*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 235 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7021 of 7047 Old 02-17-2015, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I wonder why there's no love for Aperion on this community. There is no active discussion like in the owner threads for other ID companies. IMO, it’s a shame.

Anyways, I was able to find a pair of used Aperion Verus Grand Towers in Cherry on Craigslist. They were in great condition with just short of two years of use, so I bought them during the weekend. I am still missing the center--which I have on order from Aperion--but wanted to give my quick take for anyone who might be researching this model.

I auditioned models from Golden Ear, Definitive Technology, Bower & Wilikins, Energy, Martin Logan, & Totem Acoustics in a couple local showrooms, including a Magnolia center. I auditioned the Aperions in the previous owner’s room and—obviously—as soon as I got them home.

In short: These towers are great and completely worth the MSRP. They also look amazing, with a WAF/SAF of 10.

In long: The Aperion Verus Grand Towers look amazing and have a sound to match their look. They offer a clear, neutral, rich sound with an incredible sound stage. They are not tiring or too forward, yet I would not describe them as laid back lazy. They sounded incredible at the previous owner’s place, powered by a new Marantz; however, they are definitely better at my place, even though my receiver is not as nice (a STR-DN1040).

After hooking them up, I turned my receiver DSPs off and played some trip hop. I started with Waldek’s Ballroom Stories. Austrian singer Zeebee is not known for glass-breaking vocals, but her sound is complex and rich, and Waldek complements it with highly musical arrangements. Wow. It was like discovering that long play all over again. Throughout the rest of the day I listened to some Esthero, Massive Attack, Chambao, Parov Stellar, Tom Waits, Nancy and Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Mongo Santamaria, Tito Puente, and Nina Simone with similar results. I wasn’t letting these speakers go.

But to stay in my main room, they have to pass one more test. Inception. As I am yet to receive the Aperion center channel, so I disconnected my current center. Holy imaging! I mean, I’d noticed it while listening to big band jazz, but I swear I could point at DiCaprio with my eyes closed. I was following gunshots parallel to the screen, left to right. I’m impressed. That level of front stage localization with no center speaker being employed, incredible.

There are some compromises but at this price-point, I think the Aperions are a great deal and surpass anything I heard from other manufacturers. They are gorgeous and sound great. I am very happy to own them.
The grills are almost impossible to remove, though.
darthray and BacHolz like this.

Samsung PN60F8500
Sony PS4/PS3 - Microsoft Xbox 360 - Asustek MiniUPnP DLNA
Sony STR-DN1040
Aperion Verus Grand Tower + Center + Energy Satellites (Surround/Presence)
Rythmik FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7047 Old 02-17-2015, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you for posting your experience.
post #7023 of 7047 Old 02-17-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
Here they are (it is)

Got them home last night and got the original box and socks with them! $1,400 and I think it was worth it!
(click to enlarge)

Can't wait to put them through their paces. WAF factor of 10 and she loves they way they look.

PS, sorry for the mess. Just moving in!

Welcome to the family
Are you getting the matching center?
It is down by $200, only $600 now!!!

Let us know of your impression, I sure love mine

Ray
post #7024 of 7047 Old 02-17-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherbreak View Post
I wonder why there's no love for Aperion on this community. There is no active discussion like in the owner threads for other ID companies. IMO, it’s a shame.

Anyways, I was able to find a pair of used Aperion Verus Grand Towers in Cherry on Craigslist. They were in great condition with just short of two years of use, so I bought them during the weekend. I am still missing the center--which I have on order from Aperion--but wanted to give my quick take for anyone who might be researching this model.

I auditioned models from Golden Ear, Definitive Technology, Bower & Wilikins, Energy, Martin Logan, & Totem Acoustics in a couple local showrooms, including a Magnolia center. I auditioned the Aperions in the previous owner’s room and—obviously—as soon as I got them home.

In short: These towers are great and completely worth the MSRP. They also look amazing, with a WAF/SAF of 10.

In long: The Aperion Verus Grand Towers look amazing and have a sound to match their look. They offer a clear, neutral, rich sound with an incredible sound stage. They are not tiring or too forward, yet I would not describe them as laid back lazy. They sounded incredible at the previous owner’s place, powered by a new Marantz; however, they are definitely better at my place, even though my receiver is not as nice (a STR-DN1040).

After hooking them up, I turned my receiver DSPs off and played some trip hop. I started with Waldek’s Ballroom Stories. Austrian singer Zeebee is not known for glass-breaking vocals, but her sound is complex and rich, and Waldek complements it with highly musical arrangements. Wow. It was like discovering that long play all over again. Throughout the rest of the day I listened to some Esthero, Massive Attack, Chambao, Parov Stellar, Tom Waits, Nancy and Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Mongo Santamaria, Tito Puente, and Nina Simone with similar results. I wasn’t letting these speakers go.

But to stay in my main room, they have to pass one more test. Inception. As I am yet to receive the Aperion center channel, so I disconnected my current center. Holy imaging! I mean, I’d noticed it while listening to big band jazz, but I swear I could point at DiCaprio with my eyes closed. I was following gunshots parallel to the screen, left to right. I’m impressed. That level of front stage localization with no center speaker being employed, incredible.

There are some compromises but at this price-point, I think the Aperions are a great deal and surpass anything I heard from other manufacturers. They are gorgeous and sound great. I am very happy to own them.

Thanks for the detail post

It is always good to know what they are compare too.
Like you, I think this tread should have more traffic.
But as you said "There are some compromises but at this price-point, I think the Aperions are a great deal and surpass anything I heard from other manufacturers. They are gorgeous and sound great."

If they increase the price they might loose some customer, if the price go down, then the quality might have to take a hit.
I think the price is right, but new customer are afraid to spend this type of money on a jem that is not well know.

I try to advertise them and other, depending of the budget and requirement from the OP.

I think, I did my share for a few new owner (new and used) by participate on a few treads.
But Like you said, this tread need more traffic
Also, lately there seem to be Lots of new treads for some new members that don't seem to do any homework and a tread like this one can be buried very fast.

For the few that did some homework, and have no clue.
I try to help them

Welcome to the family of aperion and Happy listening.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 02-17-2015 at 08:27 PM.
post #7025 of 7047 Old 02-17-2015, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherbreak View Post

I tried out a pair of Forte towers and unfortunately was not impressed. They do have a very smooth tweeter,very clear. Bass response was next to nothing. I do use a sub but I like to run my towers full band from time to time. I compared them with my Energy Rc 50's and the Energy's were far better. I sent back the Fortes and will hang on to my Energy's. Very good experience with Aperion customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpzbc, el_Fernando and 2liter like this.

-SAMSUNG UN607150/OPPO BDP 103D
-ENERGY RC-50 FRONTS
-ENERGY RC-LCR CENTER
-ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS
-ONKYO TX-NR3010
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...5se-725-a.html
post #7026 of 7047 Old 02-17-2015, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
I tried out a pair of Forte towers and unfortunately was not impressed. They do have a very smooth tweeter,very clear. Bass response was next to nothing. I do use a sub but I like to run my towers full band from time to time. I compared them with my Energy Rc 50's and the Energy's were far better. I sent back the Fortes and will hang on to my Energy's. Very good experience with Aperion customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not heard the RC-50s--or the Fortes--but I hold Energy speakers in high regard. I am not surprised to hear you prefer Energy's offering. I auditioned the CF-70 at Magnolia and found them to be really good. They did not seem out of place in the room alongside B&W and Martin Logan's priced two or three times as much. Yet, there is a substantial difference in price between the CF-70s and the Verus Grands, and it is apparent both in the complexity of the sound, build quality, and looks.

Samsung PN60F8500
Sony PS4/PS3 - Microsoft Xbox 360 - Asustek MiniUPnP DLNA
Sony STR-DN1040
Aperion Verus Grand Tower + Center + Energy Satellites (Surround/Presence)
Rythmik FV15HP
post #7027 of 7047 Old 02-18-2015, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Welcome to the family
Are you getting the matching center?
It is down by $200, only $600 now!!!

Let us know of your impression, I sure love mine

Ray
I'm still working on my dedicated room so the wife and I watched GOTG yesterday with just the aperion 2.0 . These two speakers are all my wife wanted downstairs in the TV room since I got to have a dedicated room now. But after watching the movie and some tv, she even asked if I was going to get a center chanel. Might just have to get one now.

Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent.
el_Fernando and 2liter like this.
post #7028 of 7047 Old 02-18-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm still working on my dedicated room so the wife and I watched GOTG yesterday with just the aperion 2.0 . These two speakers are all my wife wanted downstairs in the TV room since I got to have a dedicated room now. But after watching the movie and some tv, she even asked if I was going to get a center chanel. Might just have to get one now.

Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent.

Good to hear that you are Happy with there sound
And you went through lots of quality speakers.

For your room, sound like your better half has already give you her blessing for a center speaker
And it should be match in my honest opinion.

For the rest of the room, take your time.
Do the surround one set (if you intend to go from 5.1 to 7.1) at the time as budget permit.
None matching will work, but if you have the patience and time.
Then I would also go with the Verus (bookshelf).

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7029 of 7047 Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GOTG? cannot figure out what movie it is

also your quote "Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent" end-quote

Not sure what type of music you like, try "Enter the Sandman" from Metallica and play it loud.
Listen to the drummer, this guy really give-it hard and you feel-it

The Grand really give it to you

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7030 of 7047 Old 02-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
GOTG? cannot figure out what movie it is

also your quote "Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent" end-quote

Not sure what type of music you like, try "Enter the Sandman" from Metallica and play it loud.
Listen to the drummer, this guy really give-it hard and you feel-it

The Grand really give it to you

Ray
GOTG: Guardians Of The Galaxy!

AZ for music I enjoy it all. I have really come to like The Vitamin String Quartet which takes well known music and does an orchestra only version. Their violins and other instruments sound amazing on these speakers. Love what they did with Iron Maidens Run to The Hills,Tool's Sober and Guns & Roses Welcome To The Jungle. Awesome stuff
darthray and 2liter like this.
post #7031 of 7047 Old 02-19-2015, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need advice. I am building a new house and currently have an Aperion center channel speaker with four speakercraft ceiling speakers and an Integra receiver and Polk PSW110 subwoofer.

Question:

I have a listening area of 14X14X9 ft ceiling. I visited the Aperion web site and see that they have the L6-IC speakers for ceiling mounting. I would buy five since I cannot use my existing center channel. I am also interested in their Bravos 8 inch subwoofer.

1. Has anyone used any of these speakers?

2. Is the 6 inch ceiling speaker big enough to sound good?

3. I had been looking at the HTD 8 inch Ceiling speakers. Seems to have e good reviews.

4. Also looking at the SVS SB1000 subwoofer. Has anyone bough the 8 inch Apron subwoofer?

Thanks
post #7032 of 7047 Old 02-19-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
GOTG: Guardians Of The Galaxy!

AZ for music I enjoy it all. I have really come to like The Vitamin String Quartet which takes well known music and does an orchestra only version. Their violins and other instruments sound amazing on these speakers. Love what they did with Iron Maidens Run to The Hills,Tool's Sober and Guns & Roses Welcome To The Jungle. Awesome stuff

Dow! I should have figure this one.

It is good for all of us that you have such a variety of music.
Personally I am hard rock person.

That said, the first thing I listen to my Verus Grand were a different selections of:
Female voice
Stuff with piano and
Plain old string guitar to test them.

There was one song from Supertramp (the cd with School, brain fart, I cannot remember the name of the cd, even if it was their biggest one) that I could tell, the lead singer was singing through a microphone (studio recording).
I don't remember the song since it was a while ago, also hard to describe, just a very subtle little sound, like someone having a drag from a cigarette (very faint, but it is there).

At the end, even if I am a hard rock person.
I know to listen to other stuff to find out if a speaker can produce all the little nuance in the recording.

Thanks for your impression
You went through a big variety of different music and it show that a good speaker is just that, not design for one particular type

Happy listening

Ray
2liter likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 02-20-2015 at 07:47 PM.
post #7033 of 7047 Old 03-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Hey everyone - I've been a loyal Klipsch owner for many years, but I'm about to upgrade, and I think I need to venture out and try something new. I've been reading a lot of reviews on the Aspersion Grand Verus Towers and Center and have been impressed with all the praise it has garnered. I really wanted to see if there are any former Klipsch owners (specifically the Reference line) that could comment on how they like the Aspersion's versus their Klipsh speakers. Thanks for the help.

Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64II, RS-52 II's
SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung PN64F8500 with Ideal-Lume Panelight
Panasonic 65VT30 (Master Bedroom)
post #7034 of 7047 Old 03-18-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post
Hey everyone - I've been a loyal Klipsch owner for many years, but I'm about to upgrade, and I think I need to venture out and try something new. I've been reading a lot of reviews on the Aspersion Grand Verus Towers and Center and have been impressed with all the praise it has garnered. I really wanted to see if there are any former Klipsch owners (specifically the Reference line) that could comment on how they like the Aspersion's versus their Klipsh speakers. Thanks for the help.

As a owner of aperion Verus Grand, I can tell you they sound great.

First I would suggest you listen to some speakers that are also know as Neutral in a store.
Just to find out if it a sound that you can live with.

The reason I said that is the Klipsh are know to be a forward/bright speaker.
Once you got use to a neutral speaker, their is no going back for some, and some others there is something lacking.

aperion have a generous offer to listen in home.
But spending a few hours in a store before ordering could be the best way to find out it if a sound for you

If you like what you hear from a neutral speaker in a store, then go for it.
And you will not be disappointed

If you like the forward/bright sound, then you have not waist your time and aperion for ordering and returning speakers that was not for you.

At the end, when you get use to a neutral speaker, there is no going back.
Best of luck in your search.

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7035 of 7047 Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As a owner of aperion Verus Grand, I can tell you they sound great.

First I would suggest you listen to some speakers that are also know as Neutral in a store.
Just to find out if it a sound that you can live with.

The reason I said that is the Klipsh are know to be a forward/bright speaker.
Once you got use to a neutral speaker, their is no going back for some, and some others there is something lacking.

aperion have a generous offer to listen in home.
But spending a few hours in a store before ordering could be the best way to find out it if a sound for you

If you like what you hear from a neutral speaker in a store, then go for it.
And you will not be disappointed

If you like the forward/bright sound, then you have not waist your time and aperion for ordering and returning speakers that was not for you.

At the end, when you get use to a neutral speaker, there is no going back.
Best of luck in your search.

Ray
Thanks for the reply, Ray. I do have an demo setup on Friday for some Paradigm Prestige 95F's, which based on specs, seem very similar to the Aperion's. This is what I like a about Klipsch: very wide sound stage and can play loud. I do like the detail in the highs, but I can't say that I want anything overly bright. I mostly watch movies and I listen around 10 db below reference. I want a speaker that can play loud and give me all the detail in movies, with a wide soundstage.
2liter likes this.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #7036 of 7047 Old 03-19-2015, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Ray. I do have an demo setup on Friday for some Paradigm Prestige 95F's, which based on specs, seem very similar to the Aperion's. This is what I like a about Klipsch: very wide sound stage and can play loud. I do like the detail in the highs, but I can't say that I want anything overly bright. I mostly watch movies and I listen around 10 db below reference. I want a speaker that can play loud and give me all the detail in movies, with a wide soundstage.

Those Paradigm Prestige 95F's are $5000 a pair
The aperion Verus grant towers are $2000.

But they are very similar, as both were compare to speaker costing a lot more.

I see from your signature that we have some equipment that are similar.
You got a PB13 Ultra for sub and I got 2.
We both use a power amp and use Marantz for the processing.

That said, the aperion are 92db sensitive and the Paradigm Prestige 95F's are 94 in room or 91 anechoic.
I believe the aperion are anechoic in there measurement, so both are close.

We listen to similar level, -12db for me.
So For a few last step, I would contact aperion for advise (they are very honest) and also ask in one of the Paradigm tread if they are consider to be neutral, I believe they are, just not %100 sure.

It is obvious you check stuff before making a big purchase and want the best bang for the buck.

The aperion do play loud and have lots of details with a nice soundstage (very easy to integrate with a little of tow in)
Just not, in your face and without been harsh.

I think you are a perfect candidate to try the Verus Grand tower.
By the way the finish on them is Amazing.

When I bought mine, the try in home period was 30 days, not 60.
Within a week, the box were in the recycle and the speakers were a keeper

Let us know how it turn out for you!!!

I am glad you found this tread, it should be more active since aperion make wonderful speakers for the money, just like our subs.

If you look at all my previous posts from different treads and budget, I am not bias.
Just like to give a good advise for a certain budget.

Good Luck and Happy listening.

Ray

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7037 of 7047 Old 03-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

^Thanks Ray, I appreciate all of the help. I've been doing a lot of research, looking at online reviews and searching all of the threads seeking advice, and I think I may stay with Klipsch. I'm looking at the larger RF-7 II's and RC-64 II, mainly because of the fact that they will provide the large sound that I'm looking for. The Aperions really do sound like speakers that I would really like and maybe even love, but I already know I like and love Klipsch.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #7038 of 7047 Old 03-20-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^Thanks Ray, I appreciate all of the help. I've been doing a lot of research, looking at online reviews and searching all of the threads seeking advice, and I think I may stay with Klipsch. I'm looking at the larger RF-7 II's and RC-64 II, mainly because of the fact that they will provide the large sound that I'm looking for. The Aperions really do sound like speakers that I would really like and maybe even love, but I already know I like and love Klipsch.

At the end, what matter is You to be Happy and no one else

All the best

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7039 of 7047 Old 03-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
At the end, what matter is You to be Happy and no one else

All the best

Ray
Absolutely!!! I love this hobby, but my wallet doesn't.
gpzbc and 2liter like this.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #7040 of 7047 Old 03-20-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Absolutely!!! I love this hobby, but my wallet doesn't.

Me too

This is why I choose aperion for a $2000 budget for the main.

Once step at the time I like to say

If you were to say, I think I want to try http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur.../page=overview

At this budget, I would have say to look into Revel, Dynaudio and maybe a few more!

A better speakers for the money.

Been Canadian, Paradigm is a brand to be proud of.
But in all honesty, I think they are going about reputation now a day, not like in the 80's

Just remember, audio is a word to impress yourself first and others second

Happy listening

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7041 of 7047 Old 03-21-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I pulled the trigger on the RF-7 II's and RC-64 II from Klipsch today. I really did like the way the Aspersions, and I hope to be able to hear them someday.
2liter likes this.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #7042 of 7047 Old 03-21-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger on the RF-7 II's and RC-64 II from Klipsch today. I really did like the way the Aspersions, and I hope to be able to hear them someday.
I'm glad you are happy with the Klipsch, but why wouldn't you do the no risk in home trial for the Aperion?
2liter likes this.
post #7043 of 7047 Old 03-21-2015, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzbc View Post
I'm glad you are happy with the Klipsch, but why wouldn't you do the no risk in home trial for the Aperion?
Because of the crazy deal I got on the RF-7 II's and because I know I like Klipsch.

I really did want to give the Aperions a try, but I just couldn't pass this deal up.
2liter likes this.

SVS PB13 Ultra
Marantz SR7008
Emotiva XPA-5
post #7044 of 7047 Old 03-21-2015, 01:22 PM

No, I'm glad you are happy with your sound. In the end, that is what matters. Enjoy!
2liter likes this.
post #7045 of 7047 Old 03-22-2015, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey all

I'm interested in upgrading my Aperion 7.1 Verus Grande system to Atmos. Are the L6-IC good ceiling speakers? I would do the 4-way Atmos setup.

Also, I'd like to replace the rear Verus Grande Bookshelves with Verus surrounds, for floorspace reasons, but I'm not thrilled about the poor bass response of the surrounds (which are currently my sides). Any other options?
2liter likes this.
post #7046 of 7047 Old 03-29-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I ordered them (including surrounds) so I guess I will find out.
2liter likes this.
post #7047 of 7047 Unread Today, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyxle View Post
Hey all

I'm interested in upgrading my Aperion 7.1 Verus Grande system to Atmos. Are the L6-IC good ceiling speakers? I would do the 4-way Atmos setup.

Also, I'd like to replace the rear Verus Grande Bookshelves with Verus surrounds, for floorspace reasons, but I'm not thrilled about the poor bass response of the surrounds (which are currently my sides). Any other options?

For " replace the rear Verus Grande Bookshelves with Verus surrounds"
I would not worry about the bass response, cross them higher (in your receiver) and let the subs do what they do best
If you have to replace your Verus Grand bookshelf for space reason it is a compromise that you need to make, and I very much dough that you will hear a difference in the surrounds

For the L6-IC, I cannot answer since when I go that way, I intend to go with 4 more Verus Grande Bookshelves, new A/V processor and one more Outlaw power amp.

That said, for me it is a labour of love and my only hobby and have lots of patience to get my toys
Just me, sound wise, very little if any.

Ray
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page