Originally Posted by Mr Vermouth
This is a partial repost from the main page on the recommendation of one of the posters. I'm putting together my first audio setup and am in need of advice as I'm seriously considering Aperion.
Maximum budget will be around $3.5k for 5.1, not including receiver. Lower would be better, but we'll see... Usage will be around 40% movies/TV; 40% games; and 20% music.
The acoustics-unfriendly details (also see attached pictures):
- Main area of the room has 10' concrete ceilings (I know, I know: reflections -- but I do have a giant fluffy rug in between the main listening position and the TV even though other room treatments are unlikely to happen);
- Main room opens directly into the kitchen which is an additional 10' in depth, with an 8' drywall ceiling;
- The entire left side of the room(s) is floor-to-ceiling glass (more fun reflections!);
- Total room dimensions: 2,015 ft³ (listening area only) or ~3,000 ft³ (listening and kitchen).
I've been leaning towards the Aperion Versus Grand Towers/Center/Surrounds based on a coworker's great experience with Aperion's Forte line, as well as the speakers' looks (I know).
- Would the Grand Towers be wasted or overkill in this space -- i.e. should I look to the Grand bookshelves? Or is my budget a waste given the acoustic limitations of the space?
- Surrounds will have to be stand mounted or on a shelf behind and to the left and right of the couch due to the glass. Does this impact the choice of bi/dipoles vs standard bookshelves?
- The Grand Center is too tall for my cabinet, so I'm considering wall mounting above the TV (5.5'-6'). Any recommended solutions or concerns -- other than it ripping out of the wall!?
Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the long-winded post/repost!!!
Considering the opening to the right of the screen and that you don't have a back wall I think towers are the way to go. At least the Verus Forte Towers, but since music is 20% of your usage I don't think the Verus Grand Towers would necessarily be overkill.
For the center, five and a half feet is kind of high but not too bad. Unfortunately I don't know of a pivot mount that will support the Verus Grand Center. If you could place it on a shelf and shim the back of it to angle it down that should work reasonably well. The other option is maybe you can place it on a stand to get it closer to ear level. You could also go for the Verus Forte Center which does a great job up to distances around 13-14 feet.
For the surrounds since you are doing stands that will be pretty close to your listening position, you should be fine with the Forte Satellites. The Verus Surround will ideally be wall mounted around five to six feet, so unless you can do that on the walls to your sides or slightly behind you I don't think they will be worth it.
I hope that helps!
Originally Posted by panzer
I have have been waiting to buy either the verus grandtower or the bookshelfs in cherry for awile now, but I am wondering how reliable the shipping dates are, I have been burned before on promists shipping dates, I am also going to buy the svs psd 12and am trying to decide the merits of using a sub with a bookshelf compared to a full range speaker, I could use some advice on this, thanks
We definitely have a shipment coming in around 5/14. On that shipment there are enough Verus Grand Bookshelves in cherry for us to be in stock for a while. But all of the Verus Grand Towers in cherry from that shipment are already sold. The next shipment of cherry VGTs will arrive on 6/6. But it's not that big of a shipment so it is highly likely that we sell through it before it arrives too.
Bottom line, if you are thinking about ordering the VGT in cherry I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later so you don't end up watching that date slide backwards as we sell out of successive shipments. But if you are going for the VGBs, the stock situation looks much better with any out of stocks being only for a brief period.
To everyone that is waiting on back ordered product, thanks for your patience!