Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 6940 Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by varneysa View Post
Is there anyone with the Verus Grands in the San Antonio, TX area who wouldn't mind auditioning them? I'm trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on a set of Aperion VGs or JTRs. From what I've read, they have dramatically different sonic characteristics. I'm trying to figure which I prefer. Thanks in advance.

I'm in Uvalde and I love the Grands, you're welcome to come out if you want to make the trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 6940 Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 AM

I have the Aperion Grand Center channel speaker and last night I noticed something. I was watching a movie and during a moment of intense screaming (still dialogue) the speaker didnt sound right. Im not an audiophile, but it seemed as the highs during screaming were being clipped? The volume was not turned up very loud. I am using a DenonX1000 as my AVR. Is this a speaker issue, or maybe the audio compression from my cable provider? Thanks
post #6933 of 6940 Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriusjt2 View Post
I have the Aperion Grand Center channel speaker and last night I noticed something. I was watching a movie and during a moment of intense screaming (still dialogue) the speaker didnt sound right. Im not an audiophile, but it seemed as the highs during screaming were being clipped? The volume was not turned up very loud. I am using a DenonX1000 as my AVR. Is this a speaker issue, or maybe the audio compression from my cable provider? Thanks

Make sure you have the volume limiter off and the dynamic range limiter set to off in your Denon, both of these can cause what you are experiencing. Also, depending on what was on, your AVR could have been clipping as well. But, if you don't hear that on regular DVD's and Blu-Rays, then I would suspect the cable provider.
post #6934 of 6940 Old 07-23-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
Make sure you have the volume limiter off and the dynamic range limiter set to off in your Denon, both of these can cause what you are experiencing. Also, depending on what was on, your AVR could have been clipping as well. But, if you don't hear that on regular DVD's and Blu-Rays, then I would suspect the cable provider.
I also have the X1000 and I'm wondering how you put the volume limiter and dynamic range limiter to off? I'm not by a manual or my setup right now, but would love to have a look at this when I get home without having to dig through the manual if you already know it. I'd much rather play with my little 1 year old

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Realized you're talking about the maximum volume (volume limiter). I've set it at 0dB, but if setting that to something instead of OFF will mess with the sound then I'll turn it off. I just worry since my daughter likes to grab the remotes and I can just see her holding down the volume UP button lol

For the dynamic range...is that the setting in the Surround Parameters? I don't have any of that on so I should be okay there. Just using Audyssey w/ Dynamic EQ, but that's it.

On a side note, the remote for this X1000 sucks. The one for my 1712 is soo much better

Panny 65st60 / Denon / EMP e55ti / EMP e56ci / EMP e5bi / (2) e1010i

Last edited by ousooner2; 07-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.
post #6935 of 6940 Old 07-23-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_c View Post
I'm in Uvalde and I love the Grands, you're welcome to come out if you want to make the trip.
I live outside the SA city limits, closer to Castroville, so Uvalde wouldn't be a problem at all My wife has our weekends booked for the next couple of weeks, but maybe I could visit for a demo sometime in August? Thanks for the offer!

-Bryant
post #6936 of 6940 Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk75 View Post
Hi all,

New to the thread, and have been very interested in Aperion for some time. Although a lot of great information to read over here, I have a very specific question (for now).

I have a new Yamaha Rxv-1075 which has kicked me into the speaker upgrade mode due to more prominent mid-range sloppiness and lacking highs. System would be for 90% home theater application.

I am by no means here to talk-up B&W, but am using this example to explain what my end goal is, and see if Aperion is a potential good match for me.

I auditioned the BMW 600 series speakers at a local dealer, specifically looking for a centre for now with the rest of the system to be upgraded in the next year..... but want to match the series (obviously).

System auditioned:
  • B&W 684 Fronts (no 683's in stock)
  • B&W HTM61 Centre
  • B&W CMC-2 Centre
So this was the eye-opener for me of what my ears like. After watching Skyfall for some time, I found the HTM61 Centre to have the same downfalls that other brands I have auditioned (and my current system has). I found vocals to be (what he described) as "chesty" or a bit overly deep/boomy or muffled (kind of like everything is spoken in a larger room), similarly with sound effects. I had the associate hook up the CMC-2 after HTM61, and watched the same scenes in Skyfall...... with the same settings......and THAT is the sound I have been looking for. Accurate and not overwhelming mids, precision treble. Price point is significantly more....... almost double what I was hoping to spend on a 5.0 system (sub = SVS PB-10, to be upgraded later).

So really the big question is...... knowing the incredible value of Aperion....... do Aperion verus speakers have the precision and accuracy that I am now looking for? In your speaker shopping experiences, can anyone comment on the comparisons which I mentioned?

Edit: Also forgot to mention that I also tend to like a little more high frequency, and don't have a lot of experience between Aluminum vs. silk tweeters and their capabilities, so a bit curious about the performance of Aperion's silk's.

Thanks in advance.

Other speakers auditioned with similar results:
  • PSB Image & Imagine Series
  • Paradigm Monitor Series
  • Others not even worth mentioning........
Any opinions would be appreciated.............
post #6937 of 6940 Old 07-24-2014, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANS1 View Post
Just figured I would post here real quick, listed my Verus Grand towers in the classifieds. Incredible speakers but schedule has changed and not using them to much (at all) over the past 6 months or next couple years.
You know speakers can be good for years!
If I was you, I would keep them instead of taking a hit of losing money for something that would eventualy need to be replace!

If you need the money, then it is a personnal decision, if not keep them and enjoy them later.
Schedule, Always change!
Right now, I can only watch a movie once or twice a month but eventually I will go back to a lot more.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #6938 of 6940 Old Today, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
You know speakers can be good for years!
If I was you, I would keep them instead of taking a hit of losing money for something that would eventualy need to be replace!

If you need the money, then it is a personnal decision, if not keep them and enjoy them later.
Schedule, Always change!
Right now, I can only watch a movie once or twice a month but eventually I will go back to a lot more.

Ray
Oh I know they last a long, long time. I flip flop on whether to sell them, in fact I had an hour to kill and watched the 1st episode of Extant and said to myself. 'Are you crazy these speakers are amazing, filling the room with pure sound'.

Really trying to shake up my schedule to get more use ou of them :-)
post #6939 of 6940 Old Today, 09:10 AM

Hello all. I wanted to share my Aperion experience with the forum. I started with the intimus set almost 3 years ago. I finally got around to wiring everything through the attic and actually setting up my surrounds at the correct hight. I built a custom ceiling mount for the right side since I could not find anything in the market for the application. It turned out pretty clean and polished.

Before (2011, 3.1)

Now (2013, 5.2 w/Bi amped fronts) Nevermind the missing TV...

post #6940 of 6940 Old Today, 09:31 AM

Liked: 12
Very impressive! Thank you for sharing.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page