*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 6974 Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone in this thread describe the Intimus 533-T ? I don't see much on the board and I understand this is a relatively new model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 6974 Old 03-31-2007, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
There's a review on it in Stereophile this month. There's also a review over at Affordable$$Audio. [edit: Oops, I take that back it was the 533PT reviewed at a$a]

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #153 of 6974 Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 PM

I would like some opinions on the 533-VAC center. I just bought the 533-T mains and I am really impressed.
post #154 of 6974 Old 04-20-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroeric View Post

I would like some opinions on the 533-VAC center. I just bought the 533-T mains and I am really impressed.

If you like the mains you will love the 533 VAC center. It is an incredible performer for the price. The only reason I upgraded from it to the 6 series is because I have the 633T towers and although it was an excellent center channel the new 6 series center is a better match with them.

JD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #155 of 6974 Old 04-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
hey all! I posted this over at the Aperion forum and though it would be good to post over here also....

Hi,

I've decided to upgrade my speakers from what came with a HTIB I got years ago. The room I'm considering measures 19'10" x 15' with a ceiling height of 8'5", with one side open along the entire length (19' side) of the room. The opposite side has a large (3/4 length of the room) sliding glass door. I've attached a very crude diagram. I was thinking of a 532 LR pair for the fronts, a 533 VAC center and pair of 422s for the rears. I already have a subwoofer that I like. Will this work in this setting? My receiver is a Panasonic XR-SA55. This will be for a 60/40 movie/music listening split. TV is a the right end of the room and the couch is about two feet from the opposite wall. Thanks for any suggestions!

Petteri Leone
"all the boys upstairs want to see
how much you'll pay for
what you used to get for free"
- tom petty, the last dj
post #156 of 6974 Old 04-23-2007, 12:40 PM

I just ordered 533-T R/Ls and a 533-VAC Center. Wish I didn't have to wait a month or so. Experience and reviews sound very positive and the effective "free trial" is hard to beat.
post #157 of 6974 Old 04-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Has anyone done a comparison between the Aperion 633-T and B&W 600 series floorstanders (or any other B&W speakers for that matter)? The B&W's appear to cost slightly more than the 603's, but I don't really have any showrooms in this area to audition them.
post #158 of 6974 Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM

Survey - Buzzing S-10
I'm wondering for those of you who own a Aperion S-10 sub if you've noticed a low (volume-wise, not frequency-wise) buzzing noise from the back of sub around the heatsink area. It's barely audible, so put your ear against the back of sub. I'm pretty sure it ain't the ground loop thing as I've tried the 2-prong plug and the fact that my S-12 doesn't have this humming sound when plugged to the same outlet/location. The sub doesn't even have to be on nor the sub cable nees to be connected - simply connect the power cord would do. I'm wondering this is a design or a difference in electronic component used (transformer, e.g) issue between S-10 and S-12. Your feedback is appreciated.
post #159 of 6974 Old 04-25-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Dead Horse, I think 325xijd did compare them with B&W's.Refer to this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9&page=1&pp=30
post #160 of 6974 Old 04-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petteri View Post

I was thinking of a 532 LR pair for the fronts, a 533 VAC center and pair of 422s for the rears. I already have a subwoofer that I like. Will this work in this setting? My receiver is a Panasonic XR-SA55. This will be for a 60/40 movie/music listening split. Thanks for any suggestions!

I have the 633T/634-VAC combo so can't comment directly but the only thing I might suggest you add to your list of considerations is that if you're looking at putting the 532s on stands you might want to go straight to the 533Ts instead. I believe the cost is really close when you factor in the stands as well. If you're doing wall mount or shelf mount then I think you're fine. From the reviews and comments I've heard the 532s sound like they'd be a good fit. Have you tried calling Aperion and asking to speak to Caleb? He helps alot of people with speaker setup and selection and they seem to be very happy with his help.

Good luck,
Mike

post #161 of 6974 Old 04-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the link mrrame!

Does anyone who owns 633-T's also have Dipole/Monopole surround speakers (meaning both are in the same speaker and you can alternate between the two via a switch)? I'm trying to find some that would match well with the Aperion fronts, as I want the best of both worlds. :-)
post #162 of 6974 Old 04-25-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

I do and use the Aperion 534SS di/bipole surrounds. They work great with the 633T towers.

JD

post #163 of 6974 Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post

I do and use the Aperion 534SS di/bipole surrounds. They work great with the 633T towers.

JD

I meant di/monopole, where the monopole is direct-radiating (preferred for music) and the dipole is diffused. I guess i'm not too clear on the difference between a dipole and bipole.

Here's an example of a di/monopole speaker:

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...el/MODEL%20DS7
post #164 of 6974 Old 04-27-2007, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Guys,

After doing TONS of research for a 5.1 high end speaker system under $3000, I have concluded that the Aperions (633-Ts, 634-VAC, 632-LRs) and a HSU VTF-2 MK 3 subwoofer would be the best choice.

Now, what are your opinions on this? Could there be a better quality speaker system that is under $3k? From what I've read, the Aperions rule all for the best bang for your buck. Obviously there is a criteria everyone has about speakers and mine is I like to listen to music a lot and watch movies a lot (60%, 40%), I like warm and soothing sounding speakers with nice midrange. Only the Aperions have fit my criteria. I don't know about other brands.

Am I making the right decision here? I know that there are better and more expensive speakers (paradigm for ex.), but for the price I think there is no better than Aperion. Would you guys agree?

Also, I'm planning to pair them with the new Onkyo 875 receiver when it comes out. I believe the Onkyo paired with the Aperions would sound kick ass. Agree?

Thanks
post #165 of 6974 Old 04-28-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post

Guys,

After doing TONS of research for a 5.1 high end speaker system under $3000, I have concluded that the Aperions (633-Ts, 634-VAC, 632-LRs) and a HSU VTF-2 MK 3 subwoofer would be the best choice.

Now, what are your opinions on this? Could there be a better quality speaker system that is under $3k? From what I've read, the Aperions rule all for the best bang for your buck. Obviously there is a criteria everyone has about speakers and mine is I like to listen to music a lot and watch movies a lot (60%, 40%), I like warm and soothing sounding speakers with nice midrange. Only the Aperions have fit my criteria. I don't know about other brands.

Am I making the right decision here? I know that there are better and more expensive speakers (paradigm for ex.), but for the price I think there is no better than Aperion. Would you guys agree?

Also, I'm planning to pair them with the new Onkyo 875 receiver when it comes out. I believe the Onkyo paired with the Aperions would sound kick ass. Agree?

Thanks

I have the 6 series system paired with the 534SS surrounds. I auditioned several brands of speakers (including many at higher price points) before purchasing these. For the money they offer a lot of performance.

Best part is you can demo them in your theater and if you do not think so just return them. My guess is you won't

JD

post #166 of 6974 Old 04-28-2007, 06:56 AM

I have had the Aperion 533PTs, 532 LRs, and a 533 VAC for over a year now and still love them. Aperion's customer service really is excellent and I experienced that first hand when I purchased mine. I had a problem with one of the towers and they shipped out a new one before they even received the bad one back. They even walked me thru some set up instructions on some equipment that I had not even purchased from them.

I really can't say enough about their customer service. You shouldn't worry about auditioning them and returning them if you are not satisfied. Aperion will also be at the Home Entertainment Show in New York City in May for those of you who live on the East Coast. I actually auditioned mine the last time they were in NYC and then placed my order at the show.

Marie

----------------------------------------------------------
Comcast Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box --SARA 1.88.25.1 and a Maxtor Quickview Expander PLUS 300 GB external drive
post #167 of 6974 Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool, thanks for the answers.

Looks like I'll be getting the 6 series Aperions. The price to performace ratio is just to great for these speakers. Lets hope I'll be satisfied when I get them (I probably will be)....

Since I do watch a lot of movies, I'll have to get the 532-SSs instead of the 632-LRs. That would seem like the logical choice. I think the in-home trial is an awesome way of trying out speakers.....Aperion rules!
post #168 of 6974 Old 04-28-2007, 08:25 AM

Has anyone compared the Aperion line to ID competitors like Axiom, Onix, Ascend, etc? In particular it looks like some of the lower end Onix Rocket speakers are priced very closely to the Aperion 600 series.
post #169 of 6974 Old 04-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

I just placed an order for the 532 Cinema system. I kept playing with different set ups, with and with out a sub-woofer with the "build a system" on the website. I'm replacing the speakers from a Kenwood HTIB. I thought at first I would save the cost of the sub-woofer and keep the Kenwood sub, but in the end I decided to just get everything new.

My only concern is that my room is open on one side to a hallway and dining room. The opposite "wall" is a sliding glass door that takes up 2/3rds of the wall. I wondering if the 422s in the rear will be enough. I'll just might take advantage of the Aperion upgrade program.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #170 of 6974 Old 05-01-2007, 06:05 AM

I recently purchased a Marantz SR8001 to power a new system. I mainly purchased it for it's reputation and the fact that it had 4 HDMI which I needed desperately.

I have the 633-T's on order, which are coming in on 5/18 so a little longer... I have the 634VAC and haven't turned it on yet but the quality is there and I'm sure I'll be happy. The 632-IW's look decent.

Now, to the sub. I had the S-12 come in and it looked nice, but I didn't like the fact that I could see inside the port on the back of the sub where there was dust or particles and I especially didn't like the fact that I could see the thin foam insulation inside. It looked like the kind of insulation that I get to put underneath hardwood flooring when I'm working on our rental properties.

In any case, it's going back today. I was fortunate enough this past weekend to demo and purchase a JLAudio Fathom F112, I think that should take care of things.

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering how to mount a 634VAC to the top of a DLP or 'slim-line- TV, well I just went and purcahsed 2 OmniMount Center Channel Speaker Shelf, found on amazon ... (CCH1B) and mounted them side by side on top of my Samsung 50' DLP and all was well. The stands hold a total of 30 pounds each and the 634VAC is 40 pounds... Hence 2. Worked like a charm.

Nick
post #171 of 6974 Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I don't know if this is appropriate and I apologize if it isn't but I have 2 633 T's, a 634 VAC and 4 632 LR's for sale, all in piano black and less than 2 months old. All are in excellent condition with a pretty significant discount. This is local Portland pick up only.

They are too much speaker for my room. You can send me a PM.

Thanks.
post #172 of 6974 Old 05-16-2007, 09:42 AM

Ok, I just got a pair of Aperion Audio 633-T's delivered yesterday... When I went home to open them up, I thought the packaging was decent, I thought the outside finish was decent, the woofer's & tweeter looked good but just like with the Aperion S-12 sub I purchased & sent back. The bass tube looked like someone used it for a DIP CUP. (I know, because I used to dip when I was a young fool). AND not only that I can see dust and inside the bass tube I can see the cheap foam filler broad as daylight which to me looks CHEESY.

I'm about to send the whole lot back and buy POLK AUDIO.

Do you think I'm being too picky ?

I kind of like the Aperion Center that I have, and I already installed the in-wall Aperion Speakers for surround so I'm stuck with those, but they look nice.

I hooked up everything last night, but couldn't get my Marantz SR8001 to work... got no sound, though I only played with it for a short while, it was late.

Even if the Aperion 633-T's sound good, I feel embarrassed taking off the covers to show friends and what not.

Do all speakers look like this ? (I haven't purchased a good set of speakers in about 8 years so I don't know... But I remember a set of JBL's back then that looked 'new'.)...

Please give me your input, any input. I'm about to send them back.

THANK YOU,

Nick
post #173 of 6974 Old 05-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I would take a digital photo, email it to Aperion and ask them if this is what the speakers should normally look like with the covers off.

I listened to the new 533-T's at the HE show last weekend in New York. I don't remember seeing anything like that through the port tube but then again, the room wasn't especially bright.

The 533-T's by the way, sounded very nice.

Little Loft Home Theater
post #174 of 6974 Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasd90 View Post

THANK YOU,

Nick

Well, how about calling up Aperion and asking them whats up? I doubt they intend the speakers to look like that with the covers off. Perhaps a bad batch slipped though. Lets us know how they respond if you do call them up. I've got a 5.1 bookshelf system arriving on Friday so I'll post on that later on.

Petteri Leone
how much you'll pay for
- tom petty, the last dj
post #175 of 6974 Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasd90 View Post

Ok, I just got a pair of Aperion Audio 633-T's delivered yesterday... When I went home to open them up, I thought the packaging was decent, I thought the outside finish was decent, the woofer's & tweeter looked good but just like with the Aperion S-12 sub I purchased & sent back. The bass tube looked like someone used it for a DIP CUP. (I know, because I used to dip when I was a young fool). AND not only that I can see dust and inside the bass tube I can see the cheap foam filler broad as daylight which to me looks CHEESY.

I'm about to send the whole lot back and buy POLK AUDIO.

Do you think I'm being too picky ?

I kind of like the Aperion Center that I have, and I already installed the in-wall Aperion Speakers for surround so I'm stuck with those, but they look nice.

I hooked up everything last night, but couldn't get my Marantz SR8001 to work... got no sound, though I only played with it for a short while, it was late.

Even if the Aperion 633-T's sound good, I feel embarrassed taking off the covers to show friends and what not.

Do all speakers look like this ? (I haven't purchased a good set of speakers in about 8 years so I don't know... But I remember a set of JBL's back then that looked 'new'.)...

THANK YOU,

Nick

Nick,
I know what you are describing with your 633T's. The port tubes are rough on mine also but you really have to bend over and stick your nose in them to see how they are finished (which I agree is on the cheap side). Once on your knees with nose to the port you can also see the insulation inside on mine. This is standard insulation and I can gaurantee you as a previous (and current) owner of Polk speakers they do not use anything magical inside in this regard. I have replaced the tweeters in my vintage 1988 Polk Monitors twice so I have seen the inside of them a couple of times.

I auditioned and looked over all of the current lineup of Polk speaks last spring before deciding on the Aperion Towers. The bottom line for me was the overall finish of the cabinets and quality of the drivers as well as the overall tonal balance of the speakers. I played them side by side with my Polk Monitors and although the Monitors could outgun the 633T's in clean SPL the 633T's have a much better balance of midrange and an overall sound quality that I like. They are also killer for movie soundtracks mated with the 6 series center channel. Polk has nothing even close to the Aperion center channel at this price point.

Everyone has their requirements. If you want a sealed enclosure and are looking at the Polk line you will be in the LSi series before you meet or beat the 633T in overall sound quality and appearance. You will also be much higher in price. If your budget allows and you want high performance with good looks I would recommend something from AV123. Their Rocket RS860 signatures look great and offer very high performance for the dollar. These are in another league compared to either of the Polk LSi series but yet are in the same price bracket as the Polk LSi's.

Just my 2 cents,

JD

post #176 of 6974 Old 05-16-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I just posted the same over on the Aperion forum. I like to have grills off my speakers in general. The port tubes on the 633-T's are HUGE and from a seated position you can peer directly in them and see the bright white batting material, which I, frankly, don't want to see. And yes, the finish "quality" of the tubes themselves is pretty bad. Mine look like they were used to mix a small batch of concrete, then spray painted over. I asked if maybe there's some really porous foam material out there somewhere I could fashion some port plugs out of or something. No response from anyone yet.
post #177 of 6974 Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

If you don't mind can you please post some pictures.
Thanks
post #178 of 6974 Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 AM

I've seen several folks who have substituted an HSU sub in their otherwise complete Aperion setup. Looking at similar price points here's what I see:

$500:
Aperion S-10: 25hz, 200W continuous, 10inch woofer
HSU VTF-2 Mk 3: 18hz (max extension), 25hz (max output), 250W continuous, 12 inch woofer

However, when looking at similar technical specs we have this:

Aperion S-12: 20hz, 250W continuous, 12inch woofer ($600)
HSU VTF-2 Mk 3: 18hz (max extension), 25hz (max output), 250W continuous, 12 inch woofer ($500)

OR

Aperion S-10: 25hz, 200W continuous, 10inch woofer ($500)
HSU VTF-1: 25hz (max extension), 25hz (max output), 200W continuous, 10inch woofer ($400)

So....from a technical specs perspective the HSU is a better value. The VTF-2 is a hundred dollars less than the similar performing S-12. This, plus some additional features (dual mode, bypassible X-over), I assume is why HSU appears to be a popular substitute for the Aperion subs, that much is obvious but equally obvious is what matters most is the sound and I haven't seen any comparizons in their sound quality. Has anyone here done a listening comparison between the two makes? How would you rate the two manufactuers relative to other similarly priced units? I do about 50/50 mix of HT and music so am looking for much more than just a gut-thumping HT sub and would like a good balance between that and musicality. Any opinions?

Edit: Forgot to ask but there seems to be a significant difference between manufacturers regarding sub placement. HSU very much likes the idea of placing the sub behind or next to the listening position (calling it "near field") while most seem to have moved away from this and primarily recommend placement in a front corner. Anyone have an opinion about this?
post #179 of 6974 Old 05-21-2007, 07:00 AM

I own the 533pt and also have the aperion 12in sub in my 5.1 HT setup. Just curious to know what volume do other 533pt owners dial in in the back of the speaker? 1/2 way, more, or less?

also, for those of you that own the aperion 12in sub, where do you guys leave the volume setting in the back of the sub? 1/2 way, more, or less?

i know it depends on a lot of things including preference, but just curious to know what other aperion owners are doing.

are you guys happy with your 533-PT's?

how about the aperion 12in sub?
post #180 of 6974 Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace14 View Post

I've seen several folks who have substituted an HSU sub in their otherwise complete Aperion setup. Looking at similar price points here's what I see:

$500:
Aperion S-10: 25hz, 200W continuous, 10inch woofer
HSU VTF-2 Mk 3: 18hz (max extension), 25hz (max output), 250W continuous, 12 inch woofer

However, when looking at similar technical specs we have this:

Aperion S-12: 20hz, 250W continuous, 12inch woofer ($600)
HSU VTF-2 Mk 3: 18hz (max extension), 25hz (max output), 250W continuous, 12 inch woofer ($500)

OR

Aperion S-10: 25hz, 200W continuous, 10inch woofer ($500)
HSU VTF-1: 25hz (max extension), 25hz (max output), 200W continuous, 10inch woofer ($400)

So....from a technical specs perspective the HSU is a better value. The VTF-2 is a hundred dollars less than the similar performing S-12. This, plus some additional features (dual mode, bypassible X-over), I assume is why HSU appears to be a popular substitute for the Aperion subs, that much is obvious but equally obvious is what matters most is the sound and I haven't seen any comparizons in their sound quality. Has anyone here done a listening comparison between the two makes? How would you rate the two manufactuers relative to other similarly priced units? I do about 50/50 mix of HT and music so am looking for much more than just a gut-thumping HT sub and would like a good balance between that and musicality. Any opinions?

Edit: Forgot to ask but there seems to be a significant difference between manufacturers regarding sub placement. HSU very much likes the idea of placing the sub behind or next to the listening position (calling it "near field") while most seem to have moved away from this and primarily recommend placement in a front corner. Anyone have an opinion about this?

Another substition is the svs pb10-nsd for 429 plus shipping, still few bucks cheaper than the s-10 yet still hits 20hz vs the s-10's 25hz, course the piano black finish is very nice, but I personally went for the pb10-nsd substitution myself, since aperion doesn't offer any discount buying a package vs each speaker for HT use it's really hard not to throw in an SVS or HSU over theirs for same price and higher performance, afterall it's mostly hiding in a corner anyway and really is a huge part of HT.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread - Sr5007 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page