*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 7045 Old 05-21-2007, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooomz View Post

I own the 533pt and also have the aperion 12in sub in my 5.1 HT setup. Just curious to know what volume do other 533pt owners dial in in the back of the speaker? 1/2 way, more, or less?

are you guys happy with your 533-PT's?

I've got a new pair of 533PT's and run one sub a little less than 3/4 and the other at about 1/2. The reason for the difference is that one is very close to a side wall and it'll get boomy if it's too high and the other points into a large open space that sucks up the bass so I crank it up.

Overall, I really like the speakers which are a big improvement over my 20-year-old Polks. The Polks are also very good with excellent clairity and imaging but they use 12" passive radiators to improve the base vice a powered driver. There's no comparison between the two low-frequency capabilities. The PT's had a bit of "edginess" to the high frequencies at first but that appears to have gone away with some break-in.

The only problem I've had is trying to get everything balanced properly. These speakers are the first two parts of a HT setup so I want to be able to really crank the bass but the best bass location isn't necessarily the same as the best position for the mid/high ranges. Also, I've noticed a slight weakness at the lower mid-range which corresponds to a dip in the PT's frequency response curve at 100hz. This is not normally noticiable; however, one of my favorite tracks has a very low tenor sax line that is much weaker than you hear with the Polks and low tenor is right at 100hz. You probabaly wouldn't even notice it if you weren't intimately familiar with the track. I'm just guessing but it might be useful if the PT's had a variable x-over control.

Right now I think I'd be very happy with them but I'm thinking about swapping them for a pair of 533-T's plus a separate sub (thinking about the S-10, S-12 or other sub). The frequency response curves for the T's is noticiably flatter, probably because of the two mid-range drivers vice one, and I'd also have much more flexibility in placing the sub. I'm not sure about this yet though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 7045 Old 05-24-2007, 06:35 AM

I have the aperion 533-PT's. for movies the 533-pt rock at 3/4 of max volume gain. but for 2 channel music 1/2 is better because otherwise it sounds too bassy. do you fellow 533-pt owners run into the same problem?
post #183 of 7045 Old 05-25-2007, 09:50 PM

I've had my Aperion 533-Ts for almost two months now, and they sound terrific. I am thrilled with both the speaker and the customer service.
post #184 of 7045 Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Well, decided to make the change. I ordered an Outlaw LFM-1Plus (12", 350W, 18hz) and am going to replace the 533-PT's with the 533-T. Going to be interesting to see the difference.
post #185 of 7045 Old 05-26-2007, 05:47 AM

Keep us updated. I'm very interested in opinions of the 533-T and 534 VAC. Looking to purchase in late summer/early fall.
post #186 of 7045 Old 05-26-2007, 04:21 PM

I just purchased an Aperion system based on the 533Ts. I have them driven by an Arcam 280. I found them to be very high in treble-harsh is an accurate word. After fiddling with the Arcam's settings they sound great. I originally purchased a 10" sub from Aperion but replaced it with the much smaller 8" cube sub from them.

I've given up my CD player and use lossless tracks on an iPod video mounted in an Arcam rDock. It sounds very smooth.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the system, it rocks.

Joe
post #187 of 7045 Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstitzlein@gmail View Post

I just purchased an Aperion system based on the 533Ts. I have them driven by an Arcam 280. I found them to be very high in treble-harsh is an accurate word. After fiddling with the Arcam's settings they sound great. I originally purchased a 10" sub from Aperion but replaced it with the much smaller 8" cube sub from them.

I've given up my CD player and use lossless tracks on an iPod video mounted in an Arcam rDock. It sounds very smooth.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the system, it rocks.

Joe

I know what you're talking about with the highs. When I first got the 533-PT's I had the same issue, I thought they were a bit "edgy" but they softened up after a few hours and are now really sweet and smooth. Kind'a surprised you moved down from the S-10. Most people seem to move up in sub size vice down. Personally, I think the Outlaw I ordered was quite a bit more bang for the buck but I've never heard any bad about the Aperion subs. My wife isn't pleased that the Outlaw's just a big black cube vice the beautiful cherry wood finish of the Aperion subs but...oh well. I figure I'll just play everything loud enough to keep her out of the room and she won't have to worry about what the sub looks like.
post #188 of 7045 Old 05-28-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace14 View Post

I know what you're talking about with the highs. When I first got the 533-PT's I had the same issue, I thought they were a bit "edgy" but they softened up after a few hours and are now really sweet and smooth. Kind'a surprised you moved down from the S-10. Most people seem to move up in sub size vice down. Personally, I think the Outlaw I ordered was quite a bit more bang for the buck but I've never heard any bad about the Aperion subs. My wife isn't pleased that the Outlaw's just a big black cube vice the beautiful cherry wood finish of the Aperion subs but...oh well. I figure I'll just play everything loud enough to keep her out of the room and she won't have to worry about what the sub looks like.

I know what you mean, it's completely illogical, but the cube sub sounds just as good as the 10" and is about half the size.

Actually, the guys at Aperion recommended the smaller sub as being more musical (I live in Portland so I can just drop by with a question

Joe
post #189 of 7045 Old 06-06-2007, 03:23 PM

Question for some of you Aperion owners:
I'm planning to purchase towers and a center this summer.
The 533-T fits my budget and room size, but I'm also intrigued by the 634-VAC. Has anyone here gone with this combo?

Has anyone listened to both the 5 and 6 series VAC to make a good comparison? I'd trying to figure out if this is a good place to make a minor upgrade.

thanks.
post #190 of 7045 Old 06-06-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have had both. I was very impressed with the 5 series VAC. It is an excellent center channel. I upgraded to the 6 series because I started with the 633T towers. The 6 series center does a much better job keeping up with the 633T's. Just one opinion but if the 5 series towers fit the bill regarding room size and price then the 5 series center would be the way to go. It should be an excellent match and offers very high performance for the dollar.

JD
post #191 of 7045 Old 06-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I purchased a the 533Ts with the 534VAC and 532 surrounds. I went with the 12" sub. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who finds the treble a bit harsh at elevated volumes. Overall I am happy with the system but am trying to figure out what I can do about the harshness at high volumes. I am using an Onkyo 804 to drive the system. My room is a bit of a challenge too as it has hardwood floors and sheetrock walls. One side of the room has no wall so that poses a challenge as well.

I did a side by side comparison of the APerions with a Paradigm Monitor 9 system and a pair of Martin Logan montages as well. The MartinLogans were too mellow. The Paradigms were alright but not as clear as the aperions. My only gripe is with the harsh treble at high volumes.

Incidentally, the opening battle in Master and Commander blew my socks away with the APerion system.
post #192 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
In my experience the treble will never smooth out. I kept the the 6 series beyond the return period in the hopes it would smooth out. I liked everything else about the speaker but the treble hurt my ears. Finally I sold them at a 40% loss just to get out frm under them.
post #193 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 06:46 AM

I had the 533PT's for the full 30-day trial and, while intitially a bit harsh they did smooth out after only a couple of days. At first, it was bad enough that you go "wow, what was that?" but they really did mellow out quickly and are a very enjoyable set of speakers for music and very clear for HT. That said, I just returned them. For anyone interested, Aperion does indeed stand behind their return policy. One phone call and I had my shipping labels in my email an hour latter. Called FEDEX and they picked the speakers up the next day.

So, if I like these why did I return them? Not quite enough impact with the two small subs. They are excellent for music but just not what I wanted for HT. To replace the PTs I ordered an Outlaw LFM-1Plus (just managed to catch the end of last month's sale) and yesterday ordered two 533T, 534VAC and two 534SS. I was considering stepping up to the 633T's but they're on back order. Guess I'll try out the 533T and then consider upgrading to 633T if I think it's necessary. I'll let you guys know how these sound once everything (including my new Onkyo 805) arrives.
post #194 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

I have had mine for about 10 days (and about 75 hours of use) and they dont seem to have mellowed yet. They don't sound very harsh at low or moderate volumes but at higher volumes it is a problem. Not sure what I am going to do. My budget is 2K for a 5.1 system and living in a small midwestern town means that there arent as many audio dealers that I can audition speakers. I could of course return these, try some other ID brand and come back to these if that doesnt work out ( or as my wife suggests not listen to them at high volumes...)
post #195 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by usp1 View Post

I have had mine for about 10 days (and about 75 hours of use) and they dont seem to have mellowed yet. They don't sound very harsh at low or moderate volumes but at higher volumes it is a problem. Not sure what I am going to do. My budget is 2K for a 5.1 system and living in a small midwestern town means that there arent as many audio dealers that I can audition speakers. I could of course return these, try some other ID brand and come back to these if that doesnt work out ( or as my wife suggests not listen to them at high volumes...)

I have the 633Ts and admit it took a bit of getting used to the clarity in the high range but once I did I absolutely loved it. Given what you've said so far though (especially with regards to your room setup) you might want to try and see if you can tame some of your room problems. Try sending a PM to bpape (he does a lot of acoustical room tuning for AVSers) and see if he has any suggestions.

I've also heard that mellower recievers can help too (like Yamaha) but that's probably more expensive than room treatments and if the room is really bad then a receiver swap may not help out at all.

Are you playing them with the grills on or off. I read a review that they were tuned for grills on and that some of the frequencies spiked when the grills were off.

Good luck,
Mike
post #196 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Grills are on. I tried grill off but that was harsher. I just purchased my Onkyo 804 amp and I doubt I can replace that. I will try some room treatments but allergy issues means rugs and heavy drapes are out. I might just hang up some blankets to see if that makes a difference ( and if it does then the room is the culprit). Have a little more time to make my decision...who knows my ears might adjust.
post #197 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 09:11 AM

USP, it really does sound like your room might be the root of the problem rather than the speakers. There are a few things you might check.

Check the size of your speaker wire. I'm not a proponent of the high-end types of cables (monster) that cost an arm and a leg, the only single factor that'll affect your sound is the wire gauge and if you're using anything smaller than 12 gauge it will affect your sound. Of course I assume that since you have a good amp and speakers that you probably didn't skimp on the cords.

Another idea here but have you adjusted your Onkyo's eq settings? I'm not that familiar with the 804 but assume it has more than just the standard treble and bass controls. Get yourself an SP meter and audio test disk and see if your high frequencies are out of wack....given your description of your room I'd guess that they are plus an acoustically active room like yours might present serious problems with any receiver's automatic EQ program.

I was going to suggest that a nice thick carpet and drapes would probably do the most to help your room acoustics but since that isn't possible you might consider some other options like some of the panel-type wall treatments to tame some of the reflections. There are some pretty inexpensive options but of course the greater the capability of the treatment the more expensive it becomes.

Best of luck.
post #198 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the advice. I plan on devoting some time later today and over the weekend to play with fine tuning the amp settings and adding some sound damping (at least on a temporary basis) to see if the room is the main problem. As for the wire it is 14gauge.From everything I read, that was more than adequate especially given that the run to the mains is less than 5 feet.

Also, i have the 533Ts placed on a rubber mat (the type one puts under heavy exercise equipment) without using the brass feet. Could that be an issue? I used the large rubber mat under my Plasma TV entertainment center and there was room left over on the mat where the speakers fit nicely ( gives the whole setup a nice defined boundary). I dont think the mat should be an issue because I tried the speakers placed on the bare floors and there was no perceptible difference.
post #199 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Nah, I seriously doubt there's any significant contribution As a matter of fact I used my PTs both with and without the feet and I couldn't hear any difference on carpet. Personally, I think the brass feet are sort of like the monster speaker wire thing, probably a lot more theoretical than real life.
post #200 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The feet do make a difference but you have to be able to hear the difference. Ugh, that didn't come out right. What I'm trying to say is think of a child trying to get your attention by whispering to you. In a room with just the two of you it would be easy to hear and you would probably understand what they're saying. Add 10 people having conversations in the room and all of a sudden you'll be lucky to even hear the whisper let alone understand what's being said. But that doesn't make the whisper non-existent.

Likewise if you have a room that is finely tuned so that there isn't a high occurrence of first order reflections and other things like room modes, etc (I'm no expert, just a dangerous amateur ) then it becomes difficult to hear nuances like having your speakers on brass spikes or using a preamp/amp setup vs. receiver, better transport device, power filters, etc, etc.

I guess my only point in all of this is that you can throw the feet out or you can hold on to them in case you get that slippery slope bug of sterophile-ness and one day tune your room/system to the point of actually wanting to use them. LOL!

Mike

PS. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I hope you get your room worked out and enjoy your speakers!!
post #201 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

You may not be entirely wrong about "able to hear the difference"! In any case I will play a little longer with my setup and make a final decision.
post #202 of 7045 Old 06-07-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 119
It may have been the room for me but I went and auditoned and bought Polk LSI's and haven't had a problem. I guess it's the difference in the tweeter. Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of things about Aperion especially the level of customer support but I could not tame them. I can't do room treatments either.
post #203 of 7045 Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 434
I've ordered and have on route a pair of 633T's, 534-SS and a 634-VAC. Oh and a HSU VTF-3 MK3.

So anyone care to tell me what I can expect? I'm really hoping I like them but buying blind is such a gamble. I was also considering NHT and Axiom. These will be powered by a Denon AVR-3801.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #204 of 7045 Old 06-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

So anyone care to tell me what I can expect?

Ummmmmm....Noise complaints? lol....seriously though I think you'll really like that combination but you don't have much to worry about even of you don't. First, the Aperions have universaly received very good reviews, especially at their price point. Second, if you don't like them the return policy is exceptional. Trying them out won't cost you a dime. I've got 5-series speakers on order and stuck with them to prevent wallet melt-down but, on the other hand, I can trade up to 6-series within the next year and get full credit for what I spent on the current ones. Pretty much a win-win situation. Enjoy.
post #205 of 7045 Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

It may have been the room for me but I went and auditoned and bought Polk LSI's and haven't had a problem. I guess it's the difference in the tweeter. Don't get me wrong, I really like a lot of things about Aperion especially the level of customer support but I could not tame them. I can't do room treatments either.

I had exactly the opposite experience. I really liked my vintage Polk Monitors so I auditioned the Polk lineup as a possible solution for a new HT setup. I was fortunate enough to be able to bring a set of LSi25s home for an audition once my room was finished. I did a side by side comparison with the 633T and my old Monitor 11's. After quite a bit of auditioning and comparison the 633T did a much better job with movies which of course is the main use in a dedicated theater.

My conclusion was that the integrated powered subwoofers (in the LSi's) were not optimally placed in my room as part of the cabinet. The 633T's with my Velodyne Servo sub blended into my room seamlessly. I could have used the LSi's with my Velo but that would not be cost effective as they are substantially more costly than the Aperion's.

My advice to anyone is to demo any speaker you are considering in your room as every speaker sounds different when it is in your environment. That is why the 30 day trial is such a good deal. I'm not knocking Polk's products here as I have been a longtime fan. You just need to listen for yourself to determine if a given product will work best in your setup.

Best Regards,

JD
post #206 of 7045 Old 06-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdskycaster View Post

My advice to anyone is to demo any speaker you are considering in your room as every speaker sounds different when it is in your environment. That is why the 30 day trial is such a good deal.

I second this whole-heartedly. I think the 30-day audition without even shipping costs is a fantastic idea. Having experienced the speakers myself...I would imagine that only a few feel the need to return them. I would suspect that room acoustics is in one of the few reasons why one might want to return the speakers.
post #207 of 7045 Old 07-10-2007, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I've ordered and have on route a pair of 633T's, 534-SS and a 634-VAC. Oh and a HSU VTF-3 MK3.

So anyone care to tell me what I can expect? I'm really hoping I like them but buying blind is such a gamble. I was also considering NHT and Axiom. These will be powered by a Denon AVR-3801.

That's almost exactly what i'm considering. Have you gotten your system? What are your impressions?
post #208 of 7045 Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv44 View Post

That's almost exactly what i'm considering. Have you gotten your system? What are your impressions?

I've got essentially one step down from Kenobi's setup. 533-T's, 534-SS surrounds and a 534-VAC center. These are combined with an Outlaw LFM-1Plus sub. It is an incredible change from my previous setup and I'm very pleased. I had tried out the 533-PT's first but returned them because, although they sounded very good for music I just couldn't get the low frequency response that I wanted for HT and that was mostly due to the size of my room and the fact I couldn't put both the subs and high/mid ranges where they worked best. My Outlaw is in the corner and will blow your socks off during Master and Commander's battle scenes. Paired with a new Onkyo 805 it's everything that I wanted. Maybe...just maybe.... I might eventually trade up to 633-T's but if I do it'll be to get more of a good thing than an effort to correct any shortcomings of the 533s and more of a "why not?" type of thing.
post #209 of 7045 Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
do you hear the 'brightness/harshness' that i've heard mentioned in other posts? How bad is it? Would something like Audyssey fix it?
post #210 of 7045 Old 07-11-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv44 View Post

do you hear the 'brightness/harshness' that i've heard mentioned in other posts? How bad is it? Would something like Audyssey fix it?

The original 533-PT's I tried had a bit of harshness right out of the box but they smoothed out real quick (within a week) and sounded great thereafter. I traded them in on 533-T's with the Outlaw sub and replaced my old Yamaha stereo with an Onkyo 805 AVR. With that setup I've had no perception of harshness or brightness at all, even before the Audyssey calibration. They sound very neutral and have since day one. The biggest difference I've heard with Audyssey is that it does a really good job with the Sub. Originally it was a bit boomy (placement is the front corner) but the Audyssey really did a good job of getting the bass response nice and smooth. I give all three (the Aperions, Onkyo and Audyssey) a big thumbs up.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page