*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 6970 Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Member
 
pschwartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks beta5alphamu, I'll give Aperion a shout.
pschwartz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 6970 Old 02-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Member
 
Affordable$Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the opportunity to review the 533PT's and the 632's. The 533PT's are more for home theater, while the 632 monitors are more for two channel music, IMHO. Both exhibit the Aperion trait of being very even across the sound spectrum, it's almost deceiving.

To give you an idea at their headquarters the listening room is powered by a Parasound Halo, which fits in with my thought that Aperions matchup well with SS units. A solid 100+ hours of break-in makes a big difference.

i will also say that Aperion is a fine company to deal with and they really stand behind their product and warranty.
Affordable$Audio is offline  
post #93 of 6970 Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Member
 
gonzo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if somebody decides to return the speakers during the 30 day trial, what does Aperion do with the returns? Do they resell them as new? Do they sell them at a reduced price?
gonzo99 is offline  
post #94 of 6970 Old 02-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Member
 
Affordable$Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They have a warehouse sale once a year for Portland locals to pick up some great buys. From time to time I know they have sold some RTA's at a discount on eBay.
Affordable$Audio is offline  
post #95 of 6970 Old 02-23-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mchuckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After all my research, I've feel like I'm sold on Aperion speakers. I'm planning on going with 633 floorstanders for left and right 533VAC for Center and 422's for the rears. Then purchase a sub from HSU. I'm using an Onkyo receiver. don't recall the model but it was around $1000 earlier this year. My old speakers were JBL Northridge series.

Before I pull the trigger, just wanted to get a few comments from owners. From what I've read, it is my impression that Aperions come off as warm and full in all ranges. Particularly the 633 floorstanders. I also get the impression that they have a very natural sound and are very impressive for very good recordings and thus not very forgiving in poor recordings.

Are these comments close to accurate? Any better way to describe Aperion's sound? Particularly the speakers I'm looking at getting?

Unless I find something else, I will probably be pulling the trigger next week on the 3 fronts. Then follow it up in a few months for the rears.

Thanks,
Mike
mchuckp is offline  
post #96 of 6970 Old 02-23-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affordable$Audio View Post

They have a warehouse sale once a year for Portland locals to pick up some great buys. From time to time I know they have sold some RTA's at a discount on eBay.

They have some on ebay with free shipping

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #97 of 6970 Old 02-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Member
 
avnur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think this thread is great. And Aperion's guarantee is wonderful too. So I logged on and bougt:

532-LR pair
632-IC pair
533-VAC

Seems that gloss black is the way to go.

I made these choices because Aperion has such a nice upgrade policy (saw that here and didn't actually find it on their web site). I'm curious what I'll upgrade first. Given my room, I probably have to stick with in-ceiling for SS, but I really wonder how well the 532's will do or if I'll upgrade to towers.

Have folks seen 533 vs. 633 comparisons?

I'll post my experience with these after they arrive and I endure the 50-hour break-in.
avnur is offline  
post #98 of 6970 Old 02-24-2007, 09:28 PM
Member
 
pschwartz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great news tdogroeder and avnur, I will look forward to you thoughts and experiences. Please follow up here. My purchase is going to be a little farther down the road.
pschwartz is offline  
post #99 of 6970 Old 02-26-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mchuckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I pulled the trigger yesterday on Aperions after reading so many good things here. I ordered a pair of 633t's, 533VAC Center, and a pair of 422LR's for surrounds. The 633's are out of stock until 3/3. Hopefully mine will ship soon after! I'm also going to order an HSU sub but have to wait a bit before I can afford it. For now, I gotta live with my JBL sub.

Thanks for everyone's comments in this thread. I hope I love them as much as many of you do. I will definitely post my impressions after getting them hooked up, calibrated, and broken in.

mchuckp
mchuckp is offline  
post #100 of 6970 Old 02-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Newbie
 
hughdunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just put an order in today! I have read extensively and was up in the air with either paradigm studios, quads or as a last throw in the aperion brand. After reading so much positive feedback, the great price, and 30 day in house trial I was sold on these babies. I got a pair of 633T's and a 634-VAC center to match with as well as some of those beautiful looking 534-SS surrounds.

Hoping these really bring the sound alive for my 106" screen, my current old jbl's are a joke.
hughdunnit is offline  
post #101 of 6970 Old 02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Member
 
Ray906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if somebody decides to return the speakers during the 30 day trial, what does Aperion do with the returns? Do they resell them as new? Do they sell them at a reduced price?

They do not resell them as new.....I have been able to purchase returned and slightly damaged speakers at a reduced price over the last few years. Living close to there office makes it easy to stop in and see what they have in stock. I've had a number of friends do the same thing. You just have to ask to see what they have.
Ray906 is offline  
post #102 of 6970 Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mchuckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdunnit View Post

I just put an order in today! I have read extensively and was up in the air with either paradigm studios, quads or as a last throw in the aperion brand. After reading so much positive feedback, the great price, and 30 day in house trial I was sold on these babies. I got a pair of 633T's and a 634-VAC center to match with as well as some of those beautiful looking 534-SS surrounds.

Hoping these really bring the sound alive for my 106" screen, my current old jbl's are a joke.

Ha, ha! Mine new Aperions are replacing my old JBL Northridge series.

BTW, they had me excited. Got an email saying my order shipped which suprised me because I knew the 633t's were backordered until 3/3. After reading the email closer, they shipped everything but them. DAMN!!! Hopefully the 633's will ship around the 3/3 date. I'll go crazy if they extend that date.
mchuckp is offline  
post #103 of 6970 Old 02-27-2007, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
accts4mjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wish I had read the forum a few days back I would have pointed out that I don't think the 533VAC is a good match for the 633Ts. I have the 633Ts and had a 533VAC until the 634VAC came out and was always distracted by the 533VAC because you could tell it didn't match (I think that's called Timbre). You do have a 1yr upgrade path though so if you find the same thing rest assured that you'll be happy with the 634VAC if you do upgrade.

Mike
accts4mjs is offline  
post #104 of 6970 Old 02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
hughdunnit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
lol that's funny, I have the JBL Northridge also. Guess we will have to compare our experiences! What receiver do you have? Are you using BluRay/HD-DVD? I've got the Yamaha rxv1700 with a PS3 and a HD-Addon for the 360.

I just received Beside You in Time Nine inch nails BD, can't wait for these speakers to get here for that.

I thought more shipped also but the only thing that shipped is the surrounds, the rest is on backorder like yours. Would be nice if they get stock a little earlier instead of later.
hughdunnit is offline  
post #105 of 6970 Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mchuckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughdunnit View Post

lol that's funny, I have the JBL Northridge also. Guess we will have to compare our experiences! What receiver do you have? Are you using BluRay/HD-DVD? I've got the Yamaha rxv1700 with a PS3 and a HD-Addon for the 360.

I just received Beside You in Time Nine inch nails BD, can't wait for these speakers to get here for that.

I thought more shipped also but the only thing that shipped is the surrounds, the rest is on backorder like yours. Would be nice if they get stock a little earlier instead of later.

I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR804 receiver. I have a Toshiba HD-XA1 HD-DVD player hooked up via HDMI. I also have an xbox 360 but just for gaming.

My NIN HD-DVD is on its way. I will probably check some of it out once I get it but will hold off really enjoying it unti all my speakers are here. I'm really excited about this disc after reading the reviews! I can't imagine how good a top notch recording in Dolby TrueHD sounds with these speakers.
mchuckp is offline  
post #106 of 6970 Old 02-28-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mchuckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

Wish I had read the forum a few days back I would have pointed out that I don't think the 533VAC is a good match for the 633Ts. I have the 633Ts and had a 533VAC until the 634VAC came out and was always distracted by the 533VAC because you could tell it didn't match (I think that's called Timbre). You do have a 1yr upgrade path though so if you find the same thing rest assured that you'll be happy with the 634VAC if you do upgrade.

Mike

I really hope that I find the 533VAC voice matched well enough with the 633t's. My space just can't handle the beast center in the 600 series!

accts4mjs: How big is your room? Just wondering if it is more apparent in larger rooms where you push the speakers a lot more. I have a pretty small space actually. I only sit about 7-8 feet from my fronts and the room is about 12x14with 8' ceilings.

I'll know pretty soon. I have my fingers crossed!

Anyone else have an opinion on voice matching? Seems like I read some other posts in this thread where people where quite happy. I'm sure it varies with room sizes, acoustics, and equipment.
mchuckp is offline  
post #107 of 6970 Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey Aperion Owners,

Do Aperion's have a neutral, warm, or bright sound?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #108 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Newbie
 
icelite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I am in the process of getting my basement completed and plan on having a small theater room as well. The room is not very large being only (13.5" x 13.0" with a 8" ceiling). I have spent quite some time looking at speakers and have decided on the aperion speakers. Being a small room I am thinking about getting the following package:

Intimus 532 Cinema:

Front Speakers: 2 Intimus 532-LR Bookshelf Speaker
Center Channel: 1 Intimus 533-VAC Center Channel Speaker
Surrounds: 2 Intimus 422-LR Satellite Speaker
Subwoofer: 1 Intimus S-10, 10" Powered Subwoofer

Will also probably get two stands for the fronts so the speakers are closer to ear level while sitting. Will put the surrounds on wall brackets.

I currently have a Sony 50 inch HDTV about 3 years old no HDMI but has DVI.

My questions are regarding the speakers I plan on getting, are they sufficient for my room size or does anyone have any other recommendations? I also would like to know what A/V receiver I should get that would compliment the aperion speakers. My budget for the receiver is about 1100 or so. Budget for speakers is 1500 or so.

I have been reading about the Denon AVR 2807...is this a good receiver for my planned set-up? Or do you recommend something else? I current have the 622 HD DVR from dishnetwork, xbox 360 with HD-dvd player which I will use with my system.

Any recommendations would be highly appreciated. I plan on purchasing the receiver and speaker here in a 1-3 weeks time.

Thanks.
icelite is offline  
post #109 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Member
 
Aminopterin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
icelite,

You have picked out a great setup for your room size in my opinion. The Denon 2807 will go great with those speakers. You are going to be a happy camper!

The only thing I might do different is go with 532's instead of the 422's for surrounds, but that is a preference thing. In a room your size, you may like the small size of the 422's... You can always send them back within a year for full credit if you want to upgrade to 532's...

-James
Aminopterin is offline  
post #110 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Hey Aperion Owners,

Do Aperion's have a neutral, warm, or bright sound?

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #111 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
accts4mjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

accts4mjs: How big is your room? Just wondering if it is more apparent in larger rooms where you push the speakers a lot more. I have a pretty small space actually. I only sit about 7-8 feet from my fronts and the room is about 12x14with 8' ceilings.

Good point. My room is 18x22x8. I sit about 10-11 feet away from my front speakers. Room acoustics really could have everything to do with it as well. I don't have any sound treatment yet (in the works) and hope that improves things also.

Good luck and enjoy those bad boys!

Mike
accts4mjs is offline  
post #112 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Aminopterin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

I really hope that I find the 533VAC voice matched well enough with the 633t's. My space just can't handle the beast center in the 600 series!

accts4mjs: How big is your room? Just wondering if it is more apparent in larger rooms where you push the speakers a lot more. I have a pretty small space actually. I only sit about 7-8 feet from my fronts and the room is about 12x14with 8' ceilings.

I'll know pretty soon. I have my fingers crossed!

Anyone else have an opinion on voice matching? Seems like I read some other posts in this thread where people where quite happy. I'm sure it varies with room sizes, acoustics, and equipment.

I have pretty much the same setup as Mike, and agree with his comments. I too upgraded from a 533-VAC to a 634-VAC in order to match up with the 633T's. There was a slight pitch difference with the 533-VAC, but that is primarily due to most of the sound is coming from the 4" mid-range. The midrange is a 5.25 on the 634-VAC, this makes a big difference. In my opinion, room size/treatments have very little to do with this... the speaker sizes simply don't jive with each other.

That pitch difference is not the main reason I upgraded. During action movies, the 534-VAC simply can't keep up with the 633T's.

mchuckp, given your room size, you might even want to consider bumping down the towers to the 533T's, they are getting raves for sound quality and will match up with the 534-VAC very nicely. The 633T's, might be a bit much for that room, if it is a closed off room... if your listening room opens up to a common area or a kitchen or something, then you might be ok. You said you will sit 6-7 from the fronts... does that take into account the depth of the 633T's? The fronts of the towers will be at least 20 inches from the wall (counting a little toe-in)....

The nice thing about Aperion is you can try them out and send them back with free shipping within 30 days. The only sweat you'll break is wrestling the 70 lb speakers back in their box.

-James
Aminopterin is offline  
post #113 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Aminopterin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogroeder View Post

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Good question, but one you might get a different answer from every person you ask...

In my opinion, I would have to call them "warm", which was the first thing I thought when doing listening to vocal genre music.

I've heard people call them bright, but I don't think so when you compare them to a speaker like Klipsch... those are bright. When upgrading from a crap speaker to a great speaker, most people feel there is too much treble... or brightness. But that mainly has to do with those people missing the upper 3rd of the frequency spectrum in the past... it can take some getting used to.

I'm not sure what is meant by neutral... even sound across the spectrum? If so, Aperion is pretty close. I have heard Paradigm Studio's, they sound more even across the spectrum when critically listening to music. But they are not so much better to justify the price difference.

Hope that helps...

-James
Aminopterin is offline  
post #114 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tdogroeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminopterin View Post

I'm not sure what is meant by neutral... even sound across the spectrum? If so, Aperion is pretty close. I have heard Paradigm Studio's, they sound more even across the spectrum when critically listening to music. But they are not so much better to justify the price difference.

Hope that helps...

-James

It does help, thanks.

Paradigm Studio's are nice, but for the price of vinyl cabinets, that sucks. That is the reason I am strongly leaning with ID speakers, because you get real wood veneered cabinets that are beautifull, great sound with pricies hard to beat.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

tdogroeder is offline  
post #115 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
accts4mjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminopterin View Post

mchuckp, given your room size, you might even want to consider bumping down the towers to the 533T's, they are getting raves for sound quality and will match up with the 534-VAC very nicely.

Glad James pointed this out. I thought about it a few times but was hesitant to suggest it since I haven't heard the 533Ts.

Since the 633Ts are backordered maybe you should order the 533Ts now and if you find you like them just cancel your order for the 633Ts.

If you plan to do MOSTLY 2 channel music listening I'd stick with the 633Ts. If you plan to do mostly movie watching (or even half and half) I'd go with the 533Ts because I just think the 533-VAC is too distracting with the 633Ts.

Mike
accts4mjs is offline  
post #116 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mchuckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by accts4mjs View Post

Glad James pointed this out. I thought about it a few times but was hesitant to suggest it since I haven't heard the 533Ts.

Since the 633Ts are backordered maybe you should order the 533Ts now and if you find you like them just cancel your order for the 633Ts.

If you plan to do MOSTLY 2 channel music listening I'd stick with the 633Ts. If you plan to do mostly movie watching (or even half and half) I'd go with the 533Ts because I just think the 533-VAC is too distracting with the 633Ts.

Mike

You guys are KILLING me!!! Making me second guess my purchase. From reading the forums and reviews it seems that people rave about the 633t's for 2-channel music. Granted, 95% of my speaker use is TV and movies but when I get a chance to kick back and listen to some tunes I LOVE to have great sounds. I guess I was afraid that I would not be satisfied enough with the 533's for those times I get to listen to music. Seems like the smaller woofers wouldn't lend itself as well to full range music in 2-channel.

If I'm not satisfied with the 533VAC, I'm not sure what to do. My TV has a center speaker shelf (Sammy 4674 DLP). The 20 lb 533 I think is about the limit I would put on there. I definitely could not put the 40 lb monster 600-series center on there!

Hmm... I guess I have time to think about it since they just called today and said the 633's won't ship for another week or so. They've already shipped everyhing else.

If anyone else has comments on the 633 vs 533 let me know.

YOU ALL ARE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mchuckp is offline  
post #117 of 6970 Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Member
 
andrewrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
avs is fantastic! so much information here... can take days to fully comprehend

anyhow, im in the market for some good speakers and i think i've found the right ones.

i have a few questions though about the 633ts:

is there such a thing as having too small of a room for speakers? 13x13ft?

would a sony 5200ES amp drive the 633ts well?

how do these compare to the axiom & the swans?
andrewrocks is offline  
post #118 of 6970 Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Member
 
Aminopterin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

If I'm not satisfied with the 533VAC, I'm not sure what to do. My TV has a center speaker shelf (Sammy 4674 DLP). The 20 lb 533 I think is about the limit I would put on there. I definitely could not put the 40 lb monster 600-series center on there!

Hmm... I guess I have time to think about it since they just called today and said the 633's won't ship for another week or so. They've already shipped everyhing else.

If anyone else has comments on the 633 vs 533 let me know.

YOU ALL ARE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to stress.

To get my 634-VAC under the tv I had to rip out the shelving so it has room to be angled up a little... it definately is a big boy.

You will see more reviews for the 633-T because the 533-T is still pretty new, but the initial word is they are great for music.

With your distance from seating to speaker, the 633T's are a bit large... but this is going to be a preference thing. Looking back at what you ordered, I just noticed you purchased the 422's for surrounds. If you are 90+% movies, you might want a more balanced sound between the front and back. the 633T's will not match well with 422's in this case. You can either update the surrounds to any 5xx series speaker, OR bring down the fronts to the 533T's (my recommendation for your room size).

I personally would not go with 6 series towers, 5 series center, and 4 series surrounds. With your room constraints, 533T's, 533-VAC, and 532's for surrounds would be be ideal, and I don't think the cost would be much different. Keeping the surrounds 422 would not be a big deal if the fronts are 5xx series. Since the towers have been delayed, and the 533T's are probably on the same slow boat from China, you have a little time to think about it.

One more note... If you are heavy in movies, I would recommend a sub (don't remember reading you have one). The 633'T's can do well on their on with music (that is how I listen), but during movies a sub will make all the difference.

It is not my intention to discourage you... just offering advise. Don't worry if things have already shipped and you want to make changes, Aperion is very flexible in this regard.

-James
Aminopterin is offline  
post #119 of 6970 Old 03-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Aminopterin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrocks View Post

i have a few questions though about the 633ts:

is there such a thing as having too small of a room for speakers? 13x13ft?

would a sony 5200ES amp drive the 633ts well?

how do these compare to the axiom & the swans?

Hi Andrew.

No matter what size room you have, there is a speaker for it. However, it is possible to get the wrong speakers for the room. Aperion makes tiny 432's up to the big and bad 633-T's that weigh 70lbs each. In your case, 13 x 13, I feel the 633T's are too big... assuming this is a closed off room.

What will you be doing? Movies, music? both? Are you planning a 5.1 movie system?

For a room your size, many folks like to go with the 533-PT (power towers), which has a built in sub and sub-amp in the tower. This offers a good balance between movies and music in a smaller space. These cost a little more ($600 each), but you don't have the added expense of a separate sub.

I can't answer on the amp question, I have no experience with the sony amps. For the 633T's, it will need to handle a 6ohm load and push out at least 70-100 TRUE watts (I say "true watts" because many amps don't push out the watts stated when all channels are driven, or the power supply is incapable of doing so, check the specs).

If I remember right, the Aperion forum has a couple of threads comparing Axiom's with Aperion. If nobody replies to you here you can always jump over there.

-James
Aminopterin is offline  
post #120 of 6970 Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mchuckp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,445
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminopterin View Post

No need to stress.

To get my 634-VAC under the tv I had to rip out the shelving so it has room to be angled up a little... it definately is a big boy.

You will see more reviews for the 633-T because the 533-T is still pretty new, but the initial word is they are great for music.

With your distance from seating to speaker, the 633T's are a bit large... but this is going to be a preference thing. Looking back at what you ordered, I just noticed you purchased the 422's for surrounds. If you are 90+% movies, you might want a more balanced sound between the front and back. the 633T's will not match well with 422's in this case. You can either update the surrounds to any 5xx series speaker, OR bring down the fronts to the 533T's (my recommendation for your room size).

I personally would not go with 6 series towers, 5 series center, and 4 series surrounds. With your room constraints, 533T's, 533-VAC, and 532's for surrounds would be be ideal, and I don't think the cost would be much different. Keeping the surrounds 422 would not be a big deal if the fronts are 5xx series. Since the towers have been delayed, and the 533T's are probably on the same slow boat from China, you have a little time to think about it.

One more note... If you are heavy in movies, I would recommend a sub (don't remember reading you have one). The 633'T's can do well on their on with music (that is how I listen), but during movies a sub will make all the difference.

It is not my intention to discourage you... just offering advise. Don't worry if things have already shipped and you want to make changes, Aperion is very flexible in this regard.

-James

Thanks for your response. I didn't mention a sub but I do have one. Currently it is a 10" JBL that is okay. I will be ordering a 12" HSU in a few months after I get the speakers paid off.

As for the 422's, my speakers sit on stands right next to the couch. If I had an option in a bigger room or could put them on the wall I would look at something bigger. But for something that is a foot or two from your ear and sits on a stand next to the couch, anything bigger would be pretty powerful and unsightly. If I ever have a bigger room, I'd probably purchase larger surrounds.

I'm going to chat with the "gurus" at Aperion and get their opinion on the 633 vs 533. Not sure if I will really get a good answer or not.

I'm tempted to keep my order as it is and see what I think. Then if I really don't like it then I could send the 633's back for the 533's.

I'm going to go chat with Aperion now.
mchuckp is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off