What speakers are on your want to audition list? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What speakers are on your want to audition list? I'm sure that everyone here would love to hear a certain speaker. What would be the top5 of that list?

And as bonus, the last speaker you finally heard that was on that list, what was your reaction?

Me, for 2ch. in no particular order:
Tyler Linbrooks
Salk Sound Veracity series
Onix's Strata Mini
NHT XD + new line
fifth... hmm.... Lets say Magnepans, its been a while since I last heard them... Or Gallo Refs..

Last pair that was on my list were Ascends, got the 340SEs, and theywere actually better than I thought they would be. Bought for 2nd system and they stole the spot in my main system... And I later sold my original mains because they didn't get that much listening time anyhow! Since they cost more tahn the ascends, they paid for the pair, and I even had some $$ left

Oh and also if some have any comments on speakers on people's must audition list, by all means, comment away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 70
That's a good starting list.

I end up wanting to listen to stuff that pop up on here all the time....especially the stuff that lingers and is not the flavor of the month.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #3 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
OK I will play.

I want to audition:

Ascends 340se
b&w 800 series (just out of curiosity)
strata mini (dying to listen to them)

Recentely demoed the b&w 603s and was a major dissapointment.

Regards

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #4 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

curtis: Whats on your list?
post #5 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 11:47 AM
tfs

I'm listening to a pair of salks right now.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I agree with the Linbrooks.
I'd also like to hear anything and everything from Selah Audio.

Anyone see a pattern. I'm really facinated by the small guy who builds custom speakers partly just for the love of it and not only for profit. I get the impression that these guys really enjoy creating works of art.

I'm a little turned off by most of the name brands even though I'm sure there are many good speaks from these companies. Just my own bias.

tim

Regards, TFS
My setup:
post #6 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandarf View Post

curtis: Whats on your list?

As of late....

Pretty much the same as yours. Throw the HTDs in there as well, I am still contemplating ordering a pair of the Level 3 bookshelves and possibly Middies.

I will be at CES in a couple of weeks.....there will be lots to hear there.

-curtis

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #7 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena View Post

b&w 800 series (just out of curiosity)

Recentely demoed the b&w 603s and was a major dissapointment.

IMO, 800's are quite a step up in sound quality over the 600's, but the cost will make your eyes go buggy.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #8 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Liked: 14
I would like to hear some of the speakers that have had big claims made for them, either by others (X-LS, Ascend) or by their makers (Totem, Wilson.) It would also be fun to hear some of the really exotic stuff (with equally exotic prices), such as the B&W Nautilus.
post #9 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Im reaching here,I've heard so much but,for me I would like to spend time at home with the Minis and the LS6s and LS9s and the upcoming super X speakers,the only Onix's I havent heard and some arent even out yet,and Salk,and lots and lots of time with all the Tylers would be on my wish list from what i've heard from Ty's speakers so far is jaw dropping and lots of time with the ACI Sapphire XL's and the Odyssey Loralei's although I've heard both of them,but theirs nothing like spending quality time at home with a speaker for a lengthy time period.
post #10 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 12:56 PM

Harbeth
Devore
Living Voice

I am lucky in that I live in the Bay Area. I have been able to hear many/most of the main players.

I would like to hear these three as they have gotten raves but I have yet to hear them. A dealer in SF carries two of the three (Living Voice and Devore). I may need to take a drive to hear these some day soon.

Rick
post #11 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA View Post

Harbeth
Devore
Living Voice

I am lucky in that I live in the Bay Area. I have been able to hear many/most of the main players.

I would like to hear these three as they have gotten raves but I have yet to hear them. A dealer in SF carries two of the three (Living Voice and Devore). I may need to take a drive to hear these some day soon.

Rick

I've missed the Bay area specifically for that,and of course many other reasons all great things,but im happy I will be back there for good in the next couple of months.A man that loves audio in the Bay area is like a kid in the candy store,by the way all of those are very nice choices to audition,you will be in audio heaven with the Devore's,enjoy!
post #12 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

ahh...the Devores....yes, I would like to add that to my list, as well as the Era Design.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #13 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

ahh...the Devores....yes, I would like to add that to my list, as well as the Era Design.

I hear you on the Devores. What about the Magico Minis? When ya coming down to Oceanside?
post #14 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

I hear you on the Devores. What about the Magico Minis? When ya coming down to Oceanside?

I am going to seek those out at CES in a couple of weeks. I will let you know about them.

In all.....a lot of stuff I want to hear. I can't narrow it to five. It is a matter of getting lucky and finding a place to hear them.....especially in a good setting and comparatively with other stuff.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

post #15 of 201 Old 12-27-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Linkwitz Orions
Salks
Devore
Magico Minis
post #16 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 08:22 AM

"What speakers are on your want to audition list"?

For my 2ch system that will fit in my room;

ACI Sapphire XL
Focal Chorus 826V
MA GS20
Mini Strata
NHT Classic Four

The last speaker I listened to just for the hell of it, were the big Legacy Audio Focus 20/20's
Effortless presentation of power with bass to die for.

I would love to listen to the Legacy Whisper...
post #17 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Couldn't afford but want to hear anyway:
Focus Audio FS-888
Gamut Audio L5

In the realm of possibility:
DLS R66
Usher CP-6371
LSA tower

More likely because of low price:
Quad 22L2
Swan 6.1

AV Enthusiast
post #18 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max190 View Post

I would love to listen to the Legacy Whisper...

I enjoy the irony of naming a 5' tall, 210lb speaker with dual 15" woofers the "Whisper".
post #19 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
For the first time ever, I actually have NO list of speakers that I want to audition. I'm a couple months away from my 1 year anniversay of owning my Super 8s (DeVore) and don't plan to have another audition list for quite a while The irony here is that I actually didn't have much interest in giving them a listen once my dealer got them in....I thought he was just trying to take another shot at getting my business since I wasn't all that impressed by the Von Schweikert VR-4jrs. I had no idea I was about to hear the perfect speaker for my system

HOWEVER, there are a few speakers I'd like to hear just because I've heard so much about them. On that list would be the Salk HT-3s, the VMPS RM-40s, the Magnepan 20.1s, and the Zu Druids.
post #20 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

For the first time ever, I actually have NO list of speakers that I want to audition.

I know where you are coming from there. Any future auditioning that I do will be purely for fun or out of curiosity. I have no need to ever buy speakers again.
post #21 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

I know where you are coming from there. Any future auditioning that I do will be purely for fun or out of curiosity. I have no need to ever buy speakers again.

Too bad I/we can't say the same about amps, sources, video displays, etc!
post #22 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 AM
tfs

Quote:

B&W fanboy. Just kidding. I'm glad you're happy with your speakers. I've been amused by the arguements you've had in other threads. At least you stick to your guns!

Regards, TFS
My setup:
post #23 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Too bad I/we can't say the same about amps, sources, video displays, etc!

Too true!
post #24 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfs View Post

B&W fanboy. Just kidding. I'm glad you're happy with your speakers. I've been amused by the arguements you've had in other threads. At least you stick to your guns!

When you hear speakers that sound as great to you as mine do to me, I am sure you will feel the same way about them.
post #25 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you hear speakers that sound as great to you as mine do to me, I am sure you will feel the same way about them.

I don't think thats possible. Its like "traveling faster than the speed of light" kind of thing, people can theorize about it, but it probably will never happen, not in our life times anyhow.

Quote:

For the first time ever, I actually have NO list of speakers that I want to audition. [..] HOWEVER, there are a few speakers I'd like to hear just because I've heard so much about them. On that list would be the Salk HT-3s, the VMPS RM-40s, the Magnepan 20.1s, and the Zu Druids.

Hmmm... There seems to be some confusion about 'audition'. In no way does audition mean "buy", its just a short trial to judge the performance of the speakers

I don't think I could stand the Zu Druid... That looks bad...

About Devore, anyone has any measurements? The only I cuold find were 'silverbacks'. Why is there so much interest in the brand? The only time I've heard about them was on that 6mooon review of the Gibbon 7.1 I think it was... (the ones which look like they made an extra hole for a 2nd tweeter and covered it with a plate...) Are they supposed to be pretty well known?
post #26 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm... There seems to be some confusion about 'audition'. In no way does audition mean "buy", its just a short trial to judge the performance of the speakers

I don't think I could stand the Zu Druid... That looks bad...

About Devore, anyone has any measurements? The only I cuold find were 'silverbacks'. Why is there so much interest in the brand? The only time I've heard about them was on that 6mooon review of the Gibbon 7.1 I think it was... (the ones which look like they made an extra hole for a 2nd tweeter and covered it with a plate...) Are they supposed to be pretty well known?

I guess when I think of "auditioning" a speaker, I think about the end goal of buying something new. I'm at the point now where I would love to hear a few products for fun and curiosity, but I'm not in research mode. Like many others on here, when I'm interested in making a purchase of some sort, I research the living hell out of it, including (with regard to audio gear) in-person demos. All I really meant to say was that I am, for the first time, cmpletely content with my speakers and have absolutely no desire to change.

As far as why there is so much interest in the DeVore monkeys, I guess you'll just have to hear them for yourself
post #27 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Audition: Sure when you want to buy something, you audition before, but you can want to hear without wanting to buy, just for curiosity's sake for example. I went to some hifi shows to audition a bunch of speakers, amps & stuff... Had no intention of buying anything Anyhow, semantics.

I somewhat thought about Devore for my 5th choice, but right now, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they seem to be too... rare... to be considered mainstream...

Well maybe they're growing, but when I need to travel 5000km to go from eastern canada to western canada (BC) to find a dealer... Well... Thats not what I call readily available... So they're supposed to be exceptionnal in their price points?
post #28 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I don't think thats possible. Its like "traveling faster than the speed of light" kind of thing, people can theorize about it, but it probably will never happen, not in our life times anyhow.

Now just imagine what would happen if I were ever to hear something I actually like better than the 705s. It might trigger some sort of cosmic event (like a black hole that swallows the galaxy.)
post #29 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Audition: Sure when you want to buy something, you audition before, but you can want to hear without wanting to buy, just for curiosity's sake for example. I went to some hifi shows to audition a bunch of speakers, amps & stuff... Had no intention of buying anything Anyhow, semantics.

I somewhat thought about Devore for my 5th choice, but right now, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but they seem to be too... rare... to be considered mainstream...

Well maybe they're growing, but when I need to travel 5000km to go from eastern canada to western canada (BC) to find a dealer... Well... Thats not what I call readily available... So they're supposed to be exceptionnal in their price points?

For a very conventional looking loudspeaker (and quite pricey), they have an intensely loyal following. I am curious to see what all the fuss is about.
post #30 of 201 Old 12-28-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I get a kick out of listening to different speakers. It is interesting to experience what others like, and whatelse is out there that I like.

-curtis

Help beat breast cancer!

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page