*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 199 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #5941 of 7004 Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
C'mon 5/14. This waiting is killing me! VGT in cherry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5942 of 7004 Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

For the center, five and a half feet is kind of high but not too bad. Unfortunately I don't know of a pivot mount that will support the Verus Grand Center. If you could place it on a shelf and shim the back of it to angle it down that should work reasonably well. The other option is maybe you can place it on a stand to get it closer to ear level. You could also go for the Verus Forte Center which does a great job up to distances around 13-14 feet.

Thanks very much for the advice -- it's good to know about the Forte center. I'm very impressed with Aperion not trying to upsell if it's not the right decision!

Even so, I'm still slightly tempted to go with the Grand Center, but am concerned about putting it above the TV and losing sound quality. For a distance of ~8ft, with the VGTs as L/R, would you say there's a big difference in quality between the VGC and the Forte center, or would the benefits be lost at that close of a distance in a room my size?

Quote:

For the surrounds since you are doing stands that will be pretty close to your listening position, you should be fine with the Forte Satellites. The Verus Surround will ideally be wall mounted around five to six feet, so unless you can do that on the walls to your sides or slightly behind you I don't think they will be worth it.

Thanks again for the honest assessment. Same question as above with the VGC v. Forte Center: would Grand Bookshelves be underutilized at this distance/room size vs. the Forte Surrounds?

Apologies if these are slightly repetitive questions. This is my first big audio purchase and want to get it right!
post #5943 of 7004 Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
http://www.amazon.com/Pinpoint-Cente.../dp/B002MP5JX4

I use one of these with my 5c above my tv And use rubber doorstops to tilt it down. It works great. it's mounted into the wall studs.

I find that I prefer to use as big a speaker as possible. It just sounds , well, bigger. I'm actually keeping an eye out for a 6c and I'm only 10 feet away.

Also remember that these speakers will be around as long as you want them so you may end up moving them to a bigger room or something. Think of them as a investment. That's my opinion anyway.

The center channel and the sub are the two most important speakers in a surround system for movies.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #5944 of 7004 Old 04-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

I'm 10 feet away and would agree with your "go big" recommendation.
post #5945 of 7004 Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I find that I prefer to use as big a speaker as possible. It just sounds , well, bigger. I'm actually keeping an eye out for a 6c and I'm only 10 feet away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

I'm 10 feet away and would agree with your "go big" recommendation.

Thanks guys. You're feeding my self justification for the grand center . I think I would need to go with a heavier duty mount since it weighs 39lbs, but am actually leaning more and more towards a small riser for the TV (4.5-5" should do it).
post #5946 of 7004 Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vermouth View Post

Thanks guys. You're feeding my self justification for the grand center . I think I would need to go with a heavier duty mount since it weighs 39lbs, but am actually leaning more and more towards a small riser for the TV (4.5-5" should do it).

I suggested earlier that you consider a riser, but I'm confused about your measurements. According to the specs on Aperion's site, the Grand center is 9" high and the Forte center is 6.2" high. I have a riser on my bedroom setup and I'd suggest allowing at least 0.5" more than the center's height for clearance under the riser.

Edit: ahh. Never mind--if you're going to place the center in front of your TV rather than directly under it.
post #5947 of 7004 Old 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM

^^^^

You got it! The 4.5" is to just clear screen height with the center in front of the TV. My stand is pretty deep, so there should be enough room. I'm going to be a dork and do a cardboard mock up of the center's dimensions and see how I like the look.
post #5948 of 7004 Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Vermouth View Post

Thanks very much for the advice -- it's good to know about the Forte center. I'm very impressed with Aperion not trying to upsell if it's not the right decision!

Even so, I'm still slightly tempted to go with the Grand Center, but am concerned about putting it above the TV and losing sound quality. For a distance of ~8ft, with the VGTs as L/R, would you say there's a big difference in quality between the VGC and the Forte center, or would the benefits be lost at that close of a distance in a room my size?

Thanks again for the honest assessment. Same question as above with the VGC v. Forte Center: would Grand Bookshelves be underutilized at this distance/room size vs. the Forte Surrounds?

Apologies if these are slightly repetitive questions. This is my first big audio purchase and want to get it right!

Sounds like you have your mind set on the VGC now, even though you may not "need" it at that distance at eight feet you can still hear the difference in terms of clarity and detail. So go for it, it certainly can't hurt and if you are only going to have to raise your TV by 4-5" then it shouldn't affect your viewing angle too much.

In my opinion the Verus Forte Satellites should more than suffice for your surround use in that room.
post #5949 of 7004 Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you have your mind set on the VGC now, even though you may not "need" it at that distance at eight feet you can still hear the difference in terms of clarity and detail. So go for it, it certainly can't hurt and if you are only going to have to raise your TV by 4-5" then it shouldn't affect your viewing angle too much.

In my opinion the Verus Forte Satellites should more than suffice for your surround use in that room.

Thanks Jason.
post #5950 of 7004 Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Heard the Grand Verus bookshelfs and matching center. Sounded very clear but somewhat bright especially on movie impacts, scenes with music/trumpets/horns, explosion scenes ,action scenes, things breaking etc... Not sure if this is just the nature of these scenes or the speaker having this tendency. Have not heard too many home theater systems to compare to. Would the Grand Verus line be considered more of a forward sounding speaker? Also, is there any way to tame the sound? Thanks for any help.
post #5951 of 7004 Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 11
I use VGTs & I don't consider them forwarding sounding . These are less bright than paradigm studios that I heard.

One caveat is the room & room correction. I have never tried VGTs without audyssey. And room accoustics can make a speaker bright/forward sounding

post #5952 of 7004 Old 05-02-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lite2 View Post

Heard the Grand Verus bookshelfs and matching center. Sounded very clear but somewhat bright especially on movie impacts, scenes with music/trumpets/horns, explosion scenes ,action scenes, things breaking etc... Not sure if this is just the nature of these scenes or the speaker having this tendency. Have not heard too many home theater systems to compare to. Would the Grand Verus line be considered more of a forward sounding speaker? Also, is there any way to tame the sound? Thanks for any help.

I think of the Verus Grands as pretty neutral myself, I wouldn't characterize them as bright but that's just my opinion.

Like Jaymalya said you can use Audyssey to tame brightness or you can try using a manual EQ.

Alternatively, you could try treating the room to cut down reflections off of hard surfaces.
post #5953 of 7004 Old 05-02-2012, 09:16 PM

Any opinions on the the quality of sound of the Verus Forte bookshelf vs the Zona Wireless speakers for surrounds?
post #5954 of 7004 Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackte50 View Post

Any opinions on the the quality of sound of the Verus Forte bookshelf vs the Zona Wireless speakers for surrounds?

Hello there,

In terms of sound quality I think the big differences are that the Verus Forte is a little smoother on the top end because of the Verus tweeter, but the Zonas have more bass because they are active.

If you are just using them as a stand alone pair of speakers I think I would give the edge to the Zonas because of the bass. However for surround use if you don't need the wireless feature, I do like the look of the Verus Fortes better and they do a great job for that application.

I hope that helps!
post #5955 of 7004 Old 05-04-2012, 12:55 PM

The wireless connection is attractive as I would use the Zonas on a stand as surround speakers. What I am looking for though is better surround so I would go with the Verus Forte. Thanks!
post #5956 of 7004 Old 05-07-2012, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone at Aperion for their EXCELLENT customer service!!

I reluctantly has to return a great pair of 6Ts and a center and had ZERO questions on why i was returning them... they just DID IT...

I will defiantly purchase from them in the future for other speaker needs...

to anyone hesitant about buying from them... dont be. either way you really cant lose.

Frank
post #5957 of 7004 Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM

New ARIS Speakers!!

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...54,88,971.aspx

Kind of excited by this news. Tempted to pre-order.

Qs for Jason:
Does it also have a similar concept like Sonos wherein you could assign zones? What-if we have multiple ARIS speakers? Or maybe, this can plug-in to an existing Sonos network? I rather buy this over Sonos speakers for wireless whole house audio.
post #5958 of 7004 Old 05-10-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

ill pop it in here again.

Im looking for a 6C and a pair of 5DB's in cherry. please PM me if you are interested in selling.

post #5959 of 7004 Old 05-11-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowolf View Post

I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone at Aperion for their EXCELLENT customer service!!

I reluctantly has to return a great pair of 6Ts and a center and had ZERO questions on why i was returning them... they just DID IT...

I will defiantly purchase from them in the future for other speaker needs...

to anyone hesitant about buying from them... dont be. either way you really cant lose.

Frank

Thanks for the kind words and recommendation, we hope to do business with you again in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAusio80 View Post

New ARIS Speakers!!

http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/...54,88,971.aspx

Kind of excited by this news. Tempted to pre-order.

Qs for Jason:
Does it also have a similar concept like Sonos wherein you could assign zones? What-if we have multiple ARIS speakers? Or maybe, this can plug-in to an existing Sonos network? I rather buy this over Sonos speakers for wireless whole house audio.

Indeed we are pretty excited about this product too!

Yes it functions similarly to Sonos and if you have multiple ARIS speakers on the network you can push different songs to each speaker. Also, by the time it begins shipping we will have an app available that will let you play the same track to multiple ARIS speakers and they will all be synched up.

No the technology that Sonos employs is proprietary so it won't with Windows as ours does, nor can you integrate Sonos into an AirPlay based network either.

Check out the microsite we put together for ARIS:

http://aris.aperionaudio.com/
post #5960 of 7004 Old 05-18-2012, 11:13 AM

I recently got one of Aperion's SPL meters that they ship with their Customer Care Kit. Does anyone know what the correction values are for this SPL meter? I know that there are correction tables out there for the Radio Shack SPL meters, but I haven't seen one for the Aperion SPL meter. I think Aperion should furnish a correction table with their SPL meters so that their customers have the most accurate information to properly calibrate their systems.
post #5961 of 7004 Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcisbig View Post

I recently got one of Aperion's SPL meters that they ship with their Customer Care Kit. Does anyone know what the correction values are for this SPL meter? I know that there are correction tables out there for the Radio Shack SPL meters, but I haven't seen one for the Aperion SPL meter. I think Aperion should furnish a correction table with their SPL meters so that their customers have the most accurate information to properly calibrate their systems.

I believe the radio shack table will work with it.

post #5962 of 7004 Old 05-18-2012, 04:55 PM

brian, just curious, but do you have any info to back that up? I'd love for that to be true!
post #5963 of 7004 Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Using a "standard" correction chart (Radio Shacks or one developed for the Aperion meter) will yield unique results for each unique meter. An accurate correction chart would need to be married to an individual meter to be used with any confidence.

I feel the most important aspect is repeatability...ensuring each channel is level with the other. Either meter will do that without the use of correction charts. It's not so important a .5 db error from a 85db reading...what's important is all speakers have the same output level with the same input. You're seeking balance, not so much a specific level.

The sub is going to be a bit more challenging, even with a correction chart, considering room nodes/acoustics/etc.

Martin

SACD Library:  http://www.sa-cd.net/library/7540/1

Outlaw 970 Pre-Pro, Outlaw 7125 Amp, Oppo BDP-95 Universal Player, Panasonic TC-P50GT25 Plasma, Aperion VGT/VGT Center/532LR surrounds/Dual Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs, Anti-Mode 8033 Cinima, Denon AH-D2000 headphones

post #5964 of 7004 Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcisbig View Post

brian, just curious, but do you have any info to back that up? I'd love for that to be true!

I'm pretty sure its a rebadged older radio shack model.

post #5965 of 7004 Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Hicks,

Any plans for a wireless outdoor solution ala zona/aris/HAL? If im reading correctly i need a powered speaker outside to use HAL (which the outdoor intimus are not) and im guessing the zona and aris are not suitable for outdoors. Id love to just hang a set of intimus outside and then be able to stream to them from the existing whole house system instead of pulling wires from the closet to the speakers and/or a new keypad.
post #5966 of 7004 Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM

After waiting more than a month, I had to refuse my VGT (Cherry) delivery today due to water damage on the exterior of the boxes. Too much of a gamble with FedEx if something was wrong inside. Driver wouldn't let us open the boxes without signing for them. Remember, sign when they are fine...period.

What's another month for the next batch?! My center channel is already lonely.
post #5967 of 7004 Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 PM

Liked: 12
Hey SQ....give Aperion a call...I am sure they will give you some kinda hook up. They are top notch when it comes to customer service. Sorry about your boxes.
post #5968 of 7004 Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQAudiophile View Post

After waiting more than a month, I had to refuse my VGT (Cherry) delivery today due to water damage on the exterior of the boxes. Too much of a gamble with FedEx if something was wrong inside. Driver wouldn't let us open the boxes without signing for them. Remember, sign when they are fine...period.

There's no need to open any package before signing...no worries! Call up Aperion
post #5969 of 7004 Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Oliver is on top of it! Aperion service is not letting me down by any means. He'll make it right! They were very understanding this afternoon when I called them.
post #5970 of 7004 Old 05-21-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

Using a "standard" correction chart (Radio Shacks or one developed for the Aperion meter) will yield unique results for each unique meter. An accurate correction chart would need to be married to an individual meter to be used with any confidence.

I feel the most important aspect is repeatability...ensuring each channel is level with the other. Either meter will do that without the use of correction charts. It's not so important a .5 db error from a 85db reading...what's important is all speakers have the same output level with the same input. You're seeking balance, not so much a specific level.

The sub is going to be a bit more challenging, even with a correction chart, considering room nodes/acoustics/etc.

Exactly, it doesn't really matter whether what the meter is reading is accurate but only that when the meter pegs to zero for each speaker that the reading represents the same level of dB. So even if it's really 85 dB when the meter says it's 80, as long as it says 80 every time it receives an 85 dB tone it is working properly for the purposes of calibration.

In other words, you are calibrating the relative volumes of the speakers with respect to one another.

In any event, if you want to use a chart then the Radio Shack one works just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistaforty View Post

Hicks,

Any plans for a wireless outdoor solution ala zona/aris/HAL? If im reading correctly i need a powered speaker outside to use HAL (which the outdoor intimus are not) and im guessing the zona and aris are not suitable for outdoors. Id love to just hang a set of intimus outside and then be able to stream to them from the existing whole house system instead of pulling wires from the closet to the speakers and/or a new keypad.

It's certainly an idea that is kicking around Aperion HQ, but when and if it will happen I honestly don't know. I will say that you could temporarily take the Zona speakers outside with you if you have access to AC power, I just wouldn't leave them outdoors unattended or expose them to rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQAudiophile View Post

Sorry to about that, I probably would have checked them out, you never know you might have gotten lucky and the speakers might have been OK. Since they are insured through FedEx they would still have to honor a claim from us even after you opened them.

But I'm glad to hear Oliver is taking care of you, thanks for your patience!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread