*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 243 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 261Likes

post #7261 of 7292 Old 02-01-2016, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
How is Aperion coloring their speakers black in the states? I thought they do all of their finish work in China where they manufacture?

It's a shame that he cherry speakers didn't come out correctly. The main reason i even started looking at them is the their finish quality and their wood veneers.

Has anyone heard of philharmonic? I've been reading great things about their slim towers. How do they compare to the VG or VG2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I dough very much, the finishing got re-done in the States.
A black gloss demand lots of work to be done properly, and cannot be done over a veneer.

More than likely, after the Cherry failed quality control.
Aperion told the manufacture to start over and do them in black gloss, to get production going until they figure out the problem, with the Cherry veneer finish.

The Phil are very well regarded.
For music hard to beat, but will not have the slam has the Aperion for movie.
Many treads to read if you intend to go that way.

Ray
I didn't ask Aperion for details, but I suspect you are both right that they didn't receive then decide to refinish the speakers here in the US. As for how they refinished them from Cherry to Black, no idea. Perhaps I misunderstood the guy on the phone. Don't think so, but possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7262 of 7292 Old 02-18-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
When, I first had my sub, I was a little bit of a Bass Head
At first, I was like +3-4 Db, after a little while, I found the bass to be overwhelming.
So, I started to back off the bass, one Db at the time.
Then tried 0 gain, then back to +1, and tried back and forth a few time.
My preference turn out to be +1 (+1.5 but for some movie, it is too much, so I settle to +1), just that little extra oomph to the sound.

Glad that I bought my Verus Grand when I did.
It was $5000 then (shipping and brokage).
I cannot imaging how much it would cost me now

My PB13Ultra (x2) cost me $2000ea
Now $2800ea
http://www.sonicboomaudio.com/box-su...eelvhdnd9dais4

Ray
Your subs are wicked. I am sure I will love my Outlaws once I get my speakers but they are not in the same league as yours.
post #7263 of 7292 Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHarmonson View Post
*sigh*

Finished the man cave remodel two weeks ago and deployed an AV stand, the dogs (pair of Outlaw Ultra-X12 subs), and a Denon X4000 last weekend. Now just biding my time for the Verus II Grands. Hopefully they will ship soon.
Woot!

My speakers shipped this evening and are due to arrive in two days.

Not to be a repeat, but I would love for suggestions on music to listen with my new speakers. No! I am not asking suggestions to pirate. I have a Dimple Records a mile away. I lose hours and hours exploring their CDs. Picked up "Dock of the Bay." Nice if a bit scratchy. Remastered but the original recordings from 1967 were far from the standards of today.
post #7264 of 7292 Old 02-18-2016, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 156
*** The Official APERION Thread ***

I asked same months ago.. Many mentioned Dire Straits & Steely Dan music are good choices
ManBarra likes this.
post #7265 of 7292 Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Your subs are wicked. I am sure I will love my Outlaws once I get my speakers but they are not in the same league as yours.

Nothing wrong with yours and enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I asked same months ago.. Many mentioned Dire Straits & Steely Dan music are good choices

Dire Straits, Brother in arm, Money for nothing.
Metallica, Enter the Sand man (the drum really hit your chest when crank-up), and Nothing else matter.

Ray
post #7266 of 7292 Old 02-19-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Quote:
Dire Straits, Brother in arm, Money for nothing.
Metallica, Enter the Sand man (the drum really hit your chest when crank-up), and Nothing else matter.
Thank you!
post #7267 of 7292 Old 02-20-2016, 07:04 PM

I received my Verus II Grands today. Pretty damn happy, however, the speaker spike pads are absolute garbage. I remember an owner stating to purchase spikes to replace the Aperion ones. Wish I had listened. I would have avoided having the speaker spike pad's adhesive sliding off the pad's rubber foot and punching two holes into my wood floors. *mad*

See the URL below to see my meaning.

Ordered two units of the Dayton Audio spikes and pads. I have used them for numerous sub-woofer projects without issue.

Impression so far is that the speakers are great. The Outlaw Ultra-X12 subs have to be restrained quite a bit due to their shear power. I have the volume reduced to less than 1/4 of their capability.

I only have a few hours of listening time, but looking forward to breaking them in and rocking out.

http://cdn.head-fi.org/2/2c/2c5f2a93...pads-1080.jpeg
gpzbc likes this.

Last edited by RHarmonson; 02-20-2016 at 07:25 PM.
post #7268 of 7292 Old 02-22-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I received my Verus II Grands today. Pretty damn happy, however, the speaker spike pads are absolute garbage. I remember an owner stating to purchase spikes to replace the Aperion ones. Wish I had listened. I would have avoided having the speaker spike pad's adhesive sliding off the pad's rubber foot and punching two holes into my wood floors. *mad*

See the URL below to see my meaning.

Ordered two units of the Dayton Audio spikes and pads. I have used them for numerous sub-woofer projects without issue.
I spoke to Steve at Aperion today. The were aware of the challenges with the spike pads and the April shipment of Grand speakers will ship with different ones. Aperion is going to ship me different spike pads until they have spare parts to ship me the new spikes and pads. 2 out 8 of the spikes were bent as a result of the adventure.

Update 2/25/2016
Received the temporary spikes and pads. The thread is indeed too long--Steve had stated as such but I failed to mention above, but clearly from the same manufacturer. However, the new spikes are thicker and heavier with wider spike pads (20 mm?). Per Steve, the April shipment will ship with these spike but the threads will be shortened.

Excellent customer service. Very responsive.

BTW: Dayton 6 mm spikes do not fit the speakers. Nuts!

Last edited by RHarmonson; 02-25-2016 at 09:33 PM.
post #7269 of 7292 Old 02-27-2016, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Both my sets of pads from the verus one and two were bad. Just like like the pic above. I ended up putting them on top of two small felt furniture pads stacked which works fine and looks ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7270 of 7292 Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Both my sets of pads from the verus one and two were bad. Just like like the pic above. I ended up putting them on top of two small felt furniture pads stacked which works fine and looks ok.

Good suggestion. Thank you.
post #7271 of 7292 Old 02-27-2016, 12:01 PM

I am unhappy with the Dennon Audyssy auto-config. I probably did something wrong. So I decided to setup manually. I am using the receivers crossover and jacked into the subs external cross-over.

Do you set the Verus II Grand Towers as small or large speakers when used with a subwoofer? It seemed that the subwoofers were not being utilized when set to large.
What crossover setting do you advise for the fronts? Options are 40 to 250.

I read the manuals, but I want your recommendations.

Thank you,

Richard

Last edited by RHarmonson; 02-27-2016 at 12:40 PM.
post #7272 of 7292 Old 02-27-2016, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I would set it to small and set the xover to 80 Hz
post #7273 of 7292 Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Thank you!

Using those settings, I observed an immediate improvement.
darthray likes this.
post #7274 of 7292 Old 03-13-2016, 07:10 PM

Has anyone heard the philharmonic slim towers or the Salk song towers? And how do they compare to our verus grand or verus grand 2?

post #7275 of 7292 Old 03-17-2016, 06:39 PM

*** The Official APERION Thread ***

Quote:
I spoke to Steve at Aperion today. The were aware of the challenges with the spike pads and the April shipment of Grand speakers will ship with different ones. Aperion is going to ship me different spike pads until they have spare parts to ship me the new spikes and pads. 2 out 8 of the spikes were bent as a result of the adventure.

Update 2/25/2016
Received the temporary spikes and pads. The thread is indeed too long--Steve had stated as such but I failed to mention above, but clearly from the same manufacturer. However, the new spikes are thicker and heavier with wider spike pads (20 mm?). Per Steve, the April shipment will ship with these spike but the threads will be shortened.

Excellent customer service. Very responsive.

BTW: Dayton 6 mm spikes do not fit the speakers. Nuts!

I got some speaker pads today from eBay. All brass. Easy to move the speaker around if needed. They are solid brass so you might have to adjust your speaker spikes to make full contact if your floor isn't level. Best of all...about $13 with shipping for all 8.

http://r.ebay.com/sZCpnV

RHarmonson, jb-rox and ManBarra like this.

Last edited by Newbie789; 03-17-2016 at 06:45 PM.
post #7276 of 7292 Old 03-17-2016, 07:40 PM

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.
Newbie789 likes this.
post #7277 of 7292 Old 03-18-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Has anyone seen any reviews on the Verus II's yet?
post #7278 of 7292 Old 03-18-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-rox View Post
Has anyone seen any reviews on the Verus II's yet?

Not yet.

post #7279 of 7292 Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Has anyone heard the philharmonic slim towers or the Salk song towers? And how do they compare to our verus grand or verus grand 2?

I had songtowers and loved them. Had to sell them due to a move. My best friend heard them and decided to get some nice speakers for himself but had a $1000 budget. We live in Portland, and I work a few blocks from Aperions office/HQ where they have a couple of sound rooms set up. I've listened to most of their speakers. I think they're all great and I owned a pair of B4 satellites for a while.

I'm mentioning my friend because he couldn't afford songtowers, but we found a pair of Verus Grands available locally for $1000. He wound up purchasing them and is very happy. We never listened to them side-by-side but I have listened to his using a Marantz receiver. They sound very good. They're very clean and dynamic sounding. However, I think the songtowers are much better. They image better, have more detail, and while they don't go quite as deep as the Verus Grands, the bass is more articulate and natural sounding. I think if you're going to watch more movies/tv/gaming the Aperions are great. The songtowers are great for that as well, but also better for music IMO. If you're looking at buying either new and each costs $2k, I would pick the songtowers.

I've never been able to listen to the slims, but I am interested in those as well. If I had around $2k to spend on speakers, and had the space, the slims would be at the top of my list, along with supercharged songtowers.
post #7280 of 7292 Old 03-18-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
I had songtowers and loved them. Had to sell them due to a move. My best friend heard them and decided to get some nice speakers for himself but had a $1000 budget. We live in Portland, and I work a few blocks from Aperions office/HQ where they have a couple of sound rooms set up. I've listened to most of their speakers. I think they're all great and I owned a pair of B4 satellites for a while.

I'm mentioning my friend because he couldn't afford songtowers, but we found a pair of Verus Grands available locally for $1000. He wound up purchasing them and is very happy. We never listened to them side-by-side but I have listened to his using a Marantz receiver. They sound very good. They're very clean and dynamic sounding. However, I think the songtowers are much better. They image better, have more detail, and while they don't go quite as deep as the Verus Grands, the bass is more articulate and natural sounding. I think if you're going to watch more movies/tv/gaming the Aperions are great. The songtowers are great for that as well, but also better for music IMO. If you're looking at buying either new and each costs $2k, I would pick the songtowers.

I've never been able to listen to the slims, but I am interested in those as well. If I had around $2k to spend on speakers, and had the space, the slims would be at the top of my list, along with supercharged songtowers.

From what I understand the songs and slims have the same woofers but the songs have a dome tweeter with a specialized raal ribbon tweeter upgrade. The slims come with the regular raal ribbon.

Have you heard the verus 2 grand?

post #7281 of 7292 Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am unhappy with the Dennon Audyssy auto-config. I probably did something wrong. So I decided to setup manually. I am using the receivers crossover and jacked into the subs external cross-over.

Do you set the Verus II Grand Towers as small or large speakers when used with a subwoofer? It seemed that the subwoofers were not being utilized when set to large.

I read the manuals, but I want your recommendations.

Thank you,

Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
Quote:
Thank you!

Using those settings, I observed an immediate improvement.

That's because Audyssy always set your main to large, if they can achieve it, but when using a sub, it is always better to set them to small (in most case, there is some exception).

Ray
post #7282 of 7292 Old 03-18-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post

Maybe

But sound of a speaker is a very subjective point of view of someone preference, of what type of sound they prefer.
Some swear by some brand, that I could not listen.
This what make this Hobby fun

And Thank you for your opinions and participated in this forum.

Ray
abd1 and Newbie789 like this.
post #7283 of 7292 Old 03-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
From what I understand the songs and slims have the same woofers but the songs have a dome tweeter with a specialized raal ribbon tweeter upgrade. The slims come with the regular raal ribbon.

Have you heard the verus 2 grand?
I haven't heard the Verus 2 Grand, but I'm sure it sounds great. I didn't have any issues with the tweeter on the original, so not sure what the new tweeter will add.

The songtowers are actually quite different than the Philharmonic Slims. The Songtowers are a 2-way design, with mid-tweeter-mid arrangement and dome tweeter (an excellent one). The Slims are a 3-way speaker with the RAAL ribbon and aluminum drivers. The Slims also has a open cavity behind the midrange driver that you can leave open or add dampening material (included) to alter the soundstage. The Slims are also less efficient than the Songtowers so you'd want more amplification power for them. I'd love to be able to hear them sometime.
darthray and Newbie789 like this.
post #7284 of 7292 Old 03-20-2016, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Set the fronts to small and experiment with the cross over. I have a pair of SVS subs yet I still prefer the crossover set to 60.
darthray likes this.

Doug

TV Room Upgrade Completed

post #7285 of 7292 Old 03-20-2016, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've been off and on the forum, but just a comment that the Verus Grand speakers (two towers, center channel, and 4x bookshelves for surrounds) have been outstanding since I bought them in 2012. Running great, looking terrific, and providing rich, powerful, realistic sound in my family room. Garners comments from all my guests, both on appearance and sound quality.
darthray and ManBarra like this.

post #7286 of 7292 Old 03-22-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougReim View Post
Set the fronts to small and experiment with the cross over. I have a pair of SVS subs yet I still prefer the crossover set to 60.

A very good point
Lot's of people are happy with the 60Hz crossover setting, just not the best for my application after a few test and my personal preference for my listening volume

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnewquist View Post
I've been off and on the forum, but just a comment that the Verus Grand speakers (two towers, center channel, and 4x bookshelves for surrounds) have been outstanding since I bought them in 2012. Running great, looking terrific, and providing rich, powerful, realistic sound in my family room. Garners comments from all my guests, both on appearance and sound quality.

Big +1 on;
"Verus Grand speakers (two towers, center channel, and 4x bookshelves for surrounds)"

I got the same set-up and Love the how it sound

Ray
post #7287 of 7292 Old 03-22-2016, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
A very good point
Lot's of people are happy with the 60Hz crossover setting, just not the best for my application after a few test and my personal preference for my listening volume

Big +1 on;
"Verus Grand speakers (two towers, center channel, and 4x bookshelves for surrounds)"

I got the same set-up and Love the how it sound

Ray
delete

Last edited by mingus; 03-22-2016 at 01:55 PM. Reason: quote by mistake
post #7288 of 7292 Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Can anyone give me and idea of basic sonic signature of the Allaire? I prefer a lot of sparkle in the highs usually. currently I have Emotiva Airmotiv 5 that I like a lot, except they will not work with 220V where I am moving. they are not real bright, but i like way the highs sound, and also the bass is nice for what it is.

I do like the idea of sub-out just in case i wanted to go that route in the future.

Thanks
post #7289 of 7292 Old 03-22-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
delete
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingus View Post
Can anyone give me and idea of basic sonic signature of the Allaire? I prefer a lot of sparkle in the highs usually. currently I have Emotiva Airmotiv 5 that I like a lot, except they will not work with 220V where I am moving. they are not real bright, but i like way the highs sound, and also the bass is nice for what it is.

I do like the idea of sub-out just in case i wanted to go that route in the future.

Thanks

No clue!!!

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/wireless-108
http://www.audioholics.com/computer-...etooth-speaker
http://hometheaterreview.com/aperion...stem-reviewed/

But here's a few link for you and others, it might help to know what you are asking about
If it is the wrong speakers, quote me, so I know to remove them.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 03-22-2016 at 05:20 PM.
post #7290 of 7292 Old 03-29-2016, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you!
Dark Side of the Moon is great because of the dynamics.
darthray and gpzbc like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page