Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 6983 Old 02-25-2008, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 View Post

$$$ tell me about it. I have my order in, the news on the street is they changed the look of the speakers... a little softer and more rounded. We will see the website updated hopefully by this Friday! If I don't care for the new look I might stay with what I have.

What do you folks think about the new woofer line? I dig them... but pricey they are!

Well, I have the 12" dual ordered along with the rest of my 5.1 setup. My order is on hold, as they do not have the wall mounts in yet. I cannot take the speakers unless they can go right up on the walls (WAF). That is what I am doing with my $200 in free accessories, along with the sub cable. I know I could get a better price on accessories, but they are "free". They expect the mounts in next Friday, so I am going to arrange delivery the following Friday. I point blank told the guy that this is Epik Castle money (or dual AV123), and the sub better be great. We shall see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post

I point blank told the guy that this is Epik Castle money (or dual AV123), and the sub better be great. We shall see.

No way is it going to hang with those bad boys. But if it can do a respectable job with the small form factor and high WAF, it'll find a ready market.

post #723 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 07:30 AM

Hey, thanks for that Hopstretch!
Yeah, if the sub does a great job, I will never know the difference. I have never heard an Epik or a AV123.
WAF has steered me away from the bigger ones.
post #724 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopstretch View Post

No way is it going to hang with those bad boys. But if it can do a respectable job with the small form factor and high WAF, it'll find a ready market.

I agree; However, the technologies are different. Ported vs sealed are different, and ported vs isobaric are different. each one has its own volume (size) specs. Not an expert but have built a sealed, a ported and an isobaric enclosure before. All car crap when I was a youngin

check it:
http://www.musicanddesign.com/Isobaric.html

Stagflation?? No effect!!
post #725 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 AM

Grain of salt time:

The result is that the coupled driver pair (iso-group) can now produce the same frequency response in half the box volume that a single driver of the same type would require. For example, if a speaker is optimized for performance in a 40 litre enclosure, one iso-group of the same speakers can achieve the same low frequency extension and overall response characteristics in a 20 litre enclosure. Stated alternatively, an isobaric array mounted in a box of the same volume as a single driver will produce half an octave more of bass extension.

taken from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_speakers

post #726 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM

After reading my last two posts, this crap is starting to sound pretty good. I think Aperion should give me a free one!!!

post #727 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameredith View Post

I agree; However, the technologies are different. Ported vs sealed are different, and ported vs isobaric are different. each one has its own volume (size) specs.

And I agree with you. I think the real head-to-head will be the Bravus dual 12" versus the Epik Valor, which is a sealed single 15" at $550. Still a lot bigger, a whole lot uglier, but a very good performer and exactly half the price.
post #728 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 AM

It gets even deeper. I just remembered they have a 1 year upgrade policy on our speakers. It goes on....
post #729 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

They have an out on the upgrade. It does not cover subs, and does not cover revisions which Aperion considers its new speakers.

http://www.aperionaudio.com/TradeUp.aspx
post #730 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM

I just spoke with a customer service rep.

The new 5T model should be available in early March (first two weeks). The drivers are manufactured in China (like the current models), but will offer more bass and are new material.

The 6T model will be available in about two months.

The cabinet will basically be the same except for the corners are now rounded and the base has slightly changed. Piano black and cherry are the only available colors.

The 5T will be priced at $499 and $349 for the center.

The 6T will priced at $699 and $599 for the center channel.

The new models sound A LOT better (according to the CS rep).
post #731 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb53 View Post

They have an out on the upgrade. It does not cover subs, and does not cover revisions which Aperion considers its new speakers.

I specifically asked about this and you will not be able to trade the existing 533-Ts up to the new 5Ts. They are taking the position that it is a revision rather than an entirely new model. If you have the 532s you can, as you are moving up from a bookshelf to a tower.

As mentioned above, the 5T has a new cabinet, new tweeter and new woven fiberglass woofers.
post #732 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 01:56 PM

With all the new 7.1 BD like 7:10 to Yuma I am startin to feel like I am missing out with my 5.1 532 Cinnema. Do you think I can get away with placing a couple of in walls behind the couch? Anyone esle running something similar with the couch up agains the wall... and would you do it again? Thanks!
[IMG]c:\\desktop/PICT0056[/IMG]
post #733 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 PM

shoot, was not able to post a pic... Can I e-mail it to someone and have them post it for me?
post #734 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun916 View Post

shoot, was not able to post a pic... Can I e-mail it to someone and have them post it for me?

Just upload the picture to www.imageshack.us and paste the image link into your post here. But if your couch is right back against the wall, the consensus seems to be you won't get a lot out of 7.1.
post #735 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM

Question from a new owner..

How long did it take Aperion to ship out your speakers after you ordered them???
post #736 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar852 View Post

Question from a new owner..

How long did it take Aperion to ship out your speakers after you ordered them???

I ordered mine last Sunday night and they shipped Monday afternoon.

Ryan
post #737 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red gonzo View Post

I ordered mine last Sunday night and they shipped Monday afternoon.

Ryan

Do you mean the Sunday the 24th? Or the previous Sunday the 17th?

I ordered mine the 22nd and they still haven't shipped yet.. the 26th..
post #738 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Hey all...

Be sure to check out the new Bravus Microsite that we just launched:

http://www.aperionaudio.com/microsit...microsite.html

Stay tuned! Much more to come...

David Bolt
Home Theater Guru
http://www.aperionaudio.com
post #739 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus916 View Post

Hey all...

blah you beat me to it! but yeah, not too shabby of a site. Not a huge fan of techno but that song is catchy to me for some reason.
post #740 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:

you beat me to it! but yeah, not too shabby of a site. Not a huge fan of techno but that song is catchy to me for some reason.

It's because that beautiful subwoofer is staring you down while you listen.
post #741 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Just upload the picture to www.imageshack.us and paste the image link into your post here. But if your couch is right back against the wall, the consensus seems to be you won't get a lot out of 7.1.

Ok thank... so here is my setup: http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0056jt0.jpg

I moved the side surrounds up from the back wall, and I am not opposed to moving the painting higher to accomodate the in-walls.

What do you think, I am completely wasting money by getting the aperion in-walls? I want to hear the lossless 7.1 codecs on my new BD disks
post #742 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus916 View Post

Hey all...

That sub is sweet! I am thinking about ditching my S-10!!!
post #743 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:

And I agree with you. I think the real head-to-head will be the Bravus dual 12" versus the Epik Valor, which is a sealed single 15" at $550. Still a lot bigger, a whole lot uglier, but a very good performer and exactly half the price.

Interesting...but given the price points, wouldn't it be more appropriate to compare it to the Castle? The Castle is $999 if I remember + you pay shipping. With the Aperion, shipping is included. The Aperion is $1099 delivered + they pay return shipping if you don't like it. I don't recall Epik offering that when I was considering them.
post #744 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 PM

AVS/Aperion Newbie here, please don't flame.

I am looking to upgrade my HT system (10 year old Bose) with an Aperion system. I've done a fair amount of research, but I still have some questions, and wondering if the community could help me out.

The room I'm going to install in is a fairly large grand room -- 4,600 cubic feet, and the TV/speakers will probably be put on built-in cabinets on the front wall. The Aperion wizard recommends the following: 532-LRs for the bookshelves, 533-VAC for the center, 632-IC for in-ceiling surrounds, and the S-12 for subwoofer. My questions:

1. I'm a bit surprised that, given the size of the room, that the wizard isn't recommending the bigger bookshelves (632s) and the bigger center channel (634-VAC). Does anyone have a comparable room, and do the 532/533s fill the room sufficiently? Or should I upgrade?

2. My research indicates that the HSU VTF-3 MK3 subwoofer is better. Has anyone tried mixing in the HSU with a primarily Aperion system?

3. Given the (mostly) Aperion system, can anyone recommend a good bang-for-buck receiver to drive these speakers? I've got a PS3, so I need the amp to do 7.1, PCM, and take in either HDMI or optical input. I'm thinking either the Denon AVR-2808CI or Denon AVR-988 -- not sure what the difference between these 2 are. Haven't done as much research on receivers, so any advice welcome.

4. Should I bother with pro install, or DIY? My house is going to be renovated (adding a second story), so should be (?) pretty easy to install.

Thanks,
BR
post #745 of 6983 Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanrusty View Post

AVS/Aperion Newbie here, please don't flame.

I am looking to upgrade my HT system (10 year old Bose) with an Aperion system. I've done a fair amount of research, but I still have some questions, and wondering if the community could help me out.

The room I'm going to install in is a fairly large grand room -- 4,600 cubic feet, and the TV/speakers will probably be put on built-in cabinets on the front wall. The Aperion wizard recommends the following: 532-LRs for the bookshelves, 533-VAC for the center, 632-IC for in-ceiling surrounds, and the S-12 for subwoofer. My questions:

1. I'm a bit surprised that, given the size of the room, that the wizard isn't recommending the bigger bookshelves (632s) and the bigger center channel (634-VAC). Does anyone have a comparable room, and do the 532/533s fill the room sufficiently? Or should I upgrade?

2. My research indicates that the HSU VTF-3 MK3 subwoofer is better. Has anyone tried mixing in the HSU with a primarily Aperion system?

3. Given the (mostly) Aperion system, can anyone recommend a good bang-for-buck receiver to drive these speakers? I've got a PS3, so I need the amp to do 7.1, PCM, and take in either HDMI or optical input. I'm thinking either the Denon AVR-2808CI or Denon AVR-988 -- not sure what the difference between these 2 are. Haven't done as much research on receivers, so any advice welcome.

4. Should I bother with pro install, or DIY? My house is going to be renovated (adding a second story), so should be (?) pretty easy to install.

Thanks,
BR

Aperion has a new speaker line coming soon - wait for the complete introduction before you decide, if you are firm on Aperion. If you do buy something now, definitely go with at least the 632LR and the 634-VAC given the space you are trying to fill. Don't think you can buy the old subwoofers now so check out their new Bravus line of subs. If you are going the receiver route, also consider the Onkyo TX-SR805. There's one opinion for you - hope it helps.
post #746 of 6983 Old 02-27-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbonking View Post

Aperion has a new speaker line coming soon - wait for the complete introduction before you decide, if you are firm on Aperion. If you do buy something now, definitely go with at least the 632LR and the 634-VAC given the space you are trying to fill. Don't think you can buy the old subwoofers now so check out their new Bravus line of subs. If you are going the receiver route, also consider the Onkyo TX-SR805. There's one opinion for you - hope it helps.

I concur with everything said here. One thing about the 634VAC...it is one big mutha. Spec it out and make sure you have room. I could not make that one work. The new speakers should be up by the end of the week they tell me. Expect to pay about 250 more for your 5 speakers if you go with the new line.
There are some of the old subs, in some finishes. Not all..so you would have to check. The new sub line looks awfully good. I am going with the dual 12.
The 805 is the best bang for the buck receiver out there. Spec wise, it compares to the Denon 2808 you are looking at. It is much less expensive.
One thing about the Onkyo...you must have plenty of air space around it. It gets crazy hot!
post #747 of 6983 Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 AM

Would I dare mix the larger bookshelves (632LR) with the smaller center channel (533-VAC). Or will things get all fubar?

BTW, thanks for all the advice, very helpful. Don't all receivers get pretty hot?
post #748 of 6983 Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanrusty View Post

Would I dare mix the larger bookshelves (632LR) with the smaller center channel (533-VAC). Or will things get all fubar?

BTW, thanks for all the advice, very helpful. Don't all receivers get pretty hot?

You can mix the 6s and 5s, as they are voiced the same. Yes, most receivers do get a little warm under load, but the 805 gets really hot. Check the owner's thread over in the Amps/Receivers section of the forum.
post #749 of 6983 Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM

Hi,

I would first like to thank everyone for their interest in our new products. We have the world's greatest customers and the fact that you are so passionate about your speaker choices makes us feel honored to have you as our customers.

Second, I would like to apologize for the lack of information regarding the new products. This is a good news, bad news story. It has always been our intention for there to be at least a 30 day overlap in product availability between the classic Intimus and the new Intimus products. Most of our customers have a 30 day buying cycle. So, if you are considering an Aperion purchase, this 30 day overlap would give you enough time to make an informed decision between the old and new products because they would both be available. It would also accommodate those of you in your 30 day trial period.

The good news is that January 2008 was our biggest month in history. The bad news is that January 2008 was our biggest month in history. We completely blew our sales forecast out of the water and as a result we are running out of some products (533-T in black) 30 - 60 days in advance of our plan. So now you know why we are announcing some products early. We are working as fast as possible to get information out on the new products but some of them are not even in production yet.

I would like to clear up a bit of speculation about some new products and pricing. First, let's start with the subs. Our Intimus subs represent a great value and offer great performance for the money. The current Intimus sub design has been with us since we sold our first speaker in 2000. Technology has come a long way in the last 8 years and our sub line has been due for an upgrade. The new Bravus line is the result of a combination of feedback from our customers and our research of the market. These new subs are amazing performers and will stack up with subs that are upwards of twice the price. Size is a huge issue when it comes to subs so this was a key area of focus for us. We went with a small sealed enclosure with 2 side firing woofers. Smaller dual drivers move as much air as a single larger driver but take up less space. Since the cabinet is small and sealed, you lose some efficiency so we employed BASH technology. BASH amps offer the sonic quality of a class AB amp with the efficiency of class D digital technology and they allow advanced features like parametric EQ, crossover bypass and remote control.

We wanted these subs to be easy to set up, adjust and operate so we included a user interface and digital readout on the front of the sub along with a remote control so you can make adjustments from your listening position. This allows you to optimize your sub from the comfort of your couch and you don't need a helper to get it dialed in just right.

Yes, the subs are more expensive but the dual 8 sub offers similar performance to a single 10 along with a host of other features and it is priced exactly the same as the Intimus S-10 at $499.

Now on to the Intimus redesign. The entire range of Intimus products have been revoiced and redesigned. New Intimus speakers feature new woven fiberglass woofers, an amazing new silk dome tweeter, a new crossover and softer rounded vertical edges on the cabinets. This upgrade is an evolution of the product line that has been in the works for the last 8 years. Throughout our history, we have made constant upgrades to our products. Starting with the 502D, 512D, 522, 532 and now the 5B and we have never once raised our prices in 8 years.

Since many of our products have been added over time, they were designed to match the existing products. By redesigning the entire Intimus family at once, we had the opportunity to revoice all the speakers at the same time. The end result is that we have an entire line of speakers that all sound amazing for both music and movies. Some of our classic Intimus speakers used to be better for music and some were better for movies. This is no longer the case. All of our speakers work well for both so the only consideration you need to make is size and budget.

Many of you are concerned about the price increases. Rest assured we have not forgotten what got us where we are today. We still offer the best value. What we have done is upgraded the performance across the board. All of our products have won numerous awards for quality & value. Our 6-series products have been the most well reviewed and are customer favorites. So, we started with the 6-series speakers and improved them even more. The tweeter we have been using for the last several years is a good tweeter but it does have one minor weakness. If you like to listen to rock music really loud, it sometimes struggles to keep up. We are talking really loud levels here so this really isn't a problem for the majority of our customers. But we strive to make 100% of our customers happy so we designed a new custom silk dome tweeter that matches the quality of the rest of the speaker. The improvements are not only found on the high end but midrange performance is substantially better.

With a new tweeter, the 6-series products are world class and we determined that the other products in the line should follow suit. So, woven cone fiberglass woofers and the same new 1 silk dome tweeter have found homes in our 4 and 5 series products. These are major performance upgrades for these products. 5 series speakers are on par with previous 6 series and 4 series rank right up there with the old 5 series products. Individually the products are more expensive but the product quality has been significantly upgraded.

So, here is the brief rundown of the new products and their prices.

Subwoofers: (Available Now)
Intimus subwoofers are being replaced by Bravus subwoofers.
8D - dual 8 ($499)
10D - dual 10 ($799)
12D - dual 12 ($1,099)

Intimus 4-Series (Available April)
422-LR replaced by the 4B ($130)
422-C replaced by the 4C ($160)

Intimus 5-Series (Available early March)
532-LR replaced by 5B ($225)
534-SS replaced by 5DB ($345)
533-VAC replaced by 5C ($350)
533-T replaced by 5T ($495)

Intimus 6-Series (Available April)
632-LR replaced by 6B ($345)
634-VAC replaced by 6C ($590)
633-T replaced by 6T ($695)

So, for those of you that are concerned about the new higher prices you have a couple options. First, place your order for our current line of award-winning Intimus speakers while you can still get them. They represent an amazing value and will satisfy you for years to come. Option number two is to consider stepping down one size. You might even save a few bucks and make the wife happy with smaller speakers and a smaller budget.

Lastly, I would like to address the trade-up issue. When the trade up program was launched, we didn't have a full line of speakers. The trade up program was designed for people who purchased bookshelf speakers but wanted towers and couldn't get them because they were too expensive or didn't exist. Product revisions and price increases were never intended to be part of the trade-up program. This is a very generous program that is unmatched by any of our competitors (that we are aware of). Ultimately, we want happy customers so if you purchased recently and inquired about new products before our guys were given the green light to talk about them, then give us a call and we will work something out.

Thank you for supporting Aperion Audio and as always, stay tuned to our website for the latest information on new products. There is more news to come in the weeks and months ahead!

John Wanderscheid
VP of Marketing Communications
Aperion Audio
www.aperionaudio.com
post #750 of 6983 Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman View Post

Option number two is to consider stepping down one size. You might even save a few bucks and make the wife happy with smaller speakers and a smaller budget.

Probably true, but i was already at the edge of my budget and i don't want smaller
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page