AVS Forum banner
975K views 8K replies 994 participants last post by  Brian2109 
#1 ·
I've been hanging out here for couple of months and I did not see an official thread for Aperion. I have heard so much about them, and they are all positive. I currently own Athena Point5 and Mirage S12, but thinking to upgrade to Aperions.

I find very few Aperion threads scattered here and thought will start an official one.

I am planning to get 633T/634VAC and 534 SS next year and working on my budget. Any info's on Aperions would be great

#4,879 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks /forum/post/19872884

Yes we will be coming out with a Verus dipole/bipole I'm not firm on the release date but I hope that it will be in April or May.

No plans to do a Verus subwoofer per se, but the 12D is a great sub and will go considerably lower than the VGTs down to about 18 Hz. The high gloss black finish is the same as the Verus speakers.

In a 700 square foot room you'll need as much fire power as possible, but the VTGs/VGC/12D set up will be up to the task, and the Verus surrounds when they come out and then the VGBs for the rears should be great.

The Onkyo 3007 would be the minimum I'd recommend for that room, it certainly wouldn't hurt to step up to the 5007 or even a separate amp like the Emotivas that a lot of our customers use.

Hope that helps, thanks!

Terrific - looking forward to the Verus dipole/bipole pair, but in the meantime I suppose I could order/setup the 5.1 since my current room is less than half - @ ~300 sq ft - with 2 VGTs, 1 VGC, 2 VGBs. I have my doubts about the sub though, with the last week's review indicating less than stellar performance of the 12D - are there other options to consider for the sub - that would go well with the VGs ?

Understood your point about Onkyo 3007, but it seems like I should go for Onkyo 5007 due to a noticable difference - is that right ? Or is Marantz SR 6005 better ? Not sure about going for a seperate Amp - as that will double my receiver cost - would there be that much noticable difference when compared to Onkyo 5007 or Marantz SR 6005 (in the 700 sq ft / 9' high ceiling, room), that I should consider this option to get the best out of the VGs ?

Lastly, how do the VGTs compare with the CM9s of B&W ? I heard the CM9s yesterday and they did sound great. And which MLs can the VGTs stand up to ? Appreciate you taking the time, with your inputs - this exchange helps me a lot, with so many choices out there, but I'm less lost now !!

#4,880 ·
Looking at the Versus line for my home theater... Got a SV Sound PB13-Ultra so I'm good there. I run a 7.1 system right now, with an Onkyo TX-SR607. But I was planning on upgrading that to a TX-NR708 with a Emotiva UPA7 amp.

Here's the Verus speakers I would buy

The Front LR would be the Grand towers

The Center would be the Center Speaker

and for the Rear sides and Rear surrounds would have the Bookshelves

I listen to about 80% HT and 20%

What do you guys think?

#4,881 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVH /forum/post/19889310

Terrific - looking forward to the Verus dipole/bipole pair, but in the meantime I suppose I could order/setup the 5.1 since my current room is less than half - @ ~300 sq ft - with 2 VGTs, 1 VGC, 2 VGBs. I have my doubts about the sub though, with the last week's review indicating less than stellar performance of the 12D - are there other options to consider for the sub - that would go well with the VGs ?

Understood your point about Onkyo 3007, but it seems like I should go for Onkyo 5007 due to a noticable difference - is that right ? Or is Marantz SR 6005 better ? Not sure about going for a seperate Amp - as that will double my receiver cost - would there be that much noticable difference when compared to Onkyo 5007 or Marantz SR 6005 (in the 700 sq ft / 9' high ceiling, room), that I should consider this option to get the best out of the VGs ?

Lastly, how do the VGTs compare with the CM9s of B&W ? I heard the CM9s yesterday and they did sound great. And which MLs can the VGTs stand up to ? Appreciate you taking the time, with your inputs - this exchange helps me a lot, with so many choices out there, but I'm less lost now !!

I'll just put in my spin as this is a specific question I asked Jason--how the VGT's compared to the CM series. I too listened to the CM9s a few weeks ago and thought they sounded good--but they are almost twice as much as the VGTs. Jason commented that the B&Ws had a brighter top end--evidently a trait with English speakers. I did order a set of VGTs as well as the center--so I was convinced enough to give them a try.

#4,882 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatChuk /forum/post/19891576

Looking at the Versus line for my home theater... Got a SV Sound PB13-Ultra so I'm good there. I run a 7.1 system right now, with an Onkyo TX-SR607. But I was planning on upgrading that to a TX-NR708 with a Emotiva UPA7 amp.

Here's the Verus speakers I would buy

The Front LR would be the Grand towers

The Center would be the Center Speaker

and for the Rear sides and Rear surrounds would have the Bookshelves

I listen to about 80% HT and 20%

What do you guys think?

That sounds very close to what I want for my setup. Except I currently have Def Tech 800s for the surrounds (well I will once the VGTs arrive). But I will probably wait until they come out with a Versus surround before I replace the Def Techs. I do want a sub as well--and am leaning toward the HSU 15H or ULS-15. I have an Onkyo 808--of course I'm sure our rooms are different. In my case I have a 15x15x10 family room but it is not sealed and opens up into the rest of the house--no wall on one side.

#4,883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox /forum/post/19892043

That sounds very close to what I want for my setup. Except I currently have Def Tech 800s for the surrounds (well I will once the VGTs arrive). But I will probably wait until they come out with a Versus surround before I replace the Def Techs. I do want a sub as well--and am leaning toward the HSU 15H or ULS-15. I have an Onkyo 808--of course I'm sure our rooms are different. In my case I have a 15x15x10 family room but it is not sealed and opens up into the rest of the house--no wall on one side.

Mine is 16x12 by 18 feet (The ceiling is open to the 2nd floor)... I'd hold off on the VTF-15H from HSU, sounds like people are having some issues with them...

The Verus in Cherry looks gorgeous and will somewhat match the Rosenut PB13-Ultra I have.

#4,884 ·

Quote:

As much as I love my Aperion speakers, I was not as enamored with the 12D specs. So I went with a ULS-15. So far I'm loving the low bass extension. I may get a 2nd sub for more mid-bass and to fill out the room evenly.

#4,885 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs /forum/post/19892623

As much as I love my Aperion speakers, I was not as enamored with the 12D specs. So I went with a ULS-15. So far I'm loving the low bass extension. I may get a 2nd sub for more mid-bass and to fill out the room evenly.

I was less than impressed myself at first. After fine tuning the placement, and the adjustments in the subwoofer (low bass, eq etc.) I am quite pleased now. The built in adjustments are extensive enough to really make a difference. The remote control is pretty handy too.

The 12D is musical - tight, fast and clean, and I mostly listen to music. But I don't find it overly lacking for movies either (maybe in absolute extension), but it can be felt.

I was considering a SVS SB12-NSD before I made the purchase though (and there are other great sub manufacturers). I find the 12D plenty big physically, even being a 'smaller' sub, so I was limited by size too.

#4,886 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrummer /forum/post/19892791

I was less than impressed myself at first. After fine tuning the placement, and the adjustments in the subwoofer (low bass, eq etc.) I am quite pleased now. The built in adjustments are extensive enough to really make a difference. The remote control is pretty handy too.

The 12D is musical - tight, fast and clean, and I mostly listen to music. But I don't find it overly lacking for movies either (maybe in absolute extension), but it can be felt.

I was considering a SVS SB12-NSD before I made the purchase though (and there are other great sub manufacturers). I find the 12D plenty big physically, even being a 'smaller' sub, so I was limited by size too.

I listen to a lot of music and more so now than ever before since getting an AppleTV and streaming lossless music from iTunes and my iPad. As far as music, I love how the Aperions sound and while the bass does sound tight and musical, I think the Aperions overshadow the ULS-15. At least it sounds like it at the levels I have the ULS-15 programmed in. I calibrated it using an SPL meter and I guess because I'm a basshead, I could use more bass coming out of it in the mid-bass area. If I turn it up, the ULS-15 does perform really well, but then the overall sound level is a bit high to listen to for long periods of time. For movies, the ULS-15 is superb. It's quiet when it has to be and then blows you away when there is intense action. The low bass extension is where it shines. I really did want to complete my system from Aperion for my subwoofer, but there were just better options that I couldn't ignore out there and really wanted a 15" driver.

#4,887 ·
^^

Did you consider the ported 15H? That seems right for my room (large with one open wall) but I'm not sure it is right for me since I really do want something very musical to go along with the Verus. I am also considering an Apple TV to port music from iTunes.

#4,888 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox /forum/post/19893246

^^

Did you consider the ported 15H? That seems right for my room (large with one open wall) but I'm not sure it is right for me since I really do want something very musical to go along with the Verus. I am also considering an Apple TV to port music from iTunes.

Yes I did consider the VTF-15H. I had delayed my purchase awaiting their announcement of the VTF-15H. After much consideration, the smaller footprint, the lower bass extension, the musicality, and wireless capability (even though I didn't like how it sounded when I used that feature) sold me on the ULS-15. But I think I need to get a 2nd one to finish off my HT.

I think if Aperion Audio had a 15D with dual powered woofers and a bass extension down to 10-15Hz, I would have purchased my sub from them, but unfortunately there was no such product. I'm hoping it's in R&D as it's something I think Aperion needs to address to fill out their product line. I can totally see it being a monster sub that would compete with the other big boys in the sub arena.

#4,889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery /forum/post/19880416

Hicks, does that line of thought also extend to the center? If I put the center in the cabinet (in that slot right under the tv), how much room will I need to the sides and above, if any?

Because our centers are sealed you can place them in a cabinet with no problems. Really all that matters is that you place it at the edge of the cabinet and don't obstruct the drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scovarrubias23 /forum/post/19883677

Hey Hicks, I've been talking to Oliver over at Aperion, via email, and I asked him if my Onkyo TX-SR608 would work with the Verus speakers and he said that I'l be fine. He did recommend a more powerful A/V receiver or a separate amp for overall better sound quality. What is your take on this? I am about to pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks and I want to make sure that I make the right decision. I currently live in an apartment but will be moving to a much larger space in the near future, thats why I want to go with Verus. I will be buying an Onkyo TX-NR5008 or a Denon 4311CI in the future but not for a little while...

The 608 will be pretty good in a small room, but going up to an amp or an AVR like the 5008 or 4311 should be a pretty big bump in terms of dynamics and detail, regardless of the size space.

I think your plan of starting out with the 608, if you have it already, is a good one and then you can upgrade to a better AVR or amp when you can. Keep in mind that the 608 does not have the pre-outs necessary for use with a separate amp.

Quote:

If you look through this thread you can see what a lot of these guys are using for subs with their Aperion set ups. That said check out Thrummer's comments about the 12D for another point of view.

The CM9 is definitely a comparable speaker to the Verus Grands. Like spiritfox mentioned in general B&Ws tend to be a little brighter than our speakers, but that said I can't say that I have ever heard the CM9 and the VGT in the same room.

It's pretty difficult for me to make a direct comparison with an electrostat speaker like the MLs and a conventional dynamic driver design like ours, I'd say it's more of an apples and oranges situation.

#4,890 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs /forum/post/19893780

Yes I did consider the VTF-15H. I had delayed my purchase awaiting their announcement of the VTF-15H. After much consideration, the smaller footprint, the lower bass extension, the musicality, and wireless capability (even though I didn't like how it sounded when I used that feature) sold me on the ULS-15. But I think I need to get a 2nd one to finish off my HT.

I think if Aperion Audio had a 15D with dual powered woofers and a bass extension down to 10-15Hz, I would have purchased my sub from them, but unfortunately there was no such product. I'm hoping it's in R&D as it's something I think Aperion needs to address to fill out their product line. I can totally see it being a monster sub that would compete with the other big boys in the sub arena.

Thanks for your comments--and they seem to be along my way of thinking as well. I'm sure I really would need two ULS-15s for my room but that is just a bit too pricy right now. Ideally, I too would love an Asperion 15 inch driver solution--and as has been suggested, a Verus sub would be a nice addition to the line!

#4,892 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox /forum/post/19893962

...I too would love an Asperion 15 inch driver solution--and as has been suggested, a Verus sub would be a nice addition to the line!

Size is an issue for some people
, and a 15" would have to be large (and the 12D is already heavier than many similar sized subs). But I too would love to see Aperion offer something like this.

They seem to be on a roll... so you never know.

#4,893 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox
I'll just put in my spin as this is a specific question I asked Jason--how the VGT's compared to the CM series. I too listened to the CM9s a few weeks ago and thought they sounded good--but they are almost twice as much as the VGTs. Jason commented that the B&Ws had a brighter top end--evidently a trait with English speakers. I did order a set of VGTs as well as the center--so I was convinced enough to give them a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonLavs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
If you look through this thread you can see what a lot of these guys are using for subs with their Aperion set ups. That said check out Thrummer's comments about the 12D for another point of view.

The CM9 is definitely a comparable speaker to the Verus Grands. Like spiritfox mentioned in general B&Ws tend to be a little brighter than our speakers, but that said I can't say that I have ever heard the CM9 and the VGT in the same room.

It's pretty difficult for me to make a direct comparison with an electrostat speaker like the MLs and a conventional dynamic driver design like ours, I'd say it's more of an apples and oranges situation.
Thanks everyone - I should be pulling the trigger on the VG series tomorrow, to get to a 9.x system / hoping to mate them with an Onkyo 5007 or 5008 (does the XT-32 make a difference ?). The subs are still up in the air. And then finally, I hope to get the VG surrounds as well, when they get released :

Approx room dimensions - 40'x20'x9' ceiling ==> ~7000 cu ft ; Fronts - 2 VGTs ; Center - 1 VGC ; Side surrounds - 2 VG dipole/bipole stuff, whenever they come out ; Rears - 2 VGBs ; Front Heights - 2 VGBs - would this set me up for this decade ? I sure wouldn't be able to justify upgrading to my significant other, before then - unless I drown out the shrieks using the VGs and possibly some submersives or ... ???

#4,894 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVH /forum/post/19902088

Thanks everyone - I should be pulling the trigger on the VG series tomorrow, to get to a 9.x system / hoping to mate them with an Onkyo 5007 or 5008 (does the XT-32 make a difference ?). The subs are still up in the air. And then finally, I hope to get the VG surrounds as well, when they get released :

Approx room dimensions - 40'x20'x9' ceiling ==> ~7000 cu ft ; Fronts - 2 VGTs ; Center - 1 VGC ; Side surrounds - 2 VG dipole/bipole stuff, whenever they come out ; Rears - 2 VGBs ; Front Heights - 2 VGBs - would this set me up for this decade ? I sure wouldn't be able to justify upgrading to my significant other, before then - unless I drown out the shrieks using the VGs and possibly some submersives or ... ???

I am also interested in 9.2. Audyssey recommends adding wides 1st, heights 2nd, rears last, more sound from front stage is better according to their site. Good Luck

#4,896 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56
Has anybody just ordered the Verus bookshelves? If you have, and you are familiar with the Paradigm Mini Monitor V5 or V6, do you think the Verus bookshelves would be a clear upgrade on the Paradigms?
I have the book shelves plus the center. I am awaiting the towers. Temporarily, I am using the bookshelves as the L & F speakers. Eventually, they will be the surround speakers. So far, I am very pleased with the sound. I do not know how they compare to the Paradigms.

#4,897 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56
Has anybody just ordered the Verus bookshelves? If you have, and you are familiar with the Paradigm Mini Monitor V5 or V6, do you think the Verus bookshelves would be a clear upgrade on the Paradigms?
I have not A/B tested them under identical conditions (the ONLY way to adequately judge and compare speakers). Nevertheless, I am familiar with both. To my ears, the Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers are superior in imaging, transparency, and general/overall performance. The Paradigms may have a lead in the bass side of the presentation, but their cabinet resonance provides a level of distortion that I could not abide. To answer your question directly...yes the VGB are an upgrade.

But let your ears decide. Free shipping from and to, should you not like the Aperions. Can't beat that!

#4,898 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 /forum/post/19912610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide /forum/post/19916379

I have not A/B tested them under identical conditions (the ONLY way to adequately judge and compare speakers). Nevertheless, I am familiar with both. To my ears, the Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers are superior in imaging, transparency, and general/overall performance. The Paradigms may have a lead in the bass side of the presentation, but their cabinet resonance provides a level of distortion that I could not abide. To answer your question directly...yes the VGB are an upgrade.

But let your ears decide. Free shipping from and to, should you not like the Aperions. Can't beat that!

Indeed, checking them out for your self is the best way to determine if they are the best speakers for you.

However, I'll just add my two cents and say that in my admittedly biased opinion the Verus line is more comparable to the Studio or even the Signature series so the Verus Bookshelves shouldn't have any trouble besting the Paradigm Mini Monitors.

I hope that helps!

#4,899 ·
Sorry to bother you guys w/ another dumb speaker placement question, but ....

My 5B surrounds. Recall this is a 5.1 setup, so these are the surrounds not the "rear surrounds" of a 7.1, but I don't really have a place to put them that's to the sides.

They are temporarily on two side tables, and I don't want to leave them like this because it clutters up the room. I am going to add a shelf just behind the couch and was tentatively placing the 5Bs there .... but I'm worried that will be too close to the ears of people seated on the couch.

So now I'm thinking of putting them on wall mounts and getting them up higher.

If wall mounts are the ideal solution, how high and how far apart should they be placed? If not, any other suggestions?

#4,900 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery /forum/post/19928338

Sorry to bother you guys w/ another dumb speaker placement question, but ....

My 5B surrounds. Recall this is a 5.1 setup, so these are the surrounds not the "rear surrounds" of a 7.1, but I don't really have a place to put them that's to the sides.

They are temporarily on two side tables, and I don't want to leave them like this because it clutters up the room. I am going to add a shelf just behind the couch and was tentatively placing the 5Bs there .... but I'm worried that will be too close to the ears of people seated on the couch.

So now I'm thinking of putting them on wall mounts and getting them up higher.

If wall mounts are the ideal solution, how high and how far apart should they be placed? If not, any other suggestions?

If it were me I'd try and shoehorn some stands in behind the couch that are high enough so the woofers aren't blocked. Since you have that lamp back there it looks like you may have space to do that.

If that's not an option then I would probably go the wall mount route, and mount them four to five feet off the ground and then just an inch or two to the side of the couch.

#4,902 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatChuk /forum/post/19933122

Hey Jason,

What can you tell us about the new Verus Forte line? How do they compare to the Grand Verus and Intimus line?

Perfect timing, I was just coming here to announce the Verus Forte line.

They use Kevlar woofers and radiator tweeters like the Verus Grand, but the woofers are all four inch and in the bookshelf and center its a mini version of the ASR tweeter that we use in the Grands and Forte towers.

I did some A/Bing with the Forte Towers and the 5Ts and thought the highs were smoother and the bass was a smidge beefier in Fortes. They aren't completely broken in yet, but at least out of the box I give the edge in the midrange department to the 5T. I'll have to revisit that one again once we get a little more play time under their belt.

In any event, check them out new 4" tower, bookshelf and center!

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...96,89,840.aspx

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...97,89,842.aspx

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...94,89,838.aspx