*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 231 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6901 of 6970 Old 06-13-2014, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just noticed that the entire Aperion Intimus line of speakers has increased in price. Looks like the Intimus "end of life" sale is over, at least for the time being. Toward the end of last year they announced that the intimus line was going away and you could get them at a good discount price as long as supply's lasted...and depending on how many they sold for Christmas.

Christmas came and went, and even up to last month you could still get them at a discounted price. That is no longer the case. They are all back to full price. I suppose they will stay that way for awhile, at least until whatever product is replacing them is announced.

Anyway, in the fall of last year I was able to get the Intimus 5ts for $135 less each than what they are now, and the Intimus 5c center for $110 less than what it is now. I've really enjoyed these speakers for the past 9 months or so...BUT when Aperion had their moving sale last week I couldn't resist the Verus grand towers for $799each so I jumped all over that sale and was still within my 1 year trade up. Unfortunately they are backordered. Might have to wait until September to get them

Last edited by NebTheWeb; 06-14-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6970 Old 06-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebTheWeb View Post
I just noticed that the entire Aperion Intimus line of speakers has increased in price. Looks like the Intimus "end of life" sale is over, at least for the time being. Toward the end of last year they announced that the intimus line was going away and you could get them at a good discount price as long as supply's lasted...and depending on how many they sold for Christmas.

Christmas came and went, and even up to last month you could still get them at a discounted price. That is no longer the case. They are all back to full price. I suppose they will stay that way for awhile, at least until whatever product is replacing them is announced.

Anyway, in the fall of last year I was able to get the 5ts for $135 less each than what they are now, and the 5c for $110 less than what it is now. I've really enjoyed these speakers for the past 9 months or so...BUT when Aperion had their moving sale last week I couldn't resist the Verus grand towers for $799each so I jumped all over that sale and was still within my 1 year trade up. Unfortunately they are backordered. Might have to wait until September to get them
I wish I could have them at that price!

In 3 months the wait will long lost memories as you will enjoys a well design and very good speakers.

Welcome to the Verus grand family .

Ray
2liter likes this.

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #6903 of 6970 Old 06-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Liked: 13
Thank you!

I can hardly wait, but wait I must. Meanwhile, I am busting in the Verus Grand Center. Once the Towers get here I will bust them in too.
darthray and 2liter like this.
post #6904 of 6970 Old 06-14-2014, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulled the trigger with the sale and bought Verus Grand Towers, Forte Bookshelves for surrounds and have Forte center until grand center is back in stock in piano black.

I've auditioned them one week and at modest volumes my ears hurt after more than 30 minutes. I've never experienced anything like it and no one else in the family has the problem. I've always hurt of fatigue in certain speakers and wondered what that meant. Is that what I am experiencing? I haven't read anywhere of Aperions causing fatigue. I really wanted to like them and have had my eye on Aperions for a long time but at this point, they will likely be going back. Tomorrow I will reconnect my polks to see the difference going backwards.
post #6905 of 6970 Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Sportsman View Post
Pulled the trigger with the sale and bought Verus Grand Towers, Forte Bookshelves for surrounds and have Forte center until grand center is back in stock in piano black.

I've auditioned them one week and at modest volumes my ears hurt after more than 30 minutes. I've never experienced anything like it and no one else in the family has the problem. I've always hurt of fatigue in certain speakers and wondered what that meant. Is that what I am experiencing? I haven't read anywhere of Aperions causing fatigue. I really wanted to like them and have had my eye on Aperions for a long time but at this point, they will likely be going back. Tomorrow I will reconnect my polks to see the difference going backwards.
That is a bit shocking to me as I felt the VGTs were very laid back with zero fatigue. Perhaps not the last word in detail, IMO, but extremely musical.
post #6906 of 6970 Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

That is a bit shocking to me as I felt the VGTs were very laid back with zero fatigue. Perhaps not the last word in detail, IMO, but extremely musical.[/quote]

I also find this odd!
The VGT fall in the categorie of a little lay back and neutral.

Do you use a calibration system like Audyssey or others?
If so, did you redo a calibration with the VGT?

If answer No to the second question, that might be the problem.
If you answer Yes, then maybe the VGT are not for you.
This why there is hundreds of speaker brand at lots of different budget.

I know that I love mines and are here to stay for a very long time.
But it your system and what you like to hear is the formost important!

Hopefully it was just a calibration issue, if not best of luck to find something suitable for you.

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 06-15-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Qute was posred twice
post #6907 of 6970 Old 06-15-2014, 01:27 PM

I did run calibration. It's MCACC with an older pioneer so not as sophisticated as Audyssey. I plan to upgrade once Denon's full 2014 line is released.

I think one possibility is my room I simply too small for these towers. I'm probably 6-8 feet from then depending on where I sit. Went with towers sine this is a purchase I'll live with for many years and multiple houses.
post #6908 of 6970 Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_Sportsman View Post
I did run calibration. It's MCACC with an older pioneer so not as sophisticated as Audyssey. I plan to upgrade once Denon's full 2014 line is released.

I think one possibility is my room I simply too small for these towers. I'm probably 6-8 feet from then depending on where I sit. Went with towers sine this is a purchase I'll live with for many years and multiple houses.
6feet is close, mines are about 9 feet away and towed in a little.
The tow in, you have to experement and redo a calibration once you think you have found the best angle.
Strereo music work the best for me.

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6909 of 6970 Old 07-07-2014, 06:38 PM

Liked: 1
Hello ...

I'm getting close to moving forward with my surround sound system. I have a few questions related to HDMI and RCA to RCA cables including the qualitative cost to benefit dilemma. I tried to search around the site a little but it wasn't helpful.

I will be getting the following components:

Aperion Versus Grand Tower Speakers
Aperion Versus Grand Center Channel Speaker
Bravus II 12D Subwoofer
Intimus L6-IC In-Ceiling Speaker Pair (5.1 back surrounds, in ceiling only practical option)
The back surround speaker wire, speaker and sub cables, and banana plugs per Aperion recomendations
Marantz SR6008
Emotiva xpa-3
Middle Atlantic Component Cooler, 8 CFM(BDI Corridor media cabinet which is fairly open but there is not much room on sides of Marantz 6008 for cooling, installer recommended)

Room Size is approximately 15' x 25' but there is only 20% of a back wall as it is open to the kitchen and entrance hallway.

I have recently been trying to nail down the HDMI and RCA to RCA cable selection. I assume I will need three HDMI cables (cable box to receiver, blue ray to receiver, receiver to Pioneer Elite Plasma TV) and three RCA to RCA cables(receiver left tower, right tower, center channel to amplifier).

I was surprised to learn that there was a wide variance in cable prices. They can be $1000 for one cable!! Given my expected system components I'm not sure what is an appropriate amount to spend on these cables to optimize the final result crossed with cost. I'm not sure how to match the HDMI and RCA to RCA quality|price so as to not create a weak link in the system.

I called around today. the first suggestion was to consider Audioquest. I called them. Regarding RCA to RCA cables they said the Golden Gate was probably the best bang for the buck because it is the first in the line with the PSC conductor material. Three of these cables would run about $240. The next RCA to RCA up is the Big Sir which would run about $420 for all three. I certainly wasn't expecting to pay these prices but if it makes a significant difference?

I then called a dealer mentioned by Audioquest where I could see all their products. The person I talked to said that Audioquest was a good choice for the RCA to RCA cables but he had a better suggestion for the HDMI cables. He said he had swapped out and compared various HDMI cables. He said he thought the Shunyata Venom HDMI cable was almost as good as the Audioquest Vodka HDMI cable which is 3x to 4x the cost. He said he doesn't work on commission or have any reason to steer me the wrong way. He said he was blown away by the improvement in the picture and sound with these HDMI cables especially for the money. If I went with these HDMI cables I would need two 1M HDMI cables at $100 each and one 2M cable at $150 for a total of $350. Again, much more than I expected to spend but if they result in a significant improvement than it might be a wise investment given the overall system cost.

I could buy three RCA to RCA cables and an HDMI cable for each candidate brand|model but this could get out of hand. I'm hoping some others that have crossed this bridge and reached some informative conclusions that might be helpful.

I just noticed Audioquest sells Subwoofer cables. I wonder how the Aperion "Straight Wire 14AWG Musicable Preterm Spkr Wire" for the tower and sub speakers compares to the Audioquest speaker cables(and other brands)? Maybe it would be better to spend more for these cables than the HDMI or RCA to RCA cables? I am certainly having fun now

Any Feedback Would Be Appreciated!!
post #6910 of 6970 Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Don't bother with snake oil cables and wires. The basic Monoprice cables will do the same job. Unless you have money you want to throw away, don't fall into the cable trap.
darthray likes this.
post #6911 of 6970 Old 07-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP-complete View Post
Hello ...

I'm getting close to moving forward with my surround sound system. I have a few questions related to HDMI and RCA to RCA cables including the qualitative cost to benefit dilemma. I tried to search around the site a little but it wasn't helpful.

I will be getting the following components:

Aperion Versus Grand Tower Speakers
Aperion Versus Grand Center Channel Speaker
Bravus II 12D Subwoofer
Intimus L6-IC In-Ceiling Speaker Pair (5.1 back surrounds, in ceiling only practical option)
The back surround speaker wire, speaker and sub cables, and banana plugs per Aperion recomendations
Marantz SR6008
Emotiva xpa-3
Middle Atlantic Component Cooler, 8 CFM(BDI Corridor media cabinet which is fairly open but there is not much room on sides of Marantz 6008 for cooling, installer recommended)

Room Size is approximately 15' x 25' but there is only 20% of a back wall as it is open to the kitchen and entrance hallway.

I have recently been trying to nail down the HDMI and RCA to RCA cable selection. I assume I will need three HDMI cables (cable box to receiver, blue ray to receiver, receiver to Pioneer Elite Plasma TV) and three RCA to RCA cables(receiver left tower, right tower, center channel to amplifier).

I was surprised to learn that there was a wide variance in cable prices. They can be $1000 for one cable!! Given my expected system components I'm not sure what is an appropriate amount to spend on these cables to optimize the final result crossed with cost. I'm not sure how to match the HDMI and RCA to RCA quality|price so as to not create a weak link in the system.

I called around today. the first suggestion was to consider Audioquest. I called them. Regarding RCA to RCA cables they said the Golden Gate was probably the best bang for the buck because it is the first in the line with the PSC conductor material. Three of these cables would run about $240. The next RCA to RCA up is the Big Sir which would run about $420 for all three. I certainly wasn't expecting to pay these prices but if it makes a significant difference?

I then called a dealer mentioned by Audioquest where I could see all their products. The person I talked to said that Audioquest was a good choice for the RCA to RCA cables but he had a better suggestion for the HDMI cables. He said he had swapped out and compared various HDMI cables. He said he thought the Shunyata Venom HDMI cable was almost as good as the Audioquest Vodka HDMI cable which is 3x to 4x the cost. He said he doesn't work on commission or have any reason to steer me the wrong way. He said he was blown away by the improvement in the picture and sound with these HDMI cables especially for the money. If I went with these HDMI cables I would need two 1M HDMI cables at $100 each and one 2M cable at $150 for a total of $350. Again, much more than I expected to spend but if they result in a significant improvement than it might be a wise investment given the overall system cost.

I could buy three RCA to RCA cables and an HDMI cable for each candidate brand|model but this could get out of hand. I'm hoping some others that have crossed this bridge and reached some informative conclusions that might be helpful.

I just noticed Audioquest sells Subwoofer cables. I wonder how the Aperion "Straight Wire 14AWG Musicable Preterm Spkr Wire" for the tower and sub speakers compares to the Audioquest speaker cables(and other brands)? Maybe it would be better to spend more for these cables than the HDMI or RCA to RCA cables? I am certainly having fun now

Any Feedback Would Be Appreciated!!
Congradution for the Verus Grand.
They are excellent speakers!
If you can afford it in the future I would get the bookshelf for surronds duty, if not it is not a big deal.
For the sub I would have personally went with SVS or PSA or other brand name that specialize into sub.

aperion does make excellent speakers but their sub is not quite up to others.

For the cable, read this tread
Have a look at these Beauties!!!! How to make your OWN "High End" Cables!!!
Lots of good info and lots to learn about been rip off by cable company!
Did not mean any offence, just trying to help and aperion have a generous return offer.
When it come to speakers, I support them all the time.
I got the VGT, VGC and 4 VGB and could not be more Happier with them.

Welcome to the family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
Don't bother with snake oil cables and wires. The basic Monoprice cables will do the same job. Unless you have money you want to throw away, don't fall into the cable trap.
How true!!!

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6912 of 6970 Old 07-07-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
What he said.
2liter likes this.
post #6913 of 6970 Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the feedback ...

First, I have the Aperion speakers on hold. I haven't had them delivered yet. I'm trying to sort out the cable issue and interview a couple of installers for my back surround speakers.

I would prefer some bookshelf speakers but the room is odd in that I don't have shelves to put them on and more relevant I can't place them on stands because one of them will be sitting right in front of the walkway into the dining room living room (great room). I just don't see a practical way to do it. It's not an issue of expense.

You bring up a good point regarding the sub. I had read sub discussions here in the past. This was another reason I posted this because I might get reminded of alternate choices before I finalize my order. I will try to research some of the alternate sub options you mentioned.

I certainly see plenty of support for the less expensive cables. I suppose I'm looking for a more in depth discussion that explains/proves why the more expensive cables don't make a difference. I don't doubt these claims it's just my nature to want to see the evidence and understand the reasoning. It's my typical due diligence.

I will read through the cable thread you mentioned. I saw the thread earlier but didn't think the title was dead on so I didn't drill down into it. Thanks!!
post #6914 of 6970 Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 72
^ It is an almost universally accepted fact on this forum that paying much more than Monoprice would charge for a given cable is a waste of money. Go into any of the sections that would mention cables (e.g. TV, AVRs, blu ray players etc.) and do a search. Those few who claim otherwise are laughed off the forum as nut cases.
post #6915 of 6970 Old 07-08-2014, 11:12 AM

Yes, I see that it is almost universally accepted on the site that paying more for cables is a waste. The question then becomes what information, personal experiments, statistical studies, case studies, articles, etc have people seen in the past to convince them of this fact? I guess people are suppose to assume a fact is true without seeing the proof? It doesn't matter. I have a better handle on it with some article references.

I do need to look into the sub issue and reconsider the back surrounds issue as darthray keenly pointed out ...

I could get the bookshelf surrounds, put them on stands, and place them on the floor. One of them would have to placed just in front of the bar counter next to the hallway slightly outside where the towers would sit. I know this can't be easily visualized but it's not a good placement and it mucks up the interior design and layout of the room.

My initial thoughts were that accepting a minor loss in quality of the ceiling surrounds was better than placing the bookshelf speakers in an awkward and unsightly position in the room. You mentioned using my expected in ceiling speakers is not a big deal. Aperion also said this shouldn't make a huge difference. I'm assuming that this is a minor sacrifice and not a major loss in sound quality?

If there is a reference to better quality in ceiling back surrounds that someone has tried and knows to work well with the Aperion Grand Versus system that might be an option?
post #6916 of 6970 Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback ...

First, I have the Aperion speakers on hold. I haven't had them delivered yet. I'm trying to sort out the cable issue and interview a couple of installers for my back surround speakers.

I would prefer some bookshelf speakers but the room is odd in that I don't have shelves to put them on and more relevant I can't place them on stands because one of them will be sitting right in front of the walkway into the dining room living room (great room). I just don't see a practical way to do it. It's not an issue of expense.

You bring up a good point regarding the sub. I had read sub discussions here in the past. This was another reason I posted this because I might get reminded of alternate choices before I finalize my order. I will try to research some of the alternate sub options you mentioned.

I certainly see plenty of support for the less expensive cables. I suppose I'm looking for a more in depth discussion that explains/proves why the more expensive cables don't make a difference. I don't doubt these claims it's just my nature to want to see the evidence and understand the reasoning. It's my typical due diligence.

I will read through the cable thread you mentioned. I saw the thread earlier but didn't think the title was dead on so I didn't drill down into it. Thanks!!
All I was saying is aperion make great speakers but when it come to sub (as much I love the company and their custusmer service, there is other better option, sorry aperion!).
Love your due diligence!

Quote:
Yes, I see that it is almost universally accepted on the site that paying more for cables is a waste. The question then becomes what information, personal experiments, statistical studies, case studies, articles, etc have people seen in the past to convince them of this fact? I guess people are suppose to assume a fact is true without seeing the proof? It doesn't matter. I have a better handle on it with some article references.

I do need to look into the sub issue and reconsider the back surrounds issue as darthray keenly pointed out ...

I could get the bookshelf surrounds, put them on stands, and place them on the floor. One of them would have to placed just in front of the bar counter next to the hallway slightly outside where the towers would sit. I know this can't be easily visualized but it's not a good placement and it mucks up the interior design and layout of the room.

My initial thoughts were that accepting a minor loss in quality of the ceiling surrounds was better than placing the bookshelf speakers in an awkward and unsightly position in the room. You mentioned using my expected in ceiling speakers is not a big deal. Aperion also said this shouldn't make a huge difference. I'm assuming that this is a minor sacrifice and not a major loss in sound quality?

If there is a reference to better quality in ceiling back surrounds that someone has tried and knows to work well with the Aperion Grand Versus system that might be an option?
Cables can be way over price for snake oil like other said, or look.
A well made cable is a well made cable!
Sub wise, look at SVS or PSA (ex enginneer of SVS or some other that may have an opinion).

Look for review from customer and Professional!
Like you said, due your due diligence!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6917 of 6970 Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Cables can be way over price for snake oil like other said, or look.
A well made cable is a well made cable!
Sub wise, look at SVS or PSA (ex enginneer of SVS or some other that may have an opinion).

Look for review from customer and Professional!
Like you said, due your due diligence!

Ray
Regarding the cables:

Hmm ... I suppose a high level answer might be that the physical materials needed to achieve the electrical conditions necessary to avoid data loss are simply not that expensive. For my own curiosity, I'll probably drill down more to understand the materials used, electrical properties involved, and design strategies better.

Regarding the subwoofer:

I barely started looking at the sub last night. I started to look at the sealed vs ported sub characteristics.

At first glance it appears that the PSA XV15se is close to the same cost and has won a few awards. I really don't like their standard finish though. I'm not sure if these subs would be dramatically better than the Aperion Bravus II 12D or not that noticeable? I have a lot more posts to read which I remember talk about this. I could always get two of them and compare them when I do the install.

Cheers!!
Upsidedown2 likes this.
post #6918 of 6970 Old 07-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there anyone with the Verus Grands in the San Antonio, TX area who wouldn't mind auditioning them? I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a set of Aperion VGs or JTRs. From what I've read, they have dramatically different sonic characteristics. I'm trying to figure which I prefer. Thanks in advance.
post #6919 of 6970 Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varneysa View Post
Is there anyone with the Verus Grands in the San Antonio, TX area who wouldn't mind auditioning them? I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a set of Aperion VGs or JTRs. From what I've read, they have dramatically different sonic characteristics. I'm trying to figure which I prefer. Thanks in advance.
When it come to speakers, we all have a different point of view of what it is perfect!
apererion have a generous return policies and that is what I replace my old and beLove DIY.
I never thought this would happen!

I love the way they sound and the engineer thought beyind them of where to cut and where not to cut, to make them at a certain price.

For the JTR, I never heard them.
But if you could compare them side by side in your own house.
Then only you can decide and know what is your preference.
I do not know what JTR return policie are.

All I can tell you is, Me and lots of other people are quit happy with the Verus Grand.

Good luck in your search.

Ray
2liter and varneysa like this.

The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 07-10-2014 at 08:17 PM.
post #6920 of 6970 Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Grand towers for sale

Just figured I would post here real quick, listed my Verus Grand towers in the classifieds. Incredible speakers but schedule has changed and not using them to much (at all) over the past 6 months or next couple years.

post #6921 of 6970 Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the Advice

Quote:
When it come to speakers, we all have a different point of view of what it is perfect!
apererion have a generous return policies and that is what I replace my old and beLove DIY.
I never thought this would happen!

I love the way they sound and the engineer thought beyind them of where to cut and where not to cut, to make them at a certain price.

For the JTR, I never heard them.
But if you could compare them side by side in your own house.
Then only you can decide and know what is your preference.
I do not know what JTR return policie are.

All I can tell you is, Me and lots of other people are quit happy with the Verus Grand.

Good luck in your search.

Ray
Yeah, the free shipping/return policy along with the 10 year warranty is really enticing. Probably wouldn't be able to get both in home at the same time though, since the JTRs are built to order and have shipping fees both ways. If I'm unable to listen to some before I order in September, I might have to demo speakers with a similar sound e.g. horn vs. silk tweeter, etc. I've read that B&Ws, Def Techs, and Ascends are similar sounding to the Verus Grands. Maybe I'll have better luck hearing some of them instead. Thanks!
post #6922 of 6970 Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varneysa View Post
Yeah, the free shipping/return policy along with the 10 year warranty is really enticing. Probably wouldn't be able to get both in home at the same time though, since the JTRs are built to order and have shipping fees both ways. If I'm unable to listen to some before I order in September, I might have to demo speakers with a similar sound e.g. horn vs. silk tweeter, etc. I've read that B&Ws, Def Techs, and Ascends are similar sounding to the Verus Grands. Maybe I'll have better luck hearing some of them instead. Thanks!
Then give them a shot/listen
I did and find once they broke-in (I did not beleive in breaking a speaker before, or it could be get use to them).
I was perfectly Happy with them and will stay in my system for a very long time!

Other gears that I got to give you an idea:
Marantz AV8801
Outlaw 7700
SVS PB13 Ultra x 2
Oppo 103

They are nice speakers

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6923 of 6970 Old 07-12-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi

I have been a proud owner of the Aperion Intimus 4t Hybrid SD (swapped out the 4c for a 5c and due to my dead Aperion Bravus 10D I will be buying an SVS PB-1000 in the next few days as a last hoorah before my newborn comes in August.

We have made friends with some neighbors who mentioned they want to eventually buy a house warming gift for themselves by the name of Bose Lifestyle 535 which costs 3200 bucks.

The other night we had them over for dinner and while the wives were talking I took it upon myself to show him my Aperions. I mentioned he should look into them. He said he had never heard of them and Bose is the best in the industry. So total noob this guy.

I have scoured the internet avs forum and all all reputable sources and could not find the answer to this plain and simple.

Bose 535 performance/aesthetics = system X performance/asthetics

How much would one spend on system X to achieve equal performance/aesthetics as the Bose 535 setup.

Oh yeah, Lol, and here is a prime example of the Bose problem (paid reviews vs being honest and taken to court for misguided scientific claims I.e. consumer reports.

http://hometheaterbuddy.com/bose-lif...ies-ii-review/
2liter likes this.

Last edited by jayeberg; 07-12-2014 at 07:35 PM.
post #6924 of 6970 Old 07-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeberg View Post
Hi

I have been a proud owner of the Aperion Intimus 4t Hybrid SD (swapped out the 4c for a 5c and due to my dead Aperion Bravus 10D I will be buying an SVS PB-1000 in the next few days as a last hoorah before my newborn comes in August.

We have made friends with some neighbors who mentioned they want to eventually buy a house warming gift for themselves by the name of Bose Lifestyle 535 which costs 3200 bucks.

The other night we had them over for dinner and while the wives were talking I took it upon myself to show him my Aperions. I mentioned he should look into them. He said he had never heard of them and Bose is the best in the industry. So total noob this guy.

I have scoured the internet avs forum and all all reputable sources and could not find the answer to this plain and simple.

Bose 535 performance/aesthetics = system X performance/asthetics

How much would one spend on system X to achieve equal performance/aesthetics.

Oh yeah, Lol, and here is a prime example of the Bose problem (paid reviews vs being honest and taken to court for misguided scientific claims I.e. consumer reports.

http://hometheaterbuddy.com/bose-lif...ies-ii-review/
LOL, of course BOSE is the best
I will give them that, they are the king of advertising.

Back in the 90, Home theater Technologie did a rewiew,
The reviewer said
"After reviewing these speaker I found they are simply nothing like it, these are the worst speaker I ever had to rewiew...."
The following month BOSE put a full page advertisment in the same magasine,
Saying the name of the reviewer from Home theater Technologie who review the BOSE cube (I can't remember the model) and said
"After reviewing these speaker I found they are simply nothing like it..."
in nice big bold letters.

See how they change something bad and make it look good
Nowaday, when someone tell me they like BOSE
I just ask them how they like it, they always reply good since they never heard a real speaker and then change subject.

Too bad your neighbour is so set on BOSE, for $3200 he could have lots of nice option.

At least you know you can enjoy your apererion

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 07-12-2014 at 07:33 PM.
post #6925 of 6970 Old 07-12-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
LOL, of course BOSE is the best
I will give them that, they are the king of advertising.

Back in the 90, Home theater Technologie did a rewiew,
The reviewer said
"After reviewing these speaker I found they are simply nothing like it, these are the worst speaker I ever had to rewiew...."
The following month BOSE put a full page advertisment in the same magasine,
Saying the name of the reviewer from Home theater Technologie who review the BOSE cube (I can't remember the model) and said
"After reviewing these speaker I found they are simply nothing like it..."
in nice big bold letters.

See how they change something bad and make it look good
Nowaday, when someone tell me they like BOSE
I just ask them how they like it, they always reply good since they never heard a real speaker and then change subject.

Too bad your neighbour is so set on BOSE, for $3200 he could have lots of nice option.

At least you know you can enjoy your apererion

Ray
I think he would thank me later if I could find a system that sonically competes with the Bose and show him how much it costs.

Everywhere on the Internet says what you could get with that money spent on Bose but nowhere is my question answered.

Even better would my current setup as mentioned earlier stand out as a drastic audible improvement to (average Joe) someone who owns or thinks Bose sounds good?

I've talked to Michael and Donovan at AA and had a laugh overt it but I just have a habit of checking multiple times before I make opinions.

I'm also thinking of inviting them over for a movie night of Master and Commander.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying bash (if he's reading this(which means he's seen the light by now)) I get excited about researching HiFi HT. Lol.
post #6926 of 6970 Old 07-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think he would thank me later if I could find a system that sonically competes with the Bose and show him how much it costs.

Everywhere on the Internet says what you could get with that money spent on Bose but nowhere is my question answered.

Even better would my current setup as mentioned earlier stand out as a drastic audible improvement to (average Joe) someone who owns or thinks Bose sounds good?

I've talked to Michael and Donovan at AA and had a laugh overt it but I just have a habit of checking multiple times before I make opinions.

I'm also thinking of inviting them over for a movie night of Master and Commander.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying bash (if he's reading this(which means he's seen the light by now)) I get excited about researching HiFi HT. Lol.
You got it buddy!
Invite him over and let him see the light (or should I say hear the difference).
That way there is no mine is bigger than yours and he will to start to ask question!
But some people just don't care and listen to small details and are perfectly happy with a BoomBox sound.

Keep us inform!

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6927 of 6970 Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:

Im actually curious if anyone on here might know what someone would have to spend in order to match the Bose speaker' performance/aesthetics. I guess my post was to subtle but that's what I am getting at. I need AVS forum help finding this out.
post #6928 of 6970 Old 07-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Im actually curious if anyone on here might know what someone would have to spend in order to match the Bose speaker' performance/aesthetics. I guess my post was to subtle but that's what I am getting at. I need AVS forum help finding this out.
Before I bought my aperion Verus Grand, I had DIY.
My audio engineer buddy is now 2000 miles away!
I have learn at lot from him!

After 10 years with my belove DIY, I went with aperion for a change , after lots of research. and felt in Love with them.

The BOSE cube use driver that cost about $1.00 (my cost).
They sell those for about $100 for each one, how much a plastic cube cost?
I would say about $0.50 due to quantity.

On the Verus Grand, I am taking a shot in the dark.
Probably $35 for the tweeter, $50 for each mid and the same for the bass driver and
20-40 for the crossover.

That would cover the 300% return on your product (the norm) for but not like Bose who is more than in the thousnd % or so.

I use to own the BOSE301 and thought they were the BEST.
Until I went to a dealer and told me " bring them over and do a listen"
It was an eye opener!

Hopefully the person living next to you can see at well, if not Enjoy Your system

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6929 of 6970 Old 07-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Hi all,

New to the thread, and have been very interested in Aperion for some time. Although a lot of great information to read over here, I have a very specific question (for now).

I have a new Yamaha Rxv-1075 which has kicked me into the speaker upgrade mode due to more prominent mid-range sloppiness and lacking highs. System would be for 90% home theater application.

I am by no means here to talk-up B&W, but am using this example to explain what my end goal is, and see if Aperion is a potential good match for me.

I auditioned the BMW 600 series speakers at a local dealer, specifically looking for a centre for now with the rest of the system to be upgraded in the next year..... but want to match the series (obviously).

System auditioned:
  • B&W 684 Fronts (no 683's in stock)
  • B&W HTM61 Centre
  • B&W CMC-2 Centre
So this was the eye-opener for me of what my ears like. After watching Skyfall for some time, I found the HTM61 Centre to have the same downfalls that other brands I have auditioned (and my current system has). I found vocals to be (what he described) as "chesty" or a bit overly deep/boomy or muffled (kind of like everything is spoken in a larger room), similarly with sound effects. I had the associate hook up the CMC-2 after HTM61, and watched the same scenes in Skyfall...... with the same settings......and THAT is the sound I have been looking for. Accurate and not overwhelming mids, precision treble. Price point is significantly more....... almost double what I was hoping to spend on a 5.0 system (sub = SVS PB-10, to be upgraded later).

So really the big question is...... knowing the incredible value of Aperion....... do Aperion verus speakers have the precision and accuracy that I am now looking for? In your speaker shopping experiences, can anyone comment on the comparisons which I mentioned?

Edit: Also forgot to mention that I also tend to like a little more high frequency, and don't have a lot of experience between Aluminum vs. silk tweeters and their capabilities, so a bit curious about the performance of Aperion's silk's.

Thanks in advance.

Other speakers auditioned with similar results:
  • PSB Image & Imagine Series
  • Paradigm Monitor Series
  • Others not even worth mentioning........

Last edited by kellyk75; 07-22-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #6930 of 6970 Old 07-23-2014, 08:56 AM

Liked: 11
I'm in Uvalde and I love the Grands, you're welcome to come out if you want to make the trip.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page