*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 198 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5911 of 6974 Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Never heard the 12D but I too really like my SV PB13 Ultra...also look @ HSU, EPIK & OUTLAW

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5912 of 6974 Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Aperion family - my rather typical apartment (with bare walls, a sofa, and a few curtains and a rug) has some bass bloom. Audyssey detected alot of bass blooming and stripped it off my 6T's. My left speaker is placed in a corner and there's nothing I can do about that.

Below is a snapshot of Audysseys EQ:

Would you guys have any suggestions in tackling this problem physically (Rather than through Audyssey?). For starters I purchased a few Corning 709 boards to be used as DYI acoustic panels but I dont think this will do anything for bass.
post #5913 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Disappointing I know, but Aperion has offered the only possible solutions, other than retrofitting the new electronics in with the old cabinet (probably not a realistic option)...if it can't be fixed it can't be fixed. As the stones say..."you can't always get what you want, but you just might find, you get what you need".

You lose some the esthetic "match", but the gloss black is a beautiful speaker (most speaker company's charge extra for the same treatment). If that doesn't work, take the FULL refund and buy something else that meets your needs better. As far as I can tell, you still have two viable options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

Well like I said, I really liked the 12D but I needed more output and as good as the 12D was, the sb13 just out muscles it in every category.

Thanks guy's I appreciate your response. Aperion has offered to refund the purchase price of $1099 for the 12D and I am tempted to take the money and buy a different subwoofer.

Coincidentally, I asked Aperion if they could recommend a competitor's product that would meet my interest in obtaining another subwoofer with cheery veneer cabinet and Aperion pointed me to the SVS PB13-ULTRA and SVS SB13-Plus.

From an aesthetic and audio match standpoint how well do you think the SVS PB13-ULTRA would complement my Intimus 6T Hybrid HD system?
post #5914 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post

Thanks guy's I appreciate your response. Aperion has offered to refund the purchase price of $1099 for the 12D and I am tempted to take the money and buy a different subwoofer.

Coincidentally, I asked Aperion if they could recommend a competitor's product that would meet my interest in obtaining another subwoofer with cheery veneer cabinet and Aperion pointed me to the SVS PB13-ULTRA and SVS SB13-Plus.

From an aesthetic and audio match standpoint how well do you think the SVS PB13-ULTRA would complement my Intimus 6T Hybrid HD system?

if you have the room get the ultra. if you need to stay the same size as the 12D get the sb13 plus

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #5915 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if you have the room get the ultra. if you need to stay the same size as the 12D get the sb13 plus

they are both awesome. I have never heard the ultra but it will have much more low end output than the sb13. call SVS. they will know best. customer service is right there with Aperion.

post #5916 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

If you can get the PB 13 then you will never have to upgrade but it will be around another 900 $. The 12 doesn't have Cherry as a option only black. And I agree SV also has excellent customer service and Ed is frequently on the thread of the PB 13 and always answers questions when emailing him @ SV.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #5917 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

If you can get the PB 13 then you will never have to upgrade but it will be around another 900 $. The 12 doesn't have Cherry as a option only black. And I agree SV also has excellent customer service and Ed is frequently on the thread of the PB 13 and always answers questions when emailing him @ SV.

talking about the SB13-plus. only available in cherry.

post #5918 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sealed thanks...I took it since the PB was mentioned he only wanted ported

post #5919 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Thanks for your input guys, I think I will ask Aperion for a refund and then give the SVS Ultra 13 a serious look.

Since I don't currently have a subwoofer anyway, I can get a refund now and always buy another Bravus 12D in black if I choose to.

brian6751, per your earlier post can you remember just how close a match the SVS cherry cabinet is to the Aperion cherry speakers?
post #5920 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your input guys, I think I will ask Aperion for a refund and then give the SVS Ultra 13 a serious look.

Since I don't currently have a subwoofer anyway, I can get a refund now and always buy another Bravus 12D in black if I choose to.

brian6751, per your earlier post can you remember just how close a match the SVS cherry cabinet is to the Aperion cherry speakers?

heres one but i can get some good side by side shots with better light if you want them:

P1010337 by brian6751, on Flickr

post #5921 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Anyone here own their new wireless subs? Just wanted some thoughts on them. Thanks.

post #5922 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:

heres one but i can get some good side by side shots with better light if you want them:

P1010337 by brian6751, on Flickr

brian, thanks for the screen shot. The SB13-plus looks a lot nicer in your picture than it does at the SVS web site.

If possible can you post a side shot of the SVS speaker next to your 6T?

I'd like to see more of the cherry veneer's matched up side-by-side with one another. But from your photo the cabinets finish does appear to look similar.

Thanks very much for your help.
post #5923 of 6974 Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Will have to wait till Friday for the pics. Svs will send you samples if you ask. If you are ok with the size and price of the Ultra, skip the sb13 and get the Ultra. The sb 13 crushes the 12D, im sure you would be happy with it, but the Ultra is on another level all together. If I move my stuff downstairs where I have more room I will either get another sb13 or take advantage of svs's upgrade policy and get a Ultra myself.

post #5924 of 6974 Old 04-05-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Aperion family - my rather typical apartment (with bare walls, a sofa, and a few curtains and a rug) has some bass bloom. Audyssey detected alot of bass blooming and stripped it off my 6T's. My left speaker is placed in a corner and there's nothing I can do about that.

Below is a snapshot of Audysseys EQ:

Would you guys have any suggestions in tackling this problem physically (Rather than through Audyssey?). For starters I purchased a few Corning 709 boards to be used as DYI acoustic panels but I dont think this will do anything for bass.

I would get some bass traps in the front corners like these:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_tri_...ass_traps.html

Also if you are sitting near the back wall of the room you may be getting a lot of reflected bass so if you can even move your sitting six inches away from that wall it can make a difference in reducing the amount of bass you hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Anyone here own their new wireless subs? Just wanted some thoughts on them. Thanks.

Hello there,

Since you are just sending a line level signal to the sub, using the Zona HAL doesn't degrade the quality in any way. The latency is quite low at 18 ms, so you shouldn't hear any delay between the sub or subs and your other speakers. But if you do you can compensate for that with the distance setting in your receiver.

I hope that helps!
post #5925 of 6974 Old 04-07-2012, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

Hello there,

Since you are just sending a line level signal to the sub, using the Zona HAL doesn't degrade the quality in any way. The latency is quite low at 18 ms, so you shouldn't hear any delay between the sub or subs and your other speakers. But if you do you can compensate for that with the distance setting in your receiver.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the quick response Hicks. How do they differ from the Outlaw M8's besides the wireless feature?

post #5926 of 6974 Old 04-10-2012, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just ordered a pair of Open Box Cherry finish 6Ts from Aperion. I just bought a pair of BW CM8s and will compare the two side by side. they will arrive monday

What is the best way to compare the two? I mean obviously side by side, but should i run the setup in my Pioneer SC35 for both? or just switch between the two? Sorry for the silly question but still new at this and just want to make as accurate a determination as possible between the two.

I also ordered a 5c center...

thanks IN advance

Frank
post #5927 of 6974 Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Thanks for the quick response Hicks. How do they differ from the Outlaw M8's besides the wireless feature?

I've never heard the M8, but the 8D uses a 300 watt class D amplifier while the M8 uses a 125 watt AB amp, so you should be able to get more output out of the 8D. Also the 8D has passive radiators, based off the specs the 8D doesn't go deeper but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowolf View Post

I just ordered a pair of Open Box Cherry finish 6Ts from Aperion. I just bought a pair of BW CM8s and will compare the two side by side. they will arrive monday

What is the best way to compare the two? I mean obviously side by side, but should i run the setup in my Pioneer SC35 for both? or just switch between the two? Sorry for the silly question but still new at this and just want to make as accurate a determination as possible between the two.

I also ordered a 5c center...

thanks IN advance

Frank

I recommend either running both sets of speakers without the MCACC set up or in the Direct mode so you can hear them without any processing.

I'd also suggest turning the sub off and running both sets as large or full range to hear the full bass extension from both speakers and then it would probably be useful to hear them crossed over at 80 Hz with the sub as well.

If you really want to hear them side by side assigning your front/height channels as front B channels for one pair and then toggling back and forth between the A and B channel would be the best.

I hope that helps!
post #5928 of 6974 Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Just to update this thread, Aperion Audio has refunded the full purchase price of $1099.00 for my Bravus 12D subwoofer.

Based on this Forum's (and the Subwoofer Forum's) recommendations, I was all set to buy either an SVS PB13-Ultra or the SB13-Plus.

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection I think the footprint of the PB13-Ultra may be too big for my HT set up and SVS has discontinued the SB13-Plus.

So at this point I am back to square one regarding the search to replace my 12D Bravus subwoofer.

Can anyone suggest another manufacturer's subwoofer, which includes a cherry veneer finish?

My HT components (Pioneer Plasma TV, Pioneer Elite receiver, Sony PS3 and Verizon DVR) all have black enclosures and the Aperion speakers have black grills so if worse comes to worse would you choose to buy a subwoofer with black finish instead?
post #5929 of 6974 Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

They also make a PC13 Ultra (cylinder)

post #5930 of 6974 Old 04-14-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Just to update this thread, Aperion Audio has refunded the full purchase price of $1099.00 for my Bravus 12D subwoofer.

Based on this Forum's (and the Subwoofer Forum's) recommendations, I was all set to buy either an SVS PB13-Ultra or the SB13-Plus.

Unfortunately, upon closer inspection I think the footprint of the PB13-Ultra may be too big for my HT set up and SVS has discontinued the SB13-Plus.

So at this point I am back to square one regarding the search to replace my 12D Bravus subwoofer.

Can anyone suggest another manufacturer's subwoofer, which includes a cherry veneer finish?

My HT components (Pioneer Plasma TV, Pioneer Elite receiver, Sony PS3 and Verizon DVR) all have black enclosures and the Aperion speakers have black grills so if worse comes to worse would you choose to buy a subwoofer with black finish instead?

If you decide to look at black subs... maybe check out the Rythmik F12 or F15...
post #5931 of 6974 Old 04-14-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would call Nathan Funk at Funk Audio or Jim at Salk Sound. They can do a custom finish and match it. Also check out SVS's cylinders like Browning suggested. They match with everything really. Or wait for someone to maybe return a sb13?

post #5932 of 6974 Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 13
Quote:

Axiom audio makes several subs, and will do custom finishes (including real wood laminates for an up charge). I don't have experience with them myself, but they do seem reasonably well regarded.
post #5933 of 6974 Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I would call Nathan Funk at Funk Audio or Jim at Salk Sound. They can do a custom finish and match it. Also check out SVS's cylinders like Browning suggested. They match with everything really. Or wait for someone to maybe return a sb13?

Good call on Funk Audio... they're custom cabinet work is outstanding....
post #5934 of 6974 Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks guys, I will follow up with your suggestions.
post #5935 of 6974 Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey everyone, we're running a promo this month for our outdoor speakers. Buy a pair and we will throw in a 200' spool of in wall rated wire for $20!

http://www.aperionaudio.com/outdoor2012.aspx
post #5936 of 6974 Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM

Hi all,

This is a partial repost from the main page on the recommendation of one of the posters. I'm putting together my first audio setup and am in need of advice as I'm seriously considering Aperion.

Maximum budget will be around $3.5k for 5.1, not including receiver. Lower would be better, but we'll see... Usage will be around 40% movies/TV; 40% games; and 20% music.

The acoustics-unfriendly details (also see attached pictures):
  • Main area of the room has 10' concrete ceilings (I know, I know: reflections -- but I do have a giant fluffy rug in between the main listening position and the TV even though other room treatments are unlikely to happen);
  • Main room opens directly into the kitchen which is an additional 10' in depth, with an 8' drywall ceiling;
  • The entire left side of the room(s) is floor-to-ceiling glass (more fun reflections!);
  • Total room dimensions: 2,015 ft³ (listening area only) or ~3,000 ft³ (listening and kitchen).

I've been leaning towards the Aperion Versus Grand Towers/Center/Surrounds based on a coworker's great experience with Aperion's Forte line, as well as the speakers' looks (I know).
  1. Would the Grand Towers be wasted or overkill in this space -- i.e. should I look to the Grand bookshelves? Or is my budget a waste given the acoustic limitations of the space?
  2. Surrounds will have to be stand mounted or on a shelf behind and to the left and right of the couch due to the glass. Does this impact the choice of bi/dipoles vs standard bookshelves?
  3. The Grand Center is too tall for my cabinet, so I'm considering wall mounting above the TV (5.5'-6'). Any recommended solutions or concerns -- other than it ripping out of the wall!?

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the long-winded post/repost!!!
LL
LL
LL
post #5937 of 6974 Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have have been waiting to buy either the verus grandtower or the bookshelfs in cherry for awile now, but I am wondering how reliable the shipping dates are, I have been burned before on promists shipping dates, I am also going to buy the svs psd 12and am trying to decide the merits of using a sub with a bookshelf compared to a full range speaker, I could use some advice on this, thanks
post #5938 of 6974 Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vermouth View Post

1. Would the Grand Towers be wasted or overkill in this space -- i.e. should I look to the Grand bookshelves? Or is my budget a waste given the acoustic limitations of the space?
  2. Surrounds will have to be stand mounted or on a shelf behind and to the left and right of the couch due to the glass. Does this impact the choice of bi/dipoles vs standard bookshelves?
  3. The Grand Center is too tall for my cabinet, so I'm considering wall mounting above the TV (5.5'-6'). Any recommended solutions or concerns -- other than it ripping out of the wall!?

1) You have a lot of space to fill, so the towers might be a better choice. When I was upgrading my bedroom setup, I decided that towers took up no more space than bookshelves on stands. In addition, after considering the cost of the stands, the cost difference shrank considerably. I ended up with the Aperion 5T's.

3) Another possibility might be buying/building a riser to put your TV on which would allow you to place your center on your current stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

I have have been waiting to buy either the verus grandtower or the bookshelfs in cherry for awile now, but I am wondering how reliable the shipping dates are, I have been burned before on promists shipping dates, I am also going to buy the svs psd 12and am trying to decide the merits of using a sub with a bookshelf compared to a full range speaker, I could use some advice on this, thanks

I can only report my one experience in buying from Aperion: it was so quick that it seemed as if they shipped my 5 speakers before the order form verified my order had been placed
post #5939 of 6974 Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames View Post

1) You have a lot of space to fill, so the towers might be a better choice. When I was upgrading my bedroom setup, I decided that towers took up no more space than bookshelves on stands. In addition, after considering the cost of the stands, the cost difference shrank considerably. I ended up with the Aperion 5T's.

3) Another possibility might be buying/building a riser to put your TV on which would allow you to place your center on your current stand.

Thanks Tom! You've helped ease my internal guilt about leaning towards the towers

As for the center, unfortunately, I don't want to raise the TV too much if at all possible. It's a 65", so already kind of tall, and it's currently sitting at almost the ideal viewing height for my sofa...
post #5940 of 6974 Old 04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vermouth View Post

Hi all,

This is a partial repost from the main page on the recommendation of one of the posters. I'm putting together my first audio setup and am in need of advice as I'm seriously considering Aperion.

Maximum budget will be around $3.5k for 5.1, not including receiver. Lower would be better, but we'll see... Usage will be around 40% movies/TV; 40% games; and 20% music.

The acoustics-unfriendly details (also see attached pictures):
  • Main area of the room has 10' concrete ceilings (I know, I know: reflections -- but I do have a giant fluffy rug in between the main listening position and the TV even though other room treatments are unlikely to happen);
  • Main room opens directly into the kitchen which is an additional 10' in depth, with an 8' drywall ceiling;
  • The entire left side of the room(s) is floor-to-ceiling glass (more fun reflections!);
  • Total room dimensions: 2,015 ft³ (listening area only) or ~3,000 ft³ (listening and kitchen).

I've been leaning towards the Aperion Versus Grand Towers/Center/Surrounds based on a coworker's great experience with Aperion's Forte line, as well as the speakers' looks (I know).

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry for the long-winded post/repost!!!

Hello there,

Considering the opening to the right of the screen and that you don't have a back wall I think towers are the way to go. At least the Verus Forte Towers, but since music is 20% of your usage I don't think the Verus Grand Towers would necessarily be overkill.

For the center, five and a half feet is kind of high but not too bad. Unfortunately I don't know of a pivot mount that will support the Verus Grand Center. If you could place it on a shelf and shim the back of it to angle it down that should work reasonably well. The other option is maybe you can place it on a stand to get it closer to ear level. You could also go for the Verus Forte Center which does a great job up to distances around 13-14 feet.

For the surrounds since you are doing stands that will be pretty close to your listening position, you should be fine with the Forte Satellites. The Verus Surround will ideally be wall mounted around five to six feet, so unless you can do that on the walls to your sides or slightly behind you I don't think they will be worth it.

I hope that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post

We definitely have a shipment coming in around 5/14. On that shipment there are enough Verus Grand Bookshelves in cherry for us to be in stock for a while. But all of the Verus Grand Towers in cherry from that shipment are already sold. The next shipment of cherry VGTs will arrive on 6/6. But it's not that big of a shipment so it is highly likely that we sell through it before it arrives too.

Bottom line, if you are thinking about ordering the VGT in cherry I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later so you don't end up watching that date slide backwards as we sell out of successive shipments. But if you are going for the VGBs, the stock situation looks much better with any out of stocks being only for a brief period.

To everyone that is waiting on back ordered product, thanks for your patience!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page