Thiel Audio Owner's Thread - Page 38 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1111 of 1126 Old 03-16-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe View Post
Rich......any update for us?
Still tossing and turning on it, but leaning toward picking up the cherrywood 3.7s and having them re-stained if I like them.

(I'm also in a tough work situation for a while, so don't have time to concentrate on searching, buying gear).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1126 Old 03-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott911 View Post
<b>modding the cs2.4</b><br><br>
I saw a post ( that I can no longer find) where someone modified their normal cs2.4 speakers.<br><br>
They'd gotten details on what Jim Thiel had done to create the special edition cs2.4se - upgraded two capacitors per crossover if my memory serves. He posted that he'd sourced even better caps (same specs and manufacture - he just got their top-shelf caps) and was very happy with the results.<br><br>
He claimed a few bucks and some elbow grease resulted in better than "se" sound...<br><br>
I'm not ready to take a soldering iron to my own normal 2.4's (yet), but I'd like to see what this guy had done and exactly what parts he had decided to use... Anyone remember reading about this?
Out of dumb luck I just ran across this post that likely referenced my report of upgrading the caps on my 2.4 crossovers. Out of a sense of duty I joined this avsforum so the OP can contact me IF he still has 2.4s, still reads this forum, still wants to know how to go about it... I imagine this forum lets him contact me through the forum if he has >15 posts.
post #1113 of 1126 Old 03-20-2015, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by milleman62 View Post
Out of dumb luck I just ran across this post that likely referenced my report of upgrading the caps on my 2.4 crossovers. Out of a sense of duty I joined this avsforum so the OP can contact me IF he still has 2.4s, still reads this forum, still wants to know how to go about it... I imagine this forum lets him contact me through the forum if he has >15 posts.
Yes !!! That was me. Your sense of duty, sir, is very much appreciated!

I don't know that I'd have the guts to bring a soldering iron to my crossovers, but I'd love to know what you've done. I'll pm you now. ~ Scott
post #1114 of 1126 Old 03-22-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott911 View Post
Yes !!! That was me. Your sense of duty, sir, is very much appreciated!

I don't know that I'd have the guts to bring a soldering iron to my crossovers, but I'd love to know what you've done. I'll pm you now. ~ Scott
Problem is, I can't PM you as a newbie until I have 15 posts, something I found out after sending you a quick reply and having it vanish. This forum probably won't let me do this either, but Scott911 can contact me direct at scottdecker9999 at gmail...
post #1115 of 1126 Old 03-31-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, I'm now an owner of a pair of Thiel 3.7s!

I haven't received them yet, maybe this weekend or next weekend.

I found a recent pair for sale in a very nice "morado" finish. From the photos they look gorgeous, with the type of bold, interesting wood grain that I just don't get from the regular cherrywood models I was looking at previously. Though I'm not a fan generally of the dark red stain look, so I'll likely have their color altered if I keep them.

I'm excited and also a bit nervous to see if they work out in my modestly sized room, with my amps. Mostly I'm concerned with whether the bass will be overwhelming, though I've been in touch with people who have them in similar size rooms and say they sound controlled and balanced. We'll see. Hopefully I won't regret passing up on the 2.7s.
AVfile likes this.
post #1116 of 1126 Old 04-01-2015, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Well, I'm now an owner of a pair of Thiel 3.7s!

I haven't received them yet, maybe this weekend or next weekend.

I found a recent pair for sale in a very nice "morado" finish. From the photos they look gorgeous, with the type of bold, interesting wood grain that I just don't get from the regular cherrywood models I was looking at previously. Though I'm not a fan generally of the dark red stain look, so I'll likely have their color altered if I keep them.

I'm excited and also a bit nervous to see if they work out in my modestly sized room, with my amps. Mostly I'm concerned with whether the bass will be overwhelming, though I've been in touch with people who have them in similar size rooms and say they sound controlled and balanced. We'll see. Hopefully I won't regret passing up on the 2.7s.
congrats on the 3.7s! - I just wanted to offer my two cents on color changes. I personally wouldn't do it. Stain permeates the grain of the wood, so when you add more stain, you're really blending a new pigment with the existing red pigment. You can't really think of it as changing the color like you would by applying a new coat of paint on a car. This will make the result really unpredictable in my opinion. Worst case would be a splotchy finish as the uptake of the stain may very based on a number of factors including oils that the wood has been exposed to by prior owner, how the edges of the vernier will take the stain, etc. - could end up a big mess.

Hopefully you'll love the look of the 3.7's as they are once you get used to them.
post #1117 of 1126 Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks scott911.

Though that's the last thing I wanted to hear, since I bought these on the premise of changing the color if I am to keep them.

Before purchasing this pair I had shown the photos to 2 different wood refinishers, and each said the speaker could be re-finished in the color I want. I figure they would be experienced enough to see a veneer with a cherry stain, and know whether they could re-finish it properly or not. So I'm hoping they are right.
post #1118 of 1126 Old 04-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Morado is awesome and in dark red like dark cherry too, you might devalue the pair by restain it to dark cherry, as I think Morado is a non-standard wood and finish that has an 20% upcharge. Dark cherry was part of the standard wood and finish at one point, but I think Thiel moved it to the non-standard wood/stain with an up charge later. Do whatever to make you happy thou. just when you are done looking, there are 2 pr of CS3.7 available on the gon now, with what they are sking, they are practically giving them away. One with local pick up only in morado finish too.

In another news, I bought 4 Pioneer Elite In-Ceiling speaker S-IC671A the other day for upgrade my surround sound setup to ATMOS later. I think it is a mistake that Thiel discontinued the higher plane speakers now that the new Dolby new surround codec and maybe DTS:X will be using ceiling speakers, and we can't buy any Thiel ceiling speakers to timbre match our speakers. Another great move by the new management/owner.
AVfile likes this.
post #1119 of 1126 Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes I've seen those other 3.7s for sale. I'd done research on second-hand Thiels, looking at their prices through the last several years. There was a glut of re-sells in later 2014. I figured this was likely due to the changes at Thiel, discontinuing the 3.7, changing their focus. So some spooked people were selling while they could, and dealers were of course giving up on Thiel and getting rid of their demos. So I figured since all those demos were gone by the end of 2014, it might be tougher to find 3.7s. But no, they are suddenly popping up everywhere for some reason. And the prices are dropping.
(I probably paid more than most are now going to pay, though my price included shipping so it works out to similar to the other prices).

Really, I'd originally wanted a pair in amberwood, then ebony. But I didn't want to wait forever, so I bought this pair since they are already dark colored, nice looking, and had the grain I wanted should I decide to re-finish them.
post #1120 of 1126 Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I should have my 3.7s by Friday or Saturday.

The only thing is, my damned system has seemed to reach some stage of entropy. EVERYTHING is breaking down.
Not long ago I received a new CJ pre-amp, went to happily set it up and listen, and "poof" one of my CJ monoblocks dies.
So, no listening for me.

I turn to listening to music on my home theater system but...dang...it's developed some sort of subtle distortion. I didn't want to have to replace the AV receiver before 4K specs were solid in the latest gear. Damn!

After a month in the shop and something like $800 later, the CJs are fixed. I put in my CJ pre-amp and...one channel won't work! I'm still diagnosing that. Meanwhile, I switch to my original tube pre-amp...and IT TOO develops a loud rushing hiss. Now THAT will have to get fixed.

Ok, so I'll concentrate on watching movies instead. Except...my remote control system has stopped working! Something must have jiggled loose or something when I was inserting the CJ preamp, but I'm damned if I can find out what it is.
So...I start using the system, awkwardly employing all the original remotes. I get through one movie, and my PROJECTOR stops putting out an image! I can not get that working at all.

While this is going on, the amp I use for my work (sound editing) craps out and I have to put THAT into the shop. I substitute another amp I have on hand while the first one is being fixed. THAT one starts crapping out on one channel!

There is almost nothing I own is working at the moment.

And here come the Thiels.

But this is par for the course. I am well known to be the Bermuda Triangle for technology among my audio pals. Almost nothing I ever buy, be it new or used, actually works properly on first implementation. It's a running joke that when I get any new piece of gear and my pal says "How is it?" I ask "Do you think it worked?" His reply, always "Of course not."

Sigh.

I have low expectations for the Thiels working out. It's the only way to cope.....
post #1121 of 1126 Old 04-02-2015, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW, it's too bad nothing ever seemed to come of this:

http://www.cnet.com/news/rolling-sto...igh-end-audio/

After being given such amazing equipment, I could find no follow up anywhere from Rolling Stone.
post #1122 of 1126 Old Today, 10:25 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2411 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Look what I have in my studio for review...

Mark Henninger
post #1123 of 1126 Old Today, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mark, get outta here! A Thiel TT1?

You might be the first. I look forward, with an almost perverse curiosity, to reading how the new non-coherent-source models sound.

Any time frame for the review to appear?

Last edited by R Harkness; Today at 12:15 PM.
post #1124 of 1126 Old Today, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

BTW,

As I mentioned, I will be picking up my pair of CS3.7s tomorrow.

I've been in touch with Thiel with various questions and I'm really glad the current management retained some of the old timers, especially in customer service. They have been very helpful and responsive on a number of fronts to my questions.
Still a class act for customer service, thankfully.
post #1125 of 1126 Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
non-coherent-source
Actually that tweeter/mid module reminds me of Energy's coincident source module.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1126 of 1126 Old Today, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Actually that tweeter/mid module reminds me of Energy's coincident source module.
The Energy speakers would not be time/phase coherent, which is what Thiel's "coherent source" refers to. A design goal they have clearly dropped in the new speakers, sadly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers