post #931 of 1051 Old 02-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

You can check the woofer by connecting it's terminals to an AA battery. Just use a battery and a paperclip and touch the solder joints. If the cone moves the woofer is ok.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. The cone doesn't move. All the wires appear to be intact. In fact, I can hear the battery click from the midrange when I connect the battery to the woofer.

Who ever heard of a Thiel woofer blowing?

I suppose the odds of getting a replacement woofer from the New Thiel Audio  for this old speaker are slim to none.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 1051 Old 02-20-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it. The cone doesn't move. All the wires appear to be intact. In fact, I can hear the battery click from the midrange when I connect the battery to the woofer.

I suppose the odds of getting a replacement woofer from the New Thiel Audio  for this old speaker are slim to none.

Worth a try to ask them. Please let us know how that goes if you do.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #933 of 1051 Old 02-21-2014, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Bad luck.

Give them a call otherwise you never know.

If you kill a woofer during playback it will be noticeable..You would surely remember the event.

More likely is that the adcom amplifier you mentioned (with the blown tweeters issues) has/had a problem causing DC on it's output. Too much dc kills a woofer and the only thing you would notice is the plop when the woofer returns to it's center position when the voice coil burns through.
post #934 of 1051 Old 02-22-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Interesting note, check the Thiel website they no longer list the SCS4T floor standing speaker. Only the 1.7,2.7, and 3.7 are there. Which one is next in line??rolleyes.gif
post #935 of 1051 Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

It seems they instituted some major changes on January 1.  In December all of those products were still up:

http://web.archive.org/web/20131203084400/http://www.thielaudio.com/

I tried to order some 2.7's in Ebony last week and was informed that that finish was discontinued as of January 1.  The only available finishes are now Amberwood, Black Ash, Dark Cherry, Natural Cherry, Satin Black, and Walnut.

Appears that they are streamlining options and eliminating product lines to reduce costs, improve efficiency, and in preparation for transitioning to their new line.  

I just ordered a pair of 3.7's from Crutchfield that should arrive next week.

Clock is ticking . . .

post #936 of 1051 Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Congratulations! You'll love the 3.7s Just give them time to really break in.
Bradley Fried likes this.
post #937 of 1051 Old 02-22-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
And an amplifier that can do at least 400Watt into 4 Ohm to get them really going. smile.gif
post #938 of 1051 Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Quote:

Worth a try to ask them. Please let us know how that goes if you do.

Tim at Thiel had me measure the resistance of the woofer (infinite) and through the crossover (25 ohms). Diagnosis: blown woofer. They do have a replacement available for $175.

It makes me feel better that, despite all the changes at Thiel, they still have responsive customer service.

post #939 of 1051 Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tim at Thiel had me measure the resistance of the woofer (infinite) and through the crossover (25 ohms). Diagnosis: blown woofer. They do have a replacement available for $175.

It makes me feel better that, despite all the changes at Thiel, they still have responsive customer service.

That is MOST EXCELLENT news for you in this situation, and for Thiel owners, in general! Thanks for sharing.

post #940 of 1051 Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
That is MOST EXCELLENT news for you in this situation, and for Thiel owners, in general! Thanks for sharing.

Better yet, Tim told me "don't worry, we have a large stock of those drivers, so if ever another woofer goes out we will be able to replace them for a long long time."

nathan_h likes this.
post #941 of 1051 Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
hi

i have few sub in my home right now , thiel ss22, martin logan decent i (10 inch x 3 ), elac 211d (10 x1 ,12 x 1 )and did borrow jl110 n 112 from my friend. i do also play with many different brand 's sub like velodyne or sunfire ,but these are the only few that suited in my place (150 feet) . i like super fast react .......i don't need quantity but quality .

my english not that good ,just wanna share my happiness,i bought a second hand ss2 1 month ago because wanna blend in better with my center n front ,but the sound really surprised me ...........very very real n accurate as i have listened a jazz bluray concert from diana krell since hd audio but i never notice the bass guitar sounds like a bass guitar but not only a sound of bass ,the high fidelity just makes everything more clear, the driver have strong punch that most expensive sub will do , but this ss2.2 was brilliant ,especially when it pull back , it makes a huge contrast from silent, it always under control n pull back super fast .i think thats the hardest thing for a sub ,never boom or out of control . even compare to the jl 110 or 112 in my exact same system .the quantity may less than 112 but the quality was at least 20 % better , the detail was so clear nomatter how you turn the volume , the most obvious result was that if i turn the JL very loud, it will cover the center or the front 's sound but ss2 wont . just to be fair , JL was already so great since they step in ht. but for music ,thiel hands down .the only disavantage was the price . if the price can go down , i guess thiel 's sub can be real famous in the world .

thanks
post #942 of 1051 Old 03-02-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claero View Post

hi

i have few sub in my home right now , thiel ss22, martin logan decent i (10 inch x 3 ), elac 211d (10 x1 ,12 x 1 )and did borrow jl110 n 112 from my friend. i do also play with many different brand 's sub like velodyne or sunfire ,but these are the only few that suited in my place (150 feet) . i like super fast react .......i don't need quantity but quality .

my english not that good ,just wanna share my happiness,i bought a second hand ss2 1 month ago because wanna blend in better with my center n front ,but the sound really surprised me ...........very very real n accurate as i have listened a jazz bluray concert from diana krell since hd audio but i never notice the bass guitar sounds like a bass guitar but not only a sound of bass ,the high fidelity just makes everything more clear, the driver have strong punch that most expensive sub will do , but this ss2.2 was brilliant ,especially when it pull back , it makes a huge contrast from silent, it always under control n pull back super fast .i think thats the hardest thing for a sub ,never boom or out of control . even compare to the jl 110 or 112 in my exact same system .the quantity may less than 112 but the quality was at least 20 % better , the detail was so clear nomatter how you turn the volume , the most obvious result was that if i turn the JL very loud, it will cover the center or the front 's sound but ss2 wont . just to be fair , JL was already so great since they step in ht. but for music ,thiel hands down .the only disavantage was the price . if the price can go down , i guess thiel 's sub can be real famous in the world .

thanks

Yep the Thiel subs are amazing. I had the JL Audio 113, upgraded to the SW1 (=SS2), and was amazed at how much more accurate and articulate the Thiel was.

I've been hunting for a second SW1 ever since, to run a dual set up for more even seat to seat response. But haven't found one, and a new SS2 is (as you imply) too expensive. So I'm actually going to sell my SW1 and suffer through two smaller subs....

post #943 of 1051 Old 03-03-2014, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If you do watch movies the f113 is an excellent addition but for stereo music purposes the SS2/2.2 or SW1 are hard to beat.
post #944 of 1051 Old 03-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Gotta' agree with Woof Woof. I'm a stereo-music-only nut, and needed a subwoofer.

My new SS2.2 is just getting broken in. (center location between my 2.7s). It certainly makes a difference on classical and organ music.
post #945 of 1051 Old 03-29-2014, 08:14 AM

Regarding the changes at the company, 3.7's are available at a 10% discount off of $7000 or roughly $6300. Is this the last of the "real" ones or the first of the "newer" ones, and does that make a difference?

post #946 of 1051 Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by panmanbrooks View Post

Regarding the changes at the company, 3.7's are available at a 10% discount off of $7000 or roughly $6300. Is this the last of the "real" ones or the first of the "newer" ones, and does that make a difference?

you do know that is EACH, MSRP is around $14k a pair in 'non-exotic' wood/finish. not sure what you mean by real or newer ones.
post #947 of 1051 Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 AM

Indeed, $7,000 each. The company is so well respected, and the 3.7's are so highly regarded, and some posts here are not complimentary to the new ownership, I'm wondering if purchasing now will get me speakers that were "real" meaning built to past standards, and a purchase later will result in a speaker that may not be as well regarded. I doubt that there is any answer to this. I'm adding a room to my house, I am getting advice from a local company on receiver purchase, speakers and placement for 7.1 using Denon AVR x4000. When we get to a 2 channel conversation, his first choice is the Thiel  3.7, with an added parasound A-21 amp.

This is my first foray into serious equipment, my first reaction is that going from a 15 year old Onkyo powering distributed  speakers through out the house, to Thiel 3.7 for critical listening may be too great a leap. Maybe I should ease into this new world, but I'm 60 so maybe I should just jump in, and if the Thiel's being sold today could be closer to the products that received such acclaim, that might just be the reason to skip the intermediate steps.

post #948 of 1051 Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panmanbrooks View Post

Indeed, $7,000 each. The company is so well respected, and the 3.7's are so highly regarded, and some posts here are not complimentary to the new ownership, I'm wondering if purchasing now will get me speakers that were "real" meaning built to past standards, and a purchase later will result in a speaker that may not be as well regarded. I doubt that there is any answer to this. I'm adding a room to my house, I am getting advice from a local company on receiver purchase, speakers and placement for 7.1 using Denon AVR x4000. When we get to a 2 channel conversation, his first choice is the Thiel  3.7, with an added parasound A-21 amp.

This is my first foray into serious equipment, my first reaction is that going from a 15 year old Onkyo powering distributed  speakers through out the house, to Thiel 3.7 for critical listening may be too great a leap. Maybe I should ease into this new world, but I'm 60 so maybe I should just jump in, and if the Thiel's being sold today could be closer to the products that received such acclaim, that might just be the reason to skip the intermediate steps.

They are almost assuredly built to the right standards.

That said: Ten percent discount is very modest. If you love the way they sound, get them.

If you are thinking about resale value, don't get them, or any other high end speaker at anywhere close to msrp, IMO -- especially a model being phased out.

If you have that kind of speaker budget, and have a passion for audio, I'd recommend dedicated a few weekends to listing to various speakers in showrooms.

post #949 of 1051 Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM

You have confirmed my initial thoughts. I have done some listening, I'll do some more. Thank you for the advice.

post #950 of 1051 Old 03-31-2014, 07:58 PM

Liked: 11

New guy here, have a pair of 1.6's I picked up about a year and a half ago, they treat me well. :)

post #951 of 1051 Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Welcome! polyghan.

I love Thiel speakers and will go ahead saying that these are the most truthful speakers out there.
post #952 of 1051 Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM

I recently found a pair of SCS3s to give my CS36 a break.  I don't know if the SCS4 sounds this good, but these are infectious.  Bought them used so one driver needed to go back to Thiel for a rebuild.  I'm pretty sure I saw a balsa former encasing the voice coil, and the woofer is reinforced with injection molded styrofoam.  Having only paid $500 for these (+stands) I would never have paid $400 for the driver rebuild, that is, had I not heard them play first.  I'm really throwing caution to the wind to think that Thiel will actually make this crazy coax driver (from 1999) come back sounding like my other one.

post #953 of 1051 Old 04-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
^^^^ The SCS4s are absolutely wonderful in their presentation and soundstage. The clarity with which they produce sound is astonishing to say the least, I can hear things in recordings that have never been there before. They are never in your face, instead they disappear into the room, and your listening to the artist playing live on stage in front of you. I love my SCS4s, but it's time to move on with my speaker evolution, so I have my eyes on some Legacy HD's, hoping to get a full helping of that next level in clarity and real-life sound imaging. My set is available on the AVS classified if anyone is interested.
post #954 of 1051 Old 04-26-2014, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.strata-gee.com/2014/04/24/thiel-audio-story-takes-new-troubling-turn/

Bad news. I wonder if we can even get spare/replacement drivers in the future..

They are selling the factory and all the CNC/machining tools and moving to Nashville. Not sure if there's a new factory (no positions open) or if they'll just outsource everything out to China.
post #955 of 1051 Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 53
One of 2 options. Design in America and build in Asia. Or have parts and cabinets made in Asia and put together in the USA. This will give them the ability to say Made In America. Also w/the selling of all that equipment it hard to see how they will be doing any restoration in the future.smile.gif
post #956 of 1051 Old 04-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Thank Goodness I bought my 2.7s and SS2.2 in time. BTW: Now they are broken in, the two-channel reproduction of classical music is superb.
post #957 of 1051 Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 PM

I shipped my SCS3 driver to Kentucky on April 12th and on April 24th Lana (who I think has been working for Thiel for at least 15 years) told me that they thought they might be able to turn around my driver but ...

Quote:
We are in the process of relocating our service department to another facility.  We expect to be up and operational within the next few weeks

I presume that would be Nashville TN and that's a 3hr 15min drive from Lexington KY.  I'm going to take a wild guess and presume there are only 2 people working at Thiel that are capable of rebuilding that driver.  Are either of those people moving to Nashville?  They certainly aren't going to do the insane commute.  Because I was too lazy to mail the driver a week earlier I may now be looking at a great center channel speaker instead of a great pair of mains.  Argh -- I already received my RITA int amp for these guys!

The sale of the CNC machines+bits does not suggest that Thiel unable to service their speaker drivers.  It does suggest that

a) they will not be producing new models in the same fashion

or

b) they simply will not be doing any of that work domestically

post #958 of 1051 Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 AM

My dealer just sent this to me. It's from a posting he received from Thiel.

We are excited to announce that we will be relocating our headquarters and manufacturing operations to Nashville, TN. Equipment is in transit and as soon as we have our new facilities up and running, we'll provide you with a behind the scenes look at all that is new with THIEL. 'Music City' promises to be a great new home for our organization!

Our customer service team and service department will remain in Lexington, KY working from a new facility. Lana Ruth, Manager of Sales Administration and Rob Gillum, Director of Manufacturing, with a combined 42 years of experience with THIEL, will remain as our primary points of contact for our valued customers and consumers.

We realize that there had been some speculation about our move circulated on the internet. We want to assure you that we have exciting plans for THIEL's very bright future and look forward to bringing this storied brand back to the forefront. We would like to thank our entire distribution channel for bearing with us as we get situated in Nashville.

Sincerely,

Your friends at THIEL Audio
post #959 of 1051 Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM

hmm, if both statements are true (Lana and Thiel's official statement) then I suppose the service dept might be moving elsewhere in Lexington?  Perhaps a smaller building?

My guess is that Mark Mason doesn't want the past to interfere with his vision of the future.  Lexington will continue to support Jim's designs and our warranties, and over in Nashville it will be an entirely different ship where no one knows more than Mark -- new employees, new products, essentially a new company.

post #960 of 1051 Old 04-29-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJThiel View Post

hmm, if both statements are true (Lana and Thiel's official statement) then I suppose the service dept might be moving elsewhere in Lexington?  Perhaps a smaller building?

My guess is that Mark Mason doesn't want the past to interfere with his vision of the future.  Lexington will continue to support Jim's designs and our warranties, and over in Nashville it will be an entirely different ship where no one knows more than Mark -- new employees, new products, essentially a new company.

I wonder if the new plant and equipment will be able to manufacture and restore the older and unique Thiel drivers, especially the coax.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page