post #1 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

Check out that in room response

I've been loving my pair. I don't know of ANY $1600 speaker that is even close to these.

Let's keep this civilized people, they are just speakers but these are market changing speakers if you ask me.

A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I can not wait to hear these. In fact, I have not heard anything negative about them.
I only wish that Mark would some day re-consider re-releasing them in piano rosewood perhaps in the distant future.

Craig
A very satisfied Rocket Owner.

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #3 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am so there! I need to find someone with a pair in LA, so I can hear them ...

I could probably give up my 5.1 Rocket collection, and be able to afford 2 of these ...and not miss the rear and center channels all that much ...
post #4 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

I can not wait to hear these. In fact, I have not heard anything negative about them.
I only wish that Mark would some day re-consider re-releasing them in piano rosewood perhaps in the distant future.

Craig
A very satisfied Rocket Owner.

err it HAS been released in piano rosewood..
post #5 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

But sold out.

It was a limited run. I love mine

A man cannot make him laugh - but that's no marvel; he drinks no wine.
post #6 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Does anyone know if there is a plan to release a surround speaker with similar drivers? I dont want to start a home theater setup with these with no matching surrounds. I am considering three of them for the fronts.

On a separate note , is there no concern that the planar mid and tweeter is too "fast" to blend well with the cone woofers? How do they get around that?
post #7 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

These are the surrounds
Seriously, these are mostly 2 channel speakers, though I believe AV123 has larger versions of these in design, and the petite 95 lb mini could be used in the rear of such a setup.

Or you could find some colorless speakers for surrounds, and maybe a center, and roll your own. But at the moment, these being marketed as 2 channel music speakers, like most high end ribbon speakers.

Integrating ribbons and cones just requires tuning the phase and such, also i suspect that the "swept back" cabinet design helps in this area as well..
post #8 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Other speakers can well meet that, and possibly are within spitting distance of the price of these speakers. Not saying they're bad, but this isn't going to turn the world on its head. And I've heard some worrisome things about build quality and durability... Jury is perhaps still out on the reliability of the whole package on some of these Chinese speakers although I am very interested in them myself.

my NADs are new
post #9 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn! I somehow missed this speakers release as the mini title made me think it was some sort of tiny speaker! I hope I can listen to them soon...anyone in Utah getting it?

Regards

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #10 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien View Post

Other speakers can well meet that, and possibly are within spitting distance of the price of these speakers. Not saying they're bad, but this isn't going to turn the world on its head. And I've heard some worrisome things about build quality and durability... Jury is perhaps still out on the reliability of the whole package on some of these Chinese speakers although I am very interested in them myself.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss any of the above with me...

Most humbly... and with thanks...

mls

mlsav123@mac.com

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #11 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Build quality problems and av123 speakers are not things that commonly go together. :-)
I have tested various of their speakers and they are built like tanks so I dont think this is gonna be any different.

Regards

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #12 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Schifter View Post

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss any of the above with me...

Most humbly... and with thanks...

mls

mlsav123@mac.com

Just sharing what I've heard from people I've come to trust and who have seen early samples of these. I'd personally love to hear a number of your speakers as I think they solidly have established themselves as good performers for the money. At the same time I'm getting out of the habit of internet direct, although there are a lot of good things there.

my NADs are new
post #13 of 141 Old 12-23-2006, 10:29 PM

blkwrxwgn,

I bet you are liking those piano rosewood Mini's.

I am breaking in my new pair of rosewood Mini's and they sound awesome! I have been comparing them directly to my Von Schwiekert VR-2's and am very impressed with what I hear. I would have to say the Mini's ribbon tweeter and midrange dominate. The only reason I am leaning toward the Von's for a HT set-up is because there is no center or surrounds out. I know people are going to say pick up three more Mini's, but they take up some floorspace as well as electrical connections.

Take care,

Jason
post #14 of 141 Old 12-24-2006, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Hmmm...
I would be curious as to what those speakers are.

Quote:

Just sharing what I've heard from people I've come to trust and who have seen early samples of these. I'd personally love to hear a number of your speakers as I think they solidly have established themselves as good performers for the money. At the same time I'm getting out of the habit of internet direct, although there are a lot of good things there.

Interesting to here your take with internet speakers. I did an awful lot of demoing and when push came to shove, the only speakers to me that compared with sound and price was the Paradigm Studio series. The Studio Series was quite a bit more in the long run.

As someone did point out, there was indeed a limited run on the Piano Rosewood models.
Still hoping for that piano Rosewood finish to get re-released in the future.

Craig

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
post #15 of 141 Old 12-24-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Would having three of these across the front possibly load the room with too much bass? I already have a bad resonance in the 60-85 hz range that I have to try treatments soon to get rid of.
post #16 of 141 Old 12-24-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Would having three of these across the front possibly load the room with too much bass? I already have a bad resonance in the 60-85 hz range that I have to try treatments soon to get rid of.

Please remember that the variable phase and gain will help out a lot when trying to tame room issues...

Thank you as well for your e-mail - well received -

As mentioned there will be a version of this speaker just like what you see - but without the "hump" for the powered woofer cavity... This model will be easily wall-mountable... again... just picture the baffle without the rear cavity...

Many thanks...

Merry Christmas...

mls
LL

Founder and President
av123 / Rocket Loudspeakers
Perpetual Technologies
post #17 of 141 Old 12-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Advanced Member

any shootout comparisons yet?
post #18 of 141 Old 12-24-2006, 11:32 PM

http://av123forum.com/showthread.php...highlight=mini

Personally, I couldn't do a better job than the reviewer in expressing his finding(s) about the Mini.

To add to this, I previously had several auditions between the VR4Jr (not MKII) and the Onix Reference 3 and I ended up got myself a pair of the Reference 3.

That was then and this is now, I no longer have the Reference 3 and honestly, after listening to the Mini last weekend for several hours non-stop, I can say that they will be here to stay and be the reference speakers in one of my two 2ch sets.
post #19 of 141 Old 12-24-2006, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Hmmm...
I would be curious as to what those speakers are.

Interesting to here your take with internet speakers. I did an awful lot of demoing and when push came to shove, the only speakers to me that compared with sound and price was the Paradigm Studio series. The Studio Series was quite a bit more in the long run.

As someone did point out, there was indeed a limited run on the Piano Rosewood models.
Still hoping for that piano Rosewood finish to get re-released in the future.

Craig

Me to! the only speakers I can think of is the ACI Sapphire XL and they wont play nearly as low,the NHT Classic 4s maybe and Onix's own Rocket 450s which are a stunning bargain at $899 and then I would say these speakers only get close.
post #20 of 141 Old 12-24-2006, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

With AV123 product launches, you can read about almost every issue any customer has, right there on their forum. The company is like an open book. One thing I am sure of, that if Mark released it, it sounds superb in all the tests. Now customers will have different environments, and I am sure there will be some issues, but their support fixes that stuff fast.
post #21 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

With AV123 product launches, you can read about almost every issue any customer has, right there on their forum. The company is like an open book. One thing I am sure of, that if Mark released it, it sounds superb in all the tests. Now customers will have different environments, and I am sure there will be some issues, but their support fixes that stuff fast.

The guy that blew his tweeter,was running a frequency sweep at full reference levels and the speakers weren't even broken in and they were straight out the box,thats a no no for any speaker and any guy that buys a speaker like that ought to no better,that was just plain stupidity.Thats the only issue I've ever heard of,and as far as i can see its being blown way out of proportion this isn't the 1st time this topic has come up.
post #22 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'd encourage anyone tired of the standard "box speaker" paradigm to check out some of the new things coming from Mark adn **********. From open baffles to line arrays and even the mini, Mark is doing things the mainstream big boys like Klipsch or Paradigm don't have the courage to do. Sure the super highend guys and custom builders have been making these things, but who can afford those guys? Mark is doing a great job bringing this cutting edge stuff to the masses.

Hell i own a Rocket setup but I'm probably gonna buy the x-series open baffle because I've always wanted to hear that kind of speaker but could never afford them before. I don't think there are even any decent DIY designs out there that can built for the price Mark is asking, at least not with the kind of cabinet finish Mark will undoubtably offer.
post #23 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep!

Fun and fascinating stuff they are coming up with at incredible prices. Too bad I have no room for most of their new stuff. I may have to buy my ex (who has the house) a pair just to hear them.
post #24 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 07:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Merry Xmas Everyone, I am listening to Kenny G's christmas music on these right now. These are the Piano Rosewood that Mark produced on a limited run:

I am very pleased with my purchase of these very beautiful unique speakers. It was my first purchase of internet purchase only related electronics. I have researched Mark's products off & on for over 3 years. So, as you can tell it wasn't a spontaneous purchase.

I have other photos here if your interested:

http://www.av123forum.com/photopost/...at=500&thumb=1

and a Happy New Year to all.

Dennis
post #25 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 08:13 AM

Merry Christmas!

For my first post I'd just like to say that AV123's products are top notch at incredible prices, but the service is what astounds me. Here's a little story to illustrate what I'm referring to...

Recently an AV123 forum member bought a used pair of Onix speakers from a private seller, but there was a problem with one of the crossovers when he received them. The buyer made a thread on the AV123 forum, Mark saw it, asked the buyer to email him....problem solved! I'm guessing Mark had agreed to replace the damaged crossover free of charge judging by the buyer's reaction to what Mark did. Naturally the buyer stated that Mark had a customer for life. This is a level of customer support that I've never heard of before. Once you buy from AV123 you are in the "family" for life. Sounds to me an aweful lot like being "made" by the mob! I guess that makes me a "made man"! LOL!
post #26 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Outstanding Dennis!

The only thing I has purchased (to date) from AV123 is a pair of ULW-10 subs and can report they are very well made.
post #27 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 08:47 AM

I got a pair of Piano Gloss Black Minis for Christmas, and they are now all of 2 hours old. They will be going into the same system which currently has a pair of the outstanding ACI Sapphire XL's/JL Audio Fathom 112.

My wife ROCKS ! ...
post #28 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

I too would have to add that the Mini's are the "real-deal" IMO when it comes to a speaker that provides top notch performance for the dollar. Over the past 4 years I have had almost every speaker that AV123 has produced as well as a number of different speakers from ACI, Quad, and Joseph Audio to name a few. I can't think of another speaker that has been as good from top to bottom as the Mini's are...Onix Reference 3's included. The ACI Sapphire XL's are the only other performer that I would consider to provide similar performance for the money...they fall short of the Mini's in the lower octaves...say from 50hz and below...the Mini's with their powered woofers extend flat to 27hz and are 3dB down at 24hz in my room...more then enough extension for most music...pipe organ music excluded...for anyone on the fence on these...get off...they are a great deal at $1999...I would be incredibly happy with the value...at $1599... I'm shocked. Anyone in the Chicagoland area wishing to audition these is more than welcome to come by and take then for a test drive....

Merry Christmas!
post #29 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice little Christmas gift craig

The minis sound interesting! What is going on with Rocket Canada btw? Heard of it a few years ago, then I think the idea died...

Question for Mark, why the built in powered woofers though? Will there be a Strata model without the powered woofers? I'm asking because one of the main points I see with subs is that they can be placed in the optimal position in the room. Having the 'subs' built in in the towers somewhat negates that advantage. Yet, I see more and more speakers with builtin subs too... Why go that direction?
post #30 of 141 Old 12-25-2006, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsub View Post

I got a pair of Piano Gloss Black Minis for Christmas, and they are now all of 2 hours old. They will be going into the same system which currently has a pair of the outstanding ACI Sapphire XL's/JL Audio Fathom 112.

My wife ROCKS ! ...

Yes she does!

Can we look forward to a review?
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page