Thiel Audio Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #991 of 1005 Old 08-23-2014, 05:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What are your guys thoughts on the Thiel SCS4T? My local hi-fi shop has a brand new pair for $1,000, thinking about pulling the trigger. Would pair with a NAD 356BEE.
traehekat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1005 Old 08-25-2014, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by traehekat View Post
What are your guys thoughts on the Thiel SCS4T? My local hi-fi shop has a brand new pair for $1,000, thinking about pulling the trigger. Would pair with a NAD 356BEE.
I use SCS4T's as the front left & right channels of my 7.2 system. I find their sound a little thin and would not use them full-range (i.e., without a subwoofer).
bweissman is offline  
post #993 of 1005 Old 08-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
 
wgerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Comments from the new CEO, interesting times lie ahead. Expect new product at CES, and I did not know they have stopped making speakers and are working their way through a bloated inventory. Explains some of the strange selections on Crutchfield. Apparently the SC4T is no more.








http://www.strata-gee.com/2014/07/31...mpelling-join/
wgerman is offline  
post #994 of 1005 Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Great interview. Thanks! for sharing wgerman. Thiel can easily survive off of their current CS 2.7 and CS 3.7 loudspeakers. These models are outstanding and will suit even the most critical critic.
JA Fant is offline  
post #995 of 1005 Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
As above, traehekat-
the model SCS4T is best mated w/ the ThielSmart SUB 2.2- Welcome!
JA Fant is offline  
post #996 of 1005 Old 09-30-2014, 01:07 PM
Senior Member
 
richardyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the new management is going after the 1%ers by placing ads in Worth magazine and will be at the Worth Wealth Summit at Greenwich this weekend giving away Thiel logo golf stuff and Olive and Sinclair Chocolate. Not a good ROI thing to do, IMHO. Wow, talk about company that is so out of touch with its own customers. Any Thiel owners read Worth magazine or even on their mailing list? Probably not. The CEO might be a 1%ers, but I doubt that majority of their customes are. Like I said before, bankruptcy or change ownership in 5yrs.

Last edited by richardyc; 09-30-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: no T-shirts, just golf stuff and chocolate.
richardyc is offline  
post #997 of 1005 Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post
Looks like the new management is going after the 1%ers by placing ads in Worth magazine and will be at the Worth Wealth Summit at Greenwich this weekend giving away Thiel T-shirts and golf stuff. Not a good ROI thing to do, IMHO. Wow, talk about company that is so out of touch with its own customers. Any Thiel owners read Worth magazine or even on their mailing list? Probably not. The CEO might be a 1%ers, but I doubt that majority of their customes are. Like I said before, bankruptcy or change ownership in 5yrs.
Also notice a New Logo. Another new CEO John Whittman. Check out the new ad on page 80 in this months Absolute Sound. 2015 will be the big kickoff to the new line. From what I heard the new line will be designed in America and built overseas. The new line up will have the same price range but w/the cheaper production costs which will generate a larger profit.
Class A is offline  
post #998 of 1005 Old 09-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Newbie
 
Bradley Fried's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Also notice a New Logo. Another new CEO John Whittman. Check out the new ad on page 80 in this months Absolute Sound. 2015 will be the big kickoff to the new line. From what I heard the new line will be designed in America and built overseas. The new line up will have the same price range but w/the cheaper production costs which will generate a larger profit.
It will be a sad thing if they do go that way. One of the greatest assets of Thiel has always been their capabilities in the areas of fabrication and manufacturing built up over years of investment in their people. I would have a hard time getting excited about buying a pair of Thiel speakers made in China. I prefer to give my money to companies who employ and invest in American workers. If we don't take care of our own, no one else will.
Bradley Fried is offline  
post #999 of 1005 Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Agreed Class A, Richard & Bradley- sad indeed.
JA Fant is offline  
post #1000 of 1005 Old 10-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Member
 
markus46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello all,

I have just purchased a pair of CS 2.7s - ebony with outrigger stands. A beautiful sight to behold
They were the dealers demo pair which he says had about 40 hours on them.

I got them home and started listening. I immediately noticed better bass and stereo image.
Unfortunately I also noticed some 'unpleasantness' in the upper mid frequencies. It's an ear piercing distortion in some cases. Again - this is only certain frequencies. Electric guitars, violins, trumpets etc... I am not playing at high volumes.
I did not notice this when I auditioned the speakers in the dealers room - but the music he played was very sparse.

The speakers they replaced were 38y.o Yamaha NS-1000 Monitors. There rest of the system is Meridian Sooloos streaming with an MS600 endpoint/dac
Wyred4Sound STP SE preamp and Krell FPB-200 power amp.

Is it possible the speakers are still breaking in? Anyone else experience anything like this with their Thiel CS 2.7/3.7 speakers?

Many thanks
Mark

Last edited by markus46; Yesterday at 01:14 PM.
markus46 is offline  
post #1001 of 1005 Old 10-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus46 View Post
Unfortunately I also noticed some 'unpleasantness' in the upper mid frequencies. It's an ear piercing distortion in some cases.
That doesn't sound good. Distortion doesn't occur during break-in. Is it possible your power amp is unhappy with the 4 ohm load?

EDIT: Oh wait, I just noticed you said Krell. Never mind.

Last edited by bweissman; 10-19-2014 at 05:22 PM.
bweissman is offline  
post #1002 of 1005 Old 10-19-2014, 05:47 PM
Member
 
markus46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wouldn't have thought the Krell would be a problem
The manual says at least 200 hours at moderately loud levels. 300-400 hours to fully break in.

I guess my question is could the upper frequency harshness I'm hearing be attributable to the speakers not being broken in?
If there is a problem I want to let the dealer know ASAP. It could take many months for me to hit the 300 hour mark and I doubt I could return them after that long.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
That doesn't sound good. Distortion doesn't occur during break-in. Is it possible your power amp is unhappy with the 4 ohm load?

EDIT: Oh wait, I just noticed you said Krell. Never mind.
markus46 is offline  
post #1003 of 1005 Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus46 View Post
Hello all,

I have just purchased a pair of CS 2.7s - ebony with outrigger stands. A beautiful sight to behold
They were the dealers demo pair which he says had about 40 hours on them.

I got them home and started listening. I immediately noticed better bass and stereo image.
Unfortunately I also noticed some 'unpleasantness' in the upper mid frequencies. It's an ear piercing distortion in some cases. Again - this is only certain frequencies. Electric guitars, violins, trumpets etc... I am not playing at high volumes.
I did not notice this when I auditioned the speakers in the dealers room - but the music he played was very sparse.

The speakers they replaced were 38y.o Yamaha NS-1000 Monitors. There rest of the system is Meridian Sooloos streaming with an MS600 endpoint/dac
Wyred4Sound STP SE preamp and Krell FPB-200 power amp.

Is it possible the speakers are still breaking in? Anyone else experience anything like this with their Thiel CS 2.7/3.7 speakers?

Many thanks
Mark
I ran my 2.7s for about 300 hours before they really"settled in." I'm driving them with a Bryston 4Bsst2 amplifier,using 12 gage cables. I usually have the 2.7s switched on, and at home-filling volume, for around five to six hours a day (I'm a widower and retired, and the neighbors don't care)

My SS2.2 took about four months to break in, as I didn't deliberately spend to much time playing SACDs or CDs with prominent low frequencies. My tastes are classical, viz., symphonies, concertos, operas, choral and organ.

IMO, the 2.7s are power hungry and need the clean watts that the Bryston (or similar) power amp can supply. BTW: I traded a early pair of 3.5s (infinite baffle) for the 2.7s, and have never looked back.

Old Fud
Old Fud is offline  
post #1004 of 1005 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
Member
 
markus46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's reassuring to hear - thanks

How would you characterise the sound you heard during early break-in vs what you hear now? Did you hear any harshness at all?

Cheers
Mark


Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fud View Post
I ran my 2.7s for about 300 hours before they really"settled in." I'm driving them with a Bryston 4Bsst2 amplifier,using 12 gage cables. I usually have the 2.7s switched on, and at home-filling volume, for around five to six hours a day (I'm a widower and retired, and the neighbors don't care)

My SS2.2 took about four months to break in, as I didn't deliberately spend to much time playing SACDs or CDs with prominent low frequencies. My tastes are classical, viz., symphonies, concertos, operas, choral and organ.

IMO, the 2.7s are power hungry and need the clean watts that the Bryston (or similar) power amp can supply. BTW: I traded a early pair of 3.5s (infinite baffle) for the 2.7s, and have never looked back.

Old Fud
markus46 is offline  
post #1005 of 1005 Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No, not harsh, It reminded me of the sound of my old ADS monitor speakers - - a little high bass heavy and a higher mid treble. A after about 100 hours, the mid and lower bass cleaned up, and and the sound gradually became linear and without any forward-sounding output in the mid tones and treble. I might not be saying this correctly, as I'm not used to the audiophile lingo for describing sound. All I can say is that at around the 300 hour point, the sound became linear from low bass to upper treble, without stressing any band of frequencies. One thing: Some speakers will "wear" on you after a couple of hours, the 2.7s do not. I can listen to them for hours at a stretch without becoming irritated. For me, the capability to enjoy protracted listening without becoming fatigued is the hallmark of an exceptional speaker.

I usually listen in the late evenings via my STAX Lambda Pro headphones , and I'd say that the sound of the 2.7s closely replicate the Lambda Pros from around the high 30 cps to the 12,000 - 15,000 range. My Pros go both higher and lower.

Old Fud
Old Fud is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off