*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 235 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7021 of 7032 Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I wonder why there's no love for Aperion on this community. There is no active discussion like in the owner threads for other ID companies. IMO, it’s a shame.

Anyways, I was able to find a pair of used Aperion Verus Grand Towers in Cherry on Craigslist. They were in great condition with just short of two years of use, so I bought them during the weekend. I am still missing the center--which I have on order from Aperion--but wanted to give my quick take for anyone who might be researching this model.

I auditioned models from Golden Ear, Definitive Technology, Bower & Wilikins, Energy, Martin Logan, & Totem Acoustics in a couple local showrooms, including a Magnolia center. I auditioned the Aperions in the previous owner’s room and—obviously—as soon as I got them home.

In short: These towers are great and completely worth the MSRP. They also look amazing, with a WAF/SAF of 10.

In long: The Aperion Verus Grand Towers look amazing and have a sound to match their look. They offer a clear, neutral, rich sound with an incredible sound stage. They are not tiring or too forward, yet I would not describe them as laid back lazy. They sounded incredible at the previous owner’s place, powered by a new Marantz; however, they are definitely better at my place, even though my receiver is not as nice (a STR-DN1040).

After hooking them up, I turned my receiver DSPs off and played some trip hop. I started with Waldek’s Ballroom Stories. Austrian singer Zeebee is not known for glass-breaking vocals, but her sound is complex and rich, and Waldek complements it with highly musical arrangements. Wow. It was like discovering that long play all over again. Throughout the rest of the day I listened to some Esthero, Massive Attack, Chambao, Parov Stellar, Tom Waits, Nancy and Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Mongo Santamaria, Tito Puente, and Nina Simone with similar results. I wasn’t letting these speakers go.

But to stay in my main room, they have to pass one more test. Inception. As I am yet to receive the Aperion center channel, so I disconnected my current center. Holy imaging! I mean, I’d noticed it while listening to big band jazz, but I swear I could point at DiCaprio with my eyes closed. I was following gunshots parallel to the screen, left to right. I’m impressed. That level of front stage localization with no center speaker being employed, incredible.

There are some compromises but at this price-point, I think the Aperions are a great deal and surpass anything I heard from other manufacturers. They are gorgeous and sound great. I am very happy to own them.
The grills are almost impossible to remove, though.
darthray likes this.

Sony STR-DN1040
Aperion Verus Grand Tower/Center
Energy Take Classic (Presence + Surround)
Rythmik FV15HP
Energy ESW-8 (near-field)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7022 of 7032 Old 02-17-2015, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you for posting your experience.
post #7023 of 7032 Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
Here they are (it is)

Got them home last night and got the original box and socks with them! $1,400 and I think it was worth it!
(click to enlarge)

Can't wait to put them through their paces. WAF factor of 10 and she loves they way they look.

PS, sorry for the mess. Just moving in!

Welcome to the family
Are you getting the matching center?
It is down by $200, only $600 now!!!

Let us know of your impression, I sure love mine

Ray
post #7024 of 7032 Old 02-17-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherbreak View Post
I wonder why there's no love for Aperion on this community. There is no active discussion like in the owner threads for other ID companies. IMO, it’s a shame.

Anyways, I was able to find a pair of used Aperion Verus Grand Towers in Cherry on Craigslist. They were in great condition with just short of two years of use, so I bought them during the weekend. I am still missing the center--which I have on order from Aperion--but wanted to give my quick take for anyone who might be researching this model.

I auditioned models from Golden Ear, Definitive Technology, Bower & Wilikins, Energy, Martin Logan, & Totem Acoustics in a couple local showrooms, including a Magnolia center. I auditioned the Aperions in the previous owner’s room and—obviously—as soon as I got them home.

In short: These towers are great and completely worth the MSRP. They also look amazing, with a WAF/SAF of 10.

In long: The Aperion Verus Grand Towers look amazing and have a sound to match their look. They offer a clear, neutral, rich sound with an incredible sound stage. They are not tiring or too forward, yet I would not describe them as laid back lazy. They sounded incredible at the previous owner’s place, powered by a new Marantz; however, they are definitely better at my place, even though my receiver is not as nice (a STR-DN1040).

After hooking them up, I turned my receiver DSPs off and played some trip hop. I started with Waldek’s Ballroom Stories. Austrian singer Zeebee is not known for glass-breaking vocals, but her sound is complex and rich, and Waldek complements it with highly musical arrangements. Wow. It was like discovering that long play all over again. Throughout the rest of the day I listened to some Esthero, Massive Attack, Chambao, Parov Stellar, Tom Waits, Nancy and Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Mongo Santamaria, Tito Puente, and Nina Simone with similar results. I wasn’t letting these speakers go.

But to stay in my main room, they have to pass one more test. Inception. As I am yet to receive the Aperion center channel, so I disconnected my current center. Holy imaging! I mean, I’d noticed it while listening to big band jazz, but I swear I could point at DiCaprio with my eyes closed. I was following gunshots parallel to the screen, left to right. I’m impressed. That level of front stage localization with no center speaker being employed, incredible.

There are some compromises but at this price-point, I think the Aperions are a great deal and surpass anything I heard from other manufacturers. They are gorgeous and sound great. I am very happy to own them.

Thanks for the detail post

It is always good to know what they are compare too.
Like you, I think this tread should have more traffic.
But as you said "There are some compromises but at this price-point, I think the Aperions are a great deal and surpass anything I heard from other manufacturers. They are gorgeous and sound great."

If they increase the price they might loose some customer, if the price go down, then the quality might have to take a hit.
I think the price is right, but new customer are afraid to spend this type of money on a jem that is not well know.

I try to advertise them and other, depending of the budget and requirement from the OP.

I think, I did my share for a few new owner (new and used) by participate on a few treads.
But Like you said, this tread need more traffic
Also, lately there seem to be Lots of new treads for some new members that don't seem to do any homework and a tread like this one can be buried very fast.

For the few that did some homework, and have no clue.
I try to help them

Welcome to the family of aperion and Happy listening.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 02-17-2015 at 09:27 PM.
post #7025 of 7032 Old 02-17-2015, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipherbreak View Post

I tried out a pair of Forte towers and unfortunately was not impressed. They do have a very smooth tweeter,very clear. Bass response was next to nothing. I do use a sub but I like to run my towers full band from time to time. I compared them with my Energy Rc 50's and the Energy's were far better. I sent back the Fortes and will hang on to my Energy's. Very good experience with Aperion customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gpzbc and 2liter like this.

-SAMSUNG UN607150/OPPO BDP 103D
-ENERGY RC-50 FRONTS
-ENERGY RC-LCR CENTER
-ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS
-PSA XV15se
-ONKYO TX-NR3010
post #7026 of 7032 Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post
I tried out a pair of Forte towers and unfortunately was not impressed. They do have a very smooth tweeter,very clear. Bass response was next to nothing. I do use a sub but I like to run my towers full band from time to time. I compared them with my Energy Rc 50's and the Energy's were far better. I sent back the Fortes and will hang on to my Energy's. Very good experience with Aperion customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have not heard the RC-50s--or the Fortes--but I hold Energy speakers in high regard. I am not surprised to hear you prefer Energy's offering. I auditioned the CF-70 at Magnolia and found them to be really good. They did not seem out of place in the room alongside B&W and Martin Logan's priced two or three times as much. Yet, there is a substantial difference in price between the CF-70s and the Verus Grands, and it is apparent both in the complexity of the sound, build quality, and looks.

Sony STR-DN1040
Aperion Verus Grand Tower/Center
Energy Take Classic (Presence + Surround)
Rythmik FV15HP
Energy ESW-8 (near-field)
post #7027 of 7032 Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Welcome to the family
Are you getting the matching center?
It is down by $200, only $600 now!!!

Let us know of your impression, I sure love mine

Ray
I'm still working on my dedicated room so the wife and I watched GOTG yesterday with just the aperion 2.0 . These two speakers are all my wife wanted downstairs in the TV room since I got to have a dedicated room now. But after watching the movie and some tv, she even asked if I was going to get a center chanel. Might just have to get one now.

Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent.
2liter likes this.
post #7028 of 7032 Unread Yesterday, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm still working on my dedicated room so the wife and I watched GOTG yesterday with just the aperion 2.0 . These two speakers are all my wife wanted downstairs in the TV room since I got to have a dedicated room now. But after watching the movie and some tv, she even asked if I was going to get a center chanel. Might just have to get one now.

Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent.

Good to hear that you are Happy with there sound
And you went through lots of quality speakers.

For your room, sound like your better half has already give you her blessing for a center speaker
And it should be match in my honest opinion.

For the rest of the room, take your time.
Do the surround one set (if you intend to go from 5.1 to 7.1) at the time as budget permit.
None matching will work, but if you have the patience and time.
Then I would also go with the Verus (bookshelf).

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7029 of 7032 Unread Yesterday, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GOTG? cannot figure out what movie it is

also your quote "Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent" end-quote

Not sure what type of music you like, try "Enter the Sandman" from Metallica and play it loud.
Listen to the drummer, this guy really give-it hard and you feel-it

The Grand really give it to you

Ray
2liter likes this.
post #7030 of 7032 Unread Yesterday, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
GOTG? cannot figure out what movie it is

also your quote "Btw, so far love these speakers. So far all different types of music I have played on them sound decent" end-quote

Not sure what type of music you like, try "Enter the Sandman" from Metallica and play it loud.
Listen to the drummer, this guy really give-it hard and you feel-it

The Grand really give it to you

Ray
GOTG: Guardians Of The Galaxy!

AZ for music I enjoy it all. I have really come to like The Vitamin String Quartet which takes well known music and does an orchestra only version. Their violins and other instruments sound amazing on these speakers. Love what they did with Iron Maidens Run to The Hills,Tool's Sober and Guns & Roses Welcome To The Jungle. Awesome stuff
darthray and 2liter like this.
post #7031 of 7032 Unread Today, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need advice. I am building a new house and currently have an Aperion center channel speaker with four speakercraft ceiling speakers and an Integra receiver and Polk PSW110 subwoofer.

Question:

I have a listening area of 14X14X9 ft ceiling. I visited the Aperion web site and see that they have the L6-IC speakers for ceiling mounting. I would buy five since I cannot use my existing center channel. I am also interested in their Bravos 8 inch subwoofer.

1. Has anyone used any of these speakers?

2. Is the 6 inch ceiling speaker big enough to sound good?

3. I had been looking at the HTD 8 inch Ceiling speakers. Seems to have e good reviews.

4. Also looking at the SVS SB1000 subwoofer. Has anyone bough the 8 inch Apron subwoofer?

Thanks
post #7032 of 7032 Unread Today, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
GOTG: Guardians Of The Galaxy!

AZ for music I enjoy it all. I have really come to like The Vitamin String Quartet which takes well known music and does an orchestra only version. Their violins and other instruments sound amazing on these speakers. Love what they did with Iron Maidens Run to The Hills,Tool's Sober and Guns & Roses Welcome To The Jungle. Awesome stuff

Dow! I should have figure this one.

It is good for all of us that you have such a variety of music.
Personally I am hard rock person.

That said, the first thing I listen to my Verus Grand were a different selections of:
Female voice
Stuff with piano and
Plain old string guitar to test them.

There was one song from Supertramp that could tell, the lead singer was singing through a microphone.
I don't remember the song since it was a while ago, also hard to describe, just a very subtle little sound, like someone having a drag from a cigarette (very faint, but it is there).

At the end, even if I am a hard rock person.
I know what to listen to other stuff to find out if a speaker can produce all the little nuance in the recording.

Thanks for your impression
You went through a big variety of different music and it show that a good speaker is just that, not design for one particular type

Happy listening

Ray
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page