Forum Jump: 

post #6961 of 6985 Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I cannot give an an opinion on the mount since I have no experience with them.
For your room.
Can you post a picture or better yet a diagram so me or other can help?

5.1 might be a better option, but without seeying a layout or picture.
It would be a shot in the dark!
For me, anyway!

Ray
Thanks.

Here's a pic. I would mount the rears on the wall in the back angled and pointing at the listening area. I can't do it directly behind because there is a window there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6962 of 6985 Old 08-06-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwad View Post
Hello Versus Grand Bookshelf Owners.

I am considering upgrading my front three LCR in my bedroom (I have 5.1 surround) fed by Marantz SR 5008 and Emotiva UPA-500 amp. I have been looking hard at the Whardale Diamond 10.2 Bookshelfs and Center, but these Asperions look great. Would anyone be able to compare the Versus Grand Bookshelf to the Wharfdale Diamond 10.2 Bookshelfs in terms of sound? I have a preference for warm sound.

Thanks to anyone for their time.

Robert
Never heard the Diamonds.
But the Verus are been knowed to be on the neutral side if that's what you mean by warm.

Ray
goodwad and 2liter like this.

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #6963 of 6985 Old 08-06-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl7519 View Post
Thanks.

Here's a pic. I would mount the rears on the wall in the back angled and pointing at the listening area. I can't do it directly behind because there is a window there.

Directly beyind you would be too close anyway.
It might work in a 7.1, but I think if you move side surronds a little bit forward.
Maybe to the front of the listening position, you will have a better surronding environment.
That said, only if you listen to everything in 7.1 because if you do like I do, listen to movie the way they are recorded ie leave 5.1 to 5.1 and 7.1 to 7.1, your surronds will sound too forward for 5.1

If you want to listen to the original recording and not forcing it into a matrix 7.1 for a 5.1
Then I would put your surronds (direct surronds and do 5.1) at the position of the rear of your diahgram and it should sound Pretty good for everything.

Your other option would be.
Moving every thing the other way (left to right or right to left, instead front to back, you can use the lenght of the room) so one of your side surrond are next to the window (facing the litening spot) and the other side surronds on the oposite wall at equal distance.
That way you will be able to put some back surronds beyind you, and you woud have the option to listen to listen to 5.1 or 7.1 or Matrix everything

My last would make a space beyind your listening spot, but I don't know where your door would be due to your room lay out.

Hope this help a little.

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 08-06-2014 at 08:30 PM.
post #6964 of 6985 Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 143
When I called Aperion to ask if they'd match the recent sale I got the answer I expected, no. However he did mention they are coming out with something in the spring of next year. So now I guess I play the waiting game. Appearance is also important to me. Otherwise I'd just got some Sierra's or something like that. But even though I don't like the brightness of the Klipsch some times, I like their dark full body magnetic grills. I also like the look of the Grands.

Has anyone thought of how the Grands stack up the similar priced fronts? Like the SVS Ultra series?

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #6965 of 6985 Old 08-09-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post
When I called Aperion to ask if they'd match the recent sale I got the answer I expected, no. However he did mention they are coming out with something in the spring of next year. So now I guess I play the waiting game. Appearance is also important to me. Otherwise I'd just got some Sierra's or something like that. But even though I don't like the brightness of the Klipsch some times, I like their dark full body magnetic grills. I also like the look of the Grands.

Has anyone thought of how the Grands stack up the similar priced fronts? Like the SVS Ultra series?
I could not find a direct vs to vs.
Here's a couple links from another site.
Both have good review!

aperion
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...ws/verus-grand
SVS Ultra
http://www.audioholics.com/tower-spe...speakers-video

Both are very good.
I personally went with the aperion Verus Grand for the finish and the way they look (for space wise).
Also after talking to my Audio buddy, who is a sound Engineer, He did prefer them.

That said, he also know that I have 2 SVS PB Ultra subs (so was he's decision about the speaker only or for my set-up?).
So He might have look at mid/high advantage.

I personally think the aperion have an advantage on the upper end, but if you do not have solid sub, the SVS Ultra might serve you better since they are better than aperion (in the lower end) in my honest opinion.

I have supported both company (and a few more, every chance I got).
In these forums, the member should come first.

Read the reviews about both and decide for yourself!
I did for 2 months and settle on the aperion, but your choice might be different.

It is all, about personal preference.
Preference is HARD to please, sometime the Best Engineer piece of equipment (speakers/amps) is not what someone like.
For example, I use to listen movies at 5Db (Bass) over reference and now settle at +1, and actualy prefer it that way.

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6966 of 6985 Old 08-09-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 2 subs and a denon x4000 so it equalizes them very well. One sub from SVS so I am rockin the low end. I hope they add a new style when they release their new line. Something like dark expresso or something because that is the color of my cabinet.

I'm willing to spend on the upgrade, but not only the sound has to be great, it has to LOOK great too. The Grand style is nice, but I'm waiting for that perfect color styling I love. Thanks for your opinion on that. The Grands do sound like a good speaker to try, I just have to be patient now.

post #6967 of 6985 Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have a 533 vac center they want to sale?
post #6968 of 6985 Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have 2 subs and a denon x4000 so it equalizes them very well. One sub from SVS so I am rockin the low end. I hope they add a new style when they release their new line. Something like dark expresso or something because that is the color of my cabinet.

I'm willing to spend on the upgrade, but not only the sound has to be great, it has to LOOK great too. The Grand style is nice, but I'm waiting for that perfect color styling I love. Thanks for your opinion on that. The Grands do sound like a good speaker to try, I just have to be patient now.
Then do like I did!
Read lots reviews and try to look what they are comparing them to.

For the finish, not every can be satisfied unless you are willing to pay more personal finish.
I got the Black satin for my aperion and when polish!, just georgous!
Also a pain to keep up, but the Rosewood would not match my dark theater room.

Also, I see you got Klipsch as speaker that you are using now.
The aperion and SVS will be a lot more lay back.
But once you get use to more balance sound, there is no way back as far as I am consern but preference differ between individual.

Good Luck in your search

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6969 of 6985 Old 08-20-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I've gotten the klipsch sounding much better now so I'm not even in the market to upgrade any more. I love my klipsch. I doubt the grands would be enough of an upgrade for me to not get buyers remorse investing $2800 in them. Continue to enjoy your speakers everyone! Maybe some day in the future I will take the free trail to see what I'm missing. For now I say, goodbye!

post #6970 of 6985 Old 08-21-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've gotten the klipsch sounding much better now so I'm not even in the market to upgrade any more. I love my klipsch. I doubt the grands would be enough of an upgrade for me to not get buyers remorse investing $2800 in them. Continue to enjoy your speakers everyone! Maybe some day in the future I will take the free trail to see what I'm missing. For now I say, goodbye!
I am glad to see you have resolve your sound problem
And also glad you are not abusing the generous return offer of ID company!

They can only compete and offer better deal by taking only a certain percentage of free return.

This make you a better person in my book
We have different preference in sound, but this what audio is all about.

Enjoy your system

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6971 of 6985 Old 09-08-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Dolby Atmos seems to be the new hot topic. Does Aperion have plans to address this? Most of us will have issues adding speakers to the ceiling. Maybe an Atmos enabled up-firing module to add to the top of my VGT's and Verus Dipole surrounds?
2liter likes this.
post #6972 of 6985 Old 09-11-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dupt00 View Post
Dolby Atmos seems to be the new hot topic. Does Aperion have plans to address this? Most of us will have issues adding speakers to the ceiling. Maybe an Atmos enabled up-firing module to add to the top of my VGT's and Verus Dipole surrounds?
Our Product and Development team are always actively researching and investigating new product options. At this time, there is no news for an "Atmos" specific speaker that we have been alerted too. Keep and eye out and keep checking in with us periodically. The up rise of the Atmos technology will have many changes for a lot of speaker companies.

What hurdles does your current room configuration have now? Have you considered front height/wide surrounds? Have you selected an AVR that is "Atmos" compatible?

Our development team is taking a close look at the potential options for producing an "Atmos" specific speaker, rather than just throwing something generic on top of our existing product.

Cheers and Happy Listening.
donovan
post #6973 of 6985 Old 09-14-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupt00 View Post
You are aware that Atmos is a new decoding format!?
Nothing to do with a way a speaker is built or design.

A well design speaker been aperion or other brand have nothing to do with the Atmos decoding new format.

Back in the 80's when digital was the "new thing"
A sell pitch was "digital ready speaker"
Really? a speaker only reconize analog.

What ever signal send to a specific speaker will only reconize that and nothing else.

If I came too strong, then Sorry.
Just want to make sure that you understand that Atmos is a decoding system, and have nothing to do with how a speaker is built or design.

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6974 of 6985 Old 09-14-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No harm no foul.
I was referring to 'Atmos Enabled Speakers'. The basic concept is the L/R speakers have a driver firing up at the ceiling at an angle. The reflected sound off the ceiling eliminates the need for ceiling mounted speakers, which is a problem for most of us.
post #6975 of 6985 Old 09-24-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Time to upgrade

About 4.5 years ago I built my first home theater system. That time I had a small room (16′x17′) to work with and modest budget. I used to live in Beaverton, OR then and had a chance to visit Aperion showroom to listen to the speakers myself. I went with 2 5T, 1 5C, 2 4BP speakers and a 10D sub based on recommendations from Aperion experts and hooked it up to my Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver. It has been wonderful.

Fast forward to today, we’ve recently moved to a new place and now I have a dedicated media room in the basement and it’s huge (26′x21′). Also it’s already wired for a 7.1 surround sound. I’m still using the same system here, but seeing that the room is bigger and already wired for 7.1, I am wondering if I can add 2 more speakers to make it to a 7.1 system.

Also the room was already wired for a projector setup, so all I did was install a 135″ screen and a Epson 5030UB projector. Since the room is dedicated media room, it has a dark paint and thick drapes to block all light coming from outside. It really feels like a mini movie theater and I want my sound system to match the visual experience.

How do I go about doing that? Any recommendations?
2liter likes this.

Aperion Intimus 5T+5C+4BP+10D 5.1 speakers
Onkyo TX-NR708
Epson Home Cinema 5030UB
post #6976 of 6985 Old 09-24-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naknomik View Post

You might talk to the guys at Aperion and ask their recommendation, but since it is already prewired you could just add another 2 of the 4BP or similar bookshelf models to match with your existing system.
2liter likes this.
post #6977 of 6985 Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
About 4.5 years ago I built my first home theater system. That time I had a small room (16′x17′) to work with and modest budget. I used to live in Beaverton, OR then and had a chance to visit Aperion showroom to listen to the speakers myself. I went with 2 5T, 1 5C, 2 4BP speakers and a 10D sub based on recommendations from Aperion experts and hooked it up to my Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver. It has been wonderful.

Fast forward to today, we’ve recently moved to a new place and now I have a dedicated media room in the basement and it’s huge (26′x21′). Also it’s already wired for a 7.1 surround sound. I’m still using the same system here, but seeing that the room is bigger and already wired for 7.1, I am wondering if I can add 2 more speakers to make it to a 7.1 system.

Also the room was already wired for a projector setup, so all I did was install a 135″ screen and a Epson 5030UB projector. Since the room is dedicated media room, it has a dark paint and thick drapes to block all light coming from outside. It really feels like a mini movie theater and I want my sound system to match the visual experience.

For this room
I think 7.1 could offer some advantage.
I personaly leave a 5.1 movie to 5.1 and when a movie is 7.1 it is just more gravy on the fries.

But you have the space, so I would go for it.

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6978 of 6985 Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjp55 View Post
You might talk to the guys at Aperion and ask their recommendation, but since it is already prewired you could just add another 2 of the 4BP or similar bookshelf models to match with your existing system.
+1

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6979 of 6985 Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:

You do have a couple of options for your new rears, depending on how the room is set up behind you... give Aperion a call at 888.880.8992, 8am - 5pm PST.
post #6980 of 6985 Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
about 4.5 years ago i built my first home theater system. That time i had a small room (16′x17′) to work with and modest budget. I used to live in beaverton, or then and had a chance to visit aperion showroom to listen to the speakers myself. I went with 2 5t, 1 5c, 2 4bp speakers and a 10d sub based on recommendations from aperion experts and hooked it up to my onkyo tx-nr708 receiver. It has been wonderful.

Fast forward to today, we’ve recently moved to a new place and now i have a dedicated media room in the basement and it’s huge (26′x21′). Also it’s already wired for a 7.1 surround sound. I’m still using the same system here, but seeing that the room is bigger and already wired for 7.1, i am wondering if i can add 2 more speakers to make it to a 7.1 system.

Also the room was already wired for a projector setup, so all i did was install a 135″ screen and a epson 5030ub projector. Since the room is dedicated media room, it has a dark paint and thick drapes to block all light coming from outside. It really feels like a mini movie theater and i want my sound system to match the visual experience.

How do i go about doing that? Any recommendations?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjp55 View Post
you might talk to the guys at aperion and ask their recommendation, but since it is already prewired you could just add another 2 of the 4bp or similar bookshelf models to match with your existing system.
+ 1
darthray likes this.
post #6981 of 6985 Old 09-26-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a thought for the aperion Engineer.

In an other tread, we were debating about the merits of towers and bookshelf when match with a sub.
A very good sugestion came by in the way of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray
My preference for tower fall into this thinking.
I will use my speakers for an exemple;
My aperion Verus Grand Bookshelf specification are as follow +/- 3db 59hz to ...
My aperion Verus Grand towers spec are +/- 3db 45 hz to ...

Member reply

You can't just look at the frequency specs. The Verus Grand bookshelf has a single 5 inch midbass driver. The Verus Grand tower has two 5 inch midbasses, as well as two 6 inch woofers. With both running to only 80Hz the tower will have a significant advantage just by dint of the cone area. But as fully half the size of the cabinet is there to allow the 6 inchers to work to 45Hz it's wasted space, and money, if they're only being used to 80Hz.
It would be interesting if Aperion offered both a tower and a bookshelf at $999, but they don't. I expect that the $799 Verus Grand Center with two 6 inch midbasses would at least equal the tower above 80Hz, though there's no way to be sure, as Aperion doesn't post the data necessary to make that determination. It's odd that Aperion doesn't make a vertical version of the 2x6 center, as it would be a far better performer than the 1x5 bookshelf model.

End of quote/reply

I was debating the merits of tower versus bookshelf, when use with a sub when this quote came-up (I did ask if was oK).

I think, it would/could be a perfect example of what a perfect match bookshelf could do.
I would still buy the tower for look, but think it could be the perfect bookshelf!

Ray

The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 09-26-2014 at 11:13 PM.
post #6982 of 6985 Old 09-27-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Considering the verus forte or the veus grand center, looking for opinions and differences between them thanks
post #6983 of 6985 Old 09-27-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer View Post
Considering the verus forte or the veus grand center, looking for opinions and differences between them thanks
What left and right speakers do you own?
The grand is better than the forte, but your center should match the family of your main.

If you own the grand serie, then I would not skimp-out on the extra money!
If you own the forte serie, I am not sure if the Verus grand center is compatible, close maybe but not %100 voice match due to different drivers and crossover.
So I would stick to the forte center.

If you own a different brand, then I would think you would be best serve with a matching center from that brand.

Hope this help you a little

Ray
2liter likes this.

The more you have
The longer you live
post #6984 of 6985 Old 11-16-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Intimus 5DB placement help

Does anyone who owns the Intimus 5DB dipole/bipole surrounds have them mounted on the rear wall as opposed to the side wall, which, from my understanding, is the preferred placement? My room design does not allow for side mounting and the rear wall would be perfect as far as height and distance to my "sweet spot". I use my HT for 50-50 movies/music (mostly stereo music). The spkrs would be mounted roughly 30" above my listening position and about 9' apart and 3.5ft from the side walls. Room is about 16 x 13 w/ 8ft ceilings. Also using Intimus 6T for main fronts, 6C for center and Bravus 12D sub. Emotiva UPA-7 drives the spkrs. Would prefer not to use speaker stands for side placement as they would be in traffic flow of room. Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by TKORTech; 11-17-2014 at 11:04 PM.
post #6985 of 6985 Old 11-24-2014, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is a real shame that Aperion opted to ignore this thread, as well as their own forum. It used to be that something would never go a day or two without Hicks chiming in. Now, nothing. I just checked their own forum on their website, and people have posted asking questions, only to not have a response from Aperion staff. If I was buying today, without prior experience like when I bought years ago, it would be a definite no go.
gpzbc likes this.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page