*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 197 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5881 of 6947 Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My profile is my setup. I checked online for something to put under the spikes so as not to rip carpet into the hardwood floors. Read somewhere where a quarter works just as good...so that's what I ended up doing. Really cannot see the quarter carpet is "shaggy". Very stable though. I would not imagine a toddler could knock them over using a quarter unless the toddlers name is "Bam-Bam"

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 6947 Old 03-12-2012, 08:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

Oh, I seem to remember that they also have some rubber foot of something that you use with the spikes to protect hard floors and stuff....can you post pictures of your towers?

I'd like to see how they look with the spikes on....do they add more stability to them? By the time I plan to buy mine my baby is gonna be a toddler and I'm a little worried...

I was considering the outriggers from soundocity.com. Tom Norton from Home Theater Mag used them and recommended them over the stock ones... I'm looking for user opinions...Plus it'd be fun to see some more pics of the Grand towers!

Thanks

Do you have a link for these outriggers, I could not find any on their site?
post #5883 of 6947 Old 03-13-2012, 05:34 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayoVac329 View Post

Do you have a link for these outriggers, I could not find any on their site?

You can see the gallery here: http://soundocity.com/Gallery.html

Here is What Tom Norton had to say :

One problem with the Verus Grand Tower's narrow cabinet is that it isn't highly stable, particularly on a carpeted floor. Spiking would help, but the spikes that Aperion provides are a bit too wide and dull to punch through most carpets. But there is an aftermarket solution. A company called Soundocity (soundocity.com) offers Spike Barsoutriggersthat not only stabilize a tall, narrow speaker but also have top-mounted adjustments that make leveling easier (see photo). They are not only functional but also add to the Verus' high-end looks.

HomeTheater.com review with sample pic here: http://www.hometheater.com/content/a...-system-page-3

Don't follow me, I'm lost too -Unknown
SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #5884 of 6947 Old 03-13-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Yeah I have to disagree, I think the Verus Grand Tower is fairly stable and it's pretty tough to tip them over unintentionally. It's a 65 lb. speaker so your typical baby/toddler is not going to be able to tip them without some serious effort.

As for the spikes, if they are on carpet they dig in and do make the speaker more stable. But if you use the discs on a hard surface then the speaker becomes less stable as it is fairly easy to knock them off the discs.

I hope that helps!
post #5885 of 6947 Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Yeah I have to disagree, I think the Verus Grand Tower is fairly stable and it's pretty tough to tip them over unintentionally. It's a 65 lb. speaker so your typical baby/toddler is not going to be able to tip them without some serious effort.

As for the spikes, if they are on carpet they dig in and do make the speaker more stable. But if you use the discs on a hard surface then the speaker becomes less stable as it is fairly easy to knock them off the discs.

I hope that helps!

Thanks Jason for your reply! So unless someone is going to use the speakers on a carpet you don't recommend user to install the spikes with the rubber disks?

Do have pictures of the speakers with the spikes on? I'm still interested on seeing how they look with them on...how much height to they add?

SETUP: PC with JRiver MC and PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 via HDMI -> Sierra-2 LCR & Energy Take Classic surrounds \-> Epson 8350
Check out GEEK WAVE: A digital audio player and high quality DAC for your smartphone Check it out HERE
post #5886 of 6947 Old 03-14-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwankenobi View Post

Thanks Jason for your reply! So unless someone is going to use the speakers on a carpet you don't recommend user to install the spikes with the rubber disks?

Do have pictures of the speakers with the spikes on? I'm still interested on seeing how they look with them on...how much height to they add?

If you are concerned with stability then I wouldn't use the spikes and discs on a hard floor. They won't sound quite as clear, but I think they still sound great without the spikes.

The spikes only add about half an inch of height, so there isn't much to see, but here you go:

post #5887 of 6947 Old 03-14-2012, 01:04 PM

OK, I see now...they really don't add much.

Thanks a lot Jason!!

post #5888 of 6947 Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Aperion, Is it ok to mix Verus and Intimus speakers?

In my setup I have 6T, 5C, 4B (Heights), 4BP (Surr), no sub as the 6T's run "full".

I'm thinking of upgrading, but dont know if its possible to mix and match, or If I should sell and buy all new.

I'm looking to possibly upgrade the Center and Surrounds.
post #5889 of 6947 Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Aperion, Is it ok to mix Verus and Intimus speakers?

In my setup I have 6T, 5C, 4B (Heights), 4BP (Surr), no sub as the 6T's run "full".

I'm thinking of upgrading, but dont know if its possible to mix and match, or If I should sell and buy all new.

I'm looking to possibly upgrade the Center and Surrounds.

Hey Lou,

Technically they are not timbre matched. Having said that, I think the sound between the two lines is similar enough that they can be used together if you wish.

I used a pair of Verus Forte Towers with an Intimus 6 series center for a while and it never bothered me.

For the surrounds I would say it's definitely not an issue, for the fronts and center it's still probably OK unless you have a more discriminating ear than I do.

I hope that helps!
post #5890 of 6947 Old 03-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Do you have any B-Stock available in Piano black? Also - Do you happen to have a 6T cover grille laying around? Mine arrived cracked but it was B stock so I didn't worry about it at the time. I made it worse throughout the years haha.. Anyway - If I upgrade, I'd like to buy the grille so that I can sell the 6T's "mint".
post #5891 of 6947 Old 03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you have any B-Stock available in Piano black? Also - Do you happen to have a 6T cover grille laying around? Mine arrived cracked but it was B stock so I didn't worry about it at the time. I made it worse throughout the years haha.. Anyway - If I upgrade, I'd like to buy the grille so that I can sell the 6T's "mint".

I'm not sure which speakers you were looking for, but why don't you give us a call or log into chat and we can tell you what we have.

I don't think we have any more 6T grilles but we can look around and if we do have one then it's yours.
post #5892 of 6947 Old 03-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

I'm looking at the VGC - In black of course...
and Awesome!
post #5893 of 6947 Old 03-18-2012, 07:59 PM

Okay, going to throw my Aperion experience out there to help some future buyers that may be lurking in the wings.

So, there I was, middle of nowhere Afghanistan and I was researching for a home theater set up to put together when I got home. I was originally being fairly conservative and looking into something cheap like a set of Jamo speakers until I stumbled across a review for the Verus Grand system. I just knew from that moment I had to have them, the supposed great sound, that beautiful piano black finish.

And they better look great, not so much because of the price tag, but if I was to convince my wife to let me get them, they had better not look ugly!

So fast forward a few months and a few pints of drool later, I finally ordered them. Not only was the customer service on the phone great, but very patient as well. With my initial order I got the whole verus grand set up and a 10D subwoofer. I was bit sad at first that I couldn't get a 12D but when the 10D rattled a photo off the wall I quickly got over it. Anyway, not sure if I should say anything, wouldn't want to get Matt in trouble but as a little military bonus and in exchange for some neat photos of Afghanistan an SPL and cleaning kit might have somehow fallen into my box. Both Matt and Oliver were great to deal with on the phone, because, unfortunately I had to make a few phone calls on my system.

Why so many phone calls? When I first unboxed my towers one of them had a broken screw in the bottom. Very minor detail, but darn it I wanted perfection. So, they shipped a whole new tower out for me to enjoy. Believe me, these towers are not light! I was excited when my new tower came, and within the same week too! A few days go by and I'm not sure how I didn't notice it when I first unboxed my second tower but there was a large dent and crack right on the front edge. Sadly, I made yet another phone call and pestered Matt. Again, a new tower was shipped out and arrived within the same week. Thankfully, this one was pristine and I have not had to call and bother poor Matt or Oliver again.

Yes, so the customer service is amazing, second to none and all that jazz. I'm sure if I called them and said that my cat was stuck in a tree they would throw together a road trip to help out.

But how does the whole system sound? Okay, I came from a pretty basic home theater in a box. This upgraded system was basically as if Audius the God of sound came out from the sky and punched me in the ear. I have it all hooked up to a Marantz SR7005 and couldn't be happier. I don't think the neighbors are as happy as I am, but that's their problem. Another example, very often I will be playing a game, watching a movie and yell at the cat or a dog. Why? Because I think they're getting into trouble, that's why. Only they're not, it's just background noise coming from a surround speaker. Thanks Aperion, you've made me lose my cat's friendship while watching Dark Knight.

I got used to the upgrade in my home theater pretty quick too. I gave away my old boxed system to a friend and when he played his iPod on it I couldn't believe I used to listen to such a piece of crap. Of course, I didn't tell him that, he was happy with it.

Anyway, the too long didn't read version ; Customer service will bend over backwards for you, save your cat from a tree, and the sound quality will blow you away. The sound is so good you'll yell at imaginary animals that do not exist.
post #5894 of 6947 Old 03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm looking at the VGC - In black of course...
and Awesome!

I do have one VGC in black in B stock, but it's in pretty rough shape with extensive cracks. Sorry but I wouldn't really feel comfortable shipping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

Okay, going to throw my Aperion experience out there to help some future buyers that may be lurking in the wings.

So, there I was, middle of nowhere Afghanistan and I was researching for a home theater set up to put together when I got home. I was originally being fairly conservative and looking into something cheap like a set of Jamo speakers until I stumbled across a review for the Verus Grand system. I just knew from that moment I had to have them, the supposed great sound, that beautiful piano black finish.

And they better look great, not so much because of the price tag, but if I was to convince my wife to let me get them, they had better not look ugly!

So fast forward a few months and a few pints of drool later, I finally ordered them. Not only was the customer service on the phone great, but very patient as well. With my initial order I got the whole verus grand set up and a 10D subwoofer. I was bit sad at first that I couldn't get a 12D but when the 10D rattled a photo off the wall I quickly got over it. Anyway, not sure if I should say anything, wouldn't want to get Matt in trouble but as a little military bonus and in exchange for some neat photos of Afghanistan an SPL and cleaning kit might have somehow fallen into my box. Both Matt and Oliver were great to deal with on the phone, because, unfortunately I had to make a few phone calls on my system.

Why so many phone calls? When I first unboxed my towers one of them had a broken screw in the bottom. Very minor detail, but darn it I wanted perfection. So, they shipped a whole new tower out for me to enjoy. Believe me, these towers are not light! I was excited when my new tower came, and within the same week too! A few days go by and I'm not sure how I didn't notice it when I first unboxed my second tower but there was a large dent and crack right on the front edge. Sadly, I made yet another phone call and pestered Matt. Again, a new tower was shipped out and arrived within the same week. Thankfully, this one was pristine and I have not had to call and bother poor Matt or Oliver again.

Yes, so the customer service is amazing, second to none and all that jazz. I'm sure if I called them and said that my cat was stuck in a tree they would throw together a road trip to help out.

But how does the whole system sound? Okay, I came from a pretty basic home theater in a box. This upgraded system was basically as if Audius the God of sound came out from the sky and punched me in the ear. I have it all hooked up to a Marantz SR7005 and couldn't be happier. I don't think the neighbors are as happy as I am, but that's their problem. Another example, very often I will be playing a game, watching a movie and yell at the cat or a dog. Why? Because I think they're getting into trouble, that's why. Only they're not, it's just background noise coming from a surround speaker. Thanks Aperion, you've made me lose my cat's friendship while watching Dark Knight.

I got used to the upgrade in my home theater pretty quick too. I gave away my old boxed system to a friend and when he played his iPod on it I couldn't believe I used to listen to such a piece of crap. Of course, I didn't tell him that, he was happy with it.

Anyway, the too long didn't read version ; Customer service will bend over backwards for you, save your cat from a tree, and the sound quality will blow you away. The sound is so good you'll yell at imaginary animals that do not exist.

Thanks for posting your experience, sorry about the trouble but I'm glad we worked it out for you!
post #5895 of 6947 Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post

Just want to second that emotion. I'm deployed to Afghanistan now too- ordered my system a little over a month ago for the January special and got delayed delivery for when I get back. Even changed my order slightly to swap out surrounds for the bookshelves. Can't wait to get back and try them out, and customer service has been prompt and spot on.
post #5896 of 6947 Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I do have one VGC in black in B stock, but it's in pretty rough shape with extensive cracks. Sorry but I wouldn't really feel comfortable shipping it.

Thanks for posting your experience, sorry about the trouble but I'm glad we worked it out for you!

I just read this on hometheater.com:

"As far as sound quality is concerned, minus their bass performance, it's difficult to distinguish between the Verus Bookshelf and the larger Verus Tower. The Verus Towers do play deeper and will play louder but, within reason, the two are clearly cut from the same cloth, possessing the same seductive midrange and surprisingly refined and open top end. The Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers have tremendous coherence across their frequency range and while they do require a sub or two for true bass reproduction, the bass they possess is quite surprising. Their ability to cast a wide and deep soundstage is equally impressive as is their ability to disappear within it."

I would like to know if a person could have a similar sounding grand verus setup with the aperion grand bookshelfs in place of the grandtowers in a big room...If you have great sub?
post #5897 of 6947 Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Murderousone View Post

I just read this on hometheater.com:

"As far as sound quality is concerned, minus their bass performance, it's difficult to distinguish between the Verus Bookshelf and the larger Verus Tower. The Verus Towers do play deeper and will play louder but, within reason, the two are clearly cut from the same cloth, possessing the same seductive midrange and surprisingly refined and open top end. The Verus Grand Bookshelf speakers have tremendous coherence across their frequency range and while they do require a sub or two for true bass reproduction, the bass they possess is quite surprising. Their ability to cast a wide and deep soundstage is equally impressive as is their ability to disappear within it."

I would like to know if a person could have a similar sounding grand verus setup with the aperion grand bookshelfs in place of the grandtowers in a big room...If you have great sub?

In my opinion, no, not really. Maybe in a small room or if you are only doing home theater and no music. But in a good sized room for at least some music I think it's a pretty significant difference in terms of the midrange fullness and soundstage width in addition to the bass extension. Not to mention that the VGT is more sensitive, so you can get more sound out of it with less power. The VGT just sounds a lot bigger and to my ear it gives you a more true-to-life presentation. Which isn't to say the VGB is bad, in fact it's a great bookshelf speaker. But it's usually best suited for small to medium sized rooms.

I hope that helps!
post #5898 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I returned my defective, less than 3-year-old, subwoofer to Aperion a couple of weeks ago and this is their reply:

"unfortunately it looks like your sub is unrepairable. However, there are two options as to how we can proceed--either we can replace it with the new version for you if you're willing to wait until they come in, or we can offer you a refund for your purchase price. Turns out we will not be able to get any replacement electronics for the subwoofer you have now; the manufacturer unfortunately can no longer produce the amplifier in your subwoofer, and the new ones are different in design and specs; we also are no longer making the subwoofers in the cherry finish, but if gloss black works, we would be willing to give you a new version of the subwoofer"
post #5899 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

I returned my defective, less than 3-year-old, subwoofer to Aperion a couple of weeks ago and this is their reply:

"unfortunately it looks like your sub is unrepairable. However, there are two options as to how we can proceed--either we can replace it with the new version for you if you're willing to wait until they come in, or we can offer you a refund for your purchase price. Turns out we will not be able to get any replacement electronics for the subwoofer you have now; the manufacturer unfortunately can no longer produce the amplifier in your subwoofer, and the new ones are different in design and specs; we also are no longer making the subwoofers in the cherry finish, but if gloss black works, we would be willing to give you a new version of the subwoofer"

so it was a 12D I take it?

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #5900 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Awesome
post #5901 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Awesome

Eh, not so awesome for me.
post #5902 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Ah I see, It sucks that the sub's wont come in cherry. I guess Aperion is going all black subs like the rest of em..
post #5903 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:

Ah I see, It sucks that the sub's wont come in cherry. I guess Aperion is going all black subs like the rest of em..

Correct and this is my dilemma.

Since money is not the issue what would you do?

1) Take a refund and shop for another manufacturer's sub w/a cherry finish, which hopefully would be a close match to what was, my Intimus 7.1 speaker package?

or

2) Take a new 12-D sub w/the black gloss finish?
post #5904 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct and this is my dilemma.

Since money is not the issue what would you do?

1) Take a refund and shop for another manufacturer's sub w/a cherry finish, which hopefully would be a close match to what was, my Intimus 7.1 speaker package?

or

2) Take a new 12-D sub w/the black gloss finish?

i would take the refund honestly. i have a SVS SB13-plus in American cherry and it matches my 6T's pretty well. it also outperforms the 12D pretty easily. That says a lot because I really liked my 12D.

post #5905 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand it's a frustrating situation, but I think our offer to either give you a new sub or a refund of your full purchase price for a sub that you have had in your possession for over two years is a pretty generous offer.

For me, it is a bit discouraging that you feel the need to warn others to beware of us when we are going out of the way to present every possible solution for you.
post #5906 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I understand it's a frustrating situation, but I think our offer to either give you a new sub or a refund of your full purchase price for a sub that you have had in your possession for over two years is a pretty generous offer.

Why is it considered generous to honor the warranty?
Quote:

For me, it is a bit discouraging that you feel the need to warn others to beware of us when we are going out of the way to present every possible solution for you.

I am discouraged that Aperion cannot repair my speaker after I was led to believe this would be the likely resolution during the past few weeks.
post #5907 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

i would take the refund honestly. i have a SVS SB13-plus in American cherry and it matches my 6T's pretty well. it also outperforms the 12D pretty easily. That says a lot because I really liked my 12D.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your response.

Why did you replace your 12D?
post #5908 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why is it considered generous to honor the warranty?I am discouraged that Aperion cannot repair my speaker after I was led to believe this would be the likely resolution during the past few weeks.

If you read our warranty policy here nowhere does it state that we will offer you a full refund.

Of course given that we don't produce that product any longer offering a refund is the right thing to do, but I just want to point out that by doing that we are going beyond what our official policy states.

I am discouraged that we don't have the parts on hand to repair your sub as well, but unfortunately that's the situation. Like I said it is frustrating, not only for you but for me as well, but I do feel like we are trying our hardest to present a fair resolution for you.
post #5909 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Disappointing I know, but Aperion has offered the only possible solutions, other than retrofitting the new electronics in with the old cabinet (probably not a realistic option)...if it can't be fixed it can't be fixed. As the stones say..."you can't always get what you want, but you just might find, you get what you need".

You lose some the esthetic "match", but the gloss black is a beautiful speaker (most speaker company's charge extra for the same treatment). If that doesn't work, take the FULL refund and buy something else that meets your needs better. As far as I can tell, you still have two viable options.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5910 of 6947 Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your response.

Why did you replace your 12D?

Well like I said, I really liked the 12D but I needed more output and as good as the 12D was, the sb13 just out muscles it in every category.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page