Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #631 of 6944 Old 02-19-2008, 06:12 PM
jwr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 634 center, 632's bookshelves, and 422 for surrounds on their way. I'm going to have to put the 634 on top of the entertainment center, because the shelf over the tv wont suport it, so I'm goint to angle it down. My wife isn't really thrilled with the idea. My real questions is, will the 632's sound ok in the bookshelf? They will be about 6.5 feet apart at ear level, behind doors with screens for speakers, but I will have to put them on their sides. Or should I just put them on top, at the same level as the center? I had to go with 422's for surrounds, because I needed something small. I might be able to squeeze the 632'2 in next to the tv, but I was hoping of going from a 50" to a 60" then the speakers wouldn't fit.

Thanks for any comments
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 6944 Old 02-19-2008, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr View Post

I have a 634 center, 632's bookshelves, and 422 for surrounds on their way. I'm going to have to put the 634 on top of the entertainment center, because the shelf over the tv wont suport it, so I'm goint to angle it down. My wife isn't really thrilled with the idea. My real questions is, will the 632's sound ok in the bookshelf? They will be about 6.5 feet apart at ear level, behind doors with screens for speakers, but I will have to put them on their sides. Or should I just put them on top, at the same level as the center? I had to go with 422's for surrounds, because I needed something small. I might be able to squeeze the 632'2 in next to the tv, but I was hoping of going from a 50" to a 60" then the speakers wouldn't fit.

Thanks for any comments

You gotta do what you gotta do, but none of that sounds exactly ideal. Could you fit smaller L & R speakers in the bookshelf standing up? Could you fit a lighter/smaller center right above the TV rather than all the way up by the ceiling? Either of these options would probably give you better sound. Could you post a picture to help us get a better idea of your room constraints?
post #633 of 6944 Old 02-19-2008, 07:03 PM
jwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

You gotta do what you gotta do, but none of that sounds exactly ideal. Could you fit smaller L & R speakers in the bookshelf standing up? Could you fit a lighter/smaller center right above the TV rather than all the way up by the ceiling? Either of these options would probably give you better sound. Could you post a picture to help us get a better idea of your room constraints?

One of my kids are going to die. I went to get out my digital camera to take a picture and it looks like they have been playing football with the camera. Needless to say it doesn't work now. So i took a picture with my horrible camera phone, and you can hardly see anything.Attachment 102616

I could probably do two things to help. For the time being I could put the 632's next to the tv until I get my new tv, and I could try and reinforce the shelf above the tv to hold the 634. I need to try and not make the speakers stand out to much, because my wife wont like speakers sitting all around the room, and she only knows I'm getting the center channel, not the 632's, 422's, and the new sub. I guess the kids will be ok, and I'll be dead. Hopefully I will die with a smile.
LL
post #634 of 6944 Old 02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

That shot is fine. All is not lost. Could you fit a single bookshelf speaker in that upright compartment directly below your TV and between your AV equipment? If not a 632, then maybe a 532? That would be a far more satisfactory center.
And this might seem weird, but you could put two 533 VAC centers in those horizontal L & R speaker enclosures for the same price and I bet they'd sound better than the 632s on their sides. At least they're designed to operate on that axis. When you topple an upright speaker, you get serious horizontal and vertical sound dispersion issues right off the bat.
post #635 of 6944 Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM
jwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

That shot is fine. All is not lost. Could you fit a single bookshelf speaker in that upright compartment directly below your TV and between your AV equipment? If not a 632, then maybe a 532? That would be a far more satisfactory center.
And this might seem weird, but you could put two 533 VAC centers in those horizontal L & R speaker enclosures for the same price and I bet they'd sound better than the 632s on their sides. At least they're designed to operate on that axis. When you topple an upright speaker, you get serious horizontal and vertical sound dispersion issues right off the bat.

I could fit a single upright speaker below the tv. Do you think that would be any better then above the tv? I would think the ottoman would block the speaker. I hadn't thought about 533's, they would fit there. Everything should show up tomorrow, so I'll play around with set up and moving the speakers around. I guess I could always send them back and try your idea, or order a couple of 533 to compare. My final idea is to turn my AVR on it's side, so maybe the speakers wont know. I forgot to say, thanks for the suggestions I may have to go that route.
post #636 of 6944 Old 02-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I could fit a single upright speaker below the tv. Do you think that would be any better then above the tv?

Absolutely, if by above you mean all the way up on top of the cabinet. Specifically, it will put the tweeter closer to your ears. Generally, it will give you better off-axis performance. Have a look at this article if you want some details (and have time to waste.)

Since you have them coming, certainly try out the 632s on their side. If you sit more or less right in front of the TV and they are more or less at ear level, they'll probably sound just fine.
post #637 of 6944 Old 02-19-2008, 09:04 PM
jwr

thanks for the article it was very interesting
post #638 of 6944 Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
What about the 532c for your L/Rs? I would do that before I'd try the 533-VAC for L/Rs. Of course given Aperion's great return policy you probably might want to try buying the whole lot, trying everything out until you get what sounds best and sending the rest back.

As for the shelf not holding the 634VAC above the TV: What about putting a couple of shelf brackets that attach to the wall and the shelf (do it behind the TV so it's mostly hidden) and then maybe you'd be able to put the 634VAC above the TV. I definitely would try your hardest to get the 634VAC to work over the 533VAC or a 532 in the door at the bottom center.

Mike
post #639 of 6944 Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 AM

Quote:

One of my kids are going to die. I went to get out my digital camera to take a picture and it looks like they have been playing football with the camera. Needless to say it doesn't work now. So i took a picture with my horrible camera phone, and you can hardly see anything.Attachment 102616

I could probably do two things to help. For the time being I could put the 632's next to the tv until I get my new tv, and I could try and reinforce the shelf above the tv to hold the 634. I need to try and not make the speakers stand out to much, because my wife wont like speakers sitting all around the room, and she only knows I'm getting the center channel, not the 632's, 422's, and the new sub. I guess the kids will be ok, and I'll be dead. Hopefully I will die with a smile.

You might consider removing the top shelf and sitting the tv on top of the
634. It won't hurt the 634 from how I have heard they are built.
post #640 of 6944 Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM

jwr -

If you look at my (old) setup via the link in my signature you'll see I have a similar entertainment center to you. A few thoughts for you:

When I upgraded to the Aperions from the setup shown in my pictures (I now have the 532s for fronts, the 533-VAC for center and the 422s for surround and I still have the cheapo in ceiling speakers for rears) I initially tried the center in the cabinet under my TV where my old center was. After a few weeks (break in period over) I felt like the center should sound cleaner than it did. I tried watching a few movies with the cabinet open and was amazed at the clarity of the sound with it not having to go through the speaker screen on the cabinet. Even my wife could tell the difference. I now have the 533 on the shelf above the TV and I couldn't be happier.

As far as the 532s go, I really didn't want to place them on the top of the entertainment center because it makes it look like the center has ears. Originally I had planned to put the 532s in some cabinets below my TV (on the picture they are the cabinets on the botton row outside of the #2 -- picture is before i installed the screens) but after the center channel adventure, I decided that sound quality was more important to me than the speakers looking a bit funny and I left them up on top of the entertainment center. Although the placement isn't ideal, the setup sounds amazing to me, my family, and friends. What else could I ask for?

My point is, I think you are on the right track with experimenting with your setup and letting your ears decide what sounds best. My wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of having the speakers visible, but since the Aperions look so nice and sound amazing she is willing to let me have them right where they are.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out!
post #641 of 6944 Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 PM
jwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutley View Post

jwr -

If you look at my (old) setup via the link in my signature you'll see I have a similar entertainment center to you. A few thoughts for you:

When I upgraded to the Aperions from the setup shown in my pictures (I now have the 532s for fronts, the 533-VAC for center and the 422s for surround and I still the cheapo in ceiling speakers for rears) I initially tried the center in the cabinet under my TV where my old center was. After a few weeks (break in period over) I felt like the center should sound cleaner than it did. I tried watching a few movies with the cabinet open and was amazed at the clarity of the sound with it not having to go through the speaker screen on the cabinet. Even my wife could tell the difference. I now have the 533 on the shelf above the TV and I couldn't be happier.

As far as the 532s go, I really didn't want to place them on the top of the entertainment center because it makes it look like the center has ears. Originally I had planned to put the 532s in some cabinets below my TV (on the picture they are the cabinets on the botton row outside of the #2 -- picture is before i installed the screens) but after the center channel adventure, I decided that sound quality was more important to me than the speakers looking a bit funny and I left them up on top of the entertainment center. Although the placement isn't ideal, the setup sounds amazing to me, my family, and friends. What else could I ask for?

My point is, I think you are on the right track with experimenting with your setup and letting your ears decide what sounds best. My wife wasn't thrilled with the idea of having the speakers visible, but since the Aperions look so nice and sound amazing she is willing to let me have them right where they are.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was able to lower the shelf above the tv until it now rest on the tv, so help support the center channel. So far it is working. I'm going to try the 632 on their side for a little while, then beside the tv, and then on top. So far I like the sound, but my wife hates it. Sounds it is way to loud, I made the mistake of watching wotw.

Thanks
post #642 of 6944 Old 02-21-2008, 10:11 AM

Hello everyone,

I was told to come over to this thread because a forum member recommended me to try out aperion.

Real quickly, i am moving to an apartment with a living/dinning room thats 12x20 with loft ceilings. My budget is 1500-2k and i think i want to use a martanz 4002 receiver.

so for the speakers, i was recommended the following:

532 x2
422x2
533vac
and s8

how is that for my room? also, is there any speakers that are simular to these that i could go to a store and test out?

opinions? thanks!!
post #643 of 6944 Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 AM

I think you're going to want more sub with that big of a space.
post #644 of 6944 Old 02-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

My room is 14x20 and I went with the S-10. Seems to be perfect.
post #645 of 6944 Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM

yeah, I'd agree with the sub. If possible I'd try to bump it up to at least the 10
post #646 of 6944 Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 PM

what about the fact that its an apartment and i might have to be a bit light on the bass? does that matter at all?
post #647 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdeguz View Post

what about the fact that its an apartment and i might have to be a bit light on the bass? does that matter at all?

With your size of the room, I would go with the S-10 (the difference in cost is not that much and should still keep you below your $2k celling). You can always lower the volume on the sub if you are worried about disturbing the neighbors.

Crnbread

Go Vols!
post #648 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 10:10 AM

It's all a matter of opionion. You can always buy the bigger sub and turn it down when you need to be a bit quieter but then you have the option to crank it up when you can.

EDIT: crnbread beat me to it...
post #649 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM

My neighbor and I agreed that anything before 11PM was ok but after that I had to keep it down.
post #650 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswigginton View Post

My neighbor and I agreed that anything before 11PM was ok but after that I had to keep it down.

Then yeah go with the S-10

Oh btw though, there should be a new product page coming up on the aperion site sometime today. They are releasing some new subs apparently in march. The details will be on the product page. So you might want to wait a little bit just to see what they will be offering.
post #651 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightToDay View Post

Oh btw though, there should be a new product page coming up on the aperion site sometime today. They are releasing some new subs apparently in march. The details will be on the product page. So you might want to wait a little bit just to see what they will be offering.

Interesting. It has been my (largely uniformed) impression that Aperion's subs perhaps don't quite keep up with their speakers in terms of price/quality ratio. If they can beef up the subwoofer line at near the current price points, that might well change.
post #652 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 AM

How'd you find that out? Any ideas on what else might be in store as a new product?

Any guesses like 6 series SS, new finishes,...

Any idea on what time????

Stagflation?? No effect!!
post #653 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM

I just noticed that you can get the S12 in Black on 12/22/2012. what a wait

post #654 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 01:59 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pameredith View Post

How'd you find that out?
Any idea on what time????

"NightToDay" is right. Actually I found out when talking to them on the phone about getting their speakers but when I mentioned I was going with a non-Aperion sub-woofer he did mention that coming out within a couple of weeks (i.e. March) that their new sub-woofer lines will be showcasing. Also the replacement for the 533-T tower speakers are also coming out after.
post #655 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I just noticed that you can get the S12 in Black on 12/22/2012. what a wait

That's why it's 2012, because their new sub-woofers will be out so they put in the year 2012 for older models (same with the 533-T speakers)
post #656 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 02:02 PM

They are replacing the 533-T!!!! Ouch! I've heard great things about that speaker. Maybe it is just a driver upgrade. Anyway, I look forward to seeing NEW stuff!

post #657 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:

They are replacing the 533-T!!!! Ouch! I've heard great things about that speaker. Maybe it is just a driver upgrade. Anyway, I look forward to seeing NEW stuff!

I know I was going to get it but since it's no longer in stock, gotta wait for the new one. Price point is $175 more per speaker.
post #658 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM

Yeah they have a teaser picture of a sub on one of the forums on aperion's site. But again, might as well wait a couple hours when the products go up on the website.

With the 533T, here is a quote about the new one from aperion's boards "The Intimus 5T is a new and improved version of the 533-T. It features a new woven fiberglass woofer, an amazing new silk dome tweeter and a restyled cabinet. It is also a little more expensive. More information will be available next week so be sure to stay tuned to the website."

Now when I asked about the price for the new tower, they were saying something like 495 each (so 990 for the pair). I don't think thats the SET price yet, but my only concern is that the 633's is only 10 bucks more for the pair. I just dont' get it. Hopefully I was told wrong about the price for the new 533.

These are the only changes to the aperion line that I know of right now.
post #659 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah they have a teaser picture of a sub on one of the forums on aperion's site. But again, might as well wait a couple hours when the products go up on the website.

With the 533T, here is a quote about the new one from aperion's boards "The Intimus 5T is a new and improved version of the 533-T. It features a new woven fiberglass woofer, an amazing new silk dome tweeter and a restyled cabinet. It is also a little more expensive. More information will be available next week so be sure to stay tuned to the website."

Now when I asked about the price for the new tower, they were saying something like 495 each (so 990 for the pair). I don't think thats the SET price yet, but my only concern is that the 633's is only 10 bucks more for the pair. I just dont' get it. Hopefully I was told wrong about the price for the new 533.

I just got off the phone with Aperion since i am planning on trading up from my 533Ts and center to the 6 series. The new 6 tower WILL BE 695 EACH! HOLY CRAP!!!!

Xbox tag: JosephD05
PS3: JD05
post #660 of 6944 Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:

Now when I asked about the price for the new tower, they were saying something like 495 each (so 990 for the pair).

Hopefully I was told wrong about the price for the new 533.

That's what I was told too.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page