Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 6944 Old 12-23-2006, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by axs View Post

Thats why I would replace the fronts (L/C/R) together, not just the center, but thats just me and others may have different opinion.

I agree, but having said that I wouldn't choose 422's either. The 5 series is far superior although I do run 422's for my rears and they are pretty capable for small speakers. You just wont get the full sound with them. There is an obvious difference when panning from front to back on my system. ( at least to me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6944 Old 12-23-2006, 10:14 AM
axs
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Commander View Post

I agree, but having said that I wouldn't choose 422's either. The 5 series is far superior although I do run 422's for my rears and they are pretty capable for small speakers. You just wont get the full sound with them. There is an obvious difference when panning from front to back on my system. ( at least to me)

Agreed. I am hoping to get 632-LR soon (would have already got it, but due to some personal situation I will have to wait few more months.)
post #33 of 6944 Old 12-24-2006, 06:15 AM

Rnederhorst,
Looks like a tough speaker set up you have there. Your rear speakers are a little high.
Aperion also recommends having the speakers 2 ft. out from the wall optimally. ( if I am not mistaken!) Having them to close to the wall under the TV could affect some of the high end a little bit.
I dont know if a little tweek might help you gainn some high end or not but I thought it might help. Also might have acoustic problems affecting the highs as well. I know I do and sadly nothing I can do about it for the moment.
Best Wishes!@
post #34 of 6944 Old 12-24-2006, 08:30 AM

CC,
thanks for the info and ideas. I am kinda stuck (as you seem to be) with the setup due to the room layout. I tried putting the surrounds lower but they were more physically around the head region and unfortunately the wife was in super veto mode there.

they still sound excellent but the small high end problem is something i will have to work on.

rob
post #35 of 6944 Old 12-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thank you each and all for the thoughtful and infromed replies.

I think my first step is to follow Jedi-Night's suggestion to try the Orbs in the vertical orientation, and to that end I have already ordered the proper stand. The Orb customer service is second to none.

My next step would be to try the Aperion 532C, which concerns me a little, in that IT has the horizontal orientation. Does that cause any problems, or can anyone tell the difference between using a 532L/R for the center channel and using the 532C which lies on its side? I would rather have the 534VAC for sure, but don't have the room for it in my cabinet. The 532C will just fit in that space.

The third step would be to replace the three front Orbs with 532L/R and 533C, and move the Orbs to the surround positions. Currently I have single Orbs for the surrounds, and I know that making them into Mod2's would beef up the surround channels...whether that will sound good with the Aperion fronts is another question.

Again, thank you all for the helpful suggestions and Happy Holidays to you all!
post #36 of 6944 Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anybody using the 532C in its horizontal configuration, and does that cause the same kind of problems that the VAC design does?
post #37 of 6944 Old 12-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I noticed about $500 missing from my checking account today. Upon investigation, I realized that it was an Aperion purchase. I guess I was expecting an email before they charged me for my new VAC as it is part of the upgrade program and there was quite a wait for the next shipment. Anyway for those who don't know, the new batch of VACs are in and apparently ready to ship. I'll post again when I know more. Needless to say, I'm a little excited!!
post #38 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 01:28 AM

i got the new 533t's hooked up and they sound good while breaking in or it could be that black finish and slim profile.

havent been able to listen to any cd's or movies yet as I'm waiting for some cables to get here but listening to compressed and also some higher fidelity un compressed flac music which mostly includes symphonic pink floyd(buy this if you havent already by the way) from my laptop through my reciever they sound promising and I can't wait to turn these things up.

thinking if i like these in my small room ill go for the 633's to get some more lower end if these arent enough on their own or just adding their 10 inch sub.
post #39 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 01:29 AM

o and for me they didnt pull out the money the whole time i waited for them until probably the day they got here
post #40 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 06:41 AM

Congrats on your purchases...
Cant wait for a review of that new center!
What kind of reciever is everyone using with their Aperions? As stated beofre I have a Yamaha RXV-657
post #41 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Hello fellow Aperion owners!! Great to see a new thread started -- about time

A buddy of mine purchased a set of Aperions earlier this year (if memory serves) and at the beginning of the summer I finally got the green light to start my theater so I headed over to his house for a little demo. He had the 633T, 533-VAC, and 534SS paired up with the Denon 3806 (he's since upgraded to the 634-VAC). It was AMAZING! I was perma-grin the ENTIRE time. I almost cried, I kid you not! I think the best part was realizing that after spending most of my life hanging out in high-end audio stores listening to $10k speakers and dreaming, dreaming, dreaming of one day owning something so amazing, that I was now sitting in front of something that was a tenth the price ($1k for the 633T pair) and sounded probably 95% as good -- and the other 5% is probably just missing sound treatment and better source equipment. I knew then and there what I was buying!

So, about 6 months later now I have the 633T for L/R, the 634VAC for C and 3 534SS for my surrounds (6.1) -- I have a 12" Veldoyne (DLS-4000R) for my sub -- I had that beforehand or I would have probably gone with the 12-S. I have it all paired with the Denon 3806.

When I built the theater I thought I would spend about 90-95% of my time watching movies and TV and 10-5% on music. Since then I've upped my music (way up) to about 50-60% of my time and the other movies and TV. Not that I'm watching less movies or TV (much to the chagrin of my wife ) but I'm just listening to more music because the sound is so AMAZING! I love the details you can hear. I put in Natalie Merchant's Tiger Lily a while back and was listening to Beloved Wife and heard instruments I didn't even know were in the song -- and I've been listening to that album for years!!

My wife knows where I've been when I come floating into the room after 10-15 minutes (or sometimes an hour or more if I'm not careful ) of listening to Nora Jones, or Diana Krall, or Chris Isaak, or, or, or...

Yep, I'm TOTALLY sold on Aperion and have gotten two more of my buddies to switch to as well.

Mike

PS. Nothing beats bringing someone over to the house for a demo and their jaws just hit the floor after hearing it. I've had comments like: "This is the BEST theater I've ever been in!", "The clarity is amazing", "Wow, you feel like you're there!" Can't beat that
post #42 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Commander View Post

Congrats on your purchases...
Cant wait for a review of that new center!
What kind of reciever is everyone using with their Aperions? As stated beofre I have a Yamaha RXV-657

I'm using the Denon AVR-3806. The disc transport matters quite a bit too. My buddy just upgraded to the Marantz DV7600 and I can't explain why but the sound really improved (especially in the low end, the bass is much tighter sounding, I really like it -- I'll have to consider upgrading sometime). I have the Pioneer AV-588-A which gets great marks for video performance but when I bought it I wasn't thinking about audio yet (since I hadn't been hooked yet) and have no idea how it rates for audio (I'm almost afraid to find out ).

As for a review on the center channel all I can say is that it makes a huge difference when paired with the 633T. The 533-VAC always sounded "small" compared to the 633T -- definitely didn't blend very well. Not that the 533-VAC is a bad speaker, apparently it matches very well with the 533T, 533PT and 532 but it wasn't up to the task for the 633T.

As soon as I plugged it in (before breakin time was up even -- very important) I noticed the sound was much larger. Definitely a bigger frequency response range (especially in the lows). The vocals were much more relaxed sounding and I no longer felt like I had to strain to hear them during dynamic parts of movies (other sound events going on in the background like action scenes).

Mike
post #43 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Hey Rod, sweet setup!! I have a few observations if you're interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnederhorst View Post

I'd personally like some more brightness but I have a feeling that it's the Yamaha not playing nicely with others. I really need to do some more tests. Maybe I am itching to replace it for no reason

Yamahas are known for being softer on the high end (good to pair with painfully bright setups like Bose and the like). If you want a brighter sound you might try changing to Denon, Marantz or Onkyo. Another thing to double check is whether you have the Cinema EQ setting on (it limits the high end -- I used that for my old Bose setup on my Denon AVR-2600).

Quote:

The most unfortunate thing is that the 50" plasma feels TINY compared to the sound that the Aperions give the theater.

LOL! Heh, time to upgrade to a front projector -- you can get a nice 720p Panasonic 900 and a screen for under $2k (maybe even $1500) try visualapex if you get the bug

Quote:

Here are some pics and if you all have any questions, let me know.

Surrounds mounted w/in-wall wiring

Nice mounts, I have the same kind (wall and ceiling versions). If you want a slightly sexier look for your cables you might try using cable wrap (the plastic ribbed stuff that's split down the center and you just slide it around the wires). I used some because the in-wall speaker jackets were white on my cable and I had a black ceiling and I was surprised at how cool they looked (I was just wanting to hide them -- now people all comment on them). Just thought I'd pass the trick along...

Quote:

The TV, etc:

My first thought when I saw this was you're probably getting a lot of first order reflections from the speakers up front bouncing off of that shelf (is that tile?). You probably could get a big improvement (in clarity and might even help your high end) by sliding the speakers to the front of that shelf (so the drivers are even with the edge). You might even try putting them on a small stand or something to lift them up a bit (although I can't see how high that is, maybe it's already at ear height and it doesn't matter).

Anyway, sweet looking setup and great to know it sounds great AND you have wife approval (oh and no worries about the surrounds being up high -- someone pointed out to me that my surrounds should point flat not down (they hang on the ceiling) and when I pointed them up more (like yours) they sounded WAY better).

Enjoy!

Mike
post #44 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 08:20 AM

I visited the Aperion store outside of Portland, OR a while back and I was impressed. They were very friendly and helpful, the speakers sound great and look wonderful in my opinion, as well as being very solidly built. I spent most of my time with the 632 bookshelf and it sounded very nice to me, there did seem to be a bit of a bump in the 50hz region, which gives them a nice full sound but it is a bit of coloration. A matter of taste, but they are without question a speaker worth listening to.
post #45 of 6944 Old 12-28-2006, 08:24 AM

It's nice to see that other people are enjoying their speakers! That's what it is all about. this is what I have going:

2 633T's as fronts
634 vac (upgraded from 533)-gotta love aperion for this
2 534 as surrounds
s10 sub