT towers for the 533-T towers instead and got a single 10-12" sub (either Aperion or HSU)..would that possibly sound better (going from 2-way to 3-way towers, and dropping two 8" subs for a single 10-12" sub)?

~G
johnstonamerica's Avatar johnstonamerica
10:46 AM Liked: 10
post #546 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 56
Joined: Dec 2007
just a fun question - do most of you prefer grills on or grills off?
chriswigginton's Avatar chriswigginton
10:49 AM Liked: 10
post #547 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 225
Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonamerica View Post

just a fun question - do most of you prefer grills on or grills off?

I prefer them on. It seems safer and looks cleaner.
gspin2k1's Avatar gspin2k1
10:57 AM Liked: 10
post #548 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 291
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswigginton View Post

I prefer them on. It seems safer and looks cleaner.

+1
~G
kungfugrip12's Avatar kungfugrip12
02:06 PM Liked: 10
post #549 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 32
Joined: Dec 2006
This may be a shot in the dark but since I have not had a chance to audition Aperions (I know I can for 30 days) but has anyone done a comparison between NHT Classic 3 system and the Aperion Cinema 532 HD system?

I am not really concerned about the satellites of either system but more the bookshelf, center, and subs.

Are the aperions a MUCH better value for the money? (with this system?)

I am going to my local hi-end audio/video store this weekend to audition the NHTs. I am working on my first surround system with "real" speakers and I'd like to make a purchase that will make me happy for years to come.

I appreciate any and all thoughts about this.
Mikeb53's Avatar Mikeb53
03:19 PM Liked: 10
post #550 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 2007
Let me just say this...... if you got your kung fu grip on Aperions your hand would become paralized and not be able to let go, ..... ever.
jutley's Avatar jutley
03:48 PM Liked: 10
post #551 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 120
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonamerica View Post

just a fun question - do most of you prefer grills on or grills off?

For looks I prefer them on...for sound off, although they do still sound great with the grills on. With my HT in my family room, looks wins out.
gspin2k1's Avatar gspin2k1
03:59 PM Liked: 10
post #552 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 291
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

Let me just say this...... if you got your kung fu grip on Aperions your hand would become paralized and not be able to let go, ..... ever.

Yo Mike. what Aperions are you running? and what did you compare them against?
~G
Mikeb53's Avatar Mikeb53
06:08 PM Liked: 10
post #553 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 2007
I listened to JBL, KEF, Polk, a couple of others I don't remember what any more. Some in store and at friends homes. But I ordered Aperions and they beat the others hands down. My friend has JBL's and he really likes my setup.

Intimus 532 Cinema
NightToDay's Avatar NightToDay
07:19 PM Liked: 10
post #554 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 51
Joined: Jan 2008
I'm kind of a newbie to the land of higher end audio. I'm looking at the Aperion speakers and I'm hoping I can get a couple questions answered about the two systems I'm looking. Been reading this thread and hearing lots of good things.

Basically I will be picking up a pioneer kuro 5080 tv. I'll mainly be using the room for movies/games (music too but looking for the sound quality for movies first). I have to get the exact measurements for the room, but a solid estimate is 14'x22'x9' height (plus or minus 2 ft).

I'm looking at mainly 2 systems. The Intimus 532 Cinema XD series (2 532 L/r, 533 VAC, 2 534-SS dipole surround, s-12 sub) and also the Intimus 533 Cinema HD (2 533-T, 533 VAC, 2 532 L/R surround, s-10 sub).

How much of a sound quality difference is there between the two setups? Do the towers make a much bigger difference compared to those bookshelves? Also, if going towers, should I consider going up the the 533-pt's? I'll lose the sub in that set up but from what I've read it sounds like it won't make that much of a difference. One last Q, is there a sound quality difference between the 533-T and the 533-PT other than the sub?

I know this is long but I'd really appreciate the help. Pretty much the 533-pt series is the most I'd want to pay (so basically 2 grand). Thanks.
Hopstretch's Avatar Hopstretch
08:38 PM Liked: 10
post #555 of 7015
01-30-2008 | Posts: 756
Joined: Apr 2006
The powered towers are nice if you can't run a separate sub due to room (or wife) issues, but if you can and have $2K to spend I'd say get the 533 Cinema set and step up to an S-12.
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs
09:25 AM Liked: 14
post #556 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 842
Joined: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightToDay View Post

I'm looking at mainly 2 systems. The Intimus 532 Cinema XD series (2 532 L/r, 533 VAC, 2 534-SS dipole surround, s-12 sub) and also the Intimus 533 Cinema HD (2 533-T, 533 VAC, 2 532 L/R surround, s-10 sub).

How much of a sound quality difference is there between the two setups? Do the towers make a much bigger difference compared to those bookshelves? Also, if going towers, should I consider going up the the 533-pt's? I'll lose the sub in that set up but from what I've read it sounds like it won't make that much of a difference. One last Q, is there a sound quality difference between the 533-T and the 533-PT other than the sub?

I haven't had a chance to compare the 532s to the 533 towers but I have compared the 532 to the 633T. I would say the there's a slight improvement in mids and highs with the 633T (which you may not get with the 533T as that may be a 600 series improvement all around). But the biggest difference is in the bass extension. The 532 cuts off sooner than the 633T does. Obviously because the speaker is larger for the 633T. But other than that I must say that I was ABSOLUTELY blown away at how impressive the 532 sounds. I could not believe that bookshelf speakers could sound like that. I think if you have space considerations then go with the 532s and a sub and you'll be happy as can be. If you can fit them and have the budget I'd go with the 533Ts and a sub (not the PT but that's my preference only, I haven't auditioned them) -- the reason of course being the fuller sound extension, especially on the low end.

Mike
gspin2k1's Avatar gspin2k1
09:55 AM Liked: 10
post #557 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 291
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

The powered towers are nice if you can't run a separate sub due to room (or wife) issues, but if you can and have $2K to spend I'd say get the 533 Cinema set and step up to an S-12.

You mean the 532 set w/ the s-12?

~G
gspin2k1's Avatar gspin2k1
09:57 AM Liked: 10
post #558 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 291
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

I haven't had a chance to compare the 532s to the 533 towers but I have compared the 532 to the 633T. I would say the there's a slight improvement in mids and highs with the 633T (which you may not get with the 533T as that may be a 600 series improvement all around). But the biggest difference is in the bass extension. The 532 cuts off sooner than the 633T does. Obviously because the speaker is larger for the 633T. But other than that I must say that I was ABSOLUTELY blown away at how impressive the 532 sounds. I could not believe that bookshelf speakers could sound like that. I think if you have space considerations then go with the 532s and a sub and you'll be happy as can be. If you can fit them and have the budget I'd go with the 533Ts and a sub (not the PT but that's my preference only, I haven't auditioned them) -- the reason of course being the fuller sound extension, especially on the low end.

Mike

Yeah I currently have the 533-PT cinema HD set..I'm debating on trying out the 533-Ts (I can't afford the 633ts) instead w/ the S-10...I don't think I have space/money for the S-12. But i wonder if there would be that much of a difference between the two.

~G
Hopstretch's Avatar Hopstretch
10:11 AM Liked: 10
post #559 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 756
Joined: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspin2k1 View Post

You mean the 532 set w/ the s-12?

~G

No, I was actually suggesting that he get the 533 towers and center, plus 532 surrounds and the S-12 sub. That comes in just under his $2K limit. You can put together any package you want with their system builder and it's no more expensive than the pre-selected combos they sell.

Actually, if it was me, I would probably go for an MFW-15 sub from AV123, which will drop kick the S-12 out the window at the same $599 price point. But that's extra hassle, and it's backordered until March, and you have to pony up $100 more for a custom cherry finish if you want to perfectly match the Aperions. So there are obvious downsides to going that route.
TopGun916's Avatar TopGun916
10:21 AM Liked: 10
post #560 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 167
Joined: Sep 2007
Status update... I am not at the end of my trial yet but I decided to keep the 532 Cinnema set. Great for movies, gaming, tv, works wonderfully with my Onkyo 805. I love it! Question is, did you owners toss the boxes after the audition period? I am a bit tight on storage space...
Hopstretch's Avatar Hopstretch
10:23 AM Liked: 10
post #561 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 756
Joined: Apr 2006
My kids like to play in them. Good speakers + free toys -- can't beat it with a stick.
Mikeb53's Avatar Mikeb53
10:23 AM Liked: 10
post #562 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 2007
Tossed mine after about 4 months.
jutley's Avatar jutley
10:36 AM Liked: 10
post #563 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 120
Joined: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 View Post

Status update... I am not at the end of my trial yet but I decided to keep the 532 Cinnema set. Great for movies, gaming, tv, works wonderfully with my Onkyo 805. I love it! Question is, did you owners toss the boxes after the audition period? I am a bit tight on storage space...

I did for the same reason you are considering...storage space.
gspin2k1's Avatar gspin2k1
10:54 AM Liked: 10
post #564 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 291
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 View Post

Status update... I am not at the end of my trial yet but I decided to keep the 532 Cinnema set. Great for movies, gaming, tv, works wonderfully with my Onkyo 805. I love it! Question is, did you owners toss the boxes after the audition period? I am a bit tight on storage space...

I live in an apartment. after my trial is over...I think i will toss the boxes.
~G
Mikeb53's Avatar Mikeb53
11:09 AM Liked: 10
post #565 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 699
Joined: Jun 2007
I remember showing the boxes and velvet bags to friends, they all went OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH and AAAAAAAHHHHHHH.
NightToDay's Avatar NightToDay
11:18 AM Liked: 10
post #566 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 51
Joined: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

No, I was actually suggesting that he get the 533 towers and center, plus 532 surrounds and the S-12 sub. That comes in just under his $2K limit. You can put together any package you want with their system builder and it's no more expensive than the pre-selected combos they sell.

Actually, if it was me, I would probably go for an MFW-15 sub from AV123, which will drop kick the S-12 out the window at the same $599 price point. But that's extra hassle, and it's backordered until March, and you have to pony up $100 more for a custom cherry finish if you want to perfectly match the Aperions. So there are obvious downsides to going that route.

Yeah I was looking a little more and I'm thinking I might do the 533T's and go with the S12 sub route. There is a 30 day free trial and the upgrade thing, so I might try the bookshelves first, and then if I need the extra punch, go up to the 533T's. But who knows

Anyways with the S-12, I was starting to look at some other subs since I've been reading that I can get a solid sub from somewhere else (like HSU for example), and get a better bang for the same exact price. Any suggestions there? I've gota start doing some more research on this part. Luckily i'm not looking to buy the speaker system until the end of feb, early march so I have time to smooth out the final plans. Thanks for the advice so far everybody.

edit: apparently I should of read up this page of the thread for a couple of suggestions
gspin2k1's Avatar gspin2k1
12:53 PM Liked: 10
post #567 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 291
Joined: Dec 2006
So if I were to go
533-T
and S-10 (i don tthink i'd have the room for the s-12)


Would i see a significant difference between that and my current
533-PTs?

~G
chriswigginton's Avatar chriswigginton
01:09 PM Liked: 10
post #568 of 7015
01-31-2008 | Posts: 225
Joined: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 View Post

Question is, did you owners toss the boxes after the audition period? I am a bit tight on storage space...

For now, I am holding on to them. There is a possible move in the near future so I wanted to keep them around. I have limited storage space too, so they are actually stacked up in my foyer at the moment.
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs
12:49 AM Liked: 14
post #569 of 7015
02-01-2008 | Posts: 842
Joined: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 View Post

Question is, did you owners toss the boxes after the audition period? I am a bit tight on storage space...

I always keep every box I get that's electronic related. When I'm ready to upgrade I sell it on eBay and it's not only easier to ship with the original boxes but it increases resale value.

Now, having said that I have absolutely no plans to ever part with my 633Ts so I guess you could say I'm saving them in case I have a warranty issue at this point. Not likely though. In any case if space is tight and you want to keep them you can toss the box with the idea of "if I ever need to ship these back I can buy a new set of boxes from Aperion."

Mike
accts4mjs's Avatar accts4mjs
12:53 AM Liked: 14
post #570 of 7015
02-01-2008 | Posts: 842
Joined: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightToDay View Post

Anyways with the S-12, I was starting to look at some other subs since I've been reading that I can get a solid sub from somewhere else (like HSU for example), and get a better bang for the same exact price. Any suggestions there?

Another suggestion would be to look at Velodyne subs. I have the DLS-4000R (12" with a remote) and I absolutely love it. The bass is TIGHT. I think it outperforms the HSU personally but that's just me. A friend as a HSU and it's too boomy for my tastes. The HSU is rated to 20hz (I believe) and the 4000 goes to 25hz just so you're aware (but I've never noticed and things like the scene in War of the Worlds where they come out of the ground is house shaking ).

Mike
Tags: Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100

Gear in this thread
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3