Acoustic Research ARXP62 Bookshelf Assessment - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After living with these a while, do you have any final thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by exerciseguy View Post

After living with these a while, do you have any final thoughts?

Well, I'm listening to them right now so that should 'speak' for itself. As shown, the working setup is less than ideal but remains very satisfying. The subs shown are rarely used, making them rather expensive stand bases.

With better positioning and room attributes, I think improved dispersion would be possible. As it is, the wall on the left creates an audible difference in that channel. One has only so many rooms for dedicated audio and well those are already occupied with their own sound systems. Every room has one now, except the dinning, kitchen and bath rooms.

For the total of less than $200 (free ship on two J&R orders), these are remarkable. I'm biased of course since it's my investment after all. As shown, I'm using the previously mentioned stacked arrangement. I have yet to bother adjusting the treble despite sometimes thinking that could help.

It would be great to hear more from other members known to have purchased these, like Groch, Options2000 and masteraleph...

Deep Space - the free, all natural wire insulator, cabinet damper and transducer equalizer.
* Patented by Quietspeaker Industries, a division of Almighty Group.
post #33 of 50 Old 03-07-2007, 10:15 AM

Not too biased I hope, I made a recommendation solely based on your review (which was very good).
post #34 of 50 Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exerciseguy View Post

Not too biased I hope, I made a recommendation solely based on your review (which was very good).

Naturally, I think you're safe on that one. I don't own Audiovox stock or work for any related entity. Like many here, I tire of the rabid fan-boy reviews of most products, especially in magazines, so I try not to go overboard myself. I do believe a majority of people would find that the XP62s exceed expectations by a good margin. Quantifying that is another matter and is the basis of my comparisons to the DM601 S2s.

Further, I requested as much additional input from others as can be offered. I do not relish the idea of motivating a purchase which is soon lamented. It *may* be worth noting that nobody has yet replied to this two month old thread with a generally contradictory assessment. Yet, there are sure to be those that would not like these as there are always such people for any given audio product.

It is my view that anyone with a limited budget should seriously consider the XP62s. If all I wanted was a single pair of 2-ways and my budget were close to the X-LS price, the X-LS would probably be my choice. I have not heard the X-LS, but feel pretty confident of that choice given the community feedback. Though I wonder if the XP62s could give the X-LS a 'run for their money', I do expect that X-LS would be the victor in that challenge. I suspect that the Primus 160s would be more akin to these, but, alas, I have not heard those either. For those considering lesser priced alternatives like the Insignia NS-B2111s (which I have heard at BB), I strongly suggest saving up for a pair of the XP62s, especially now that BB raised the NS-B2111 price.

Obviously, these 'conclusions' are highly subjective, so sprinkle them with your favorite sodium supplement.

Deep Space - the free, all natural wire insulator, cabinet damper and transducer equalizer.
* Patented by Quietspeaker Industries, a division of Almighty Group.
post #35 of 50 Old 03-07-2007, 04:29 PM

We're pretty much on the same page. Another budget bookshelf candidate is the Polk R150 that sells for about $50 @ Fry's. I have not read a review of it yet, but it would seem to have improved upon what was the major short coming of the R15, cabinet resonance. The rear port might also help with its low end.

I'd love to read another review if your up to it.
post #36 of 50 Old 03-31-2007, 07:19 AM

I am, inessence, reposting this. I posted this in the HTIB alternatives thread, but I also wanted to post this here since it was this review of the ARXP62's that convinced me to order my speaker setup:

I have lurked on the Avs Forums for many years. I am a big HTPC guy so I have used these forums for many years for that purpose. I have never believed in HTIB. Just never have. My parents have an HTIB and I hate it (also it is sony, so that doesn't help), but for them they aren't going to know the difference (or care). I put together my first "system" in college from about 1999-2000. I started off with a good set of fronts and a loaner set of surrounds and center and then added the other "parts". Problem is, I did a lousy job. I went all JBL, but different series of speakers that all have different DB sensitivity. I had Decade Series fronts with 92! DB sensitivity, and an HLS center with 88 and then some crappy 500 series surrounds with 86. I have always wanted to replace them all, but now I am married and own a house, etc etc and so I started to think that I was going to be stuck with an HTIB due to cost (let's face it once you are married....). Then I found this thread (and a few others here at Avs Forums) and the Acoustic Research ARVP25's sounded like the ticket (it also helped that I have bought from Mcminone before and they just sent me a 10% coupon) and ordered 2 sets. I also found the ARXP24C at Ebay for 63 delivered (rather than 74 thru JR). All told, my 5 speakers only cost me about 161 bucks for a very decent 5 speaker setup (I have a Velodyn CHT8? sub that should work just fine). I already have plans to pick up the ARXP62's if they go on sale or I just break down so that I can have a nice 7.1 system when I update my receiver (I was going to buy an Onkyo SR504, but then I read in a forum that the SR505 was going to have HDMI switching, not sure if that is true, but worth waiting to see).

Thank you for all your help (whether you realised it or not)!!!
post #37 of 50 Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Any idea how these would stack up to the Polk Monitor 30's or Klipsch B-2's?

Also, anyone tried the center with these?

Thanks
post #38 of 50 Old 05-05-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avr5700 View Post

I'm not exactly sure what a stressed tweeter would sound like, short of a strong but short spike followed by the complete loss of high frequency reproduction...

I have noticed that 100 dollar speakers seem to sound shrill at higher volumes, beginning around 90 dB .... whereas speakers with higher quality tweeters and crossovers seem to be able to handle 100 dB average (or so) without sounding shrill.

This is a generalization - i know, some speakers just sound shrill regardless. For example, a 40,000 dollar pair of MBLs will sound great even at 110 dB, you may feel a some discomfort because of the sheer volume, but you will know its your ears and not the system. Now my $2500 dollar audio system starts giving out around 97 dB ... My previous $1000 dollar system gave out around 90 dB...

But I was wondering when these speakers start sounding shrill and/or unpleasant. given decent electronics...
post #39 of 50 Old 05-05-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post

I already have plans to pick up the ARXP62's if they go on sale or I just break down so that I can have a nice 7.1 system when I update my receiver (I was going to buy an Onkyo SR504, but then I read in a forum that the SR505 was going to have HDMI switching, not sure if that is true, but worth waiting to see).

Hmmm the 500 series is kind of weak, power wise.
YOur speakers will definitely sound audibly better if you go for a nice 30-35 pound receiver
post #40 of 50 Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Hmmm the 500 series is kind of weak, power wise.
YOur speakers will definitely sound audibly better if you go for a nice 30-35 pound receiver

oh, they are selling them by the pound nowadays?
post #41 of 50 Old 05-22-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I was about to buy some CHT Front Rows as well but found the ARXP62's + the 242 center for almost the same price as Velodyne is selling the set for, so I went with them.

How will they sound through a Onkyo TX-SR604?

"To do a 'Kabob' you have to be both a tease, and a cockblocker. So the person you 'Kabob' gets his/her hopes up only to end up being severely disappointed." -jammybastard

Xbox Live GT - I Kabob I
post #42 of 50 Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 PM

I just ordered some ARXP62's and the ARXP242C. For the price I wanted to get 6 ARXP62's so I could complete a 7.0 setup but then I realized for my apartment the 62's are just too big in size for surround speakers. The smallest XP model on the AR website is the ARXP42 but as with most other speakers there, there are no dimensions. So what's some good matching surround speakers for the ARXP62's? And most importantly, where can I buy them?
post #43 of 50 Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
The ARXP42 is the same size as the VP24 which is still pretty big. They sell the VP24 on ebay and etronics.
Dims. : 11.4" H x 5.9" W x 10.5" D

How small do you need to go? Maybe something like this will do the trick?
http://dealyard.com/product/ELAAR402B

Afro GT
post #44 of 50 Old 05-26-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

How small do you need to go? Maybe something like this will do the trick?
http://dealyard.com/product/ELAAR402B

I think those would be an okay size. I can't find out anywhere on the web how many ohms they are though. A salesperson at BB said that in finding surround speakers, I needed to make sure the ohms were the same (8) and try to get close in Sensitivity dB. Is that correct? If those are 8 ohms, would those be the best match?
post #45 of 50 Old 05-26-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 353
You don't need to have the same sensitivity. My Athena towers have higher sensitivity than the center or bookshelf speakers. That's what channel level adjustments are for.

Most likely 8ohms but call to be sure. They've got a toll free number 866-320-DEAL (3325)

The price even gets better w/free shipping.
http://www.outlettrail.com/acoustic-...ers-black.html

Afro GT
post #46 of 50 Old 05-26-2007, 09:51 AM

Thanks. Yes, I discovered that cheaper link too.
post #47 of 50 Old 06-01-2007, 08:13 AM

Okay, obviously the AR402B speakers are not meant to be my surround speakers to match with the ARXP62 speakers. I have tried ordering them from 2 difference places and both places have had to cancel the orders since it turned out they didn't have any. I am hoping to buy 4 (2 pair) so it was going to be nice getting these others for <$100. Any other suggestions as to some inexpensive surround speakers that match well?
post #48 of 50 Old 06-05-2007, 05:53 AM

I received my ARXP62's last night and they are huge! I ordered them before I got my entertainment center and was surprised they didn't fit on a shelf in my entertainment center's tower stands like I wanted. Even the ARXP242C was big enough where I'm going to have to take a shelf off just to get it in the TV stand.

But now I have a dilemma as to where to put the 62's. Here's a picture right now.

I wanted to put them on the middle shelf on each side but they're too tall to stand vertically. So I have 3 choices.
1. Leave them where they are next to the TV on the TV stand.
2. Lay them flat on the middle shelf on each side.
3. Put them on the very top shelf on each side.

What would be best?
Thanks,
Jeff
post #49 of 50 Old 06-05-2007, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post

oh, they are selling them by the pound nowadays?

With the possible exception of the new digitally-amped receivers, weight is probably the best determinant of sound quality, believe it or not.

A heavy component called the transformer provides ALL the power in a receiver, the bigger that transformer is, the more instantaneous power is available to the all the amp sections.

And to house a larger transformer, you need a heavy frame. The other components need to be scaled up to handle the power of the larger transformer, the manufacturer needs to use larger metal heat sinks, etc.

------------

So yes, that used 40 pound Pioneer on Craigslist will give you FAR better sound than a new 20 pound Onkyo at Best Buy, just make sure it has DTS
post #50 of 50 Old 10-18-2007, 07:53 PM

long time lurker here...any one know the size measurements for the ARXP242C? can't seem to find that info online. i know the XP62 are 12" deep so they wouldn't fit on my shelf as well. anyone using nice stands for these right now?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page