Thiel Audio Owner's Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1141 of 1170 Old 04-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked: 5122
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Mark, I've meant to ask: how familiar are you with the classic Thiel "coherent source" speakers?

I'm wondering because, while an assessment of the new Thiels in of itself - whether they sound any good - may be interesting, the big story is new Thiel's break from the engineering principles of the past, so a sense of what was gained or lost in performance with the new designs would be of interest.
Not enough, so I'm going to see if I can audition a pair of legacy Thiels in the next 48 hours or so, using some of the same audio tracks I'm featuring in the TT1 review.

Mark Henninger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1170 Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 534
That's nice to hear Mark. That is certainly a game attempt to be thorough. Given all but 2 of the coherent source models are discontinued, that's no easy feat.

BTW, something that really galls me is that even though they still offer a legacy coherent source product like the CS2.7, all mention of the phase/time "coherent source" design has been removed:

http://www.thielaudio.com/Speakers/Hi-Fi/CS2.7

The very goal of the speaker of time/phase/frequency coherence left out of the description! So of course it doesn't compete with the new non-coherent models ("Wait, if time/phase coherence is so important a goal in this legacy model, why aren't I getting it in the new models?")

Sigh.

(Still, as I've mentioned, they have some really good people left working for them, a pleasure to deal with).
AVfile likes this.
post #1143 of 1170 Old 04-29-2015, 06:06 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
That's nice to hear Mark. That is certainly a game attempt to be thorough. Given all but 2 of the coherent source models are discontinued, that's no easy feat.

BTW, something that really galls me is that even though they still offer a legacy coherent source product like the CS2.7, all mention of the phase/time "coherent source" design has been removed:

http://www.thielaudio.com/Speakers/Hi-Fi/CS2.7

The very goal of the speaker of time/phase/frequency coherence left out of the description! So of course it doesn't compete with the new non-coherent models ("Wait, if time/phase coherence is so important a goal in this legacy model, why aren't I getting it in the new models?")

Sigh.

(Still, as I've mentioned, they have some really good people left working for them, a pleasure to deal with).
Fortunately, I live in Philly. It puts me smack in the middle of a high concentration of audio (including Thiel) dealers. I'll pull it off—hopefully.

Mark Henninger
post #1144 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Fortunately, I live in Philly. It puts me smack in the middle of a high concentration of audio (including Thiel) dealers. I'll pull it off—hopefully.
David Lewis Audio might be your best choice.
post #1145 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fud View Post
Rich wrote: "The first observation is: these speakers are NOT bright. They are just super clear and incredibly smooth, as in low of hash and distortion. This actually makes them much less fatiguing to listen to than many other speakers."

I have a large room (16 x 24 x 12) and you've just described the sound of my 2.7s (however, mine are driven by a Bryston 4BssT2)

George
Thiels where never harsh or bright. The older models were considered bright by some but that's was due to the electronics used upstream or a very bad recording.
post #1146 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Yup, agreed. I left a voice mail and sent an email. I want to get it done today or tomorrow.

Mark Henninger
post #1147 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

When I checked the dealer list on the Thiel Web Site I looked up NH and they still listed Fidelis as a dealer. They dropped the line a year ago. I wonder how accurate their dealer list is.
post #1148 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 08:50 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
When I checked the dealer list on the Thiel Web Site I looked up NH and they still listed Fidelis as a dealer. They dropped the line a year ago. I wonder how accurate their dealer list is.
Alas, David Lewis Audio has no Thiel product. It may not be possible to make that comparison in a timely fashion, that store was my best bet. I'll ask Thiel about currently-active dealers in my area.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 04-30-2015 at 10:05 AM.
post #1149 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
it's interesting they would send AVS (unless imagic a freelancer and write for others?) a pr of their new speakers for review. so that means they are aware of AVSforum and probably this thread....maybe they are trying to put an end to all our doubt, what's better than getting a good review from AVS, right? Ballsy, hope it doesn't backfire. oh Hi Thiel management!
post #1150 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Woonder if it is going to be similar to the PSB sound being designer Mark Mason came from there.
There are some common elements between the Imagine X2T towers I have in for review, the SVS Prime towers I already reviewed, and the TT1s.

Quote:
I just asked about doing a comparison to the CS1.7 (which the TT1 replaces) and Thiel offered to send me a pair. I'm considering following-up my review of the TT1s with that, but making it a separate piece.

Quote:
The dealer list is in flux. Thiel suggest contacting them directly for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post
it's interesting they would send AVS (unless imagic a freelancer and write for others?) a pr of their new speakers for review. so that means they are aware of AVSforum and probably this thread....maybe they are trying to put an end to all our doubt, what's better than getting a good review from AVS, right? Ballsy, hope it doesn't backfire. oh Hi Thiel management!
I write about AV for AVS exclusively, I am not a freelancer. The company is aware of AVS Forum, yes.

The design of the TT1 appears to come from Mark Mason's influence—he of PSB fame who also spent the last few years with SVS. If you look at the SVS Prime tower, it's a bit like a budget version of the TT1. SVS used Peerless woofers instead of Scanspeak, flat-sided cabinets instead of curved, but there are also a lot of features in common. I don't think it's a spoiler to mention that the TT1 outperforms the Prime Tower, which itself is a very good speaker.

Mark Henninger
post #1151 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I used PSB speakers for many years for my work monitors (and for music occasionally). They are certainly competently designed speakers.
post #1152 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Thumbs up

I'm sure the new Thiels will sound very good. But it looks like they are going to have to build their customer base up from scratch. Loyal Thiel owners that are fans of the Jim Thiel house sound are very unlikely to convert. I'm also sure a lot of stores left their dealership base. But I wish them success and hopefully they can rebuild the name and find a new niche in the industry.
post #1153 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just asked about doing a comparison to the CS1.7 (which the TT1 replaces) and Thiel offered to send me a pair. I'm considering following-up my review of the TT1s with that, but making it a separate piece.
As a reader I'd be interested in that comparison as a separate piece. I don't see any reason to make it a rushed comparison, if that's what it would amount to now.

(Not telling you what to do, just giving reader feedback).
post #1154 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I look forward to the review but unfortunately it doesn't matter how good the speakers sound as not one dealer I've spoken to will touch them. They all knew Jim Thiel personally and respected him so much that they despise what the accountants have done to the company. Call it stubborn but most hi-end audio dealers, at least around these parts, are eccentric, opinionated and call the shots.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #1155 of 1170 Old 04-30-2015, 09:23 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
I look forward to the review but unfortunately it doesn't matter how good the speakers sound as not one dealer I've spoken to will touch them. They all knew Jim Thiel personally and respected him so much that they despise what the accountants have done to the company. Call it stubborn but most hi-end audio dealers, at least around these parts, are eccentric, opinionated and call the shots.
The TT1 is not directly aimed at that "strictly audiophile" crowd anyhow.

Also, the local high-end shop I contacted was not too helpful; it took two phone calls and an email to get a one-sentence reply "Sorry Mark. I have no Thiel products left in stock." And when I thanked 'em and asked about visiting the showroom anyhow, I got no reply at all. Way to go, high-end shop. It reminds me why I have not gone into one of those stores for over a decade.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 05-01-2015 at 06:43 AM.
post #1156 of 1170 Old 05-01-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The TT1 is not directly aimed at that "strictly audiophile" crowd anyhow.

Also, the local high-end shop I contacted was not too helpful; it took two phone calls and an email to get a one-sentence reply "Sorry Mark. I have no Thiel products left in stock." And when I thanked 'em and asked about visiting the showroom anyhow, I got no reply at all. Way to go, high-end shop. It reminds me why I have not gone into one of those stores for over a decade.
That's too bad.

Over many years I've experienced some excellent audio dealers, a lot of eccentrics, and some classically bad treatment.
One famous audio store in New York (this was years ago) was well known to be snobby to anyone who didn't look like they were full of money, or to young people. And that's exactly the vibe I encountered, almost visible snearing, and asking to hear anything was waved off and excuses were made.

The worst example was actually a high end store in Toronto, which had a similar reputation. I brought my brother-in-law in to the store to shop for some high end speakers. He was in to high end sound, and also happened to be a self-made multimillionaire (he lived in Tokyo at the time and was visiting me). He had been interested in meridian speakers or sonus fabor. They had exactly the speakers he wanted to hear in one demo room. But when we asked to hear them the salespeople were dismissive.
They took a look at this guy in jeans and just said, "sorry, it's not set up." My BIL was like "What do you mean, we can see it's all set up right here." They salesman, using his "look, don't you get the hint" scowl said "the CD player isn't hooked up." (The CD player was sitting right there in the rack - if it wasn't hooked up, all it needed was the interconnects to be attached). I told him, look, my BIL was in from Tokyo, and he didn't have access there to hear these speakers, which is why we'd just made a long drive to this high end store. Can we just audition the speakers?

The salesguy just shook his head and told us to go to another store.

We left incredibly incensed, disgusted. And my BIL went right to another High End store and dropped many thousands of dollars on high end speakers there, Meridian sources, and Krell amplification. Boy did that idiot store miss out!

I mentioned the story to a friend who was writing for a well known Canadian high end audio magazine at the time, and he was so enraged he wrote a story about it. The high end store naturally saw the story and apparently the salespeople who screwed up, offending and sending away a rich person who would have spent lots of money there, got a dressing down. The next time I showed up I was certainly treated much better. (And hopefully they learned the lesson of not judging books by their cover).
post #1157 of 1170 Old 05-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
As a reader I'd be interested in that comparison as a separate piece. I don't see any reason to make it a rushed comparison, if that's what it would amount to now.

(Not telling you what to do, just giving reader feedback).
OK, now t\what has to happen is members need to ask for that follow-up with the CS1.7 comparison in the review's comments! If there's enough support, I'll get to keep the TT1s around for a little while longer in order to get it done, which I would not mind at all. Now on the AVS homepage: Thiel TT1 Tower Speakers Official AVS Forum Review
Woof Woof likes this.

Mark Henninger

Last edited by imagic; 05-09-2015 at 04:23 AM.
post #1158 of 1170 Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've moved the Thiel 3.7s even closer, now approximately 7 feet away, and spacing them out further. It's closer to ah Audio-Physic-type set up, which I've often favored. This makes for a larger soundstage, greater instrument "size," more immersive sound, yet it retains excellent image focus and density. The speakers truly "disappear" producing very life-sized images when it's on the recording.

The bass pitch and control, again using my Conrad Johnson Premier 12 tube monoblocks, is just amazing. It's like the bass has it's own servo-control it just stops and starts on a dime, is holographic (e.g. never bloated, always focused in the soundstage coherently with the instrument). It's the most tonally controlled bass I've heard in my room, and among the best I've ever heard in that respect.

A musician friend heard them and literally found the realism spooky. In fact, that was what my other pal (who writes audio reviews) said when he heard some vocal recordings through the Thiels - that it was almost unsettlingly real. My pal has somewhat similar tastes to mine, we like a rich sound, but as close to neutral as possible, but both hate over bright sound. He said he'd practically run screaming from a Thiel 3.7 demo at one of the audio shows due to what he felt was an over-bright sound. So he was dubious this was going to work out.
But once he heard the 3.7s at my place he did a 180 degree turn around on them, found the sound open, realistic, but utterly relaxing, organic and easy to listen to. (I think this is a particular attribute of Thiels paired with nice tube amps, in my experience). He said "I have to admit, you always know what you are doing when you buy speakers" ;-)

And, the final kicker: I just recently got around to trying the 3.7s with my beloved old Eico HF-81 17W/side tube integrated amp. Given the Thiel's notorious current demands I figured this was more for try-for-the-hell-of-it and didn't expect much. Hot damn the Thiels sound AMAZING driven by the Eico! The Thiels just semed to reproduce the sonic virtues I've always loved about the Eico amp - the sound just generally became bigger, more lush, bass seemed to extend significantly lower (which I attribute to the Eico likely not controlling the woofers quite as well), yet the sound was sparklingly clear, believable, and had that buttery organic tonal richness that makes acoustic sources sound so....acoustic...and gorgeous.

The bass isn't as controlled as with the CJ amp, but the Thiel's bass character still seems "in grip" and in control, even as the bass sounds a bit more prominent. So it's still for most tracks great bass performance, and sometimes even better in ways than the CJ amps (sometimes the added richness is nice, especially with classical music).

At the moment I think the 3.7/Eico amp pairing is my favorite.

So, to sum up again: the old "put big floor-standers in a big room" and "The Thiels demand big power" and "place the Thiels at a greater distance than other speakers" are useful generalities, perhaps most likely to get the best out of them. But they aren't rules written in stone.
I'm thwarting all 3 of those rules, and hearing some of the best sound I've ever heard at home, and indeed more enjoyable than most of the systems I've heard elsewhere over many years.
post #1159 of 1170 Old 05-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
It's like the bass has it's own servo-control it just stops and starts on a dime.
I remember way back circa 1995 after I got my first pair of CS2.2s, I was conversing with someone on either this forum or some precursor to it, and she made a remark which stayed with me to this day. She was referring to "the beguiling speed of the Thiels." Sounds like you hear it, too.

On an unrelated note, I wonder whether we should split this Thiel owners' thread into Old Thiel and New Thiel. I won't have much interest in the new ones.
post #1160 of 1170 Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup. One of the things I remember most vividly when the Thiel CS6s were at my house was the bass performance.
post #1161 of 1170 Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 50
That's what I fell in love with.

Even on the CS1.6, the bass control was just spectacular. I was so addicted, I ended up getting a CS2.4SE that was more than what I wanted to pay

Before finally getting the CS3.7
post #1162 of 1170 Old 07-13-2015, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Centre channel recommendations

Hi folks,

Does anybody have any specific recommendations for a centre channel, in between a pair of CS2.4's? I would assume that the MCS1 is the best match, but they're pretty hard to come by. What about the SCS4, PowerPoint 1.2, or even the PowerPlane 1.2? Maybe something that's not even Thiel?

Cheers,
Warren
post #1163 of 1170 Old 07-14-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I've been trying to sell my old MCS-1 for ages ... pity you're not closer !

Cheers,
Peter M
post #1164 of 1170 Old 07-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffron_boots View Post
Does anybody have any specific recommendations for a centre channel, in between a pair of CS2.4's? I would assume that the MCS1 is the best match, but they're pretty hard to come by. What about the SCS4, PowerPoint 1.2, or even the PowerPlane 1.2? Maybe something that's not even Thiel?
SCS4 will work. Maybe even better than the MCS1 due to the coaxial drivers.

PowerPoint & PowerPlane are wall/ceiling mounted. SCS4 would need a stand. They all use the same drivers, so your room setup will dictate which you choose.

I would try to say with "old school" Thiel for best timbre matching.
post #1165 of 1170 Old 08-20-2015, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi everyone

i have a question on the px05 or 02crossover . i m using 2.3i for front . the theory of the px02 or 05 crossover confuse me .

the connection between was a speaker cable from the power amp to crossover, so the front will still produce the full range signal(because the proccessor have to set large) and the subwoofer as well , so is that means they will duplicate the frequency?

or the crossover will only kick in at some point that my 2.3i cant reach that low ?px05 have data base inside?

as Jim Thiel said , the crossover he made will have better performance compare to the av proccessor .thats why i m curious how it works

appreciate for your help

thanks
post #1166 of 1170 Old 08-21-2015, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by claero View Post
hi everyone

i have a question on the px05 or 02crossover . i m using 2.3i for front . the theory of the px02 or 05 crossover confuse me .

the connection between was a speaker cable from the power amp to crossover, so the front will still produce the full range signal(because the proccessor have to set large) and the subwoofer as well , so is that means they will duplicate the frequency?

or the crossover will only kick in at some point that my 2.3i cant reach that low ?px05 have data base inside?

as Jim Thiel said , the crossover he made will have better performance compare to the av proccessor .thats why i m curious how it works

appreciate for your help

thanks
It's not a crossover really.

The speakers run full range - so the PX05/2 does not muck up the phase/response of the internal crossovers.

But Thiel KNOWS the frequency response of your speakers, where it falls off and how quickly.

So the PX looks at the input signal and filters out what YOUR SPEAKER is already producing and sends whats left to the smartsub which fills in/augments the rest

Smart, isn't it?
AVfile likes this.
post #1167 of 1170 Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

My home theater has 7 "old Thiel" speakers. SCS4T for L & R, SCS4 for C, PowerPoints for SL & SR, and PowerPlanes for SBL & SBR. Despite the model differences, these are essentially identical speakers.

Now that old Thiel speakers are scarce, what would you recommend for Atmos ceiling speakers to be reasonably timbre-matched with these speakers? (I looked on eBay for PowerPlanes, which would be ideal, but there are only a few and some with stupid prices.) Thanks!

Last edited by bweissman; 08-28-2015 at 12:25 PM.
post #1168 of 1170 Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
I was able to purchase 4 powerplanes for 1k total from audiogon. I did hook them up to make sure they were all working properly, but still haven't installed them in ceiling as i need to purchase atmos pre/pro which probably won't happen until next spring.

HTPCat
"Give Me More Audio & Video Toys"

post #1169 of 1170 Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffron_boots View Post
Hi folks,

Cheers,
Warren
I used to use a SCS4 for my center channel with a pair of CS2.4s, then upgraded to a MCS1. The MCS1 was a better match with the CS2.4s, sound is more seamless. If you can, you should try to get the MSC1. have patience, one will show up in ebay or audiogon every so often.
post #1170 of 1170 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I have a pair of Thiel 2.3s and a SCS 2 as my center speaker. I am looking for new surrounds for a 5.1 setup (using cheap JBLs currently). I am thinking about some Power Planes, but would appreciate any advice. If I get the Power Planes, what is the best position to install them.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers